Home
Posted By: Rug3 HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
This October 3 - I will be turning 75! I would like to buy my first handgun as a birthday gift for myself.

This old body has become a little....umm.. frumpy. 5'7" short, and 170lbs.
I want something that is easily concealable.
No wide, thick frame. Wheel gun MAY be too thick for what I want.
Probably small, light, and good trigger will draw my attention.
Probably 9mm
What model, manufacturer? I know this may develop a Ford vs Chevy thing but I still would like to hear your thoughts.

Where, on the body, do I wear it?
Holster?

What do I need to know?

Been hunting since 1947, reloading about 30 years, all rifle and shotgun so I have a few years of firearm familiarity.

Suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks
Jim

Kel tec or Ruger 9mm compact.

Springfield xds
Sig 239

Smith & Wesson J Frame 38 special

Makarov 9x18

Appendix carry or strong side carry 3 to 430 for carry. Galco summer comfort and a good belt or something like a crossbreed style holster may work for you?
How is your hand strength? My first thought, thought I have the KelTec, the XD-S and a Kahr CW-9, all three need good hand strength to cycle. The XD-S is my favorite of the three, but it's also the one that causes people the greatest difficulty with reliability, due primarily to very thin and abbreviated grips and stiff springs.

If you want a Revolver, any of the Smith or Rugers will be perfect.

If you want a semi-auto, my thought would be the Kahr CW-9. Reliable as all get-out, accurate to the nth degree, and reasonably easy to cycle. Also, it's normally under $400 and if you factor in cost, only the KelTec is cheaper and I doubt the KelTec's longevity and spotty quality control.

Kahr, CW-9 or CW-45. My top picks
Posted By: GeoW Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
Ruger LC9s or S&W Shield
first learn how to shoot a hand gun, then decide what you want.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
I'm your age and about the same size, except I got down to 155. I went with a Glock G19 and S&W 642. I'm left handed and have an issue with my arm and shoulder such that I can't do a normal strong side draw. I carry the G19 in a DeSantis Sky Cop, and the 642 in a DeSantis L-GAT, both for an appendix carry and cross draw.

Works OK for me.

Paul
An all-steel J-Frame (S&W) .38 Special with some over-sized aftermarket grips of your choice. Best loads for short barrel .38 Specials come from Buffalo Bore and Speer's Gold Dot line.
Originally Posted by smithwr
Springfield xds

This!
Posted By: ronc Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
If a 9 is your choice you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or H&K VP9.
If you want a 9 I'd go with a Ruger SR9c or an M&P 9c. If you are willing to go with a revolver I'd strongly look at a Ruger LCR it's available in 38+P and also 357 Mag. It's a handful in the mag but not punishing.
Posted By: Tracks Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
I'm a couple of years younger, a bit taller and about ten pounds heavier.
I won't claim what I use would be best for you but it works for me.
Sig P45 carried with a Brigade Gunleather IWB just over my right kidney
6 plus 1 of 45 acp
A long golf shirt hides it pretty well.
Posted By: 16bore Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
Since it's your first, why not a 22LR and have some fun?
Posted By: okok Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
Tough to beat a Kahr P9.
s&w airweight in a revolver 38sp is a perfect lightweight carry gun. the kahr 9 is nice . glock 26 or 27 are very nice.cheaper stuff,taurus slim 9 or 40 carry really well
Absolutely LOVE my Ruger SR9c. Great trigger, accurate and conceals well. I carry mine in a Blackhawk IWB CQC leather holster (actually made for the Springfield XD sub but fits the Ruger perfectly).

I will put on some Meprolites here soon. I also love the fact it comes with the ten rd mag for conceal ability plus another 17 rd to keep in your pocket. Pretty inexpensive, as well. I thnk I paid $420, IIRC.

While choosing a handgun is subjective, I would certainly try to check out the Ruger if you can.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of it next to my buddy's Kahr. The trigger was FAR better on my Ruger, it held more rounds, was a bit wider and heavier and fit my hand much better (I have larger than average paws). I liked the sights on my Ruger far more, as well.

[Linked Image]
Another vote for the Ruger SR9-C

Bought one for my 74 year old Mother, as she could no longer pull the slide back on her Glock 19 due to arthritis in her hands.
She has no problem racking the slide on the Ruger SR9-C and she also likes the manuel saftey on the Ruger.
It has been very accurate and uber reliable.
Here's a quick IPad shot of the SR9c in its holster to give you an idea...

[Linked Image]
1911... Preferably Colt.
Posted By: jnyork Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
If there are any commercial ranges in your area, you could drop in, rent a few and try them out, see how you like them.
Posted By: EWY Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/20/14
My free advice, so take it for what it's worth.
Seek a good trainer that teaches NRA basic pistol. When you find the right person to train you, talk to that person. Your trainer may have various handguns that you can try or recommend a range with rental guns. Pass NRA basic pistol with range time even if you have to shoot a borrowed gun (trainer's). Then you will be better able to make the decision on your first handgun.
Handguns are like potato chips. You can't just have one. Get one and you'll have to have another.

