Home
Posted By: maggie Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
Any recommendations for a good mud/snow tire? 1/2 ton quad cab 4WD, not used for towing or extra heavy loads, road noise takes second place to good traction in mud and snow. Not fond of all-seasons, prefer something with some side lug. Thanks
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
Cooper ST Maxx or Goodyear DuraTrac. Had em both and both are fantastic tires.

The ST Maxx is heavy but the sidewall is STOUT! The DuraTrac doesn't have as stiff of a sidewall and is lighter. I went with the ST Maxx this go round just for that reason

Have coopers on my suburban ,they are ok. If traction in snow is the priority BFG ATs. Are one of the best I have ever seen. Have them on my K5 and had a set on a samurai. Not the best for ride and handling but neither are the coopers. Always a trade off..
Posted By: K1500 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
If snow AND mud are on the menu, the Duratrac is pretty hard to beat. Kanati makes a copy called the trail hog. Same tread but a 3 ply (vs Goodyears 2 ply) sidewall and a bit cheaper to boot. I am running them now and they are noisy, but go very well in mud and such. I drive a crew cab diesel and I think they would be better on a gasser. Both the duratrac and the trail hog are mountain snowflake rated. The BFG is supposed to be good in the snow but bad in the mud, but I have never run them so I don't know.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
I've run BFG on five vehicles, currently a Dodge 2500 Diesel and can assure you they are great in mud.
Posted By: safariman Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
Myself, JJHack, and my elk hunting guide freind all use and swear by Toyo Mud Terrain tires. Awesome snow and mud grip, and my last set went 60,000 hard use miles including towing trailers etc. and lots of rock crawling before I needed to change them out, and they STILL had a lot of tread, far more than just legal to run, on them. I get the 10 ply rated or load range "E" tires and never worry about a rock or stick giving me a flat in the backcountry. My spare tire is one of the Toyo M/T's I took off when I last bought a set of tires for this truck. My truck, by the way, is a 6,000lb dry weight heavy duty Avalanche. And I drive it and use it hard both on and off the road. My next set of tires will be another four load range "E" Toyo Mud Terrain's.
Posted By: safariman Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
PS agree 100% that the BF Goodrich AT's are terrific in basic snow over blacktop, but they will clog up and become slicks very quickly in very much mud. Outstanding dry pavement traction for an all season tire, as well. Sherri actually ran them when she took her F/I 318 powered Jeep to the drag races, and those tires were a BOOGER to try to get to slip or do a burnout with! She finally ran without doing a burnout and did great. Beating a Chrysler 300 Hemi etc and making it through a couple of rounds in Sportsmans class drag racing earlier this summer. To save wear on her jeep, she is just racing her motorcycle now. Cheaper to feed AND to fix.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
Originally Posted by GunGeek
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

Yup
Posted By: maggie Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
Thanks all, for suggestions so far, main concern is mud, snow secondly, but definitely looking for a tire that will clean itself of either, and get good side bite for turning. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, and dry pavement/noise/etc. are not a big concern. I'll look into suggestions so far, much appreciated.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
I have been using Michelin X� Radial LT2 & x radial M/S for years and could not be happier. Mileage has exceeded 65k every time with tread to spare but hate starting hunting season with that many miles on tires so I change them ready or not. On my Dakota V8 4X4 they work great in mud & snow of the high sierra's. My buddy in NY/PA border area's runs them on his 3/4 ton Suburban towing heavy loads (art on stone) up and down the east coast to shows.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
I have had a jeep for 12 years now and have had 3 sets of tires on it. BFG ATs, pro comp mud terains and good year dura tracks. Best of the 3 dura tracks by a landslide.

BFG ATs are a great pavment/ snow tire but they suck in the mud. The pro comp mud terrains were as expected great in the mud but loud as hell on the road and were good in the snow. The good year dura tracks are good in the mud even better in the snow and the road noise is less than most tires this aggresive. Love em. Will buy another set after these are shot.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
I used BFG's for many years, until. A couple of years ago i had four blow up on me going down the freeway on my truck, one right after another. And after the letter i got from goodrich disclaiming any responsibility because i did not stop immediately and the tire was shreaded. How do you stop immediately at 70mph?
No more.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/08/14
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

We run these on all our patrol/emergency vehicles. Probably the best tire you're going to find for a variety of conditions.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
I put Dura tracks on my 98 Dodge last fall, AT 6 760 feet, we get snow and they did very well in snow, but also performed admirably in last year's muddy muzzle loader season.

I might put the Coopers on my wife's Tacoma this winter as they are about $300 cheaper and she doesn't do as much deep snow driving. If you go with the AT's, you do a compromise as they are rated better on pavement. If you want 1st class snow tires, go with the Dura Track.

A lot of guys say the yare soft and squishy. They are suppose to be as snow tires are made to be softer for better traction.
Mud terrain T/A's for me.

