Home
Posted By: saddlesore Free Farrier rasp - 07/22/14
Any blacksmiths out there making knives, etc. I have about a half dozen of old farrier rasp that are dull. Good steel in them, but not worth sharpening.

Someone can have them if you pay the shipping.
PM me if interested
Posted By: 257wby Re: Free Farrier rasp - 07/22/14
I know Rob out in Rhode Island went to knife school, bet he could use em.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Free Farrier rasps - 07/22/14
Vince-
You should anneal a couple ( oven, weed burner, etc) and then cut/grind hay-string knives out of them.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Free Farrier rasps - 07/22/14
They make some pretty good spurs too...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Free Farrier rasps - 07/22/14
Won't make them from a rasp, cold. wink
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Free Farrier rasps - 07/22/14
Originally Posted by ironbender
Vince-
You should anneal a couple ( oven, weed burner, etc) and then cut/grind hay-string knives out of them.

I got too many things to do now as it is. I welded a triangle knife form a sickle bar onto my pitch fork between two tines and that cuts the hay strings pretty good.

I have bought a few good Nickelson rasp over the years, but was at an auction and they had dozen rasp that had a little rust on them, other than that they were new, still in a the wrapper. I bought them all for $6.

I'll never use them all up so I have one in my truck, in my horse trailer, in the tack room, next to the stalls.. Heck I use them more to make gun stocks than to rasp hoofs
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Free Farrier rasp - 07/23/14
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Any blacksmiths out there making knives, etc. I have about a half dozen of old farrier rasp that are dull. Good steel in them, but not worth sharpening.

Someone can have them if you pay the shipping.
PM me if interested

V.,

you are a good guy! Thanks for putting this up. I have no need or use, but appreciate you putting it for those who can make use of it.

Sycamore
© 24hourcampfire