Ernie
Posted By: Rug3 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
Originally Posted by EWY
My free advice, so take it for what it's worth

Advice is what I'm seeking and appreciate every bit offered here. It's well meaning and valuable to me. Opinions, facts, wisdom all carefully read, deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
An all-steel J-Frame (S&W) .38 Special with some over-sized aftermarket grips of your choice. Best loads for short barrel .38 Specials come from Buffalo Bore and Speer's Gold Dot line.

This is good advice for anyone buying their first handgun.
Originally Posted by jnyork
If there are any commercial ranges in your area, you could drop in, rent a few and try them out, see how you like them.

this or something like it if yah have friends that are handgun nuts....handguns, especially the smallers ones for CC are really variable in what feels good in the hand from one person to the next....personally i like the S&W Shield in 9mm, but im sure there are plenty that dont like how it feels....
Posted By: T LEE Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
Colt .380 Mustang

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-nitron.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-blackwood.aspx

I have the no longer produced Colt Government 380 which has a bit longer slide and the Sig Blackwood is on my soon to buy list. YMMV

All are very easy to chamber from the magazine and triggers very nice. I also have a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 for real "hide em out" times. Have Don Hume IWB holsters for the 1911 style pistols.
Give serious consideration to a Glock 19. Try one out and see if you can live with the trigger. If possible get at least a couple hundred rounds through it.

If G19 trigger doesn't work for you, a 1911 Commander is probably more your cup of tea.
Originally Posted by Rug3
Originally Posted by EWY
My free advice, so take it for what it's worth

Advice is what I'm seeking and appreciate every bit offered here. It's well meaning and valuable to me. Opinions, facts, wisdom all carefully read, deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

I have had the Kahr CW-40, Smith and Wesson 357 mag, Colt 38 special, and now the Kel Tec PF-9 for CC. The main reason I like the PF-9 the best is the ability to conceal it and how light it is. I've never thought it was difficult to handle or had much recoil, but there are many handguns I have not shot. I'm considering the Ruger LCR because it can shoot 38 and 357. In addition, it has a cylinder that is flat [for lack of better word] on one side that makes it a bit easier to conceal than the typical revolver. ...or at least, for me. We got my dad [73 years old] a revolver because he is not a real gun guy and we didn't want him to have to deal with a slide when he is confronted with a bear in the mountains [where he has a cabin]. We took him out recently to shoot so he could practice with his 22 revolver before handling a more powerful revolver. ..I believe it was a 44 magnum. He carries his gun out in the open.
My everyday carry is a Glock 19 carried in a outside the belt pancake holster. It conceals easily with an untucked shirt. It's amazing how handy it is to have a pistol that you are comfortable with on you all the time. Yesterday afternoon I dispatched a porcuplne on my property with it and if I had to run and get a rifle I'm sure I'd have never got the porcupine.
Didn't relase was a popular website in nursing homes. STX gave good advice on the first page
Probably 9mm

I said 1911 earlier but if you want to go 9mm, John Browning is still your man. A Browning Hi-Power is a damn fine weapon.
That it is...although a bit larger than many.

Rockchucker sure has a sweeet one!
I will be turning [b]75!

Trying to catch up with ingwe?

Personally, I think you should be asking the grandkids what they prefer to inherit........ grin
Not exactly what you mentioned but take a look at the S&W Airweight .38
Also,If you haven't shot pistols much I don't know that you will like
the triggers unless you get a double action revolver. The auto and single actions just take some practice and getting use to. JMO
Posted By: P_Weed Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
I have a Berretta Tomcat, 32 ACP pistol which is accurate and fun (comfortable) to shoot and carry. I also have a somewhat more powerful S&W 432-PD, Airweight, 32 H&R MAG, Snub-Nose Revolver - which also shoots and carries nicely.

The Beretta Tomcat has a tip-up barrel feature which enables the shooter to load or un-load a chambered round without having to manipulate the slide.

A couple older friends (my age) both bought Ruger LCP 380 pistols - and both do not like shooting them. Recoil.

There are a lot of good quality / performance Sub-Compact 9MM Pistols out there that are well suited for your carry needs and desires. Go out and look at several handguns, and shoot them if possible . . . But just by physically holding a handgun in your own hand - may just better tell you which handgun is the right one for YOU - than can a friend, gun salesman, or even Campfire expert -
- IT FEELS RIGHT!

