Home
Anyone still close to where they were raised?

If not, how far away are you?

I'm about 1800 mi away but I've lived here long enough I now consider it home and can't wait to get back when visiting my mom.

My older sis is still pretty close to Mom in WI, but my two younger sisters are in CA and NJ so we're kinda spread out.
1000 miles
About 860 miles. Been closer and farther (a lot farther).
10 miles or not even
Born in 73 been here since 78 and don't plan to leave.
50 miles from where I grew up.
about 800 but I have lived where I am longer than where I grew up.
I still have my values though.
I am 32 mi. from where I was raised.
I live 1 block from the house I spent half my childhood in. The other half (first half) was 600 miles south.
6 miles from the house I grew up in.
Originally Posted by heavywalker
50 miles from where I grew up.

Same here. kwg
30 miles
5,000 miles.

Ed
About 15 miles.
Live in the house my grandfather built.
Came back home 18 years ago. Thinking about leaving again when I retire.
1800+-.
It's been 35 years I've been gone.
Wished that i was there right now,i do miss it.
1,100 miles
85 miles or so. Was 180 and 240 for 5 years.
Just bought some property and a house 4 miles from my parents place. So it looks like I'm here to stay.
900 miles. Left 34 years ago. I go back for two weeks a year over thanksgiving and for deer hunting season. No plans to return there to live.
I grew up about 30 min north of here and married a woman from the same neighborhood where I live now and have since '00.

We're both from what could now be called the greater Grand Rapids area, although when I was growing up my town was a town not a suburb which is all it is now, sadly.

As much as I sometime wish I could move West (SLC or RC) I'll likely be buried here; it's my home. We've raised our kids to think the same way, although I wouldn't blame them if they left particularly if they had to due to vocation.
General consensus is that I never will grow up, but I currently live about 185 miles from where I spent my early years.
I currently live 1800 miles west of where I lived during my grade school years and 1300 miles east of where I lived during my high school years, and right in the middle of God's country.

I live about 12 miles from where I grew up and about 2 miles from the exact location of where I was born. I lived about 60 miles away for several years and in MO about a year....long enough to know it wasn't for me.
I live 1495 miles from where I grew up. Much happier in Colorado than California, and will be here until the kids are done with school.
I had been 235 miles away but a career change moved me closer (185) and a transfer moved me even closer (100). I'm hoping for one more transfer and then it will be back in the same town.

Dale
15 miles from where I grew up. Where I live now is where I have always hunted for the most part and always visioned myself living where I do.
According to Google maps I am 2,899 miles from where I was born. That is from Little Falls, NY to the farm in Discovery Bay, WA but I refuse to grow up so I really cannot answer the question.
Roughly 300 yards....
Originally Posted by Stush
Roughly 300 yards....

8000 miles, give or take a 1000 or so.......
I'm right back where I started. Moved away a couple of times but some say the Gulf is like a magnet. I'm as far south as I can get and still be in sweet home Alabama.
Originally Posted by MojoHand

If not, how far away are you?

I'm about 1800 mi away but I've lived here long enough I now consider it home and can't wait to get back when visiting my mom.

My older sis is still pretty close to Mom in WI, but my two younger sisters are in CA and NJ so we're kinda spread out.
same adresss I had from age 5 , did make a few rounds for a while in my late teens / early 20"s
About 350. Lived 4700 miles away for awhile. Been away for 28 years but visit whenever I can
This is interesting!

How about we add some more substance to this thread and say a few words about HOW and WHY we ended up where we did?

This could be UBER!

smile
Five miles for me. I did my work thing and retired back to where I grew up. Family and friends are a large part of that equation.

donsm70
within 10 miles or so. I honestly wouldn't consider living anywhere but Idaho, Montana or Alaska
Two blocks for me. Didn't get very far.....
Depends on if I'm in Dallas (26 miles)or Rocksprings(325 miles).
As long as I'm in Texas, I'm home.
Thirty years ago, I purchased the property I was born and raised on. I am still here.

My three kids grew up here and now all live within ten miles of our house. All eight grand kids are or will soon be going to school in the same building I attended elementary school.

When you live in the middle of paradise, there's not much reason to move.
I live 4 blocks from where I was born and about 3-4 miles from where I was raised.

Spent 10 years away and came back home.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
This is interesting!

How about we add some more substance to this thread and say a few words about HOW and WHY we ended up where we did?

This could be UBER!

smile

Got a teaching job so headed west. Believe it or not, I had a contract offered to teach in Hawaii. I figured too many people and no hunting so I chose Idaho.... wink
Two thousand miles.

