Home
Posted By: GunGeek Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
Hey Ya'll, I'm trying to get some ideas of how to do storage or possibly re-arrange my man cave. If you have them and you don't mind, can you post photos of your Man Cave?

My shop is 50% gunsmithing, and 50% motorcycle maintenance.

Not mine, but check out this reloading room:

[Linked Image]

And here's a nice clean home machine shop:
[Linked Image]

I'll see if I can post photos of what I have thus far later tonight.
Steelhead can help with this one.
Posted By: deflave Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
I don't have a "man cave." But this is the where I do my gunsmithing.

There is a place for everything, and everything is in its place:

[Linked Image]

Travis
[Linked Image]
ah, the old yard stick duct tape soldering iron trick....

did you have to drink all 6 bottles of thinking juice to come up with that rig?

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Travis
You're so predictable...the beer six pack is empty wink
Posted By: KFWA Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
finished the exterior just before winter, finished the first floor this spring

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I'm intrigued - is the other end mounted in the vise?

[Linked Image]

Travis

I didn't realize you were so compulsively neat...

smirk

did you have to drink all 6 bottles of thinking juice to come up with that rig?

I don't recall.

Travis
Originally Posted by KFWA

[Linked Image]

This looks like the place Darth Vader would reload.

Travis

certainly looks that way.

My guess is that mr flave was applying pin point heat to an action screw.

A lesser man would have settled for simply holding the soldering iron to the fastener with his hand....

But, the lesser man would then not be free to drink bottles of "faceplant" with one hand and GFY himself with the other hand while the action screw heats up.

My work in progress.

[Linked Image]
[quote=KFWA]

This looks like the place Darth Vader would reload.

Travis

black hides bad carpentry
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My work in progress.

[Linked Image]

I hope to have something similar on the hideaway spot one day soon

black hides bad carpentry

Nice.

Travis

A lesser man would have settled for simply holding the soldering iron to the fastener with his hand....

But, the lesser man would then not be free to drink bottles of "faceplant" with one hand and GFY himself with the other hand while the action screw heats up.

Correct.

I am not the most patient man.

Another tip is to use your Thermopen to monitor the heat levels of the screw.

Travis
Here's a shot of one of my reloading areas if anybody was looking for some other ideas.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Bone stock rifles and factory ammo for me......I ordered this for my mancave.

[Linked Image]
finished the exterior just before winter, finished the first floor this spring

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, VERY classy!!! Hell, my bedroom doesn't look that nice.

Ace's Mancave in K-Town.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wageslave

Bone stock rifles and factory ammo for me......I ordered this for my mancave.

[Linked Image]

Awful lot of glass.

Gonna be tough to beat off without upsetting the neighbors.

To each his own.

Travis
Here's a shot of one of my reloading areas if anybody was looking for some other ideas.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Yikes...that would drive me to drink all that beer you drank.

Wow.
You've really cleaned it up in there since I left.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Yikes...that would drive me to drink all that beer you drank.

WTF?

Travis

[Linked Image]

Travis

Everything seems to be in order here.

Posted By: GeoW Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
Looks like a lady cave... Too neat for a real man.
Posted By: SKane Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14

[Linked Image]

SWEET!
Gibson,

Another nice touch is get a handpainted portrait of your mother (mine also happens to be a saint) to watch over the garage and keep you safe.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Posted By: Toddly Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
Almost finished!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Man cave shman cave....

Lemme see your war face!

Ahhhhrrrrr!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back at ya, Fritz!

[Linked Image]
Raaawwwrrrr!

lol!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
I lost my man-cave this Spring when we cleared out the shop and rolled out a set of mats to give the boys a wrestling room to practice in.

Hopefully later this Summer, or early Fall, I will get it back and be able to set up some reloading gear, finally.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I lost my man-cave this Spring when we cleared out the shop and rolled out a set of mats to give the boys a wrestling room to practice in.

Hopefully later this Summer, or early Fall, I will get it back and be able to set up some reloading gear, finally.

I always put my kids before everybody else too.

Except me. If comes down to me or the kids they can GFT.

Travis
Originally Posted by Toddly
Almost finished!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know what this is supposed to be but I would have a difficult time relaxing in it.

Travis

[Linked Image]

Travis

Yep, everything seems just fine to me.

[Linked Image]

blush
That's how we doos it.

Travis
Originally Posted by bruinruin

[Linked Image]

Travis

[Linked Image]

blush

Holy chit!! I just found my knife sharpening kit. I've been wondering where that was and I just spotted it on the top shelf in my picture. crazy laugh
Spyderco?

Travis
I read about zero alcohol in the man/reloading room.
I now shoot factory.
I can't remember what brand it is. I remember that they're diamond impregnated stones and that the case is blue. That's it on the top shelf, just left of center.

This day just got a bit better after a week full of chitty ones. I think I'll celebrate and bring home some more beer. smile
Work in progress

[Linked Image]

Ran by at lunch today and they're putting the forms in for the footings.

Between the 3 car garage and 1200 sq ft basement, should have some room for my hobby stuff.
I read about zero alcohol in the man/reloading room.
I now shoot factory.

There's no alcohol in mine, I can guarantee that. Just lots of empties.

Word, Bro.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Travis

[Linked Image]

blush

Holy chit!! I just found my knife sharpening kit. I've been wondering where that was and I just spotted it on the top shelf in my picture. crazy laugh

TFF!

Word, Bro.

[Linked Image]
Too much girley booze. Beer and Tequila is all I need. Chicks are not allowed in my Man Cave unless they're bringing me more beer or tequila.
My 30' x 40' Barn before the paint went on and the animals went in...

[Linked Image]

And after...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/562252_142365972602571_480121443_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/x1_crop_zpsccb53264.jpg[/img]
Listen people. I'm not one to interfere with a man's thread, but I have been invited to these self-proclaimed "man caves." And I'm here to tell you, they're gayer than AIDS.

I was in Poland once and a neighbor of the home I was visiting invited us all over to see his "man cave." I leaped at the opportunity because I misinterpreted what a "man cave" was. I was relatively certain he was going to show us a vagina, but he didn't.

He showed us the remnants of the Artist Formerly Known as His Garage. Holy fuggin'-fugg! He put in a bar, and a couch, and stools, and chairs, and all kinds of ornaments and stupid schit. It appeared as though Oprah had morphed with Jean Claude Van Damme and menstruated all over the floor. It was awful. Just fuggin' awful. Holy fugg. It was bad.

If you are going to have a place that you would like to deem "your own" (which I would persuade you not to do because in my house it is ALL mine, and if I choose to schit in the middle of the living room floor I goddamm will because I make the payments) please make it a normal dwelling. A place where one can change oil, gunsmith, reload, skin a coyote, urinate, butcher a deer, etc. without having to change buildings.

These should be your goals.

And there is no need to exclude women. My wife knows if she wants to find me I'm either in the schitter, or in my garage. And while she isn't welcome in the schitter, she is welcome in the garage. Unless I'm thinking. But I have never met anybody that enjoys my company when I'm thinking so that would never happen.

Best of luck.

Travis

Some might think this is a bad scene, but the trapping in the man cave makes it more fun...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 07/31/14
We have a place where we keep the hunting gear on metal shelves, hers and mine, and a walk in gun vault and some loading stuff, but its not nearly a cave.

I enjoy our house the most. Just go in the other room to load ammo, get a gun, or pack for another hunt etc...

Probalby doesn't hurt that its somewhat hidden entrances to it, and would take a bit of thinking to figure out the small place is there at all for a lot of folks... the thieving kinds....
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Some might think this is a bad scene, but the trapping in the man cave makes it more fun...

[Linked Image]

I hope it can't make it to the GTO with one of those attached...

Travis
If you are going to have a place that you would like to deem "your own" (which I would persuade you not to do because in my house it is ALL mine, and if I choose to schit in the middle of the living room floor I goddamm will because I make the payments...

Dude, you ran out of diapers again, didn't you?
I cringe at the words 'man cave'. Sweet Jesus, no wonder it's so easy for the government.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Too much girley booze. Beer and Tequila is all I need. Chicks are not allowed in my Man Cave unless they're bringing me more beer or tequila.

No problem.
I like the taint....
the more wimmins' the better.
They can stay as long as they like.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

I hope it can't make it to the GTO with one of those attached...

Travis

3 traps is the theory behind pieces/parts of the intended victim from whipping chain around and hitting the GTO...
Ah yes. The ol' paw grab followed by the spine and tail grab trick.

That'll teach that fugger.

Travis
I'm changing oil on my Suzuki in my shop right now, and yes I have a computer in mine but that is strictly for looking up schematics of motors and such and Christy Canyon booby pics.

oh and posting horseshit on here.

my wife is welcome in my shop too, especially after I've been looking at internet boobies for awhile

Holy crap - I'm dying here......
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
Never needed a so called man cave,

[Linked Image]

I have an excavation business, spent over 30 years in this cave keeping stuff running. laugh
Posted By: deflave Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
I'm changing oil on my Suzuki in my shop right now, and yes I have a computer in mine but that is strictly for looking up schematics of motors and such and Christy Canyon booby pics.

my wife is welcome in my shop too, especially after I've been looking at internet boobies for awhile

What year is your Samurai?

Travis
Listen people. I'm not one to interfere with a man's thread, but I have been invited to these self-proclaimed "man caves." And I'm here to tell you, they're gayer than AIDS.

I was in Poland once and a neighbor of the home I was visiting invited us all over to see his "man cave." I leaped at the opportunity because I misinterpreted what a "man cave" was. I was relatively certain he was going to show us a vagina, but he didn't.

He showed us the remnants of the Artist Formerly Known as His Garage. Holy fuggin'-fugg! He put in a bar, and a couch, and stools, and chairs, and all kinds of ornaments and stupid schit. It appeared as though Oprah had morphed with Jean Claude Van Damme and menstruated all over the floor. It was awful. Just fuggin' awful. Holy fugg. It was bad.

If you are going to have a place that you would like to deem "your own" (which I would persuade you not to do because in my house it is ALL mine, and if I choose to schit in the middle of the living room floor I goddamm will because I make the payments) please make it a normal dwelling. A place where one can change oil, gunsmith, reload, skin a coyote, urinate, butcher a deer, etc. without having to change buildings.

These should be your goals.

And there is no need to exclude women. My wife knows if she wants to find me I'm either in the schitter, or in my garage. And while she isn't welcome in the schitter, she is welcome in the garage. Unless I'm thinking. But I have never met anybody that enjoys my company when I'm thinking so that would never happen.

Best of luck.

Travis

Damn purist.

grin
Posted By: KFWA Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14

What year is your Samurai?

Travis

heh..I wish - its my daughters ATV
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I cringe at the words 'man cave'. Sweet Jesus, no wonder it's so easy for the government.

Yeah, I refer to my place as the cabin or my "lodge". A place where I can go set by the potbelly stove in Cold weather.

When I hear man cave, I think of those hippies in one of those bizarre drum circles! laugh
At this point I may as well tell this story.
Forty years ago, we went to see my brother-in-law's brother about a painting job.
He was about twenty years old, and lived in an upstairs apartment.
The kind with rickety wood stairs in the alley.

He had a worn out stuffed chair, with a brick under a broke leg, an old black, and white TV, a path from the chair, to the TV through the girlie magazines strewed about the floor.

An old fridge held a stick of butter, and a couple cans of cheap beer.

A real boars nest.
When I hear man cave, I think of those hippies in one of those bizarre drum circles! laugh

Drum circle? I thought I saw you there last week!
My whole damn house is my cave.

I do what I want where I want.

My 'dining room table' has drill marks and scorches from rebuilding tube amps, guitars and guns (and assorted other bric-a-brac).

I dig it...
Richard, that is classic.

Flave's man cave version 2.0 tutorial was also great.

As far as actual cave-like buildings go..

A local machinist/welder has a long steel building(maybe 50x150'). No window other than a big sliding door at one end and a man door that goes into a small office(which has door to the outside).

Basically no outside light if the big shop door isn't open.

Building is full of big(old lathes), racks of pipe and flat iron, projects, an old snow mobile(Artic Cat Cheetah?), a little forklift, welders, cuttin' torches and a fire proof area, big ass vice, long work counter with everything, more smaller vices, wrenches hanging on the wall.

Giant wood/coal 'heater'(custom of course), in the rear center.

Dark green insulation sprayed on the wall. Pretty much everything in the building is a dark color, very cave-like during winter.
I can't even walk in my garage. motorcycles, outboards, drums and fishing gear out the arse. Big metal table and old computer table for molding jig heads and sinkers and tying bluegill and crappie jigs. I don't need a fancy bunch of $hit I want a place I can work. It seems to be unorganized but I know where everything is. I don't work on the bikes much,,, they're made in Japan. grin

A big table a place to sit and make lures/reload and a BIG tool box is all you need. My area is not a mancave but you can tell a man dwells there. I do have a bathroom down there, I don't think the seat has been down in the last 10 years or so.
I can't be the only guy who enjoys having a house that's not a cave.... The best part of my day is walking in the door and smelling "my house". And thanks to my wife that smell is pleasant. Usually a candle or fresh cookies, fresh laundry, my wife's perfume or supper.

If I lived alone my house would smell like gasoline and Kroil. It'd be cool for about a week and I'd have to hire a housekeeper.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

A local machinist/welder has a long steel building(maybe 50x150'). No window other than a big sliding door at one end and a man door that goes into a small office(which has door to the outside).

Building is full of big(old lathes), racks of pipe and flat iron, projects, an old snow mobile(Artic Cat Cheetah?), a little forklift, welders, cuttin' torches and a fire proof area, big ass vice, long work counter with everything, more smaller vices, wrenches hanging on the wall.

Dark green insulation sprayed on the wall. Pretty much everything in the building is a dark color, very cave-like during winter.

Yeah? Well my garage has an oil change pit.

Pulls double duty on insubordinate hookers.

BOOM!

Travis
Back when, it was a den. The man's room.
My grandfathers both had theirs.
My father's father had a fireplace with moose antlers over it.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yeah? Well my garage has an oil change pit.

Pulls double duty on insubordinate hookers.

BOOM!

Travis

The holding cell is pretty [bleep] cool.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Drum circle? I thought I saw you there last week!

You bastid! What happens at the drum circle, STAYS at the drum circle!!!

laugh
Who ate the cracker?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
At this point I may as well tell this story.
Forty years ago, we went to see my brother-in-law's brother about a painting job.
He was about twenty years old, and lived in an upstairs apartment.
The kind with rickety wood stairs in the alley.

He had a worn out stuffed chair, with a brick under a broke leg, an old black, and white TV, a path from the chair, to the TV through the girlie magazines strewed about the floor.

An old fridge held a stick of butter, and a couple cans of cheap beer.

A real boars nest.

Yeah. I had an uncle. Fours years older than me. He lived in a similar arrangement. It was an old Quonset but behind grandmas house. When oldest son was prolly in jr. High he was out there with him watching TV and looking at the latest copy of "Monster Boobs" magazine and noticed an abundance of brightly colored cockroaches. My old uncle tells him. "Hey you see any yellow ones, hit em with this blue spray paint! I think there building a resistance to yellow!"
Originally Posted by Salmonella

You win!
I like to hang out here. grin

[Linked Image]

If I were to photograph myself fugging a dog, I would leave the city limits as well.

Travis

If I lived alone my house would smell like gasoline and Kroil. It'd be cool for about a week and I'd have to hire a housekeeper.

Nah, you get comfortable with the smell of gasoline, Kroil, etc. My ex moved out 18 months ago and I haven't hired a housekeeper yet, and don't feel I need to.

Now, when my daughters came to visit for my birthday, they cleaned up the place like a white tornado, but that's their lookout, not mine. I like the smell of Kroil.
Here's one part of my well-organized pole barn...

[Linked Image]

... and here's another...

[Linked Image]

... and yet another...

[Linked Image]

... yet another...

[Linked Image]

BrotherBart says I have too much stuff.

I disagree. I have almost enough stuff. But I seriously lack a curator to keep it all organized for me.
Posted By: EdM Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
Here's mine. I have owned it for 5 years and have lived in it a grand total of 5 months. Come retirement next year it will be dressed as needed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yep, just another metrosexual term...

[Linked Image]

blush

I LOVE the Dr seuss shelves, very swoopy. grin
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
Not a man cave per se but a damn fine place up the holler from the house to relax, watch nature or enjoy a book.

It was built by an elderly attorney from Germany who would fly over here just to relax in that shack and drink wine. You can see the wine bottles built into the wall if you look closely.

Even made a little 'shine in there a time or two.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14
Doc;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the week has been treating you well.

I'd say that based upon a couple decades of being a semiprofessional "organizer" in production shops that you need more shelving, pegboard and hooks and then a wee bit of an inventory control system is all. Nothing that couldn't be done in a weekend or so.... wink

In the spirit of the thread, there are some wonderful trophy rooms and garages shown here so far and thanks to the members who have shared.

I'm with Bluedreaux actually in that I don't mind having the reloading stuff contained into one place, the garage stuff in the garage and then the rest of the house being plain old living space. That said Doc as you know I've been married for more of my life than single and having kids in the house too changes the dynamic for me.

Our garage looks like this quite often when it's fall and we kick out my wife's Forester so we can process some game. This is a grand friend who's been part of our cutting crew since it began in the late '80's.
[Linked Image]

Large and ancient upright freezer converted to a fridge which keeps the meat cool in our very hot Okanagan early fall weather.
[Linked Image]

One of two bench mounted vices - just haven't gotten around to mounting the third one yet. blush This one is made in what was then West Germany and has an honest 6" opening.
[Linked Image]

Different wall in background.
[Linked Image]

Anyway Doc, as you can see - shelves are the answer to your organizational dilemma. grin

Have a good day Doc and all the best to you and yours this upcoming weekend as well.

Dwayne

[Linked Image]

blush

I LOVE the Dr seuss shelves, very swoopy. grin

Yeah, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have put all my bulk packaged cast bullets on the same shelf. Been that way for 2-3 years and she's still holding, though. smile
[Linked Image]doghouse by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

The holding cell is pretty [bleep] cool.

It puts the lotion on its skin.

Travis
I can't be the only guy who enjoys having a house that's not a cave.... The best part of my day is walking in the door and smelling "my house". And thanks to my wife that smell is pleasant. Usually a candle or fresh cookies, fresh laundry, my wife's perfume or supper.

This. I've got a room full of weights, guns, and reloading equipment. I've got a shop for tools, truck, tractor, atv, etc. I don't go there to hang out, I go there to get stuff done. I want to hang out with my family.
This aint no man cave, but it is where I will be located full time during weekday business hours.

[Linked Image]

and there will be manly things inside.

this is for anyone that calls his sanctum sanctorum a 'man cave' eek
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KC Re: Let's see your man caves!! - 08/01/14

I built this addition in 2008.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Agreed.

"Man cave" is what women call a room that they have decorated with "manly d�cor".

It's fun for them so I give them a pass on the use of the term.

grinNahhh,my wife calls my area a "[bleep]' disaster area",and she's absorutrey right!! grin
Your wife is obviously a realist and a highly intelligent woman.
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Anyway Doc, as you can see - shelves are the answer to your organizational dilemma. grin

Have a good day Doc and all the best to you and yours this upcoming weekend as well.

Dwayne

Dwayne... yes, I have about come to that same conclusion! I have been in the process of moving most of my reloading equipment & components into a 12'x12' room in the house, and the existing shelving is clearly TOTALLY inadequate. I'm gonna have to rip it all down and start fresh. Building new shelves ain't the big problem... planning the shelving scheme and getting it right the first time is gonna be the hard part!
© 24hourcampfire