Home
Posted By: sherp SC Trooper defending his life - 09/25/14
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/2...harge-after-shooting-unarmed-man-during/

Pretty sure he will come clear on this. Almost wonder if it wasn't according to plan as calm as he was. If they can exonerate him, it will be a great victory for police since they would then be able to shoot people who do exactly what they say with no consequence just as easily as they currently do those who go against their wishes.
The trooper is supported by the rank and file LE.

http://forums.officer.com/t195765/
Why not.
[Linked Image]
He was fired and has been charged with a felony
Originally Posted by Snyper
He was fired and has been charged with a felony

And I hope he gets the full 20 years.
No way they will convict him. As pointed out on officer.com, the perp got what he had coming. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a cop hater so jurors don't want to get saddled with that stigma.

Damn!! They get plumb serious about not wearing your seat belt in South Carolina.

Do they have helmet laws there?
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Damn!!

Clearly! You are not allowed to wear helmets under any circumstance.
So, if your kids are not in a child seat, who does the cop shoot, the parents, or the kids?
Not one comment about firing four shots - missing three and barely scoring a hit with one?
WHY did the guy dive back into the vehicle?
(I'm "hard of hearing" - so couldn't make out the audio)
Depending, I MAY have opened fire, too - as it almost seemed on the video - the guy may have been going for a weapon.
When "Stuff" happens that fast - reaction and training take over.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Depending, I MAY have opened fire, too - as it almost seemed on the video - the guy may have been going for a weapon.

If you think that this was a justified shooting by the trooper,you are part of the problem.
He complied with what the officer said and got shot for it. The trooper should rot in jail for a full 25 years.
Posted By: LBP Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by Partsman
Why not.
[Linked Image]

Good Lord, if this is the offending trooper I'm betting the guy didn't mind getting shot that much... grin
He didn't 'dive' into the car. It looked like he just reached in to get his wallet off the seat or something. The cop shot first at his back without seeing what was in his hands. There's no way that it was justified.

Has the guy died? The Foxnews headline said he did but the text said he didn't. Of course headline writers aren't obligated to read before they write.
Posted By: las Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by htredneck
Not one comment about firing four shots - missing three and barely scoring a hit with one?

He was fired, wasn't he? smile

First rule of a cop-stop - keep your hands in sight, move slowly under command with announced intent. Sheet - I ain't even black, and I know that!
He didn't 'dive' into the car.

He moved way too fast for the situation
It looked to me like he could have been lunging for a weapon
They BOTH overreacted
He didn't 'dive' into the car.

He moved way too fast for the situation
It looked to me like he could have been lunging for a weapon
They BOTH overreacted

Yep, black dude should have immediately assumed the position on the ground. Way over reacting grabbing his wallet like he was told to do.

Wonder where those bullets went? Looked like a crowded backdrop. He's lucky no one else was shot. What the heck was he shooting at on shots 3 and 4? Seemed pretty clear his wallet wasn't all that dangerous.

That cop was scared. Situational awareness is one thing, but scared is quite another.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Damn!! They get plumb serious about not wearing your seat belt in South Carolina.

I have a buddy who was pulled over by a motorcycle cop and given a seat belt ticket...
Yep, black dude should have immediately assumed the position on the ground. Way over reacting grabbing his wallet like he was told to do.

It wasn't CLEAR he was reaching for a wallet
You're overreacting too

You're overreacting too

Guess I deserve to be shot too, huh?
Snyper, your an idiot.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

You're overreacting too

You're still overreacting, and also being irrational
Why not just stick to the simple facts without the melodrama?

You're overreacting too

the cop was fired, he will probably do time. It was clear to his bosses that he over reacted. If he had not been fired and arrested then we could have a discussion regards what was and what was not clear.
If he had not been fired and jailed then we could have a discussion regards what was and what was not clear.

It's clear we are having the discussion anyway.

That doesn't change anything at all

Why pretend you could tell what he was reaching for?

Originally Posted by mirage243
Snyper, your an idiot.

YOU'RE semi-literate
The difference is I can prove my statement.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

You're overreacting too

You're still overreacting, and also being irrational
Why not just stick to the simple facts without the melodrama?

You serious? You're the one who said the black dude over reacted and that lead to him being shot. Wonder if he had been white if it would have been over reacting to get his wallet?
You serious? You're the one who said the black dude over reacted and that lead to him being shot. Wonder if he had been white if it would have been over reacting to get his wallet?

