Home
Posted By: jnyork .22 ammo bubble about to burst? - 09/21/14
Maybe not bursting yet, but cracking a little. The madness appears to be on the wane over at Gunbroker, sellers still listing at scalper prices, but almost nobody buying, most are "no sale". Hope they choke on it. smirk
I have not seen any 22lr in over a year.
I was able to buy some for the first time tonight locally in 2 years. Its not like I was desperately searching for it, but whenever I'd walk by the ammo counter at various stores I'd look.

Tonight was the first time I've seen it just sitting out, still have guys show up on the morning it arrives but they at least set some back and sell it thru-out the week to people.
A local hardware store had some in stock yesterday but I'm not paying a dime a round.
I paid 6 cents a round for it. I'm good with that.
Once the back orders are filled for Brownells and Midway etc. we will start seeing more in the stores. So long as nothing renews the panic, we are 6-9 months from being able to walk into a reasonable number of store and see .22 lr on the shelves.
I was in Cabelas yesterday and there was hundreds of boxes of 22LR on the shelf and a pallet in the aisle. No panic buying, people walking buy and not buying.
Last week the local Gander Mountain was advertising .22LR for $2.29 for a box of 50. Limit five to a customer.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Last week the local Gander Mountain was advertising .22LR for $2.29 for a box of 50. Limit five to a customer.

Did they have any? Gander has pulled that one on me before.
Midway had 22lr for sale in their latest flyer.

Cabela in WV had it on the shelves yesterday, and it wasn't going like it used to, where everyone walking past took the limit. A lot looked and didn't take any. Price was about 5 to 7 cents a round. Talked to the guys in the gun room and they indicated it is getting better, more coming in and lasting longer
I was able to pick up 1. 525 round box of WW HP's Friday at Academy for $22.95

First brick I've bought or seen in over a year.
The panic buying will ramp back up as we near the next election and if we get another demorat expect the shortage to last indefinitely. If you need it get it while you can.
Wally Mart had two boxes of Remington subsonics on the shelf yesterday. Been a long time since I have seen any on the shelf.
About time the scalpers and hoarders got tired of their game and moved on to something else, hopefully not shooting related. I've had enough, first it was powder and primer prices thru the roof and little or none to be had and for the last few years .22 prices and availability being manipulated by the greedy dogs.
I went to an aptly named "Dick's" store about a month ago, and was able to buy 2 325ct. boxes of Federal Auto Match for $20 apiece, which isn't too awful a price.
This stuff wasn't on the shelf, but I asked about something "other than Remington Golden" and he said he had a lot of this stuff in the back room.
He also mentioned that he'd had considerable quantities of CCI Mini Mags lately, too.
They DID have enough Remington Thunderdolt gift packs to put on the shelf, but I ain't buyin' that crap.
I haven't looked for it much in the last several months.

Didn't have much trouble finding it when I was though. Granted, it wasn't on every shelf, but plenty to be had at reasonable prices.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Maybe not bursting yet, but cracking a little. The madness appears to be on the wane over at Gunbroker, sellers still listing at scalper prices, but almost nobody buying, most are "no sale". Hope they choke on it. smirk

I hope every last one chokes on it. Scalpers and hoarders alike. They are the reason we haven't seen any on the shelves. Now they are up to their eyeballs in 22lr, slowing down on their tinfoil purchasing and guys like us refuse to pay scalpers prices. I just bought a brick of 22lr today as a matter of fact. It will be on the shelves again, guaranteed..
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The panic buying will ramp back up as we near the next election and if we get another demorat expect the shortage to last indefinitely. If you need it get it while you can.

BS. It's tinfoil hat ideas like this that cause mass hysteria and panic buying. You are probably sitting on over 20,000 rounds of 22lr and still stirring the pot..
Yeah, we all know the shortage is because of all the new shooters crazy
A Big5 close to me had triple 5s for $70! While right across the same parking lot, Walmart had them for $39. Which is still too high

The local shop has them for $27. And has for over a year. Counter dude told me that they've always sold tons of .22 . More than the other shops because of location. When the crunch hit, they were out for a while but had kept paying for them to stay on the back ordered list. When deliveries started again, they ended up with way more than normal. And paid mostly normal prices. So no need to raise the price. Pretty cool.
I just bought a brick of SK Hollow Point Subsonic for nearly $100 shipped. That's a lot for 500 rounds but it shoots .25 or less in a couple of my rifles for 5 shot 50 yard groups.
I've noticed both Bass Pro and Cabelas stocking ammo in the middle of weekend afternoons, so employed people could actually buy it smirk
couple of weeks back, I visited three different Bass Pro shops in the South Florida area. None had any .22 LR in stock
This past week, I visited Dicks, Cabellas, and two LGS locations. None had any .22 LR in stock
An acquaintance just paid $90 a brick x3. At least he admitted he was getting screwed. He wanted it and didn't want to be patient or do any legwork. so he paid it.

And THAT, boys and girls, is the person fueling this craziness.
I have been seeing it at our local Cascade ranch and home store pretty often. Left it all there for others to buy as I have a couple of bricks and am OK with that until closer to the ground squirrels coming back out next spring. If it stays on the shelf, I migh snag one more brick but that would be all. I told the guy at the counter that I was leaving what he had for someone else who was truly low or out of it to buy and he said he wished others took that same approach. they still limit sales of gunpowder to 1LB a day per person, but they are only a couple of blocks away so that is no big deal for me, either.

Yes, I think the 22LR "crisis" is mostly over. And I too hope the scalpers have to eat the ammo or sell it off at a loss.
Gander Mtn. flyer in today's newspaper.

Fed. Champion .22 LR 40 Gr, 50 rd box - @$2.49 (in store only - limit 5 per customer)

CCI Mini Mag .22 LR HP, 100 rd box - @$7.99 (online - limit 5 per customer)

While supplies last no rainchecks.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
An acquaintance just paid $90 a brick x3. At least he admitted he was getting screwed. He wanted it and didn't want to be patient or do any legwork. so he paid it.

And THAT, boys and girls, is the person fueling this craziness.

I would not have paid that for something like Thunderbolt, or yellowjackets, but good target ammo is a different story.
Went to the Lakeland gun show, (collector show), on Sat.
Folks still trying to sell 22 for $50-60, or more, per 333 rd. brick.

Course they also think Glock's are worth $600.00 and any Smith is worth more.
Well, it's all going to come down to how long the scalpers can keep paying on their plastic.

I've got enough small centerfires that don't cost that much more than current prices in Scalpistan, and the PLOOP at the end is SO much more entertaining....
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Well, it's all going to come down to how long the scalpers can keep paying on their plastic.

Dave, I think it all comes down to how long idiots will keep paying the scalpers prices. Until then, the scalpers will set the prices.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Dave, I think it all comes down to how long idiots will keep paying the scalpers prices. Until then, the scalpers will set the prices.

As the backlogs clear, there will come a point where scalpers can't buy it all, and that's when they will choke on their inventories.
© 24hourcampfire