Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
I have hundreds and hundreds of old vinyl LPs. How much of a task is it to digitize these?
I looked online, and saw several different turntables that are equipped with USB ports.
Practical? Time consuming? Heck, I'm retired, it's too hot to be in the woods. Time is one thing I have a lot of right now.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
I have tried that route but the software was always lacking.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Some of those work very nicely and the process is simple. The work time it takes - minor for setup, then add the time it takes for you to again enjoy listening to each of those old 33s while it is being converted.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
maybe that is what bothered me. I expected to just be able to rip them like digital to digital.
getting impatient in my old age.
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
I don't have any recommendations for software, because I haven't checked any out recently, but you can edit out pops and scratches with the right program.
I would think that might add some time to the recording process.

Do a search for info on transferring vinyl to digital. There should be tons of info available, including how to hook up the turntable and the best software for the process.

Myron
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Originally Posted by CCCC
then add the time it takes for you to again enjoy listening to each of those old 33s while it is being converted.

33s ??? Are ya nutz ? Sam is still diggin' 78s. His last dog's name was Nipper grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
do you want every song?

might be easier just to figure out how to download MP3 from the internet

(such as using Mozilla Firefox and converting youtube videos to MP3 by clicking a button.)
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Denny, I have some old 78s as well as the boxes of 33s. I gave away the old 45s long ago.
Found a turntable on TigerDirect's web site. $107, and comes with the cables and software.
What the heck, I might as well just order it and get to work.
What is pushing me, is not being able to listen to tons of my favorite music anymore. Jimmy Smith, for example.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Sam I tried this when my dad was sick so he could enjoy his platters while taking his chemo / transfusions. The software sucked at the time ( and admittedly I did not have professional equipment ) and he always said the songs sounded washed out. It sounded OK, but that was about it.

I never could get that depth that you get from those old platters in a digital format. If you listen to a good turntable with a nice set of headphones and then listen to the same song on an iPod you will know what I mean.
Posted By: Elkhunter3006 Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
I have a unit that will record vinyl to CD. It's very simple It will also record cassette to CD.

I think that it cost around $250 a few years back.

The unit will play 33, 45 & 78 rpm records.

Oh yeah, it's direct to CD, no computer required.

Posted By: Gibby Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
A lot of people are cleaning up their old LP's and listening to them with a nice turntable and system. Going back to the pureness of analog music. I agree with them.
THIS is the unit I am going to order today from TigerDirect
Posted By: MColeman Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
I considered doing this at one time but have since discovered that the songs I really liked were already on YouTube with very few exceptions. I'm apparently a dinosaur when it comes to music judging by what others post as their favorites. I think some of you have lost your minds. Who can call the screeching of Janis Joplin music? wink
Posted By: MColeman Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Here's a good example of music of my youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0vYO-9uJI
Posted By: boutdoors Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
My wife bought me a player that will record vinyl to CD I've used it to copy my 70's albums then am able to put them into ITune's library and download them to my Ipod. I have an FM transmitter that I can hear on my car speakers, so I have music that I like whenever I go on a long trip.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

What is pushing me, is not being able to listen to tons of my favorite music anymore. Jimmy Smith, for example.

If that's all you really want (the end result), simply use this tool.

You Tube Converter

Simply enter the web address of the You Tube video/music, as you have listed above, into the converter, then save the converted MP3 file which you can then transfer to whatever medium you desire.

MP3 is compressed, so it not quite as good as a digital master, but for old ears or anything less than an audiophile, it will do.

MM
Bill, I was not aware of that converter. It will certainly answer a need. Thanks. laugh
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Here's another converter........sometimes one or the other website isn't always working.

Another MP3 Converter

MM
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Vinyl to disc? - 07/22/14
Sweet! Unlimited free music!
I tried that first one, and dang if it doesn't work just fine. I made a folder for converted YouTube music, and can load that into iTunes and into my iPad and iPhone.
Great, and thanks again. laugh
© 24hourcampfire