I said they BOTH overreacted.

You keep pretending the cop KNEW he was reaching for a wallet.

What I really said was he moved too fast for the situation, and yes, THAT cop would probably have shot anyone who lunged for SOMETHING in the car, regardless of race.
That cop was scared or just looking for a reason to shoot. He takes some responsibility for his actions when he decides to wear the badge. He obviously wasn't able to uphold his end. Thank goodness he was such a bad shot or just too out of control to get a decent hit at 5 feet. I'm just surprised no one else was injured. Good riddance. Hope he spends a few years with plenty of time to think about it.
Posted By: RWE Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 09/26/14
Well, now.

Cop shoots guy, gets fired, sherp shows up to spew his [bleep], and even posts a link to a cop forum where he alludes to some sort of broad brush rank and file support, which only has like a dozen posts in it, not all being supportive

and everyone here goes batshit crazy.

well played EE.
Posted By: ppfd Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 09/26/14
Guy that got shot lived, took a round to the hip.

THAT Trooper was a friggin amateur. Fired and charged is good enough.
Cop was wrong to shoot, obviously.

I'm also smart enough to not make sudden moves around law enforcement. I would have said 'My wallet/license is in the vehicle, can I reach inside and get it?'

I'm quite certain I've gotten out of a half dozen tickets just because I knew what I was doing when I got pulled over.
Predators react to sudden movements. Always have, always will. We are predators, well some are apparently not.
Fuel for the fire.
The news this morning said the cop was involved in another shooting, ruled justified and awarded a medal, a couple of years ago. What did that situation contribute to this one? Anything? Nothing?

I don't know.
Cop needs to spend time behind bars. That was a BS shooting.
Originally Posted by RWE
Well, now.

Cop shoots guy, gets fired, sherp shows up to spew his [bleep], and even posts a link to a cop forum where he alludes to some sort of broad brush rank and file support, which only has like a dozen posts in it, not all being supportive

and everyone here goes batshit crazy.

well played EE.

The officers on that site are supporting what the trooper did.

The only ones not supporting the officer's actions are not police. As we have been told by the police on this site time and time again, the non-police opinion on matters like this(so long as it is not inline with police opinion) does not matter.

Good shoot other than missing him, particularly the shots fired when the perps hands were up. Apparently that needs to be a target for the no hesitation series.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

He was reaching for his wallet which is what the trooper asked for, then when the trooper told him to get out of the vehicle he did just that and trooper opened fire.

Like you I think it was a good shoot and think police should have a free hand to shoot anyone entering or exiting a vehicle at anytime.

When the SC legal system plays softball with him and he is exonerated, you, me, and the nation's police will get our wishes on that.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

He will walk and there probably isn't a cop in the country who wouldn't have got caught up in the spirit and popped off a few rounds with their brother officer.
Where are you guys getting your "I am Trooper Groubert" bracelets to show your support like the brave troops on officer.com are doing?
Since when is a traffic stop a life or death situation? The cop had no reason to think he was in danger. Do they offer mandatory classes to citizens on how you have to react to a stop to avoid death?

I wonder how Joe Cop will respond to other prisoners who want to 'discuss' his actions.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Since when is a traffic stop a life or death situation? The cop had no reason to think he was in danger. Do they offer mandatory classes to citizens on how you have to react to a stop to avoid death?

I wonder how Joe Cop will respond to other prisoners who want to 'discuss' his actions.

He had no reason to think he was safe.

abcnews.go.com/US/...officer-killed-traffic-stop/story?id=24781737
Jul 30, 2014 � A suspect in the fatal shooting of a West St. Paul, Minnesota, police officer Wednesday during a routine traffic stop

www.kctv5.com/story/...police-officer-shot-killed-during-traffic-stop
Authorities have two suspects in custody after a Topeka police officer was shot and killed Sunday while making a car stop.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/30/police-officer-shot...
Sep 27, 2014 � ... is in custody after being shot by police. The officer was shot and killed during ... SUV after an officer was shot during a traffic stop ...
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Yep.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Cop was wrong to shoot, obviously.

I'm also smart enough to not make sudden moves around law enforcement. I would have said 'My wallet/license is in the vehicle, can I reach inside and get it?'