L.W.
I live almost 3,000 miles away from where I grew up.
Grew up in Trinity County, California and joined the Army when I was 17. I did a 4 year enlistment and got out and went back home and worked in the woods. Reenlisted in 97 and retired here in Colorado last year. Haven't been back to California since 2005.
About 860 from where I was born (Big Rock, west of Mt. Vernon WA) and 700 from where I grew up.

I used to joke that bad karma brought me to Utah but living 5 miles south of the Idaho border has grown on me and I'll be happy to spend the rest of my years here.
about 3 1/2 miles!
I live about 300 yards from where I was born, in a house that is in the exact place that my Grandparents built a house out of rough cut sawmill lumber, to replace a 2 story house that burned down when I was a month old. The 2 story house was to replace a log house that my Great Grandfather built when he moved here after the civil war, from Mississippi. It also burned and was about 75 yards from my current house. The old pump is still there. I tore down the one built when I was a baby because it was in bad shape and would have been hard to fix up because of the way it was built. The land has been owned by our family since 1889. 2 acres where I was born was sold off, but I have bought it back and the place is whole again. miles
MojoHand;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the interesting thread you've started here and of course thanks to the respondents too.

It looks like we live 1624.5km or 1009 miles from where I was born and another 40 odd miles further yet to where I grew up in Saskatchewan.

Roughly speaking it's about 20 hours straight driving if one wants to do it in one go - quite a stretch really I guess.

Our family is even more spread out, with some living 5 more hours further east and some that far west of us.

Thanks again for the reading tonight sir, all the best to you this fall and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne
A mile.
I am about 500 miles from where I grew up.
About 20 hours @ 600mph.
First 50 years of my life I grew up, got out of HS, attended college, got married and raised our two younguns within 75 miles of the hospital I was born in. Moved 500 miles south when my bride was offered a nice raise with a transfer. It came at a good time because we were both growing tired of the cold, snowy winters . . . but mostly the fierce winds that came along with the winters. Don't plan on going back to stay in Nebraska until I go to take my permanent dirt nap. I like it here just fine.

As some others have said, I never did really grow up . . . I just have neater toys wink .
60 miles from where I was born and raised. Both parents recently passed away so there's no reason to move back now.
200 miles, but my hometown in Ashley, ND already had a guy that could fix furnaces..........then mom and dad moved away.....and no more reason to go back there.

sometimes I miss the small town stuff.......most of the time I am thankful to be away from the small town stuff.

smile
About 4 blocks.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
This is interesting!

This could be UBER!

smile

I started moving west when I was two. I stopped when I got to the Pacific. Made the final move from MO to OR when I put my stuff in a hundred dollar convertible and walked away from a real bad marriage. Never looked back. Best thing I ever did.
400 miles to my birthplace. If I had my way, and I soon shall, it will be 4400 miles.
I grew up in a small community on the western edge of the Shenandoah valley in VA. Spent my early years farming and working beef cattle in my home area and in Highland county VA just to the southwest.
In my early 20s I went to Montana to stay after some extended visits just out of school. I stayed for a few years going to school in Bozeman and spending the off time with some friends out in eastern MT hunting and working cattle. I greatly enjoyed my time in Montana and planed to stay but family obligations brought me back home. In that time I ended up with a wife and a son. Wifey has a great job at the local university and they boy would miss his grandparents and vice versa so I guess I'm back home to stay.

My family's home now is about 600 yards from the house I grew up in with my parents
Living most of a continent away from the where I was for the first 21 years.
I'm a Vermont [bleep]' hick. 500 yards from homeplace. Never did grow up.
160 miles from where I spent my first 25 years.
Spotted owl ruined the economy at home, left to find a decent career.
Raised my family here, and been here longer than home.
Visit often, but can't see ever leaving where I am.
My kids are here, and I'll likely be buried here.
About 350 miles from where I was raised.

Grew up in Jamestown NY, went to college in Rochester NY, then to college in Indiana PA, and lived in Punxsutawney PA while I was there.

Met my wife at IUP, and moved to the Philly area. She grew up about 20 minutes from where I now live.
2,572 and I like it better here.
About 1500 now. Moved because of work have been much further away in the past. Cheers NC
According to Google, I'm 4365 Miles - 7024 Km from the home place.

