Home
My son passed away about 3:00 this morning. He would have been 41 on Thursday.

It wasn't completely unexpected. He suffered from anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome, APS. It's a uniformly fatal autoimmune disease that causes excessive clotting, and hence pulmonary embolisms and pulmonary hypertension. I think he may hold the world's record for how long he survived after diagnosis: 14 years. So we're thankful for that.

I hope this doesn't make you good folks sad. We're happy for the 41 years we got.

As a side note, if you have sleep apnea, get yourself on a CPAP. Apnea causes pulmonary hypertension. I have a little bit of it myself, from going many years without treatment. If you want to live to be as old as my dad (94), get on your CPAP and stick with it, regardless.
Jesus. I'm very sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Of course it's sad; no father should have to bury his son. I am very sorry for your loss and will certainly pray for you & your family's peace.

I am very happy to hear your gratitude for the time he was here. That'll get you through the tough days ahead.

Take care sir,

Efw
So sorry for your loss.

You have my deepest condolences. Prayers sent.
My prayers go out to you and your family, God bless, and God speed
Denton- you and your family have my most sincere condolences.
so, so sorry for you Denton! he faced this quite bravely from the stories you've related to us.

you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

-matt
May your son Rest in Peace now.
I just don't know that I have enough words to console your loss but am glad he survived as long as he did...
May the God of All Comfort be with you in this time of loss.
Originally Posted by denton

It wasn't completely unexpected. He suffered from anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome, APS. It's a uniformly fatal autoimmune disease that causes excessive clotting, and hence pulmonary embolisms and pulmonary hypertension. I think he may hold the world's record for how long he survived after diagnosis: 14 years. So we're thankful for that.

I hope this doesn't make you good folks sad. We're happy for the 41 years we got.

As a side note, if you have sleep apnea, get yourself on a CPAP. Apnea causes pulmonary hypertension. I have a little bit of it myself, from going many years without treatment. If you want to live to be as old as my dad (94), get on your CPAP and stick with it, regardless.

Sorry for your loss.

Travis
I've not experienced such a loss and can only imagine your grief but with whatever measure I can I share it with you. My deepest condolences.
May the Good Lord be with you, your Wife, and your family at this time. May he hold your Son in his loving arms, now and always. I would write more, but the truth is the tears and the heartache for you and yours makes it hard. Take care of each other, and be safe in your love for one another, and your Son.

Lynn

Condolences Denton.

It wasn't completely unexpected.

It doesn't matter...losing a child is as bad as it gets.
I need a tissue now.
Can't be much worse than losing a child. Hope I never find out, though I've worried about it some. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time Denton.
I'm truly at a loss for words.
No parent should suffer the loss of a child, even an adult one. My sincerest, Denton.
Sir, I am very sorry for your loss.
Denton,

I wish to express my sympathy for the loss of your son. And I also understand your gratitude for the years in which you got to share in the joy of his life.

I send best wishes for the entire bereaved family.

Sorry for your loss. frown

My condolences to you and your family.

Eric
Sir, you have my sincere condolences

Sorry to hear of your loss Denton - my condolences. frown

Just diagnosed and have started using an APAP. My apnea was getting pretty bad.
We're happy for the 41 years we got

An admirable perspective. Sorry for you loss.
Sorry for the death of your Son.
Prayers for healing your family's Sprit on the way.

Remember as long as the departed are remembered in fondness they are still with us.
Prayers sent!

What was his first name?
Sorry to hear. Prayers for your family.
Condolences, to you and your family.
So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine having to bury my son.
Sorry for your loss Sir, prayers of comfort offered.
God Bless Sir
Very sorry to hear about this Denton. Prayers to you and your family are on the way. We are all living on borrowed time, one just never knows.............
Kind of a long story, but a happier note;

For a long time, he was in a great deal of pain. The doctors had diagnosed pleurisy, which is the lung rubbing against the inside of the rib cage. It's very painful.

Several months ago, we got to wondering if something else could explain the pain. So we took him to an exceptional chiropractor that we know. In about 5 minutes he found that Eric had ribs out of their sockets, and went to work putting them back in.

He stood straighter, breathed deeper, got off his pain meds, and his oxygenation improved to the point that he could go without oxygen for hours without discomfort. He told me that he felt the best he had for years. So two weeks ago, his friend took him and his wife and daughter to Strawberry reservoir, where they had an absolute ball fishing. He couldn't have even contemplated such a thing a year ago. God gave him one terrific fishing trip, right before the end.
My condolences and prayers for comfort for you and yours, Denton.

George
So sorry to read this Denton. Expected or not, a parent should not know this sort of pain. Condolences to you, your wife, and the family.
Denton, I'm sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family Sir.
man, very sorry sir. you and yours have my prayers.
May the Lord bless and keep you all.

Condolences, Denton.

Greg
Losing a child , nothing could be worst for parents. Very sorry for your loss, even if it was expected
You have my deepest sympathy, sir. I'm glad that you had that many years with him. May he rest in peace and may you and your family be blessed.