Good post.

The perp didn't have his seat belt buckled. If you don't think that is reason enough to get shot then talk to meter reader Gitem 12.

He had no reason to think he was safe.

abcnews.go.com/US/...officer-killed-traffic-stop/story?id=24781737
Jul 30, 2014 � A suspect in the fatal shooting of a West St. Paul, Minnesota, police officer Wednesday during a routine traffic stop

www.kctv5.com/story/...police-officer-shot-killed-during-traffic-stop
Authorities have two suspects in custody after a Topeka police officer was shot and killed Sunday while making a car stop.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/30/police-officer-shot...
Sep 27, 2014 � ... is in custody after being shot by police. The officer was shot and killed during ... SUV after an officer was shot during a traffic stop ...

Yep, civilians should not take any actions against police no matter what officers do to civilians, but police should be free to kill civilians at will since some police have been harmed by civilians.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

The perp didn't have his seat belt buckled. If you don't think that is reason enough to get shot then talk to meter reader Gitem 12.

Yep, I hope the officer was able to issue that ticket considering the confusion that happened when the perp brought the shooting on himself. If so, he will likely not pay it since he has shown a history of lawlessness and that will give Grouberts's fellow officers a chance to do a no knock raid on him.
The cop screwed up. He should not have fired.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The cop screwed up by not finished the perp, saving tax payers money. He should not have been fired.

Fixed it for you to be in line with the officer.com group who know what they are talking about.
So the officer had PTSD, the guy was black and fidgety, and an officer had been killed in a traffic accident somewhere in the last little bit. What other things could help clear the officer and get him back on the job?
Originally Posted by sherp

Yep, civilians should not take any actions against police no matter what officers do to civilians, but police should be free to kill civilians at will since some police have been harmed by civilians.

Twist and spin all you like.

Originally Posted by sherp

Twist and spin all you like.

I didn't twist anything. It is wrong for a civilian to attempt to stop a police officer from doing anything they want to do, but it is completely right for a police officer to do anything they want to do to a civilian. We see that point made by police officers on this site and on sites such as officer.com on a regular basis.
I didn't twist anything.

Yeah, right
And the sky doesn't look blue
Ramble on
Sherp,

He was fired and arrested. What else should happen? Maybe flogging in public, stoning, castration, what?

I will go on record here: I am a 21 year law enforcement veteran and I believe, as do my co-workers, that he was wrong and is being dealt with appropriately.

I also see how it happened. The sudden in and out of the vehicle probably would have resulted in a drawn gun by many reasonable officers across the country. The shooting not so much.

Now tell everyone what a fascist prick I am for looking at this from both sides.

-Z
Originally Posted by Zrack656
Sherp,

He was fired and arrested. What else should happen? Maybe flogging in public, stoning, castration, what?

I will go on record here: I am a 21 year law enforcement veteran and I believe, as do my co-workers, that he was wrong and is being dealt with appropriately.

I also see how it happened. The sudden in and out of the vehicle probably would have resulted in a drawn gun by many reasonable officers across the country. The shooting not so much.

Now tell everyone what a fascist prick I am for looking at this from both sides.

-Z

As stated on officer.com he should not have been fired or charged with anything. The only possible travesty in any of this is if the perp didn't get the seat belt ticket.
I didn't twist anything.

Yeah, right
And the sky doesn't look blue
Ramble on

Depends on time of day and weather conditions as to the color of the sky.

You and I both want the officer back on the job so he can keep on doing what he was doing. Like you I think it would have been better had he connected with all the shots and it is a shame it was on video that didn't have fast enough frames per second to catch the perp throwing the gun away he pulled from the vehicle.
Originally Posted by Zrack656
Sherp,

-Z

Oh, and why do you think the shooting was not reasonable exactly?
Posted By: CCCC Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 10/05/14
It does not matter a lick what those on officer.com have to say - that is a biased and self-serving voice - not at all viable in a specific situation like this.

I'm as far from a cop-hater as one can be - very supportive of LE in general. But, it is astounding how some will throw away all reason and common sense in knee-jerk defense of even the most egeregious bad actions by police is such situations.

The cop supposedly is WELL TRAINED and fully competent to deal with a wide variety of situations, even like this one. Folks like those on officer.com will take a position like "he is a highly trained proferssional" and, apparently, a statement like that is supposed to trump facts and reason. Such reasoning is stupid.

