Home
Posted By: AndySpencer My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14
Before I ever had kids, I imagined the day I'd take my son on his first rifle hunt. Here are some pics from his first hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Little brother was as excited as big brother.

[Linked Image]
They even helped me with the butchering.

[Linked Image]

Here's the little write up I did over on my blog if you are interested: http://wp.me/p3bCKM-ql

When did you go on your first rifle hunt?
Thats cool.
Nice. smile
Awesome Andy, thanks for sharing that. Give the boy a big pat on the back for me.
Posted By: T LEE Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14
Outstanding Sir.
Good job Pop. I like the one where he has his foot on it and he is flexing, classic manchild behavior. Lol
Posted By: JSTUART Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14

Congratulate the lad for me Andy.
[Linked Image]
My son's first piggy.
He don't look like that anymore. He's taller than me now but I'll never forget that hunt.
Posted By: mudhen Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14
Good job, Andy! You should both be proud!
Posted By: Scotty Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14
Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: RickyD Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/10/14
Of all the things I remember, hunts with my dad and my son, I remember the best. Much to be taught and much to be learned. It should be as mandatory as owning a gun.
Thanks for the kudos gents. I enjoyed the hunt a bunch.
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/11/14
That is great! Glad to see you are raising him right.
Congratulations to you and your son, Andy.

My 8 year old son and I are gearing up for his first hunt in a week and a half. It'll take place the weekend of the 20th and 21st when our state has it's youth deer hunt.

He's been practicing with my Ruger compact .223 and doing pretty well. He's handling the rifle well, working the bolt and safety all on his own. He even loads the gun himself, making sure to slide each round to the rear of the magazine after he pops it past the feed lips.

My only real concern is how he'll react if he gets a chance to kill one. He's a pretty tender hearted lad and I'd hate for him to be turned off to hunting forever by killing a deer before he's emotionally ready.

Again, congrats to you and your son, Andy. I always enjoy the Tremendous Whatnot blog, even following you on FB. Looks like you and your boys have a ball enjoying the outdoors.
Thanks Scott! The reason for my blog, besides just liking to write, is to inspire others to foster the love of hunting and fishing in the next generations.

Good luck with you and your son's hunt. I'd have him watch a few hunting shows with you before hand, to get him acquainted with where meat comes from. Also, if he hesitates and decides he doesn't want to shoot one, its all right. The experience is what counts. He will come around.

Be sure to let us know how the hunt goes.
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Thanks Scott! The reason for my blog, besides just liking to write, is to inspire others to foster the love of hunting and fishing in the next generations.

Good luck with you and your son's hunt. I'd have him watch a few hunting shows with you before hand, to get him acquainted with where meat comes from. Also, if he hesitates and decides he doesn't want to shoot one, its all right. The experience is what counts. He will come around.

Be sure to let us know how the hunt goes.

He's helped me with gutting the last couple deer I've shot, mostly just holding the deer's legs out of the way and watching. Last year while watching he mentioned that it was too bad we had killed a wild animal. I explained to him all the reasons we hunt, population control of the animals being one of the biggest. He was silent for a minute and then said, "I wish I could go deer hunting". smile

I think he'll be alright, but like you said, if he decides not to pull the trigger he'll get no pressure or grief from me.
Posted By: rte Re: My son's first rifle hunt. - 09/11/14
Way to go Andy.

I have some fond memories of my dad and uncles who took me hunting.
© 24hourcampfire