See my sig line.
28 miles from where I was raised. 34 miles from where I was born.
a good 3000 miles or so...across the country...
I live about 45 miles from where I grew up. I moved here for work. When I retire I'll probably move back to that area.
The hospital I was born in is about 5 miles north and the house I grew up in is about 5 miles south.. I live smack dab in the middle. Both the wife and I have fairly established jobs here so don't really ever see leavin.

California gets a bad rap and the Bay Area especially but it's ways been my home and I like it that way just fine.
1561kms
MojoHand,

A little over 1600 miles. Born and raised near Baton Rouge, La. (Zachary). In a few more years I will have lived here longer than that of my birth place.

Rooster7,
When I was a kid, I dreamed of the Northern Rockies and/or Alaska. Didn't make it to Alaska, and probably never will. Wanted to hunt big (possibly dangerous) game in remote places, and get away from cities, interstates, crime, and well the list goes on!!!!

memtb
Somewhere between 160 and 3,790 miles. Army brat.
420 miles. Really miss my hometown, though for some reason, the people there are pretty liberal. Of course, in the 40 years since i lived there, things have changed a lot - not for the better, in my opinion. There used to be factories,and little support industries all over. Looks like there is no place at all to work now. Not sure I would like it now, especially in winter. Erie, Pa gets a bit of snow! Might have to re - discover ice fishing....
Georgia born, Georgia bred, when I die I'll be Georgia dead..

Aside from a few deployments smirk
I grew up in the Rust Belt area of northeast Ohio. When the steel mills in the Mahoning Valley went bust, Youngstown's fate was pretty much sealed. Graduated in 1980, and most of my classmates fled for Atlanta and Texas after college. I hung in down there for a while, but a poor job market and a particularly tough break up with a girlfriend brought me to Minnesota, and I've never looked back. 'Been up here over 20 years now, which puts me around 1000 miles from my birthplace.
My wife and I are retired and live in rural MN in the house I grew up in. I can still shoot off the steps just like when I was a kid.
I don't know. In the past 35 years the longest I've ever lived in one geographical area was 5 years.
About 7000 miles as the crow flies. Come early next year it will be either 1700 miles or 1000 miles, again as the crow flies. Just depends on which house I will be hanging out in. I left my home town in 1995 for West Texas and will soon settle once and for all.
2200ish.

Southeast to the northwest.
About 20 miles
born in the little town on harriston va.when i was 3-4 we moved 1/2 mile south,when i was 12 we moved 3 miles north,when i got married in 1978 i moved 3 miles south again,then in 1996 i moved 1 1/2 miles east and i'm planning on staying here.

so i'm about 2 miles from where i was born.
about 11,000 miles, give or take a few. Why? Too damn many people and rules where I grew up. Here, all the hunting and economic opportunity a guy can handle.

Well, and there was this girl.....
I was born in Eustis FL, and other than a couple of years out of state during college, have lived in FL all my life. Grew up in Jax, Clearwater, Tampa, ST Pete, Miami, Kissimmee, so never far away.
I was born in Ohio but lived all over the world.

Jim
Originally Posted by MojoHand

About 8 miles.. frown
Grew up 15 miles or so from where I'm at now. Been here longer than I was there.
Born in Ft. Worth. There til I was 12. Raised in Austin. Been here on the place since 78. Mebbe 25 miles or so from where I was raised.
About 3 miles
about 80 miles.
20 miles
about 5 miles or less. but i lived all over the world for almost 20 years after high school.
About 200 miles. Moved up here in 1997 when I changed careers. I missed my home area for a while, but after driving through the old haunts while down visiting family I realized that it wasn't the place, but the people/family I longed for.
About 1,300 miles thank God. Had a great childhood and a patient family, but the midwest is just too fuggin' liberal for me.

Travis
1 mile across the field. I've traveled to many places but it is hard to beat Southeast Missouri for variety of outdoor opportunities.
I am an easy rifle shot away (maybe 250 yards). But, I've been a dang lot of places in between. I've Lived a couple places on each coast, Hawaii, and been alot of places overseas while I was in the Navy. Seems like most small town folks live their life trying to get away, I spent the first 10 years of adulthood trying to get back. I made it and am here for good. Been living in the house my wife grew up in for about 12 years now.
I'm close to 1050 miles away. From Western Or. to NW Wyoming. Mostly for work. But I found out that there were places it didn't rain 8 months of the year too. Plus the hunting is better, fewer people, and they are more conservative.