In a 9MM Sub-Compact Pistol, I would choose a Beretta Nano or a Ruger SR-9C.
And that is just a personal preference.

one thing a gun show remains useful for. Typical they have a seller or two that has a large number of pistol models. You can handle each, determine which feels best in your hand, weights the right amount and fits in holsters at your waist and where you find that most comfortable.

You can try out lighter guns as others have noted.

Also you can try out on belt, in waist, in pocket etc.

If this is for in the woods, then having shoulder holster under a vest, etc might be a good holster or a back up under a jacket in cooler weather.
Go to a shop or show, handle many. You will hopefully pick one up and it will feel like a great fit to your hand, it'll just feel right. Then go to a range and see if you can rent that one, or find someone who has one that you can shoot. Get a couple hundred rounds or so and put it through it's paces. With some luck, the one that feels really good in your hands will point well and impact to point of aim naturally for you. Then worry about finding the right holster for your purposes.
I have a Khar PM9, it fits nice in a front pocket. It got some of the most consistent reviews out of all the pocket 9's. Real close to the size of the Ruger pocket nine, but sure felt a lot more solid. The Ruger would have saved me a lot of money, but I just like the way the Kahr felt in hand, felt feel solid.

[Linked Image]

I have tried all the striker fired 9mm's and settled on the Kahr Mk9 as my personal carry gun. Kahr has by far the best trigger pull of any DA pistol I have shot and I think by this time I have literally owned and shot them all. My favorite for years was an H&K P7 but arthritis in my thumbs has stopped me from using it due to inability to squeeze cock it. I also have a Kahr CW-9 that is my second choice although slightly larger than the MK9 it is lighter due to the frame material.
If you like metal rather than plastic in a slim package, the Ruger SP 101 in 357 is nice. 5 shot revolver, shoot 38's or magnums. I stick with 110's in the magnum to keep shooting fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shag Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
[quote=Rug3]
Probably small, light, and good trigger will draw my attention.
Probably 9mm

Suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks
Jim[/quote

SCCY, Guaranteed for life. No questions asked. 9mm 10 in the mag 1 in the chamber. Love mine..

http://www.sccy.com/products/cpx-2-cb-9mm
Posted By: Rug3 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
Men, you are being far more helpful than you could realize.
Thanks!

Double Action or SA? Your choice?

When I see trigger pull of 6-9 pounds I tend to turn away.
I know that is because I want all my rifles including turkey shotgun at 2.5 pounds and have spent many an hour getting them there.
A handgun is an entirely different tool so adjusting to an entirely different pull is necessitated.

Thanks
Jim
I take it this is for concealed carry.

Concealed carry rigs are carried way more than they are shot, typically. Personally, I'd go with either a J frame S&W with an inside the waist band holster.

If you want a 9 mm, pretty hard to beat one of the Rugers or even a small Glock. Don't worry about the trigger pull being a little on the heavy side -- you won't be shooting for 1" groupe at 100 yards. My last uniform pistol was a Sigarms P229 DAO in 40 S&W. Because it was DAO, the pull never changed. It was about 10 pounds, but s-m-o-o-t-h as oiled glass. It even got better after the first couple thousand rounds, and it was scary accurate -- 8" 12 shot group at 100 yards with the 3.875" bbl.

Trigger pull is a learned activity.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
FWIW, I had a Ruger SR9c for awhile, never could warm up to it, so went back to a G19.

Point being that there is no good substitute for handling various guns, and better yet actually shooting them. Research is OK, even necessary, but mostly to learn about technical and functional issues. Comes down to personal preference.

Shootist is right, a defense handgun's trigger is not the same as a target pistol, let alone a rifle.

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
FWIW, I had a Ruger SR9c for awhile, never could warm up to it ...
I've no interest in any handgun with a thumb safety unless it's a straight-up single action auto.
Might have a look into a Sig 938. Picked one up a few months ago, and am very happy with it. Seems it might fit your needs.
Might have a look into a Sig 938. Picked one up a few months ago, and am very happy with it. Seems it might fit your needs.
Posted By: 4ager Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
Originally Posted by stxhunter
first learn how to shoot a hand gun, then decide what you want.

Best suggestion possible, regardless of age.
Posted By: Mink Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
Browning HP
Posted By: jimmyp Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/21/14
I have no earthly idea what you mean by small. I like my Kahr PM9 it is real small. If I could own one pistol and one pistol only it would be a Glock 19. I don't care for Keltec, I am sure Ruger, Smith are good. I only buy "toys" when I am going to play with them on the range. In my worthless "opinion" for a basic do it all pistol, the only thing that beats a G19 is a Colt 6920/aimpoint/surefire/30 rounds of 62 grain softpoints.
This is a subject with about as many answers to it as there are responders. It's a highly subjective one with many aspects to it. You should ideally ask yourself, what is it's primary purpose? What might be a secondary use? How will I carry it? And where?

