Home
...Old and well worn American colloquialism .

I reckon it evolved in the Railroad yards, when the "Bulls" cleaned out boxcars and the rails,....
Has good application to bouncers keeping the saloons free of panghandlers.

at what point did this morph into BUM RUSHING ?

WTF IS "Bum Rushing?" confused

Stupidest damn thing I've heard in a while, and coming down on MSM like cats and dogs.

GTC
Posted By: Gus Re: Giving one the "Bum's Rush" - 08/23/14
vel, if a "bum" rushes you, that meaning should be pretty much self-evident?

if not, then I do not know.

back in the day, in the West Texas beer joints, to get bum rushed, would get your ass pushed out the door. but that was then.

Assisting a bum to leave an establishment, such as a restaurant or bar, with one hand on the collar, the other hand on the back of the pants, and a hearty push-off at the door.
Just a catch phrase adopted by the media.

Like "Assault Rifle", "Saturday Night Special", or "Gun Violence".

All meant to ring the bell of good liberals.
And here I thought it was slang for violent diarrhea.

Wrong kind of bum I guess?

grin

Just another example of bastardized language.

"Tender hooks" always cracks me up.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

When Romo gets positive yardage...
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...Old and well worn American colloquialism .

I reckon it evolved in the Railroad yards, when the "Bulls" cleaned out boxcars and the rails,....
Has good application to bouncers keeping the saloons free of panghandlers.

at what point did this morph into BUM RUSHING ?

Stupidest damn thing I've heard in a while, and coming down on MSM like cats and dogs.

GTC

The same thing happened when Seattle's skid road where logs were skidded down a corduroy road to the mill became skid row.
As Green's Dictionary of Slang explains, "the bum's rush" is what would happen if a vagrant entered a saloon, hoping to take advantage of "the sometimes sumptuous free lunch counters, which were meant for drinkers only." The freeloader would be forcibly removed from the premises.

"Bum's rush" came to refer to any kind of sudden ejection or dismissal, and it would occasionally get shortened to "bum rush." The noun eventually morphed into a hyphenated verb, as in this 1962 Variety headline: "Palm Springs Cops Bum-Rush Easter Vacash Rowdies."
No morphing. "Bull rush" and "Bum('s) rush" are two different things.

RS
theres a series on history channel that tells of origins of slang and saying in America, plenty interesting stuff.
Commenting on the detour, May I say that the term is not "tender hooks" but tenterhooks. It means to be in suspense, and it derives from hanging cloth on a hook. LINK
Never heard the "bum rush" before this, 59 years and never heard it.
It's a wonderment, isn't it, Wayne? I'm going on 68 and still learn new things all the time. New words and phrases are among my favorites.
© 24hourcampfire