As to the CPAP, I will second your recommendation. We lost a very good friend a couple of years ago because he didn't wear his CPAP one night. He left behind twin boys, 18 months old, and a four year old son. He was 34 years old.

Ed
Sorry to hear,may God keep.
I can't add any more to what's already been said.

Sorry for the loss of your loved one.
My condolences Denton.

I am glad to hear that he had a fantastic fishing trip with a friend right before the end.
Denton,

My sincerest condolences. My heart goes out to you. We lost my wife's son and only child almost three years ago to a five year battle with leukemia. He was 40 at the time. Prayers for you and your family.

Mart
My heartfelt prayers offered for all of your family.
So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and yours.
May your son rest in peace sir.
Sorry for your loss

Important advice you give on the cpap, thanks on behalf of others. It just might plant a seed and steer someone towards taking action for their health's sake.
Prayers for comfort & healing from OH. I have no words, but I pray God find the right ones for you.

FC
I'm so sorry for your loss. Best thoughts for you and your family.
I pray I never have to go through this. It breaks my heart to read it. Praying for you and your family.
So sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss Denton.
Originally Posted by okie
I just don't know that I have enough words to console your loss but am glad he survived as long as he did...

+1000, I can't even imagine what you must me going through. Prayers for your family.
Very sorry for your loss.

We lost a child; no greater pain in this world...

Grace to you and your wife.
Originally Posted by efw
Of course it's sad; no father should have to bury his son. I am very sorry for your loss and will certainly pray for you & your family's peace.

I am very happy to hear your gratitude for the time he was here. That'll get you through the tough days ahead.

Take care sir,

Efw
My sentiments, exactly. God bless and comfort you and your family.
I am very sorry for your loss.

My condolences
Godspeed. The mere thought is incomprehensible to me.
Prayers for you at this time. Whoa! frown
Very sorry for your loss, my heartfelt and humble sympathies are with you. Prayers for comfort
It's good to hear that he had some relief from his pain before he passed.

My deepest condolences.
can't help but feel sad denton, sorry, no reflection upon you or your post.

I'd deeply saddened for your family's loss.

but even the way you handle this scenario speaks to the class, dignity and strength of your spirit.

unless you've greatly fooled us by your posts here, you're made of the right stuff sir.

I'm glad you're as strong as you are, my best guesstimate leaves me feeling your family will need the rock you seem to be.

God's blessings upon you and yours, and what a classy move to remain grateful for the 41 years you had instead of the years you will be deprived with that young man.

you always exhibit good form, denton, good form indeed.
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers for your family are on the way...
Thinking of your family.
denton, we are more like family, after all these years, than strangers on the internet.
I thank you for posting this information. You did the right thing.
I am thinking of you and your family in this time.
Denton, sorry for your family's loss.......
Sorry to hear that on Labor Day weekend. May your son rest in peace.
Denton, you and your family are in my prayers. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose a child, especially if you have had him for 41 years. I pray for God's blessing on you and your family and may his promise comfort you in this time of sorrow.
My deepest condolences.
Denton, my deepst sympathies for you and your family. I am glad that Eric was able to enjoy one last fantastic fihing trip with his Friend.
Sorry for your loss.
There is no worse pain. As a Father who has had to bury a Son my heart goes out to your and your Son's family. May he rest in peace and may you find solace in the memories that will live on.

God Bless.

Harry
Sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss Denton!

May he rest in peace.

Mike
Sorry for your loss, praying for you and your family.
My deepest sympathies for you and your family.

40 years ago we laid to rest our 7yr old daughter who was killed crossing the road. I well remember the depth of that sorrow.

You and your family have my continuing prayer for your recovery and healing.

Thanks for allowing all of us to share in your burden.

Jim
denton, my sincere condolences at your loss.
My sincere condolences, Denton.
Thank you for allowing us to both celebrate your son's life with you, and grieve with you. I hope your family will find the comfort you deserve.
I am sorry for your loss, but glad that you had him for 41 years. My dad was a physician and I was always amazed (as was he) at how some people were able to defy the odds of survival. Glad again that your son was one of them.
Very sorry to hear this. God's blessing on you and your family.
Denton, my thoughts and prayers sir.

I am sorry for your tragic loss.
well denton
pulled an old double barrel not worth much shotgun out yesterday to oil it up to take dove hunting on monday. I never could hit nutz with it, but my son could, as it was his. I take it with me every year, even if it's not used. I went down to the stock tank and sat on the desert where we use to sit. I buried my son about ten years ago, and the start of dove season always makes me think of the times we had together.
One should not have to lose a child, but then nobody asks our opinion.
I hope this comes through, that I for sure understand possibly the feelings you are experiencing.
Take consolilation in his period of trial is over, and you will meet again.
Ron
My condolences Denton.
Denton,MY PRAYERS ARE SENT YOUR WAY,MAY HE FOREVER REST IN THE LORDS ARMS.Skeeter
Prayers for you and yours.
Denton, may you find joy in memories of your son and know you are in the hearts and prayers of us all. Ward
my condolences and prayers for you and your family. i am glad you had him as long as you did. i am sure you made the most of your time.

keith

Sorry to hear of his leaving at such a young age

Prayers to you and your family.
He is in a much better place.
Denton, I'm sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family Sir.
I am completely stunned Denton, to outlive a child is something no parent should have to do, I'm very sorry to hear of your Son's passing and will pray for you and your family's peace.