Mike
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
I've been happy with Fierce Attitude MTs on my 99 Cummins. They're 10 ply but not too heavy like some E range tires. I haven't had them in really thick mud but they have done well on slick clay and in the snow last winter.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by Raeford
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

Yup

I've got them on my F250 and they ain't worth a crap in mud. Get something like Cooper STT's if you're gonna be on the road a lot with 'em. Look at Super Swamper LTB's if they're for mostly off-road.

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Hankook Dynapro MT on my Samurai have been great.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/w...shootout-first-place-hankook-dynapro-mt/
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Forgot about those. Had them on a suburban and they were really good tires. Maybe not the best on wet pavement but certainly not bad.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Take a look at the Dick Cepek Mud Country Radial.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Dick-Cepek-Mud-Country.htm
Posted By: DaveR Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Cooper ST Maxx or Goodyear DuraTrac. Had em both and both are fantastic tires.

The ST Maxx is heavy but the sidewall is STOUT! The DuraTrac doesn't have as stiff of a sidewall and is lighter. I went with the ST Maxx this go round just for that reason

I would steer very clear of the Duratracs if you have a lot of rocks where you drive.

Had a set on my Tacoma double cab 4x4. Didn't have a lot of miles on them. Had 3 out of 4 sidewall gashes / punctures on an elk hunt last year in a matter of days. They were the "c" rated Duratracs, but I was not going to try it again with the "e" rated tires. When I bought them, they were a fairly new tire without a lot of real world reviews. Google told the story when I got back. They're known for their sidewall issues now.

Lost one on the hunt to a 3/8" wet stick. Right through the sidewall. Lost tire since nobody will patch a sidewall. When they took the tires off I could not believe how thin they were. Pathetically thin.

They were pretty decent in the mud and in the rain, snow, ice. But they SUCK if you drive anywhere near anything sharp. Arizona's rocks ate those things alive. Same exact roads, trip after trip, many miles, with Bridgestone MT's, Firestone MT's, and now the Goodyear MTR's, and not a single issue.

I went with the Goodyear MT/R Kevlars this time around.

If you consider the Duratracs, don't even think about the "c" rated tire.
Posted By: safariman Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

Those look about ideal! And, they look a LOT Like the Toyo MT's.
Posted By: Waygoner Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
I put a set of Goodyear Authorities on my Toyota last summer. I couldn't believe the crap I drove through last elk season after Colorado had all that rain. Great traction in the wet stuff and good on rocks. They're a little loud on pavement, but they're pretty cheap at Walmart. I think around $180 for a 265/75-16.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

+1 or Maxxis Bighorns running on my Jeep now.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762

Most of the tires posted here so far are for suburban dwellers that need to go for bread and milk.

JMHO
Posted By: GF1 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
I really like Firestone' Destination A/T. I've had them on for a bit over a year on an F350 4x4 and love them. I've had either one ton or 3/4 ton trucks for three decades, and these are the best tires I've had yet. Ride well, good traction in wet/snow/mud, and they are tough.

A close friend works at a tire shop in the rocky cow country in southwest Idaho (Owyhee County), says these are the current top sellers. I can see why.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Duratracs suck! I had one of the first sets.

Since all tires pack up, a dang Michelin MTS and lockers works as good as any, doesn't hurt your gas milage, and are quiet. Do consider a snow rated tire though. Side lugs are almost useless too except in rocks and logs.

Best way to see how a side lug or typical mud tread works is to leave some poop in your butt crack and run your finger through it.

I go places in my Land Rover with street tires that proves to me, tires mean Doodley Squat.

Its aweful humbling to have your locked and cocked Rubicon slide off a mountain road and have a Subaru drive on past without spinning a tire.

I do agree with the Destination AT and Goodrich AT, but the MT versions don't do anything better.
Posted By: mog75 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R kevlar. I've got them on my jeep and my f250. Wife says they're noisy, but i'm hard of hearing and I don't like shoveling.[Linked Image]

I'm not sure what kind of roads you drive but I avoid the duratracs like the plague. I tried them once and they were completely bald/cords showing in under 20000 (~95% gravel driving). From the good reviews I see here I'm guessing they last pretty good on the pavement. Kelly fierce attitude is another good tire.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have a set of their Dynapro At3 all terrain tires on my CrewMax Tundra and like them quite well. Good traction and excellent wear so far. And, they have enough sidewall stiffness to handle well when towing my +9k lb. 5th wheel.
I run BF Goodrich TA Commercial's up here in Alaska. They cost about $165 each, are C rated and have good tread life for the money along with fairly aggressive tread. We see them on lots of guys with plow rigs.
Posted By: sackett Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Cooper Discoverer AT/3, best tire I've owned (that list includes BFG, Mastercraft, Firestone, Goodyeat and Armstrong)

Discoverer AT/3
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by sackett
Cooper Discoverer AT/3, best tire I've owned (that list includes BFG, Mastercraft, Firestone, Goodyeat and Armstrong)

Discoverer AT/3

My son had put a set on his F-150 and really liked them, so I put a set on my Dodge Ram, when the factory originals died. Good tires.
Posted By: mog75 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
I run BF Goodrich TA Commercial's up here in Alaska. They cost about $165 each, are C rated and have good tread life for the money along with fairly aggressive tread. We see them on lots of guys with plow rigs.

