Home
We have spent the last week or so around North Fork, Idaho. I decided to visit the graves of two of my favorite writers, one in Salmon and one in Gibbonsville. Quite a contrast in what the two places looked like but I am glad I looked each up. Both were great writers and good citizens in their community.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
May they rest in peace.

Good for you.

Sad in a way, they are gone. Yet, they are in a better place now.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by TNrifleman
May they rest in peace.

Agreed, Hagel was great.
Two of the best in the Shooting World
Originally Posted by bea175
Two of the best in the Shooting World

AMEN!
Best of the best.

You have made the Fire extremely worthwhile, and thanks.
Both deserve the respect they have earned.

Steve
Elmer had a great influence on my moving here. agree or not with his outlook he was a great man.
me I happen to agree, big is best.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
agree or not with his outlook he was a great man.

Yes he was. I always admired his "No man is a stranger" attitude. I would love to be talking to him again instead of visiting his grave. Somewhere I have some slides of the first time I was at his house in Salmon. I need to try and find them and convert them to digital format.
please do. would be great to see. how old was he when you visited?
Thanks for this - giant gun men not to be duplicated.
Thanks for posting the pics. As close as I'll ever get to these men.
I would have cherished the opportunity to share a campfire with these men. Perhaps in the hereafter I'll have a second chance.
They couldn't have picked prettier places to be laid to rest
Two great writers indeed, but I'd go with 3. I believe Hemingway is laid to rest in Idaho.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Two great writers indeed, but I'd go with 3. I believe Hemingway is laid to rest in Idaho.

Make it four � to include Ted Trueblood.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Make it four � to include Ted Trueblood.

But don't try to find a grave.

Ted was cremated, and the slip stream of an airplane blew his ashes over Owyhee County.
What ever happened to Elmer Keiths brother Silas ?
Originally Posted by CCCC
giant gun men not to be duplicated.

I learned more about all the aspects, why's & how's of loading from reading Hagel than all other sources combined.

MM
Idared: Thanks for sharing the fine photos of those two gravesites.
I get through Gibbonsville fairly often and will stop next time and pay my respects to a fine author and a fine gentleman whilst there.
Dittoes when I get through Salmon next.
Your post reminds me that I always wanted to find out which mountain range Bradford O'Connor spread his fathers (the DEAN of all outdoor writers Jack O'Connor!) cremated remains over - all I know is the mountain range in question held Mountain Sheep.
So that could be about anywhere in the Rockies - anyone know exactly which range Jack O'Connors remains were spread in?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire