Home
Posted By: kamo_gari A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
After a painful and seemingly interminable delay, the port screw *finally* got the work it needed done. I posted a gripe about MC mechanics and their consistent failures to follow through and do the work as agreed to some time back, but am learning right quick that many marine mechs seem to be right up there in the shytbird category. Pinning my blood pressure ain't good for me, but I'll find a proper one at some point, maybe...

Still need to get some electronics wiring handled, but we finally got her hull wet in the Atlantic today. With the combined 400 horses pushing her, we cruised at 39 without breaking too much of a sweat pointed at Portugal for a brief time. Love the rig, and again, so does the lass, and that makes me a right happy chappie.

And no, STX, I left the rods at the barn. Just a shakedown/trial run. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20140917_144332_zpsu5zcwhbf.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20140917_144249_zpsookcn0ak.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20140917_153529_269_zpss1k9or6x.jpg[/img]
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Seriously cool!!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Nice! When do I get a ride?
Posted By: saddlering Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
I like it! Looks like your haveing a Good time wishing you the best of Luck with Her!
Posted By: T LEE Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Cool KG, when ya gonna bring in a big Tuna? smile smile smile
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Originally Posted by T LEE
Cool KG, when ya gonna bring in a big Tuna? smile smile smile

My buddy Pogie Mike, tuna skipper extraordinaire, one of the guys I had take the lads out a few months back for bass, got an 82" fish today in Cape Cod bay. Went just shy of 400 lbs. Helluva fisherman it takes to find, hook, fight, harpoon and land a fish of that caliber solo. Remember, when alone, on top of doing all of the above, someone has to still drive the boat... Chinese firedrill city. wink

I'm loaded with 180 gallons of fuel, and with fair seas, my electronics all set and some luck, hopefully before November.

Thanks for the words, gents.
Posted By: Teal Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Needs a harpoon gun - if just for looks....

seriously cool
Posted By: Dave588 Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Very nice
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Cool!
Originally Posted by teal
Needs a harpoon gun - if just for looks....

No doubt. I've never run a real 'poon gun, of course, and have no idea how accurate they are, but I'm guessing I could probably manage to punch a hole in one, as long as they were fairly close. Maybe like this close. From the 'if only' files. wink That humpy damn near had my pumper skipping beats when he surfaced within maybe ten feet of us.

[Linked Image]

PM owns a proper stickboat, and has skewered some, but has had more success running R and R as yet. Spotter planes ain't a cheap expenditure... The one in back is his. Working boat. It's a bit loud trying to get a decent nap in the engine room, what with the big diesel running, but with the proper skill set it can be done. Or so I am told. smile

[Linked Image]

But back to reality for a sec, I've got friends who hunt tuna, amongst other feesh, for a living. I've been fortunate enough to have been the man on the crank a number of times. It's like no other kind of fishing I've ever experienced, that's certain. Here's Mike and my boy Davey with a thousand plus pound beast from two years ago. I was asked along, but bagged it that day. Painful happiness is not just something you read about.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Hey brother say hello to Mike, Davey and Chris for me. Them guys are pure gold! As are you and your better half. Envious as can be on the boat!
Posted By: eyeball Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Thanks for the great story and pics, Kamo.
Posted By: Scotty Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Looks nice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Plymouth%20tuna%20harpoon/plymouthbday077.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Plymouth%20tuna%20harpoon/plymouthbday082.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Plymouth%20tuna%20harpoon/plymouthbday200.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Plymouth%20tuna%20harpoon/plymouthbday208.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Plymouth%20tuna%20harpoon/plymouthbday215.jpg[/img]
Originally Posted by eh76
Hey brother say hello to Mike, Davey and Chris for me. Them guys are pure gold! As are you and your better half. Envious as can be on the boat!

Will do. I've got a date next week with the lads.
She's a beaut, Skipper! smile First mate ain't bad either! wink cool

I'll bet you've been itchin' to get underway before summer is over and weather starts to become an issue. She looks plenty seaworthy and ready for adventure!

I wish you fair seas and following winds...
Thank you, friend. And guilty. Been absolutely Jonesing to get on the hunt, but as you well know, some things are not to be according to silly things like desire and wants, and won't be rushed. Better safe than sorry? GD right. The marina owner is a good shyt, and a fisherman (but I repeat myself wink ), and while most members will be getting wrapped and put on jack stands/other by early October, I've been assured that a few folks are allowed to stay wet until mid-November. I'm too new to this vessel to even think about heading out into angry, autumn New England seas, but with some luck and with Ma Nature's grace, will stick it out as long as I can, seeing about knuckling up with Mr. Thunnus thynnus, size XL. But then, I guess with tunoids it's all the same, from bonito to albacore to YF... tired whistle grin
Posted By: rattler Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
you hiring help? i need something to do laugh
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Nice thread!