In reference to these questions, one must make many compromises in regard to type (SA, revolver), power, weight, comfort, and cost.

I finally (at least for now cry) have settled on an all steel S&W J-frame 3" 357 to be carried in a IWB holster for a right hander. I'm a lefty. But carried IWB in the small of my back, the grip is pointed to the left and works for me.

I can shoot 38 Specials, + P, and 357s as I desire.

This is not THE answer but it is ONE answer. grin
Posted By: Rug3 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/23/14
Part of the reasons I began this thread is that I knew you men would have experiences, views, perspectives, thoughts, ideas, and opinions that I would not.

You have proven that correct. Your input absolutely helps. Appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Jim,
I'm curious to know what you decide on. I'm strongly considering a change for my carry gun. It's been interesting to read everyone's responses. Thanks for your thread. ~ Sherri
S&W Shield !
Another vote for a Ruger LC9s. Well made, nicely improved trigger over the LC9, and easier to conceal that a Glock 19.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 09/23/14
These two fit the bill:

[Linked Image]

Springfield XDs 9

[Linked Image]

Taurus PT109 Slim
There are many reasonable choices. Try some different guns and see what feels good. It's best if you can actually shoot the guns because shooting is quite different than just holding a gun in the store. I mostly carry a Glock 19 in a Rosen OWB holster and sometimes a S&W 442 in a pocket holster. I shoot Glock's in competition regularly so handling them is pretty instinctual for me.

Glocks are extremely reliable and have a low bore axis (reduces muzzle flip) that makes them a favorite of action shooters. And of course there are more cops carrying Glocks than anything else. The new Gen 4's have better ergonomics for different hand sizes. That said, there are many good compact polymer 9mm pistols. I feel better armed with the Glock, but the J frame is very easy to carry and very reliable. Carries great in the back pocket of my 5.11 shorts. I don't have as much confidence in the really small pocket pistols even though I have a couple.
I've owned most of 'em and had to carry them professionally for over thirty years. My two favorites are my Glock 23 and a stainless 1911 (All 1911's are pretty much all the same.).

Edited to add...I don't really like handguns much. I'm a long gun guy.
I stole my wifes Sig 938 and LOVE it! Very easy to conceal, 1911 styling and function. What's not to love?

Get top quality 124's and you'll be all set except for many boxes of practice ammo!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/06/15
Haven't made a purchase yet but am looking seriously at a Ruger SR9c.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/06/15
Good choice.
Originally Posted by Mink
Browning HP

That
Posted By: P_Weed Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/06/15
Better choice.
Posted By: poboy Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/06/15
I like a Hi-Power.
Posted By: G23 Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/07/15
I just purchased a Sig P290RS. Only shot it about 25 rounds but like it so far. It's small enough I think you could carry it in your pocket without anyone noticing.
Haven't made a purchase yet but am looking seriously at a Ruger SR9c.

I say good choice. I have had one for about six months and haven't found anything about it that I dislike. It conceals easily, has a good trigger, thumb operated safety, striker fired and the rear sight is adjustable for windage. It is not a substitute for a target pistol but is accurate enough for any self defense range that you might find yourself in. I have put over two hundred rounds thru it with no malfunctions of any kind. Definitely would be my choice if I were doing it again.

Oh, not that it makes any diference but I am eighty, stand about 5'8" and weigh usually around 150. This gun is just my size!

And 9mm's have been known to maim and kill people. Just ask Trayvon. (ha)
Posted By: RickyD Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/07/15
I bought my 21 year old daughter a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 45 ACP. She shoots it plenty good enough to protect herself and end any issue that requires it. I didn't want to go smaller in caliber as I believe a 45 to be a superior fight stopper than a smaller bore, and don't believe the recoil is more difficult to handle than a smaller caliber, most of which have more muzzle flip. At 10-12 yards she was hitting a paper plate sized group but thought it needed sighted in better. I took it and put 5 in a quarter sized hole dead center, handed it back and told her it just needed more shooting, by her. I worked up loads for it and knew how the gun shot. A friend of her and her husband, liked it enough to buy one of his own. I think it would be a goodcarry gun for you or anyone.
Posted By: jbmi Re: HELP! I'm buying a handgun. - 03/07/15
I turned 70 last year, always carried a Ruger LCP even though I hated the trigger pull and it was just a bit to small for my big hands.
About 3 months ago I was at my LGS and they showed me this Sig.232
Feel was about 10 times better than the Ruger, trigger pull on the S/DA was great and the darn thing actually had sights.
Maybe 10% bigger than the rugger but thin, clean lines make it easy to carry. It's in 380, but then another name for a 380 is a 9mm Short, so here's your 9mm, and you have to go a long way to find the quality of a Sig.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire