Home
I purchased this scope from a fella on another site. It is a Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 CDS with the firedot duplex. I got it in today and was looking it over. And noticed a lot of marks on the inside of the objective lens and on the other smaller lens on the inside. I really like the scope but I'm concerned with this issue. I was just wondering what caused this problem. The pic is looking into the objective end of the scope. Thanks for any info.

[Linked Image]
Looks like something took a schidt on the glass from the inside.

It shouldn't be like that.

MAYBE a small insignificant speck of dust would be visible on a lower end Leupold, but that scope looks like it has lost the gas, and perhaps someone has been inside it that shouldn't have been.
I'm not a scope expert and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in my life but that appears to be lens separation of some sort. No guarantees, of course.
One thing about it, unless someone HAS been inside the scope, Leupold will fix it for you.

Don't throw it away...
Just send it to Leupold. If it hasn't been tampered with they will fix it. I sent a 36X to them a week ago and had a note that it will be back within 2 weeks.
Had an otherwise perfect, vintage Redfield 3x9 with what appeared to be the same affliction....returned it.
Looks like the coating may be the problem
Send it to Leupold, with a note explaining what/ where etc.
They will fix it for a minimal cost at most, with good chance free, and return it to you in new condition.

All the info you need is on their web site.

I got a 1.75-6 off here and it was the same way. I contacted Leupold and they said there was a batch of scopes that had something wrong with the interior coating. I sent it in on their dime and it was fixed quick and returned perfect.
lens separation.
Possibly left in a car trunk in a very hot place.
I would ask the seller for money back if he did not disclose the issues.
Send it in and you will be a leupold customer for life. They will take care of you. They weren't it not to break no matter who bought it ..it truly it a forever warranty..
Probably just going to send it to Leupold. Seller said he wasn't aware of any issue before shipping, said he would refund my money if I wanted. I guess we will see what Leupold says on Monday. Maybe they will fix it.
Front seal leak. Leupold will fix it.
Please let us know how it turns out.....
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Just send it to Leupold. If it hasn't been tampered with they will fix it. I sent a 36X to them a week ago and had a note that it will be back within 2 weeks.

Agree.
© 24hourcampfire