Home
Posted By: The_Yetti "not if but when" - 09/20/14
They always say that about motorcycle wrecks, that it's not if you wreck, but when you wreck. Mine came yesterday on highway 67 here in Colorado.Came into a corner a little too fast, hit a guard rail and then high sided. 2 broken tibula, 2 broken fibula, so yes broken legs. My hunting plans for the year are off, but that's life. By the look of my helmet, I'm glad I wore it or I wouldn't be typing this!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad you survived. What kind of bike were you riding?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's where I ended up in the far side ditch

[Linked Image]
Right beneath a memorial stone set up for a young lady who died at that same spot two years earlier.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Tough break. I hope you heal up well.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
yipes!! Glad you were not hurt worse. Guess we will see more of you on the 'fire for a bit. smile
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad you are alive! Hopes for speedy recovery!
Posted By: g5m Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Best wishes for quick recovery.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Yetti, don't take much to put "down" a bike. That being said I could never stop riding. Hope a speedy and full recovery!
Posted By: T LEE Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad you survived Sir, when ya wreck on a bike your body takes ALL the punishment. BTDT more than once.

Here is praying you heal up and hair over fast without complications.
Posted By: Seafire Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad it wasn't worse Brent...

here's hoping for a speedy recovery, and glad you came out okay minus those leg issues...

I gave up riding motorcycles back in 2000, after having an accident, where I got hit by several deer that had been spooked in the brush by something... coyote was what I figured...

but my 6 year old son was worried in the after math, so I gave it up and sold the bike after it was repaired...
Posted By: ingwe Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
eek

I rode bikes for 11 years and almost-not quite- had mine. Figured the law of probability was stacking up and quit before I got hurt�

Hope you mend well!
Posted By: MColeman Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
I, too, rode bikes for many years and had one extremely close call when a car pulled out in front of me. I finally gave them up but every once in a while I'll get the urge but it soon passes. I pray you heal well and wish you all the best. I love motor sickles. smile
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad you lived to tell the tale...

Wishes for a quick recovery.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Damn, glad you survived the ride bud. I've had 2 bike accidents ,neither one was very severe. I gave up riding after the 2nd accident when my oldest was 2 (1992), I figured he deserved to have a dad growing up. I started riding again in 2007 had a close call with a little old lady got rid of the bike and got a quad, now if something happens it'll be my fault.

I do miss riding the open road but I enjoy the quad a whole lot more.
Posted By: Scotty Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Glad to hear that you survived. Those legs should be healed up in time to go out next year.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Wow, bad deal, but glad for you it's not worse. I almost met mine when a dumptruck entered the road slowly on a blind corner and I squeaked between it and a motorhome on the dotted line, going about 50. Scares the beejeezus out of you when you suddenly realize it is not always under your control whether you wreck or not.
Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: "not if but when" - 09/20/14
Quit too after a couple of close ones. Then in my late 30's for a few years got to thinking of getting back into it. Thing was that every time I got serious about it would come up on a fatal on I25. Last one was the worst as it happened right beside me on the opposite direction. Quit thinking of riding after that and haven't seen a crash since. Coincidence? Yeah, but...
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
I haven't hardly thrown a leg over one since my NY trip four (??) years back. No fear of injury really, just that after a whole decade of motorcycles as my only wheels its like been there, done that for me now.

Bicycles have my attention at present.

Only went down hard once, no helmet, literally walked away without a scratch. I do know that anytime I threw a leg over one that coulda been THE ride where it all came crashing down.

The son of a distinguished older gent in our muzzleloading club recently went down hard on his Goldwing; several broken ribs among other injuries. And that guy had been riding accident-free for at least thirty years.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Birdwatcher

Posted By: The_Yetti Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I haven't hardly thrown a leg over one since my NY trip four (??) years back. No fear of injury really, just that after a whole decade of motorcycles as my only wheels its like been there, done that for me now.

Bicycles have my attention at present.

Only went down hard once, no helmet, literally walked away without a scratch. I do know that anytime I threw a leg over one that coulda been THE ride where it all came crashing down.

The son of a distinguished older gent in our muzzleloading club recently went down hard on his Goldwing; several broken ribs among other injuries. And that guy had been riding accident-free for at least thirty years.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Birdwatcher

You mentioned bicycles, when they were doing the assessment, they kept asking about some roadrash on my right shoulder which is from brushing up against a boulder last week on a trail
Posted By: rattler Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
after visiting with AussieLad and seeing the x-rays while down there he helped me confirm im staying off bikes.....he has enough metal in his left knee to build a gun crazy
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
You mentioned bicycles, when they were doing the assessment, they kept asking about some roadrash on my right shoulder which is from brushing up against a boulder last week on a trail

Ya, bicycles are differently dangerous than motorcycles. Even so most times I don't wear a helmet on the road. I'm often commuting home after dark and some places I ride through, a helmet just spells V-I-C-T-I-M as in "clearly you ain't from around here.".

Wouldn't dream of mountain biking without a helmet tho.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: AussieLad Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
Youch! Glad you're keeping your chin up. Dropped mine in 2012. As Rattler said, now carrying around a fair chunk of stainless in my left leg. Hope you heal up quickly. Interested to hear how they treat your leg breaks. What kind of fractures are you dealing with?
Posted By: Azshooter Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
First off I hope you mend quickly with no lasting issues.

I used to ride. Absolutely loved the kind of performance you can get from a street bike. After 70,000 miles, including two cross country trips, decided to quit. Knew that it was just a matter of time before a serious get off would change my life.

I was a vocational teacher. As part of my safety lessons I talked about motorcycles. I shared a very graffic story of my 60 mph slide off the interstate and across a rough gravel breakdown lane with lots of road rash. Was lucky could have tumbled to a stop.

I read Cycle magazine's editorial on crashing to all my classes. The best line in the article was: "Everyone I know who has spent any time on a motorcycle has crashed."

It is a personal choice. When I was married I quit. IMO too risky an activity when you have loved ones.

Posted By: MichiganScott Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
I sold my bike last summer and my wife just sold hers. 60 years of riding between the two of us and three totalled bikes. We've always been gear Nazi's and never rode (at least after I got out of my teens) without a full set of leathers or textiles. It still hurts, but at least we got to walk away.

Sorry to hear about your hunting season, but at least there is next year.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
Better your legs than your back. Hope you heal up soon. I have been riding since the 3rd grade. When I was in high school a car come over a blind hill in a curve and t boned me and my girl friend. We were going about 30 mph and the car was probably going slower. It knocked us both off the bike and we only had bruises and scratches. I have 2 sons now and I told a guy about 3 days ago that wanted to buy my streetbike that I would sale it to him, but ain't no way im selling my dirtbike. Besides with the money from my bike I'm gonna buy a Mokai kayak for river fishing. there is just to much traffic where I live to ride and not eventually eat it cause some idiot texting.

Glad to here your ok, I pray you recover fast and fully.
Posted By: noKnees Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
I layed mine over going maybe 5-10mph. Somebody pulled out in front of me and I avoided him but hit a big rock that put me over.

both bones in the forearm, collar bone and a blow to the helmet (which very likely would have been fatal without the helmet).

It didn't take much to exprapolate what the forces of a 60mph crash could do to someone. I rode for about another year, but never felt that comfortable and gave it up.
Posted By: 79S Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
[bleep] I'm glad your ok buddy I guess we won't see at work for awhile. Let me know if you need help with anything.
Posted By: NathanL Re: "not if but when" - 09/21/14
Could have been much worse I guess.

Last weekend a guy riding near here had a limb fall on him and killed him and injured his brother who was riding behind him. For all the talk about motorcycles beeing dangerous and to die to falling limb/tree while riding.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: "not if but when" - 09/22/14
Have a friend who has had a string of bad luck including a motorcycle accident, totaled truck and cancer. Trying to talk him into getting one of these:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: "not if but when" - 09/22/14
Been down at 55 mph. 70 years old--still have my Harley.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: "not if but when" - 09/22/14
Happy to hear you made it... when you get old you'll be able to predict the weather...and be able to tell a cool story.

Better to have ridden and wrecked , than never to have ridden at all.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: "not if but when" - 09/22/14
Looks like I may be in the hospital for a while longer. If anyone is in the Colorado Springs area and wants to stop by, pm me for my room number, I'll gladly take more company!
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: "not if but when" - 09/23/14
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
They always say that about motorcycle wrecks, that it's not if you wreck, but when you wreck.

Yeah. An insurance agent who wrote only motorcycle policies told me the same thing.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: "not if but when" - 09/23/14
Good God! Bilateral tib-fib fracture.
You ought to buy 100 lottery tickets, you are the luckiest man in the state; in that; you are still breathing air.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14
Sounds like I'll be headed home, so keep your fingers crossed! Finally some real internet where anything "weapon" related website isn't blocked. At least the campfire is open!
Posted By: Sheister Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14
Hope you heal up fast and sound. BTDT but without any real broken bones- lots of things that feel worse when the weather is changing, though from laying down a couple bikes in similar circumstances.

Had to give up riding motos when I realized I just don't have enough self control for it. Every fast bike I got on, I just HAD to find out how fast it was and how it would handle. Last time I rode, I was flying down a country two lane and a car pulled out in front of me. I had plenty of room to pass, so flew by him and even gave it a little more for good measure as he was accelerating his 370Z hard to get out of my way. When I looked down at my speedo, I was going a tick over 125 and still in 4th gear with 2 more to go. Luck was with me that day but probably the last time so I gave it up. I don't think my kids realized how foolish I was when I was younger.

Still love fast cars and just finishing building my hotrod AC Cobra, but don't like to tempt fate anymore at 61.

Get some subscriptions to magazines- you'll be reading lots of them to kill the time.

Bob
Posted By: deflave Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Have a friend who has had a string of bad luck including a motorcycle accident, totaled truck and cancer. Trying to talk him into getting one of these:

[Linked Image]

Get him a nice purse to go with it.

Travis
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14

Bike Week Daytona Beach a good few years ago, I found TWO vendors of orthopedic braces, canes and wheelchairs at the convention center amidst all the other motorcycle gear and accessories.

I went up to one of the booths and asked the guy, "How's business?" He said, "It's great!"
Posted By: ltppowell Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Ya, bicycles are differently dangerous than motorcycles. Even so most times I don't wear a helmet on the road. I'm often commuting home after dark and some places I ride through, a helmet just spells V-I-C-T-I-M as in "clearly you ain't from around here.".

Wouldn't dream of mountain biking without a helmet tho.

Birdwatcher

I got knocked off my (mountain)bike by a Mastiff last week. I was riding before daylight to the track, when it came at me in the dark. I shouted "no" and it swerved at the last second, hitting my rear wheel. Of course, I crashed. At least it didn't bite me too. You just never know what's gonna come at you. Glad the OP is still with us.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: "not if but when" - 09/24/14

I've been hit from behind at traffic lights on a couple of occasions.

Had I been on a bike, I would have been toast. Both times.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: "not if but when" - 09/25/14
Made it home a little while ago, before heading into the house I had to check out the damage, really not to bad at all. Of course modifications may be deemed "necessary" to get the bike proper. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: "not if but when" - 09/25/14
I'm afraid you look much worse than the bike. Ouch!

Heal!
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: "not if but when" - 09/25/14

The t-shirt is a nice touch.

Originally Posted by The_Yetti
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mark shubert Re: "not if but when" - 09/25/14
Glad to see you're looking at the grass, and not the roots!
NOT sucking O2 sucks!
Get well, and be careful.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: "not if but when" - 10/24/14
Had my 1 month check up yesterday with xrays, everything is haling well. 1st month in November I'll have a CT scan, and hopefully after that I'll be getting back on my feet. Will be quite a while before I'm back to where I was.
© 24hourcampfire