Home
Posted By: Pete E James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Very sad to hear the news that James Garner has passed away aged 86, after suffering a stroke..

Very much enjoyed the roles he played while off screen, he seemed to avoid the need to be constantly in the media spot light..

RIP Mr Garner

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
R.I.P
Posted By: eyeball Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Amen.
Posted By: 257James Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Loved the Rockford Files when I was a kid growing up; loved the gold Firebird too.
Sad to hear. He shipped with the Merchant Marine during WWII, twice wounded in Korea.
RIP. This is strange, because just yesterday I was watching a commercial for The Rockford Files, and thinking about what a good actor he's always been, and played some great characters over the years, and that I had enjoyed watching the Rockford Files years ago. I also had assumed that he'd been gone for a while already, i.e., I wasn't aware he was still alive, as I hadn't seen or heard reference to him in many years. I also thought I remember hearing that he had died many years ago, but it appears that was incorrect.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Maverick... RIP.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
One of the good ones... RIP
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
James Garner was an talented actor, with an amazing presence, and handsome as hell. I loved him in The Rockford Files, Maverick, and many of his movies. But most especially the movie "The Americanization of Emily", which is pretty good when you consider that I truly hate musicals. I think I might not mind them so much if there was not so much singing and dancing in them.

The best of the best are slowly dwindling down to nothing, sad for the world of entertainment, and sadder for us who have had the privilege of watching them and experiencing their ability to bring their characters to life for us, even long after we have left the movie houses, the drive-ins, and switched off our television sets frown

May You Rest In Peace Mr. Garner.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Maverick... RIP.

He was always my favorite of the four. Seemed like a good guy.
Posted By: ingwe Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Damn. He was hard not to like�.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Thank you Mister Garner for all the good times.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I'm watching the F1 race and they just mentioned it on the broadcast. I enjoyed his work also, seemed like a pretty cool guy.

RIP JG
Posted By: bea175 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
RIP Bret
Posted By: maddog Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Yep, a great man. RIP.

maddog
Posted By: 12344mag Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
James was one of the good ones, RIP Jimmy.
Posted By: sackett Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
RIP Jimmy Rockford
Posted By: Deepsouth Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I watch "Support your local sheriff" and "Support your local gunfighter" every time they come on tv and laugh like I've never seen it before. Garner was a great actor.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Hate to hear that he is gone, but what a great run.
Posted By: hatari Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
The Great Escape
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I enjoyed his work in Maverick, Rockford Files, and other movies and TV shows. He also made a movie about F1 racing called Grand Prix which was great. Rest in peace, Mr. Garner.
Posted By: Scotty Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
As a kid I remember coming home from school and watching reruns of Maverick. James Garner was a good actor over the years.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
One of the good ones... RIP

My sentiments, as well.

donsm70
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Loved the Rockford Files when I was a kid growing up; loved the gold Firebird too.

+1. As a kid I loved the show and I really wanted to drive the gold Firebird. They don't make his kind anymore.
Posted By: lastround Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
R.I.P.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
RIP-Jim. My favorite was Maverick.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
James Garner was an talented actor, with an amazing presence, and handsome as hell.

I would agree with you. With most men I always say what do women see in us men but with Jim I could understand what women would see in him.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Gee's the week just started and its off to a bad week, RIP James!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Funny,,, I was watching "Sledge" for the umpteenth time on the western channel the other night and got to thinking about what a great actor he is (was). Right up there with the best of them in my book.

RIP
Posted By: milespatton Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I think I might not mind them so much if there was not so much singing and dancing in them.

Brings to mind what my cousin said about the beach. He said the beach would be OK if it wasn't for all that damn sand.
James was my favorite Maverick when I was young. RIP. miles
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
one of the few that I'd consider was really good at his craft.

RIP Jim
Always liked his role in The Great Escape...

He was definitely a good one...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by milespatton
I think I might not mind them so much if there was not so much singing and dancing in them.

Brings to mind what my cousin said about the beach. He said the beach would be OK if it wasn't for all that damn sand.

I am with your cousin on that one grin
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
He was one of those who never let fame go to his head. A lot of the older great actors were like that; him, Chuck Norris, John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Jimmy Stewart, just to name a few. Most of the current ones disgust me with their "I'm somebody special" mentality.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Grand Prix...Hour of the Gun...and with friends like �Angel� Rockford didn't need too many enemies.
Garner always impressed me as an admirable man. He certainly had good taste in toys and knew how to have fun.

James Garner's four place Indy car, so he could share his passion for racing.