The cop is in a position of vastly superior power, is armed with at least one deadly weapon, and often can conjure an excuse for using deadly force. Those very facts lay upon him a vastly more serious responsibility to use great judgment, act safely and sensibly, and choose to use that deadly force very judiciously.

The issue for me is not what has, or will, happen with that LEO. The issue is that some seem to exert blind loyalty to a "brother" in the face of simple reason. Being simply a non-LEO citizen does not remove a person's ability to perceive reality and react accordingly. Likewise, being a LEO does not excuse a person who cannot do the same.
As stated on officer.com he should not have been fired or charged with anything. The only possible travesty in any of this is if the perp didn't get the seat belt ticket.

We get that you think yours is the only opinion that matters
Give it up. You're defending the indefensible.
Posted By: g5m Re: SC Trooper defending his life - 10/06/14
But wait! There's more:

http://www.wistv.com/story/26683466...-at-palmetto-health-richland-lawyer-says

Take tylenol and go home?
Levar Jones didn't receive proper medical care at Palmetto Health Richland, lawyer says

Yeah, there's a credible source.
Originally Posted by CCCC
It does not matter a lick what those on officer.com have to say - that is a biased and self-serving voice - not at all viable in a specific situation like this.

I'm as far from a cop-hater as one can be - very supportive of LE in general. But, it is astounding how some will throw away all reason and common sense in knee-jerk defense of even the most egeregious bad actions by police is such situations.

The cop supposedly is WELL TRAINED and fully competent to deal with a wide variety of situations, even like this one. Folks like those on officer.com will take a position like "he is a highly trained proferssional" and, apparently, a statement like that is supposed to trump facts and reason. Such reasoning is stupid.

The cop is in a position of vastly superior power, is armed with at least one deadly weapon, and often can conjure an excuse for using deadly force. Those very facts lay upon him a vastly more serious responsibility to use great judgment, act safely and sensibly, and choose to use that deadly force very judiciously.

The issue for me is not what has, or will, happen with that LEO. The issue is that some seem to exert blind loyalty to a "brother" in the face of simple reason. Being simply a non-LEO citizen does not remove a person's ability to perceive reality and react accordingly. Likewise, being a LEO does not excuse a person who cannot do the same.

Officers always feel their lives are in danger when dealing with civilians so it was and is a good shoot.

It matters what police officers on officer.com think because only they have the experience to judge police matters and because they are police it means they have the experience to judge right or wrong on everyone else.

We get that you think yours is the only opinion that matters

My opinion is the same as your opinion and that of most officers. The trooper should be let go and rehired.
Originally Posted by g5m

Police and the medical field have a good working relationship as we saw with the cavity searches that made the news in TN & NM. Why do you hate police and physicians for working together to control civilians?
My opinion is the same as your opinion

Then we both think you're clueless
My opinion is the same as your opinion

Then we both think you're clueless

Why the insults towards me? You and I both want the trooper to be set free and returned to his job and then free to do what ever he wants again. Not sure what your problem is with me for supporting the very same people and things you support.
Why the insults towards me?

Why pretend you're not just trolling?
That's an insult to most everyone's intelligence

You just look for excuses to bash the cops
It gets old fast
Why the insults towards me?

Why pretend you're not just trolling?
That's an insult to most everyone's intelligence

You just look for excuses to bash the cops
It gets old fast

How is supporting police to not be punished for incidents and attacking anyone who opposes them operating without restraint "cop bashing" exactly? The officers on officer.com do that as do the police officers here. They aren't bashing police when they do that and neither am I.

I want this trooper to be put back on the job with back pay and free to do what made him famous everyday and twice on Sunday if he wants. Just like you do.
How is supporting police to not be punished for incidents and attacking anyone who opposes them operating without restraint "cop bashing" exactly?

See my last post for an explantion
I'm done trying to have a rational discussion with you
How is supporting police to not be punished for incidents and attacking anyone who opposes them operating without restraint "cop bashing" exactly?

See my last post for an explantion
I'm done trying to have a rational discussion with you

You just keep claiming I am bashing cops while I keep voicing support for incidents police openly support each other on. I haven't helped a police officer dispose of a civilian body(yet) so is that what makes you better than me?
© 24hourcampfire