I've been seeing a lot of those around here lately. Mostly crew vehicles and pumper pickups. The price makes them tempting as did the price on the duratracs. I just have better luck with bigger lugs in my environment. Maybe the tires I'm running would be shot in 20000 on pavement, I don't know. I think it depends a lot on the conditions.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/09/14
toyo's or nitto trail grapplers are the best IMO and i;ve run just about all of them at one time or another, i personally like the trail grapps. bad ass tire for everything
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
Having good results with Firestone Destinations here, but I don't push on stuff that hard either.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
And mud and snow is always relative. Might as well be running slicks when it's really deep or slimy.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2, run these in 255-80R-17 on my 1-ton dually, best damn farming/pasture/hunting tires I've ever ran, they're 'E' rated 10 plys too.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
Of the tires mentioned, I think the Toyo mud terrains are the best and the BFG mudders second. I can't think of a worse all terrain tire than the BFG all terrains; they load up with mud, are slippery on rocks and seem prone to whining prematurely. I would never own another set but still have buddies that do. We replaced one set recently with Cooper AT/3 which are a much better tire.

If you want Mud tires, however, the Toyos are very good. I have a set of BFGs mudders I run in the winter because I got them cheap and they are good but seem to wear quicker than not.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
I run duratracs on my duramax. I bought them before they were cool and liked the snow and mud performance. I run bfg at on my 4runner. I've had a dozen sets of the bfg....cause I have not been let down yet. I am going to put a set of bfg on my new excursion. I work in Prudhoe bay Alaska and 99% of all rigs here wear duratracs and are way heavier than anything most people drive.

The one I'm surprised didn't get mentioned is the toyo m55.
'Nothen big plus for the Toyo's

Have a set on my Tacoma and will be buying a set for the Wife's 4-Runner before winter.

Virgil B.
Posted By: JDK Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/10/14
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I can't think of a worse all terrain tire than the BFG all terrains; they load up with mud, are slippery on rocks and seem prone to whining prematurely.

I had a set on my F150 and agree. They were a terrible mud tire. My dealer can get any brand of tire and recommended the Nitto Trail Grapplers over the Cooper AT/3 based soley on price. So far they have been a tires.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/20/14
The toyo's on my truck only lasted 25k. Great tire in snow, I don't have a high amount of mud but what mud was encountered was no problem.

Gravel roads will chew them up though. I drive and hunt on considerable amounts of gravel roads. Those tire did not last at all on gravel. At least not with the E rated tires on my diesel truck.

The big tire dealer here told me I could expect 25-35 and he was right on the money. I will not buy them again. I'll be looking for E rated street/snow tires next. No more mud and snow deep lugged tires on my pickup. The just don't last and they sling gravel like a weapon off road!

For light weight dedicated off road or primary off road vehicle they are perfect. However they are too soft for a heavy duty truck application IMO.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/20/14
I am running the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on my jeep. They have a very nice side lug pattern that is a bit different on each side ... just depends which way you mount them. No road noise and wearing pretty decent so far. I will go with them on my next truck tire purchase also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/20/14
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I am running the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on my jeep. They have a very nice side lug pattern that is a bit different on each side ... just depends which way you mount them. No road noise and wearing pretty decent so far. I will go with them on my next truck tire purchase also.

[Linked Image]

This!

In spades.

I am running the same tire in 10 ply on my 3/4 ton 4x4.
Best tire I have ever had on the ground. Ever.

Got 30k miles on them now, and they look good for another 30. Rotate them though.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/20/14
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Originally Posted by sackett

Discoverer AT/3

My son had put a set on his F-150 and really liked them, so I put a set on my Dodge Ram, when the factory originals died. Good tires.

I went with the Cooper A/T for my truck too
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Mud/Snow truck tire? - 09/21/14
Originally Posted by GF1
I really like Firestone' Destination A/T. I've had them on for a bit over a year on an F350 4x4 and love them. I've had either one ton or 3/4 ton trucks for three decades, and these are the best tires I've had yet. Ride well, good traction in wet/snow/mud, and they are tough.

A close friend works at a tire shop in the rocky cow country in southwest Idaho (Owyhee County), says these are the current top sellers. I can see why.

Bridgestone Dueler Revo2's here. Basically the same tire as the Destination A/T but with different tread. Got about 75k on my first set, now at 50k on my second. Great tire.
© 24hourcampfire