[Linked Image]

And here is his 1970 Olds 442 restored to racing form and recently offered for sale.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Garner's character was one of the few who made it out, as I recall. I think he rowed to Switzerland with the blind character.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
via con Dios Jim my friend. you will always live in my heart.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14

Whenever me or one of my buddies did the quick reverse turn around like he did in the firebird, we called it "pullin' a Rockford"
Posted By: atvalaska Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
the red line in "support your local sheriff"...lol
When receiving the 2005 Screen Actors Guild's lifetime achievement award: "I'm not at all sure how I got here."
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Jim Garner was the best person to ever come out of Oklahoma. Well, there was this one girl....
Originally Posted by atvalaska
the red line in "support your local sheriff"...lol
I saw that in the theater with a friend of mine when I was a kid. That one and Support Your Local Gunfighter. Chuck Connors played the heavy in the latter.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I thought the blind guy, Donald Pleasence, got shot walking towards some German soldiers after Garner crashed the plane. I don't remember what happened to Garner, but I don't think it involved a boat. It has been too long since I've watched that movie. I might have to correct that oversight tonight.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I thought the blind guy, Donald Pleasence, got shot walking towards some German soldiers after Garner crashed the plane. I don't remember what happened to Garner, but I don't think it involved a boat. It has been too long since I've watched that movie. I might have to correct that oversight tonight.
Is it on tonight?
Posted By: calikooknic Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Read this earlier this morning. Too bad, he was certainly one hell of a great actor, and never saw an interview that he was anything but gracious and humble.

RIP Jim.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
RIP Mr. James Garner. You'll be missed.

Posted By: barm Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Sad. I really enjoyed watching him. RIP James Garner.
Posted By: vairboy Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
While away from the family for a few months, I've been watching The Rockford Files on Netflix. The entire show holds up very well and Garner is a superb actor. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Charles Bronson as Danny the "Tunnel King" made it out in the rowboat.

James Garner as the "Scrounger" was captured as he stays with Donald Pleasence the "Forger" who is killed.

Many of the actors were veterans of WWII or Korean.

Pleasence actually was shot down and spent a year in a very real German prisoner-of-war camp Stalag Luft I.
It will be at my house. I think I have the video and if I don't, I'll probably down load it.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Every time one of the old actors or actresses passes I feel like a little bit of my life is passing away as well. Change . . . Time . . . Eternity are things that come to mind.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Every time one of the old actors or actresses passes I feel like a little bit of my life is passing away as well. Change . . . Time . . . Eternity are things that come to mind.

I agree. What I'm thinking about right now is who of the good ones is left? I'm afraid with the passing of James Garner that was about the last one on my list of favorites. To me, the new generation of actors just don't seem to generate the presence in a movie that the old guys did..Tom Selleck is about the only exception I can think of right off hand.
Posted By: g5m Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
R.I.P. James Garner.
I feel the same way.
Posted By: johnw Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
I also watched Rockford Files some but liked the guy better in movies.

IMO 2 of his best were

Decoration Day
Space Cowboys

Posted By: joken2 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14

I agree. What I'm thinking about right now is who of the good ones is left? I'm afraid with the passing of James Garner that was about the last one on my list of favorites. To me, the new generation of actors just don't seem to generate the presence in a movie that the old guys did..Tom Selleck is about the only exception I can think of right off hand.

Tom Selleck had a semi-regular acting role for a while on the Rockford Files series.
Originally Posted by joken2
Tom Selleck had a semi-regular acting role for a while on the Rockford Files series.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
RIP Mr. Garner.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Damn. He was one of those guys I just took for granted because he just 'always was'. Guys my age grew up watching him in various roles throughout our lives. He will be missed. The Notebook was excellent, IMO.
Yep, good guy for sure.

He had that casual, anti-hero, every man appeal.

Can't believe he was 86.

RIP.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Yep, good guy for sure.

He had that casual, anti-hero, every man appeal.
Perfect description.
Posted By: eyeball Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
Yep, as opposed to the plethora of super Heros who survive multiple improbable events only by luck in each third rate thriller they star in.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14
One of my favorites, thought he seemed like a good man...for an ultra liberal anyway.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/20/14

Same here and especially with the passing of James Garner.

Like a lot of guys here, I grew up watching and enjoying The Rockford Files and I've been waiting with a bit of dread for a number of years for this news. He was one of my favorites from my childhood era and it seems the last of the great actors from my youth to go.

RIP, Mr. Garner and thanks for the great work you left behind.
Lance White. Those two episodes were funny as hell.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Barkoff
One of my favorites, thought he seemed like a good man...for an ultra liberal anyway.
You should make a picture of Jim Rockford your avatar, Barkoff.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Jim Garner was the best person to ever come out of Oklahoma. Well, there was this one girl....

grin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I have had that same avatar since I joined up, must be some sort of 24hr record for the longest running avatar. smile
RIP Mr Garner. One of the good guys.

Eastwood & Hackman are about the only great Actors left from that generation.

Loved Rockford Files when I was a kid! Space Cowboys and and the last Maverick movie he made are two of my most favorite James Garner movies.

I have had that same avatar since I joined up, must be some sort of 24hr record for the longest running avatar. smile
Most likely. smile
Posted By: Tracks Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14

Most likely. smile

Thinking I have that beat.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
One of my favorites. From Norman, Oklahoma. Wounded in action in Korea. OU fan. Great actor.

Expat
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14

grin

HEY!!

Watch yo mouf! Me and Will Rogers are BOTH from the Oklahoma, the "home of the red man."

Give us some credit too!
Posted By: Barbarosa Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
I couldn't wait to get home from school in the early 70's to watch reruns of Maverick every afternoon. I also enjoyed many of his other movies and Rockford Files. R.I.P.
Posted By: Dale K Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by Deepsouth
I watch "Support your local sheriff" and "Support your local gunfighter" every time they come on tv and laugh like I've never seen it before. Garner was a great actor.

I caught 'gunfighter' the other day, even my wife watched and enjoyed it.

RIP sir,

Dale
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by joken2

[Linked Image]

They were great together. Everything came so easy for Selleck and so hard for Garner. Including getting the pistol out of the glove box in Selleck's fancy car.

In the late 1990s, James and Lois Garner built a 12,000-square-foot house on a 400-acre ranch north of Santa Barbara.

"My wife and I felt ... we'd just watch the sunset from the front porch," Garner said in 2000.
"But then the phone started ringing with all these wonderful offers, and we decided, 'Heck, let's stay in the business for a while.'"
Posted By: grouseman Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Always liked the characters he played. Sorry to see him go. I'll have to watch The Great Escape this week in his honour.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Always one of myfavorite actors, and a personally likable guy.

How many of y'all remember Nichols ?
Posted By: W7ACT Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14

grin

What a loss with the passing of Maverick.

He ranks right up there with another Oklahoman if memory serves me right who was killed in an airplane crash in Alaska, Will Rogers.

Sorry about that Big Buck I posted this before I got down to your Post.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
I could count on one hand the number of celebrities that I could give a damn about. He was certainly one of them.
RIP.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
I'm kind of suprised by all the adulation here on the site, I think this is one of the first times I have seen the members of the 24CA ignore the liberal politics of an ultra liberal .
I did the same. I bought his autobiography , but the wife happened to read it first and relayed some of his political views, after that I decided to skip the read, I didn't want to hear liberal preachings from somebody I had always admired. I was pretty surprised to learn he was as left as he was.
Posted By: Tracks Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Always one of myfavorite actors, and a personally likable guy.

How many of y'all remember Nichols ?

I remember the opening scene, one of the best ever and very much in character for the type of roles he often played
Posted By: jpb Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by Tracks
[quote=Barkoff]One of my favorites, thought he seemed like a good man...for an ultra liberal anyway.

Most likely. smile

Thinking I have that beat.

Tracks, I got you beat by half a year... smirk

I joined June 2001 and I've had the same avatar all the time.

Others predate me I know, I wonder how many have never changed avatars though.

One of the old guard will soon be along to top me...

Just to keep it on topic, I enjoyed watching Garner in Rockford files when I was in high school.

John
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
He was one of those who never let fame go to his head. A lot of the older great actors were like that; him, Chuck Norris, John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Jimmy Stewart, just to name a few. Most of the current ones disgust me with their "I'm somebody special" mentality.

I like Chuck but..........great actors list?

RIP Jimmy!
Posted By: FreeMe Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
I'm kind of suprised by all the adulation here on the site, I think this is one of the first times I have seen the members of the 24CA ignore the liberal politics of an ultra liberal .
I did the same. I bought his autobiography , but the wife happened to read it first and relayed some of his political views, after that I decided to skip the read, I didn't want to hear liberal preachings from somebody I had always admired. I was pretty surprised to learn he was as left as he was.

I just appreciate excellence. If you are good at your craft, congenial to others, and keep your leftist politics mostly to yourself......I can still like you.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14

Wasn't aware he was an ultra liberal.
Evidently he wasn't an obnoxious, in your face, bigmouth intolerant liberal.
I can stand a quiet respectful liberal more than an obnoxious bigmouth know it all conservative.
(And I don't like liberals!) shocked
Posted By: Pete E Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
I can stand a quiet respectful liberal more than an obnoxious bigmouth know it all conservative.

Ditto...
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
I'm kind of surprised by all the adulation here on the site, I think this is one of the first times I have seen the members of the 24CA ignore the liberal politics of an ultra liberal .

My adulation is different, I am Canadian, in truth our politics are all screwed up so I don't pay to much damn attention to the political leanings of anyone else. In the end we are all screwed equally.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
If only.... smile
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: James Garner Passes.. - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

Ditto...

By 1960 I had pretty well figured out that watching good movies and listening to good music was going to require ignoring the politics of the performers.
© 24hourcampfire