Home
Posted By: gophergunner Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
It's been a long 24 hours here. I had the defibrillator implanted yesterday, and I'm home relaxing. Many of my friends have been in touch, lots of family too. The surprise for me, was how many friends and acquaintances of my daughter have been in touch with well wishes.

Ellie played softball for 10 years, and I've mentioned her exploits here frequently. Imagine my surprise when her old softball crowd started checking in yesterday. Girls from several different teams she played for and against. Coaches, trainers, and even a couple umpires, including the one who called a perfect game no hitter she threw up in Saint Clouud a few years ago. Her college experience wasn't a real good one, but her head coach and his entire staff have been in contact with her and me to wish us well.

It is refreshing to know there's folks out there who are willing to take the time out of their busy lives to care about others. This softball stuff just sucked us in. We still enjoy going to the games, even though Ellie's playing days are over. We've donated gear to programs she played for, and even sponsored a couple girls on inner-city teams last year who couldn't afford to play. It's nice to know there's folks out there who benefit from this sport. Both girls we helped are doing better in school this year and are still enjoying playing fastpitch. I just may dust off the cleats and go coach again next spring. Just can't get this stuff out of my blood.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Hang in there and get back in the game.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
It sounds to me like folks are simply returning kindness for that you have shown over the years. I'm glad you're home and wish you a speedy and full recovery.
All the best.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
GG, these folks know a good guy when they see one.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Sounds to me like you lived your life "right", you cared for and were kind to others.

I hope you heal fast and have good health.
Well,..glad your ticker is tickin...

Hope you get to feeling better, did you have a chance to get your football picks in...you still have an hour or so...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Glad you are home and doing well. It sounds to me like there are a lot of good folks who seem to remember the good impressions you made over the years. Somehow I am not one bit surprised.
Posted By: Teal Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Sounds to me like you lived your life "right", you cared for and were kind to others.

I hope you heal fast and have good health.

This - you're just getting what you've given others. Speaks well for you.
Posted By: pahick Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
You got some healing to do and deer to kill in PA this year! Prayers your way.
Originally Posted by pahick
You got some healing to do and deer to kill in PA this year! Prayers your way.
I just got off the phone with my brother. He's on the bench too. He's got bad knees and will probably have to have one scraped out before deer season. He won't be able to hunt, but will very likely end up shooting one from the cabin,as it's actually a good crossing. We'll prop up a rifle at each door and one at the gun port in the back wall. My son and I will make an assault on Boone Mountain for the Pa. deer opener. I think this will be the year Eric punches his first tag. It took me 10 years to fill my first tag. This is Eric's 10th year. Gotta make this happen.

As for the softball crowd, it's a pretty tight knit group. We've stayed in touch with many of these folks, but I never expected to hear from them. I don't know how they even heard about me. We were the ones who always had a girl or two riding with us to out of town tournaments. When someone broke a string on a glove, or lost a screw on a batting helmet, they came to us. We always had a bottle of water for the umps, even the ones we really didn't like. 'Guess this is just part of the circle.

Many thanks to everyone for the kind comments, guys.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
GG, these folks know a good guy when they see one.

Like Jim said, they recognize you and your family for what kind of folks you are.

Get well soon.
CT
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
WOW, Jeff... (GopherGunner)

Why didn't you let me know about your illness and a defibrillator "installation"?!? I know you have my email address, SOOOO... ???? grin

I understand you're gonna make it back to your old deer camp in Pennsylvania for the Opener this year... and I'm tickled that you're gonna do it. Unfortunately, I won't be there, but get in touch with Dale and Harry... so you guys can get together again for brunch at the Ft. Worth Restaurant in DeBois the Sunday before the Opener.

I sure wish I could be there with you guys, butttttttt... I can't. frown

Good luck... and I hope that both you and Eric get a 10-pointer !~!~!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
GG, I hope you recover fully. The visitors are a sure sign that they recognize a good guy when they see one. Of course, the guys on here knew that already.
GG-

I'm glad to hear that you are doing relatively well. Take it easy and recover quickly!

We have been sucked into the softball world here, too. Daughter started playing travel ball last year and we as parents were a little hesitant at first. It ended up being a great experience for all of us. We met some great people and had a lot of fun. Liv moved up to 12U this year, has been practicing with her new team for a play day next weekend and then two tournaments in Oct. Girls softball takes over your life! In a good way.
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
GG-

I'm glad to hear that you are doing relatively well. Take it easy and recover quickly!

We have been sucked into the softball world here, too. Daughter started playing travel ball last year and we as parents were a little hesitant at first. It ended up being a great experience for all of us. We met some great people and had a lot of fun. Liv moved up to 12U this year, has been practicing with her new team for a play day next weekend and then two tournaments in Oct. Girls softball takes over your life! In a good way.
Glad to hear you're having a good experience with 'ball. One thing I'd suggest, is to make sure the girls have plenty of water. You'd be surprised how many parents sent one bottle of water and a couple bucks with their kid for an all day tournament. We used to have one of those wheeled coolers we'd throw a case of water and some ice in and just park it outside the dugout for the girls, coaches, and umpires. It took a little nudging to get the kids to just got grab a bottle, but once everyone knew this was for anyone interested, they didn't hesitate. The umps especially appreciate it, more so when they've got 5 or 6 games to call on a hot day. Another thing we always did was take along quart size ziplock bags to make icebags when someone got hit by a ball. Way cheaper than those single-use chemical ice packs.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
For some reason I was unaware you were having this done. I pray you continue to improve as does your life. Sounds good so far. smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Jeff,

Was out of the loop that you were having medical issues... but sounds like things are getting squared away... you hang in there buddy....prayers abound for your speedy recovery and good health...
Posted By: Scotty Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Glad that the people you touched remembered you. Hoping you get better.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/13/14
Excellent. Be well.

Sometimes we forget how many good friends we have. grin
GG
You made a lot of friends because you give a rip. Reciprocity, baby.
Get well soon.
Get on the mend Brother, you have a date to keep up on Boon Mt. with a big Buck!I didnt realise This before but I Live in Boon, Boon Michigan! get well soon.
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Your consideration is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Visitors from a past life - 09/14/14
Glad to hear you're doing well. We did the softball thing about 15 years ago, we're still in touch with some of the folks even though we're a couple of hundred miles away now. Mostly the wife through Facebook but my daughter sees some of the other girls sometimes.

Hang in there buddy, opening day is coming!

Dale
glad to hear that you are on the mend.

it's great to hear that your efforts in past years haven't been forgotten.

let us know how the deer hunt plays out.

take care, keith
© 24hourcampfire