I can't see leaving anytime.
2 miles
I live about 350 miles away.....I was working in the Coal mines and one day!!!! I just said enough. moved to NC. and never looked back that was 28 years ago. I go home for Deer season every year for 2 weeks.
I live about 45 miles from where I grew up, but it was a roundabout trip getting back here, spent 12 years elsewhere before coming home.
Google says I live 1870 miles from where I was born. I grew up in a dozen states, all at least that far away�

Glad to not be in any of them.
cross town... 25 miles or so
I guess I win for the shortest distance since I have never moved 1 time . No college never in the service, have lived in the same house where I was born for 64 years.
4,300 miles give or take few.
50 miles
About 600 miles away for me and no plans to go back except for short visits with my folks.
100 yds. I bought my uncles house next door to my fathers home, the one I grew up in. Bounced around a little after the military, then came back home.
3576 miles.

mom doesn't drop in often

but as she and I get older, wish I was nearer to her to help her out more and just spend more time with her.

but she doesn't want to move here, and I don't want to leave here
2036 miles.
I refuse to grow up.
Last time I drove it was 810 miles by the shortest route, most of my life it was more.
When I grow up, I'll let you know...... but I spent my first 18 years maybe 5,000 miles from here, in central NoDak.

Shoulda bought some Bakken land with mineral rights....
That would be a round trip? smile

https://www.google.com/#q=distance+kotzebue%2C+ak+to+minot%2C+nd
1800 miles by road ... a million miles by culture and outdoors!
512 miles...

Who grew up?
Growing up covers a wide radius, and have been all over the world. But about 48 miles from where I spent most my years before going into the service, and about 70 from where I was born!

Happenstance is what I think picked my location, changing that would be difficult at best...

Phil
Growing old is mandatory

Growing up is optional.
Originally Posted by las
When I grow up, I'll let you know...... but I spent my first 18 years maybe 5,000 miles from here, in central NoDak.

Shoulda bought some Bakken land with mineral rights....

I didn't realize that it has been possible to buy land with the mineral rights attached in N.D. for a long time.
3,783 miles. smile
By road about 18 miles. As the crow flies probably 7 or 8 miles.
A little less than 2 1/2 miles. Don't wander off much, either.
Right now I live about 4 miles from the old house I grew up in, before I left Alaska I was a good hour on 737 from Anchorage, and a good day traveling by air to were I currently live, spent some time living on the island of Kauai and further west Guam! I don't miss the islands one bit, thou I could take Kodiak Island Alaska, never spent much time there, I am poor for that but that was the breaks at the time!
90 miles ...but all over the world to eventually end up back close to brothers and sister.
About 900 miles. Grew up in NY retired to TN.
I grew up in Manhattan, a mile and a half from the WTC.
I'm now in Northern Virginia, 257 miles away.

I used to make it home door to door in 3.75 hours.
Now, I don't go anymore.

Sad day today.
Grew up in MD suburbs of DC and now live in Northern VA, about 30 miles away. Plan to move to CO in next 2 years
20 miles
No, not even close.
My dad was career Air Force, I was born on an AF base that has been closed for some time (Myrtle Beach, SC)and my two younger brothers were born at Otis, AFB in Massachusetts in 63 & 65.
It was off to the UK for three years, the Keesler, AFB for a year, then Karamursel Turkey for three years, then Offutt AFB in Nebraska then back to Kessler, AFB in Biloxi, MS for a couple of years then he retired in 1974.

We moved to Durham, NC after he retired and I joined the Marine Corps in June 1977...so it continues.

Home is where I lay my head down at night.

In a perfect world I'll retire in south Georgia or north Florida and spend my summers and fall in the UP.

SC
1/2 mile
2 miles away by road, just a mile or less as the crow flies.
375 miles........slowly working my way west.
220 miles South. NC was great, but I have no desire to move back since I lost both parents. I'm about ready to move 10 miles and get into SC- Georgia will be a blue state within 20 years.
I still have my folks phone number.
:>)
I'm here now...74 years and 6 months!
the rest of my family lives in North East PA within 20 miles were they started 300+ years ago (late 1600's), worked moved me to the west coast 2700 miles away.

I joke with our nieces and nephews when they get to dating age telling them they need to go out of state to find someone that they are not related too. smile
35 miles...
Originally Posted by RMulhern
I'm here now...74 years and 6 months!

Same here, err, not quite as many years.
8 years ago I bought the house my grandparents built in the late 60's. Spent a majority of my childhood there roaming the woods with friends. It was always my safe place to go.

Couldn't stand the thought of driving by and seeing someone else living there.
Within 5 miles of the farm I grew up on.

maddog
© 24hourcampfire