At first, I thought it was going to be about the ill fated Minnow .... laugh
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Seems like most boats one sees out there are mostly just used to puddle around on weekends. OTOH I suspect your'n is gonna be worked to the max to the limits of its design specs.

Congrats cool

What's the chances of motoring that thing down here to the Gulf anyways? Is there some sort of "econo cruise mode"?

Birdwatcher
Posted By: VinceM Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Cool good luck with the rig Gary.
I think I've seen that boat ET in the Fishers Is. Race a long time ago
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Very cool, Leighton!

I do have to disagree about leaving the rods behind. Kind of like taking a rifle for a walk in the woods but leaving the ammo at home. Even if it's not hunting season, there's just something missing. grin

Bon voyages, Mon Ami!

Ed
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Congrats!

Nothing like a maiden voyage, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to wet a line.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Congratulations! I have to say I envy you. I love boats and the ocean, but it's pretty hard to consummate that love here at 5,000 feet in Nevada. grin

I once got to haul my seaworthy boats over the hill and to Bodega Bay, but gas prices put the kibosh on it, and I get seasick with my bad ears these last few years. So, I look forward to your reports and photos more and more here. Keep them coming! cool
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Sweet boat L, congrats to you and the little lady.
Posted By: fish head Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/18/14
Congrats Captain Gari !!!

I'm soo jealous.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Thanks to all for the well wishes. I hope and trust we have both the health and freedom to enjoy our watery chariot for many years to come. Already we've started making good memories on her, and as this is the vessel I caught my first tuna ever aboard her, more than a decade ago, figure the fishy karma is there too. wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
KG: I usually enjoy your posts�but this one�.taking out a boat and NOT fishing!

WTF?

wink
Posted By: 5sdad Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Leighton, once again you show that you truly know who to live life. My best wishes for many years of enjoyment with the boat. Best, John
Posted By: MadMooner Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Beautiful boat!

Congrats to you and your lady!

I gotta ask about the ET though? Looks like a custom built boat?
Posted By: hatari Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
100% cool! Enjoy!!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Looking great L. Can't wait to see the pics of your fish on the deck.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Very, very cool Leighton!
I'm certain you will put that fishing machine to proper use in the years to come.

I've spent many days fishing on the Great Lakes, and just a little in the salt in Alaska.
I'd love to try some of that Atlantic Ocean fishing someday.
Originally Posted by ingwe
KG: I usually enjoy your posts�but this one�.taking out a boat and NOT fishing!

WTF?

wink

I know, I know. Trust me, it pained me to not even try to get a fish to chew, but for a rare occasion tried to do soimething smart wink and chose to concentrate on running the boat exclusively rather than risk disaster. I had a vision of us hooking a giant bass, and me leaving the helm to tear the rod out of the lassie's hands, and not paying enough attention to the giant granite blocks running along the mouth of the mighty Merrimack. It would have been an inauspicious beginning running aground on the first outing. I think I made a smart call, and rare though it is, am OK with it. Disappointing the GP has me hanging my head in shame, though... wink

Thanks to you and all the other lads who chimed in with the congrats and support.
Posted By: ingwe Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
OK then�

Next post I expect to see massive fish, bloody decks and awesome food pics! grin
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: A Three Hour Tour... - 09/19/14
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice thread!

At first, I thought it was going to be about the ill fated Minnow .... laugh

Mary Ann was on FOX and Friends this morning...looking good..
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK then�

Next post I expect to see massive fish, bloody decks and awesome food pics! grin

I will do my very best to abide by your wishes, Mr. G. Poobs. wink

Mary Ann was always where it was at as far as the gang on the Minnow. I wouldn't have booted Ginger out of the hammock, mind, but anyone not seeing that Mary Ann was the true prize couldn't see the trees for the palm fronds and coconuts. smile
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Beautiful boat!

Congrats to you and your lady!

I gotta ask about the ET though? Looks like a custom built boat?

Not positive on the make, but looks like a Carolina style express rig to me. That's a LOT of boat.

Birdy, my rig, assuming flattish seas and a cooperative wind has an approximate range of 300 miles. I've never been out on any long distance interstate runs, and likely won't, but have friends who have.

There are more than a few guys with the sufficient bucks (read as lots) to have skippers for hire run their rigs from FL to New England and vice versa every season. Fish up here early June-September or October or thereabouts, then hire a guy to run it back down for good fishing down that way from October-May. Then back up. Some only run as far down as the Carolinas, where there is often a monster winter bite for giants.

Nice to have a few bucks, and the time to fish year round up and down the eastern seaboard, I guess. wink
© 24hourcampfire