Thanks for the heads up on the pulmonary hypertension I will beat it over my best buds head tonight.

Again, I'm very sorry Denton. I know you have a lot of support but if there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate.

Thank you for sharing this with us as it means a lot to know that you think enough of us to share it.

Peace be with you.
Prayers to you an your family, Denton.
I'm sorry for your family's loss.

And bless you for expressing a concern for the health of others.
Denton: Your post and situation did indeed make me sad, VERY sad!
That is the least of my concerns.
I wish and pray that you and your family will indeed take much solace in the fact that your beloved was with you for 41 years!
I am so sorry for your loss.
It seems, sometimes, to me, that life is not fair and its so filled with difficulties and tragedy (like the untimely passing of your son!) but I counter that outlook with all the wonderful times that life has brought to me - and to you and yours.
Be strong and thank you for sharing with us/me!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
So sorrry to hear this. Prayers for comfort your way. And thanks for posting, many here I'm sure that need a sleep study including myself.
My sincere condolences, denton, to you and your family. You're lucky you got to have your son for 41 years, but it's sad you can't have another 41 with him.
Again, my condolences for your family's loss.
Denton, I'm so sorry you're Son has passed away. I cant imagine what your family is dealing with. R.I.P. frown
So sorry for your loss. Prayers and condolences for your family.

Paul
Denton- you have my deepest sympathy.
Denton,

I'm so sorry for your loss and want you to know you have my prayers.

David
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Denton.
I am so sorry to hear this news. Prayers on the way.
Very sorry for your loss. Prayers sent, hoping God comforts you and your family in this time.
Praying that God would comfort your family.....sorry for your loss!
Thank you for feeling comfortable enough to share such a personal family experience amongst some internet friends. My family will certainly pray for your family.

-John
Very sorry for your loss. Your statement about being thankful for the years with your son really hit home.

We lost our 27 year old son in a motor vehicle accident July 5th.
My wife and I are very grateful for those years.

All the best to you and your family.

Wayne
Sorry to hear of his passing, it is a hard thing to lose a son. Glad he had some good years and some good memories there at the end.

Dennis
If there's a tougher hand to draw to than the one you were just dealt, Denton, I don't know what it is.

I'm real sorry for you.
Of course this is saddening to learn - can't help it - you lost a dear son. A most difficult thing to experience - what could be more saddening?

It is good of you to share your contemplations and feelings on such a painful day. Your son must have been made of really good stuff to have fought that battle so well and for so long - and such good stuff usually comes from parents like you, and from your family. It is gratifying to read your positive words about your son and your experience with it all. Have never had the pleasure to meet you, but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers this evening.
denton;
Please accept sincere condolences from me as well.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends left behind.

Dwayne
Very sorry for your loss
I am very sorry for your loss.
Denton,
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know how I would get along if I had to outlive my son.

May God bless and keep your son, and give your family the peace that only He can give.
That's a sad situation.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully someone that needs to, will heed your advice.
I am so very sorry for your loss sir. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

God's Peace

I am very sorry for your loss. This past July was two years since my 26 year old son passed. You have a long road ahead of you, but it does get marginally better with each month/year. Again I am sorry for your loss, a parent should NEVER out-live one of their children.
Denton, I don't know you sir but I share the love of a parent for a child. Even with advance knowledge such a death is .....I'm at a loss for a word. God bless you and yours with compassion and comfort in this time. Praying for you all.
Sad news for sure. Sounds like he had a great family behind that is what matters.
I'm really sorry to hear this denton.
I'll include you and yours in my prayers tonight.I can't imaging.
You and your family have my sincere condolences.
My sincere condolences. God's peace and healing. Amen.
Thank you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
denton,

Please accept my deepest condolences. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Sorry to hear this, rest in peace.
Tough deal, pal. I'm so sorry.
Very sorry for your family's loss, sir. Deepest condolences.
Denton, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You certainly have a great outlook on this, being thankful for 41 years with your son. Best, John
My sincere condolences, Denton. I am sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss, denton. My every thought is with you and your family.

L2S
The thoughts and prayers make the Campfire a special place.
Heartfelt prayers sent for peace at this sad time.

Denton - words cannot express....may God hold your son in his hand. God bless you and your family.
Very sorry to hear of your loss! Prayers sent for all of you.
Very sorry for your loss, sir.

Earlier this week I had a notification for a 40 year old. It, again, reinforced my feelings that a parent shouldn't have to outlive his/her children.

I'm gonna hug Connor extra today.

George
© 24hourcampfire