Home
Posted By: muleshoe ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Does this stuff work? Or just a gadget?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
works.

bowhunters around here swear by them.
Posted By: 1minute Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Deet really works and doesn't need a battery.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by 1minute

True, but many people are allergic to DEET. ThermaCell works.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
It really really really works.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Yep works I use mine for camping, bugs are not really an issue during hunting season.
Posted By: efw Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

+1
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by 1minute

Thermacell doesn't use a battery, it's a small bottle of butane and a pad of bug deterrent.

[Linked Image]

I have a couple of them on the boat to try and dissuade the skeeters and no see ums on the water. Seems to work pretty well for the skeeters, not so much for the no see ums.

I think it's basically a high tech citronella candle and just about as affective.
Posted By: 257James Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by muleshoe

I hunt Florida swamps, and could seriously hunt in surf shorts and not get bitten.....they work and that's a fact.
Posted By: smithwr Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Yessir, Worth their weight in gold for mosquito and black fly repellant.
Posted By: akpls Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
I have several.....they just work.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Yep. Some of our blinds are plagued by gnats but turn the Thermacell on and pretty soon, no more gnats. One stand is 100 yards from a slough and even in warm weather no skeeters!
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
Yep! They work!
Posted By: milespatton Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/27/14
bugs are not really an issue during hunting season.

Never hunted in Arkansas, have you? miles
Posted By: Esox357 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Used it in Georgia and Ontario. Both times did a pretty good job at keeping the biting bugs away. Plus side is that it doesn't have the smell that keeps wary game away.
Posted By: Lonny Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
We took a canoe trip in June to Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone and everything I read was to be prepared for hoards of mosquitos. The Thermacell made it possible to eat dinner without being bombarded by the bloodsuckers. Everybody on the trip was sold on it.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Absolutely works.
Just may be the best hunting/camping investment you can make.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
definetly works learned on a florida hog hunt and glad i bought one now i have one in both trucks and car just never know where one might end up
Posted By: Pugs Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

There are damn few things in life that I can say work exactly as advertised but a Thermocell is one of them. I have hunted pigs in SC in April with one running and had deer walk up underneath the stand without a bug in sight (after turning it on)
Posted By: 4ager Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Worth every damned penny and then some. By a spare, and a back-up.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by Pugs

There are damn few things in life that I can say work exactly as advertised but a Thermocell is one of them. I have hunted pigs in SC in April with one running and had deer walk up underneath the stand without a bug in sight (after turning it on)

besides, if Lee and Tiffany use em they hafta work cool
Posted By: jmillo Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Yes it does! Deer don't seem to even notice it.
Posted By: Old Coach Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
My Thermacell works well in WNC, middle Ga. and the Low Country of SC.
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

I swear by those things. We couldn't sit out on our deck, after sunset, if not for Therma Cell. Skeeters are a bitch here. Within 10 minutes after lighting it, they're gone. We've used them for about 6 years. Like someone else said, few things work as advertised. Therma Cell does, for sure.
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I use it on spring bear hunts in Canada. Can't be out there without one.
Posted By: bbassi Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I've said in the past the inventors deserve a Nobel prize. They work THAT well.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by milespatton
bugs are not really an issue during hunting season.

Never hunted in Arkansas, have you? miles

No sir I have not.
Posted By: slumlord Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
One more for Yes it works, yes there are tons of mosquitoes even through November. I even use the Thermocell lantern on my back deck.

Have been using mine in the tree stand almost 5 yrs.

Advice: better make sure you have plenty of pads and butane. The hunters will snarf up all the multi-refill packs pretty quick as bow season revs up.

Has to lay flat and dont leave it in your pocket, it is an open flame.

Can really tell who the hunters are on this topic. "Spray down with deet" lmao guess deer don't have olfactory lobes in Oregon.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I had pretty much given up bowhunting because the mosquitoes made it so miserable. Insect repellent smells so much that I felt it would be pointless to bowhunt while wearing it. Thermacell has made it possible for me to bowhunt again, I never leave home without one during bow season.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Thanks guys, appreciate all the input.

Got one headed to Northern Manitoba with me next week.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
The way its cooling off here this year I might not need one, but I'll have one anyway. Too many times to count they've let me hunt in comfort when otherwise I woulda gone crazy and left due to bugs.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Best $ I've ever spent. Wouldn't think about getting on the bow stand before November without one
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I too was skeptical but its first use was in a swamp bear hunting in august and not one mosquito or no-see-um bugged me. I now have one in every hunting pack and vehicle and a pair of the lanterns on the deck. Buy the 120hr refill packs off Amazon.com.

Mine has sold lots of them to buddies and the wife has bought lanterns as gifts for many friends.

