Home
Posted By: Whiptail Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14

And it's not infamous for it's trigger.

http://dallas.texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=603281
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
I thought it was a 788.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
That (I won't say g n) should have been melted down long ago.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Is it the Leupold or the Weaver mounts? Okay, bad joke.

I'm surprised somebody owns it. I would have thought the police would have permanently disposed of it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Why would anyone pay that kind of money for it?
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Concur.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by eyeball

Yep. Out of respect for the dead and their relatives.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by 5sdad

don't know, but some sick bastard will.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 5sdad

don't know, but some sick bastard will.

"Bad guy" guns can bring some awesome money at auction...

But, mostly they are outlaws that came with more of a story than a brain tumor and dozens of innocent people.

I doubt this one will go for anywhere near the opening bid. (I could be wrong, but I hope not.)
Posted By: 4ager Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Why? It's simply a rifle and a tool. I don't give it any more or less "personality" than any others. Seems the anti-2A crowd imbues firearms with "evil" characteristics all the time and to no good end. Why should we do anything similar?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
It just rubs me the wrong way that someone is so willing to turn a profit off the souls of all those that died on that fateful day. This gun should have been destroyed decades ago.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by 4ager

Why? It's simply a rifle and a tool. I don't give it any more or less "personality" than any others. Seems the anti-2A crowd imbues firearms with "evil" characteristics all the time and to no good end. Why should we do anything similar?

Precisely.

No need to destroy the rifle. If I had my way, it would go to a rogue's gallery of historical items.

They didn't melt down Bonnie and Clyde's guns, and they killed more folks than cholera.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
It just rubs me the wrong way that someone is so willing to turn a profit off the souls of all those that died on that fateful day. This gun should have been destroyed decades ago.

Why destroy the tool?

People turn profits off the deaths of others all the time. That sickness has everything to do with the humans involved, not the means of their greed.

Of course, Schumer and Feinstein and Boxer and Bloomberg will be quick to tell you about other "evil" firearms that ought to be destroyed so that sick people can't turn a profit from them or use them in any way ("assault rifles" anyone?). That 700 is nothing more than Harry Reid's fear-mongering "military grade sniper rifles" made real.
Posted By: benchman Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Why destroy the tool?

People turn profits off the deaths of others all the time. That sickness has everything to do with the humans involved, not the means of their greed.

Of course, Schumer and Feinstein and Boxer and Bloomberg will be quick to tell you about other "evil" firearms that ought to be destroyed so that sick people can't turn a profit from them or use them in any way ("assault rifles" anyone?). That 700 is nothing more than Harry Reid's fear-mongering "military grade sniper rifles" made real.
Agreed. It's just a gun. I get the same feeling looking at the derringer that was used to kill Lincoln. It is often portrayed as "the gun that killed Lincoln". The man, Booth, killed Lincoln.
Posted By: RWE Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
ultimately, the gun killed less people than the pen that signed �bamacare into law will be responsible for.

Posted By: bruinruin Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by RWE
ultimately, the gun killed less people than the pen that signed �bamacare into law will be responsible for.

Beat me to it.
Wether or not you think it should be destroyed, IMO it's really bad form to try to make money off the dead, and that's all this is. Quietly sell it to a museum somewhere if you have to, but don't parade it around on an auction site.

But, I guess that's the great thing about America. Everyone is supposed to be free to practice their individual set of ethics any way they choose.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

But, I guess that's the great thing about America. Everyone is supposed to be free to practice their individual set of ethics any way they choose.

*Cough* Safariman *Cough*
I don't disagree that the sale is in bad form. There is no dictating class.
Agreed. We are supposed to do the right thing because it's the right thing.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
It's a beat up POS with decent scope rings. It would sell for next to nothing were it not for the infamy.

I personally couldn't buy it and use it without thinking about the creepy factor but it's not that big of deal to me either. I'm driving a vehicle that was involved in a fatality while I was driving it. It crosses my mind sometimes but you can't fix stupid, and you can't expect mentally ill to make reasonable decisions.
Posted By: deflave Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
The only thing classless about it is the amount of time since the incident.

Travis
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
You guys getting all emotional about an inanimate object? Sound like liberals!!! If you want to get all emotional, do it about the guy that did it. Anybody upset at the jeans he was wearing that day? Didn't think so.
Lay it on a table and watch how many people it kills in the next several decades. It's just a gun, go hunt it.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
What was the story on "The Dead Man's Gun?"

If I remember right there was either a story, TV Series,or Movie on that subject.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14

Yeah. That evil gun. We should probably even pass a law to keep other people from owning guns like that. Out of respect for all the people that gun killed.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14

This and nothing more, What's wrong here is someone trying to make a buck on some pretty sorry provenance (the gun's misuse by Charles Whitman) It isn't anymore a sniper rifle than any gun any of us own. Older 700 ADL's in 6 mm Rem are a scare item I've looked for years for on in good shape to use for deer and antelope hunting. Should we get rid of 223's and 308's cause they were used to shoot dinks and towelheads ? DUH Magnum Man
Posted By: BigNate Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Yeah. That evil gun. We should probably even pass a law to keep other people from owning guns like that. Out of respect for all the people that gun killed.

Imagine the rush to destroy all the M4's! LOL! It would spur the economy!
I wouldn't want it at any price....
Posted By: MColeman Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I thought it was a 788.

The shooting occured in 1966 and the 788 wasn't introduced until 1967.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
So you all geel the same way about auctions for medevial torture devices right? They should all be destroyed and not put out for sale of profit?
Posted By: john843 Re: Infamous 700 for sale - 09/25/14
Deflave hit the nail on the head. This is something that if not a majority here, at least a lot of us remember happening first hand during our life. I wouldn't expect the same antipathy if this was Jesse James' gun or even a Walther owned by Goering. The historical aspect in those cases would make it pretty desirable to a lot of people. Simply hasn't been long enough in this case.
John
© 24hourcampfire