Home
What all can blue avgas (100ll?) be used in?
Boats, generators, lawnmowers,, etc?

I can get quite a bit free, but not sure what I can do with it.

Any ideas?

I know its heavily leaded, but I put "regular" gas in my unleaded jeep cj-7., back in Germany. No issues.
I run all 2 cycle motors with AV gas. Chainsaws, Lawnboy mowers, Shindaiwa trimmer and Mercury OB.
burning chit in cut in half 55 gal drums..............
Pretty much anything without a catalytic converter.

Lawn mowers, chainsaws, old muscle cars, 2 cycle dirt bikes. If you've got any dirt track racing or a drag strip around they'll want it.
I have o2 sensors in my exhaust, but no cats.
Don't think so because the lead will mess the sensors up?

Looks I gotta get more barrels to store it. Couple hunter gallons will be nice for prepping. My Honda generators can run for a long time if ever needed.
I use 100LL for all my 2-strokes and lawnmowers- it's way easier on the rubber than mogas. If I could get a bunch free, I would buy an older truck just so I could run it! If you run it up pretty good once in a while, you will keep the lead down. The spark plugs on electronic ignition motors have a pretty big gap which keeps them pretty free from lead problems.

I also use it for a solvent- it is not as flammable as gas and it is not as stinky!
If you lived closer, I would buy a bunch from you to run in my hot rodded Harley. Especially on Race days. High octane allows for some wickedly advanced timing in a 4 stroke motor.
Heck, for enough of it I would make a trip down there, and you could make a little money on the deal.
lemme see how much is available.
Anything that doesn't have a catalytic converter. It's just 100 octane leaded gas. The old 115/145 octane gas was too much for standard compression engines.
Man I wish I lived near you. The stuff is magic on all non-cat motors. I too run it in all my 2 stroke stuff and my lawn mower.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Anything that doesn't have a catalytic converter. It's just 100 octane leaded gas. The old 115/145 octane gas was too much for standard compression engines.

Too much in what way?
I don't know the reason but I served with some older recip engine guys in the AF and they said you had to rotate tanks of gas in your car if you used 115/145. IIRC it was hard on valves but that was a long time ago when they told me. If I understand the octane thing right, the higher the octane, the slower the burn rate.
Low-Lead is a relative term that references only older avgas formulas. Enough lead is in 100LL to foul plugs and sensors, but a lot of small engines (Generators, Compressors, WeedWhackers, etc.) at small airports are fed mostly on discarded fuel samples of it.
It should say lower lead. I think it is still around 2 g/liter which is a fair amount. It can leave lead deposits on stuff. I think the 115 octane stuff has about 4-5 g/l in it and is really hard on stuff.

I suspect it could play heck with O2 sensors and such in modern vehicles. Even though we only have idiot lights on most newer vehicles, the computer is fed by a host of sensors that really monitor a lot of things.
Isn't the blue 80 octane ?
Green is 100 LL.
Or was the old red 80 ?
Mike
Originally Posted by mikeone
Isn't the blue 80 octane ?
Green is 100 LL.
Or was the old red 80 ?
Mike

80/87 was / is Red

100LL is Blue
So basically, it boils down to running it in most anything except vehicles.

Looks like Im going to have a couple hundred gallons on hand for my gennies in case of emergencies!
If the avgas is available for non-av use due to being leftover samples or because it failed a water test, I'd dose it with Heet and Stabil or similar additives. Since it may have water and may not be any too fresh.
I know the guys that ran old 60s muscle cars back in Minnesota on night there were car shows and get-togethers always bought AV Gas over at the Crystal Airport...

Conversion to Propane was the other popular route to go...
Originally Posted by splattermatic
What all can blue avgas (100ll?) be used in?
Boats, generators, lawnmowers,, etc?

I can get quite a bit free, but not sure what I can do with it.

Any ideas?

I know its heavily leaded, but I put "regular" gas in my unleaded jeep cj-7., back in Germany. No issues.

The best molotov cocktail comes from av gas.
You can't put a price on excellence.

P.S. a old friend burns it in his Johnny Popper.
Saves his rubber seals and runs great.
Ethanol fuel is a mechanics best friend on non cat converter schit.
Here's a bit of HISTORY for ya!

We gave Great Britain 100 octane to run in their aircraft! The Krauts didn't have it!!
'Way back in the early 1970s when I got my private pilot's license, 80/87 octane aviation gasoline was "red" and was used in light general aviation aircraft like the Cessna 150 I owned at that time as well as Cessna 172s, 182s, 210s and most Piper and other light General Aviation aircraft.

During the late 1970s and early 1980s, the av-gas fuel companies began phasing out 80/87 octane Red and High-Lead Green... replacing both av-gas fuels with 100 octane Low Lead Blue.

In 1978, I sold my Cessna 150 and bought a Rockwell Commander 112 which had a 200 HP IO-360 Lycoming, fuel-injected engine which required 100 LL fuel. By then, 80/87 Red was getting hard to find at a good many airports.

We had several drag-racers coming out to our smallish country airport with gas-cans to buy 100 LL Blue for fuel for their highly-modified drag-race engines. However, such transactions were considered "illegal" by the Federal & State governments due to the fact no highway-use tax was charged on av-gas as compared to mo-gas (automobile fuel).

Of course, like so many during Prohibition, neither the buyers nor the seller (the airport management) ask, mentioned or took notice in WHAT type of "aircraft" that av-gas was gonna be used. wink wink wink grin

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

You can just tell them it is for off-road racing! I've never had to buy any- always kept a 5 in the hangar to hold excess fuel removed when changing check valve or drain valves.
© 24hourcampfire