They truly work.
Posted By: crinsomrn Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Works ! Mine goes to the woods during Bow Season & Turkey Hunting in the Spring . It's in the Duck Blind in Arkansas during the warm days and the porch at nights . Got a lantern for the deck and camping .
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

How much does it cost to run one of those for 8 hours?
Posted By: kid0917 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
with all these endorsements, I will have to try one. Much of the TV hunter gear is laughable, but not all. (remember the "cough-silencer")
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
They've gotta be seen to be believed.

Day 1 in the swamp, dripping with 100% DEET, I was still getting dive-bombed, if not bitten. It was playing with my head badly to have so many critters in my ears. Day 2, with the Thermacell, found me in the middle of a 10' bug-free dome. I could see the fcukers in a grey-black cloud all around me, but they wouldn't come in. Amazing.

FC
Posted By: 257James Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by slumlord
Advice: better make sure you have plenty of pads and butane.

http://youtu.be/8dvQeAjv3eg

Watch this YouTube clip and you can re-fill your empty butane canisters; this works, I do it.

I soak my used pads in Permethrin I buy at Tractor supply; works as well. I buy no more refill packs.
Posted By: 257James Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Link for pad recharging.

http://youtu.be/ycEQCsj7XZk
Posted By: bbassi Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I've also heard of guys using them as scent bombs in the fall with doe pee on a played out pad. has anyone tried that? It sounds like a smart idea, especially in freezing temps.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by bbassi
I've also heard of guys using them as scent bombs in the fall with doe pee on a played out pad. has anyone tried that? It sounds like a smart idea, especially in freezing temps.

Haven't tried it, but makes sense, the heat would help disperse the scent...not sure I'd want a cloud of burnt doe pee in the tree with me.

I like mine, seems to help a bunch in the wet areas in the early Fall. The pad area does get pretty warm, just watch how you hang it on your pack or tree.
Posted By: slumlord Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by bbassi
that's classified info Mister. Wasn't going to share and just let em wander outside the promised land for another 40 years

But yeah, I do that with old pads on a second Cell a couple hundreds yards away.
Also, I have laid a previous year's tarsal hock on there and let it simmer. (More classified info)
grin

(Not to bbassi)
Hey, just soak yourselves down with deet, stop at the waffle house in your $500 schnee boots and slop some diesel fuel on yourself too. Go ahead and strap your deer stand over your exhaust pipe on your atv with your "Treestand Buddy"

Good luck

Oh wait, is it really luck when you pay a guide to lead you to the corn pile?

Sarcasm button- no vulvas were intended to be bruised
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
this may be this first thread I've seen on 24cf with everyone agreeing on something. No panties bunched up, no GFY's. crazy.
Posted By: Boococky Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
this may be this first thread I've seen on 24cf with everyone agreeing on something. No panties bunched up, no GFY's. crazy.

GFY laugh
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
I hunt in South Florida. We have insect critters during hunting season. All year in fact. We use them and they work. If you want to slop deet all over then be my guest. But this is much more pleasant for sitting on stand. I purchased mine approx five years ago. I havent bought any deet or insect lotion since. I keep a bottle of insect juice in my gear bag but its six years old at least. A butane cylinder lasts a long time. The portable unit requires no batteries. I bought a box of the butane and a large box of the wafers. Its the one dang gadget that really works.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

You guys that have them, do you find that running one unit is enough?
Posted By: tbear99 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
so far one unit i think covers 10 foot area i also use when outside bbq i set 2 up about 15 feet apart to cover sitting area.But only do this if bugs are bad i haven't had to use one thiks year yet but always kept handy
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
tjm--one is all I ever need to use for stand hunting in early fall.

Paul
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Just make sure you "click" it on before you get to your stand....That click cost me a wallhanger one day acoupla years ago!!!! It was very loud!!!!!
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
They also sell a clip on insert that uses a special much thicker unscented pad specifically for applying attractant or cover scent.

Seems it was +/- $6 at the LGS.

Google ThermaScent.
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You guys that have them, do you find that running one unit is enough?

Yup...I use mine all the time. Squirrel season here is the ultimate test. You won't regret getting one. Get the belt clip holster for it...and enjoy the outdoors.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

If you want to see some disagreement, check out the reviews on amazon.com.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/28/14

Sorry guys, certainly weren't my intentions. grin
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/29/14
does the Thermacell unit produce a noticeable odor when on? (like a chemical/bug-spray smell?)

thinkin i'm gonna have to have one of these, we hunt a lot of squirrels in a creek bottom/swamp that is a skeeter paradise...
Posted By: ingwe Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/29/14
No discernible odor�.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: ThermaCELL ? - 08/29/14
If you out your nose close to it you can faintly smell it but not "chenically". Also in dead silence there is a very slight "hiss". As to odor or noise I've had turkeys, elk and Blacktails all < 10yds away with nary a glance
© 24hourcampfire