Home
An informal poll here. Given the fact that weight is often at a premium, especially in remote country, what's your favorite way to stablize a spotting scope and eliminate wind jiggle? (I'm talking about hunting here, not the shooting from a bench). Do you just use a light tripod and deal with wind as best you can, or???

Telling me you make deflave carry your 40 lb. tripod and sand bags doesn't count as an answer, although that's a fine idea.
A light tripod is better than no tripod.
I was thinking about talking a younger skinnier guy into carrying mine on the next trip to Texas�. whistle
That could be anybody........Just kidding.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I was thinking about talking a younger skinnier guy into carrying mine on the next trip to Texas�. whistle

He ain't all that young anymore, and he's not nearly as skinny as he used to be. But he'll help you out if you let him shoot all your animals. ;-)
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
That could be anybody........Just kidding.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

He ain't all that young anymore, and he's not nearly as skinny as he used to be. But he'll help you out if you let him shoot all your animals. ;-)

Well, we are gonna be night hunting, so I don't think all that much spotting scope action will be going on...
Remember the old Leupold Pack tripods? The legs nested inside each other and you basically had one leg and the pivot ball to pack? wink
I was going to say something profound but I like the way this is trending more. VicinVa is in the lead so far.

mike r
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by eh76
Remember the old Leupold Pack tripods? The legs nested inside each other and you basically had one leg and the pivot ball to pack? wink

Never played with one of those. There's not shortage of light tripods out there... carbon fiber, etc... but what I'm looking for are any tricks guys have come with to minimize wind jiggle while using them.

Well, we are gonna be night hunting, so I don't think all that much spotting scope action will be going on...

So you're saying... you have to get your action any way you can find it?
Some tripods have a hook under the head where a guy can attach a weight to increase stability. Dirty sock full of rocks or something along those lines works well. Think field expedient.
yes
I attach weight to the center post. A nylon stuff sack filled w/ rocks or sand usually. If it is really gusting I'll use my pack. If your centerpost does not have a hook on the bottom use a prussik knot made of 550 cord. If it is blowing to hard for this seek shelter and drink.

mike r
Crap, I type really slow.

mike r
If I want to go light I take a light spotter (straight 20X Leupold) and a light tripod.

If I need a heavy duty spotter I take a heavy duty tripod. Anchoring with rocks and schit can help, but it's not the same IMO.

Eat some fuggin' tuna and grab the Manfroto.

Travis
but what I'm looking for are any tricks guys have come with to minimize wind jiggle while using them.

Set up out of the wind. Should be possible in most places, barring North Dakota.

grin
A good tripod is worth a lot. A schitty tripod ain't worth a thing. Learned that the hard way after destroying one cheapo and pitching another because it was such a wobbly POS.

Bought a manfrotto. Happiness ensued, and there was much rejoicing.
[video:youtube]enSYlCEz5VI[/video]
Im going to use a trigger stick tall this fall

Picture taken off Google but I am using the same idea with a used 10/22 stock. About any wood stock should work.

[Linked Image]

I just discovered they sell these.
I paid five bucks for a used take off stock years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Stedi-Stock-Shoulder-Stabilizer-Spotting/dp/B0014007YE
Originally Posted by Calhoun
but what I'm looking for are any tricks guys have come with to minimize wind jiggle while using them.

Set up out of the wind. Should be possible in most places, barring North Dakota.

grin

Never been to Rock Springs, Wyoming, have ya? laugh
Not much a guy can do in strong wind. I couldn't read a guy's license plate dumping a pickup full of trash once from under a 1/4 mile for the wind, using a good window mount.
He didn't know I couldn't, and you shoulda seen him get that rope tied back and fly outta there. We tried to catch him and couldn't come close. He had a Ford V8 and I was in Toyota 4 banger.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Calhoun

grin

Never been to Rock Springs, Wyoming, have ya? laugh

Corrected....
Originally Posted by 700LH

Picture taken off Google but I am using the same idea with a used 10/22 stock. About any wood stock should work.

[Linked Image]

I just discovered they sell these.
I paid five bucks for a used take off stock years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Stedi-Stock-Shoulder-Stabilizer-Spotting/dp/B0014007YE

Isn't it a biotch hauling around that bale of hay?
My tricks for spotting scopes?

Well, my most successful one so far is to first find a rifle, and then look right above the receiver.

But if I catch you using that one, now, I want some credit.
I use an onion bag and put in as many rocks as I need.

If you hunt with Ingwe, make him get new rocks each setup.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Some tripods have a hook under the head where a guy can attach a weight to increase stability. Dirty sock full of rocks or something along those lines works well. Think field expedient.

Exactly what I do. I have a small net laundry bag that you can put some rocks in, and attach to the hook. Works like a champ.
© 24hourcampfire