Home
For those of you who have not taken the day off, are you going to get an early start on the weekend? Most of my pals are already headed for elk country, but here I am, working!

I flew home yesterday and will be working from home today; it's still better than being away from the family over the weekend!

Hope you all get an early start to the weekend and your weekend plans, whatever that may be. I'll raise one in your honor later this evening.
I worked 11 hours yesterday, so yes, I might knock off an hour or so early today. Got a lot to get done before that happens though.

Doesn't really matter anyway - weather screwed our plans to go camping, so it'll just be a 3 day weekend working around the house.
IN an hour I'll have already put in my 12 for the day. Then I get to go to town (50+ miles) for a doctor's appt and hope to get back by noon for a few hours sleep before another 12 hr night. No weekend for me, but when I'm done with this week I get a week off for archery deer season.

Hope you all enjoy your holiday weekend.

Geno
Workin' all weekend, on call.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I worked 11 hours yesterday, so yes, I might knock off an hour or so early today. Got a lot to get done before that happens though.

Doesn't really matter anyway - weather screwed our plans to go camping, so it'll just be a 3 day weekend working around the house.

BR,

Sorry to gear about the weather. Weather here in ID is beautiful. Warm down here, but the mountains are cooling nicely with lows cool enough to see your breath; yes, fall is in the air, you just have to be at the right elevation!

I was lucky to squeeze in a trip of a lifetime to Africa a few weeks ago and will hunt Bison in Utah in December. So, just happy to be able to be with family over the weekend.
Valsdad and 'Slave. Sorry to hear the news. Hope there's more fun in the future!
Originally Posted by Akbob5

BR,

Sorry to gear about the weather. Weather here in ID is beautiful. Warm down here, but the mountains are cooling nicely with lows cool enough to see your breath; yes, fall is in the air, you just have to be at the right elevation!

I was lucky to squeeze in a trip of a lifetime to Africa a few weeks ago and will hunt Bison in Utah in December. So, just happy to be able to be with family over the weekend.

Thanks. Didn't mean to sound like a downer. It's actually not a bad thing. 3 days puttering around the place and working on things like my shooting range and my reloading room, weather permitting. If the weather keeps me indoors it'll give me a guilt free reason to do nothing but hang out with my kiddos watching movies and playing with Legos. wink

Hope you and every one else has a pleasant and safe holiday weekend. smile

BTW, that Africa hunt and the bison hunt sound great. Someday I've got to expand my hunting horizons and go after something besides the local white tails and the occasional black bear.

On the fall weather - yep, it's starting to get a bit colorful around here. Yesterday morning I was greeted with temps in the upper 30's when I stepped out the door to head to work. I hate what follows fall, but love this time of year.
Sort of. Plans were to do morning chores, cut hay and do evening chores. Raining now, rain tomorrow and the next day and the next day.

Tractor and discbine will stay in the shed for awhile.
One has to appreciate the irony of guys knocking off a few hours early for Labor Day weekend
I might be there all day, but I won't be working.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One has to appreciate the irony of guys knocking off a few hours early for Labor Day weekend

Is this a great country, or what? grin

Says the guy who retired in his late 40's. wink grin
exactly what is this 'work' thing y'all are discussing? laugh
Y'all retirees sucketh.

But I am off today.
Envious of the retirees, but we'll all get there soon enough?

BR got to the a Steelhead punch before me. Irony or not, it is what it is. Ya'll enjoy!
Just talked to my union rep.

Unless it's raining on Monday we be working.
Its raining in Oshkosh�.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Is this a great country, or what? grin

Obama like, for sure!

Semi-retired. Finished cleaning up the puke from a 5 year old on the bus not an hour ago.

I'll be running all of them back home this evening.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

File a grievance!
I'd strike
Going to knock off early today and run over to Ferguson to peacefully protest.

Semi-retired. Finished cleaning up the puke from a 5 year old on the bus not an hour ago.

Kids just can't handle their booze anymore..
Full day today, bbq'ing for the bench rest match this weekend, dove hunting Monday. Won't be much rest, bit I should eat good, drink for free, and won't have too much stress.

Do they issue you a power washer for that kind of clean up?

I'm a plumber and having to clean up kiddie yack is way down on the list of things I'm OK with.

BTW, I know it's early in the school year, but we haven't heard any good stories of the kids on your route yet.

I'm retired. One day is about the same as the next. grin

KC

It wasn't bad. I asked his brother when it happened if there were any hot dog chunks or SpaghettiOs floating around on the floor. It's the first time it's happened, if real bad I'd just take a hose to it.

Not much bothers me, except when it concerns so called adults.

Nothing really, they switched my route around and the majority of kids are older, so it's pretty quiet. They did sing Happy Birthday to me last week.
Just finished 12.5 hours and 3 more days to go before having 3 off.
Treating myself to a massage today, my first and I'm 48. Work 1/2 day today, work Monday. Bear hunt this weekend though.
Work???????????????????????????

What is this "work" of which you speak???????????????????
Full day here. Started at 630 this morning after staying the night caring for MIL.
Washed 2 fire trucks.
Came to work. Will be here until 5pm.
Then wash 3 more fire trucks for parade on saturday.
Then straight to the fair to sit with a fire truck for kids taking pictures until later.

Then up at 530 to get the fire auxiliary trailer loaded with hay for the parade.

Paraded at 10am, back to fair every night through Sunday.

Plus on call fire/ems ....

But still trying to shoot and pack for Alaska somehow plus plant oats patch. ANd load ammo for Alaska.

Should be a long hot weekend.
Working all weekend as well.....I do have Monday off, but it's a regularly scheduled day off for me....

Besides, I'm salaried.....I get paid the same regardless of the extra hours I put in.
No subs here today, so I don't have to babysit anyone..

I can actually be productive now.
Originally Posted by rost495
Full day here. Started at 630 this morning after staying the night caring for MIL.
Washed 2 fire trucks.
Then straight to the fair to sit with a fire truck for kids taking pictures until later.

Then up at 530 to get the fire auxiliary trailer loaded with hay for the parade.

But still trying to shoot and pack for Alaska somehow plus plant oats patch. ANd load ammo for Alaska.

Rost,

Had a buddy drive tour bus in Denali, he started off washing the busses, said it was the hardest physical labor he had done. Good luck with the fire trucks.

What's on the list in AK?
Originally Posted by SamOlson

So not even bribe of free beer? Man, what on outfit! Wink.
Washed 2 fire trucks.

Rost,

Had a buddy drive tour bus in Denali, he started off washing the busses, said it was the hardest physical labor he had done. Good luck with the fire trucks.

Good visit and help friends at home, and hopefully a week in the woods looking for a 50 inch plus bull. Regardless it'll be 2 weeks in AK, temps under 100, and it'll all work out. Even given the almost 4 travel days involved. Who can complain about driving a long ways in AK since you are in AK. I"m sure it gets boring to you locals though.

Washing is part of the game. The gamble is... wash in least used order, and cross your fingers we dont' just wash and wax and then have to fight a fire... and then wash again for parade...LOL. We have left station with truck one having soap all over it before..... I"m sure it looked funny for a few blocks...
i never work full days. i only work 2-3 days a week. i'm a remodeling contractor and i've gottin very choosy about what jobs i take these days. at almost 60 i don't care to anymore then that.
i also work the gunshows on most weekends.i'll be in roanoke ,va this saturday at a show
I'll have something like fifty dogs to take care of this weekend. So yeah, I'll be working just like always. Probably won't see this many again until Thanksgiving.
I'll have a full day today and be on call this weekend. Should still be able to get some fishing in.
Retired here also.

My job is guarding my bird feeders from "varmits" every day.

Got a nastie Bluejay with my Hornet yesterday. The two biggest chunks landed 10 feet apart.

35 gr. Vmax at 2900 FPS tends to make much "flung goo" (grin!)

Worked steady for 42 years to get here. Every day is holliday!

Virgil B.
no holidays in the oilfield.
Work a full day laugh ... you mean 8 hours of work shocked
Washed 2 fire trucks.

Rost,

Good visit and help friends at home, and hopefully a week in the woods looking for a 50 inch plus bull. Regardless it'll be 2 weeks in AK, temps under 100, and it'll all work out. Even given the almost 4 travel days involved. Who can complain about driving a long ways in AK since you are in AK. I"m sure it gets boring to you locals though.

Washing is part of the game. The gamble is... wash in least used order, and cross your fingers we dont' just wash and wax and then have to fight a fire... and then wash again for parade...LOL. We have left station with truck one having soap all over it before..... I"m sure it looked funny for a few blocks...

Rost, no longer an AK resident. Moved to ID in 97. Sorry if my "handle" misled you. It was my EBay name and sounded as good as anything when I joined the Fire.

.GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!
Roger, sorry to hear no days off.

Virgil, sounds like you're on your toes there protecting the friendly airspace in and around your birdfeeders. Couldn't think of a more patriotic thing to do over the weekend. Godspeed and may you have a smooth trigger-squeeze!

Hotload, define it how you want, apply yourself as required. There's a cool one somewhere!
Leave early... Probably not.

We had a mold line down when I left last night. Millwrights are suppose to have cut some steel this morning, I'll try to cram in twelve hours of machining into six when I get there this afternoon.

Twelve more days and I'm headed to Colorado to chase elk & muledeer! grin
Working? Which job? My day job or the ranch?

No "off days" unless I sneak in a few days off while on the road as I did last week.

Tractor quit again (bad fuel, again) so that's first on the agenda when I'm through here in the office today.

Tomorrow? Repair another section of fence downed by a dead tree (which involves cutting said tree up), kill a beaver or two, trim a couple of horses feet, mow the yard, move round bales out of hay meadow to hay yard, replace bush hog blades, replace worn fuel system on string trimmer, burn two large brush piles, kill more beavers, finish making a couple of reloading blocks for .45-70, and find time to reload some .45-70 & .45LC.
Might even get to work on my shooting bench if I can find that 25th hour in one of the days.

Holiday? What's that? Retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Working? Which job? My day job or the ranch?

No "off days" unless I sneak in a few days off while on the road as I did last week.

Tractor quit again (bad fuel, again) so that's first on the agenda when I'm through here in the office today.

Tomorrow? Repair another section of fence downed by a dead tree (which involves cutting said tree up), kill a beaver or two, trim a couple of horses feet, mow the yard, move round bales out of hay meadow to hay yard, replace bush hog blades, replace worn fuel system on string trimmer, burn two large brush piles, kill more beavers, finish making a couple of reloading blocks for .45-70, and find time to reload some .45-70 & .45LC.
Might even get to work on my shooting bench if I can find that 25th hour in one of the days.

Holiday? What's that? Retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be. grin

Ed

Holy cats glad I ain't that busy! smile
Physically in the office all day but "work"?

Well, I'm posting here... blush
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Holy cats glad I ain't that busy! smile

And folks wonder why I could care less about spectator sports. I live life, not watch other people play games. grin

Ed
I try not to work a full day any day wink . But I don't get weekends or holidays off "with pay" - being self-employed has both its pluses and minuses . . . I ain't complaining, though.
The wife and I have choice. Working today and will be home all weekend. We will start our holiday on Sept 3 (when everyone else is gone) with a 5-day white water/steelhead float.

Bringing the wife home after that, and then I'm going back for 12 days.

Life is great!
only sorta working....after we got a couple of offices carpeted yesterday my "boss" said we might do one more today before he heads for the Black Hills, waiting on the call.....then ive got nothing to do till he gets back on Tuesday and we will finish up the building next week....first time in 13 years i aint really working more than full time minus a couple weeks healing up from back surgery a few years back....

prolly spend the weekend going through all the chit Darla boxed up while i was out at ScottF's since what lil ive seen so far shows she didnt do what i asked so should prolly inventory just what i do and dont have....
I left on Wednesday to come to Alaska to visit my son. But its not that I work that hard anyway, as I'm semi-retired. Nice break after 3 weeks of work just getting back from So. Africa. smile
not leaving town till Sat. nite,

so yes I'm working a long day today.

but then I may not come back till tues. or wed.

life has it's rewards

and lordy but this life has been good to me
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Kids just can't handle their booze anymore..

Laffin'.
Good schit.
Nothing going on today and the phone is silent. Nobody calls in the last couple hours before a three day weekend so we're packing up early. One of the few benefits of owning your business is the flexibility in hours. We work long enough throughout the year to get a break now and again like today and the company fishing trip next month.
11 hour shifts straight through from today to next Tues. I'm filling in for a co-worker on Labor Day and she's filling in for me so I can go to a gun show the following week.
10 hrs today, 8 tomorrow, then 3 days off. Will be soaking eggs and pulling plugs for silvers with my wife and boys for a couple of days. Hard to focus on salmon though with 10 days of moose hunting coming up in a couple of weeks.
No holiday here. In two weeks it will be Chuseok (Harvest Celebration) here in Koreans shut down for three days. A big holiday for them. I will work and take them when I get home a week later.
© 24hourcampfire