Home
Posted By: MissouriEd 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 09/30/14
Guys and Gals-I have a Ruger 77 rifle in 257 Roberts that has been accurized by Hill Country Rifle and has never been Hunted. It groups an inch or under with most factory ammo. It has a new Ruger OEM recoil pad that needs final shaping.

I will donate this rifle as a Christmas project if anyone knows of someone in need of a rifle. 24CF will need to final finish the recoil pad, donate a scope and mabe a nice knife and identify and deliver the rifle to the recipient.

What say you 24CF? Seafire would you coordinate this project?
Let SafariMan coordinate it!
Yeah Paul....

I don't mind doing it...

Would like to see either a deserving kid or deserving veteran focus attached to it...
Can't wait to hear the proud recipient bitch because it didn't show up with a set of Uncle Mike's QD swivels.

Posted By: JeffG Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 09/30/14
nice gesture, plenty of deserving hunters still out there.
Is it all scratched up?
Posted By: Ready Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 09/30/14
Missouri,

PM sent.

I'm in to send something of need. When we get this up and going let me know please.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can't wait to hear the proud recipient bitch because it didn't show up with a set of Uncle Mike's QD swivels.

I'll throw in an unused leather Uncle Mike's sling with QD swivels to avoid that possible disappointment.
Let me know where to send em.
Posted By: kecatt Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 09/30/14
I have this knife I would gladly contribute:
It is a Browning model 644 as new in box.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 09/30/14
Who is to decide the recipient of this gift and can verify he or she deserves this gift ? Myself i'm not really into this welfare crap especially when you are giving a rifle . If a person is capable of getting up and going hunting then he is able to get up and go to work. If i was to donate to anyone it will be someone i personally know and not some stranger that someone on the internet forum picks out. I just don't believe this is a good idea. If you want to donate a rifle on Christmas to someone, then pick out someone you personally know in your home town. If you are going to give it to someone on the forum in need then you might want to consider Safari Man.
Ready has kindly offered to donate a scope and Kecatt has offered to donate a hunting knife. Much thanks to these kind members.

Seafire has offered to help coordinate the project and hopefully get the final fit on the recoil pad.

Now we are open to candidates for this project. Current veterans, either active duty or otherwise, disabled veterans or any deserving youth. Please PM me or Seafire your candidates.

Thanks members, you are all very generous.
Originally Posted by bea175
Who is to decide the recipient of this gift and can verify he or she deserves this gift ? Myself i'm not really into this welfare crap especially when you are giving a rifle . If a person is capable of getting up and going hunting then he is able to get up and go to work. If i was to donate to anyone it will be someone i personally know and not some stranger that someone on the internet forum picks out. I just don't believe this is a good idea. If you want to donate a rifle on Christmas to someone, then pick out someone you personally know in your home town. If you are going to give it to someone on the forum in need then you might want to consider Safari Man.

in the past these things usually go to a kid whose parents are down on their luck through no fault of their own or a vet thats in the same sort of boat.....wish i had my stuff thats sitting in New Mexico right now as i have a set of binocs i dont like i would throw in....

All very legitimate questions there BEA....

as in the past, some of these projects that have fallen in my lap, I have gotten a group of 5 forum members that I have approached ( different ones each time).. who agree to be a judge, and help vote on who is the most deserving...

I leave myself out ( but do throw in my 2 cents at times) but with an odd number, that eliminates having a tie....

so that is how it has been done in the past, and that is how it will be done this time...

but I appreciate you bringing up this point... I allows the question to be answered as I am sure you are not the only forum member to have this question cross there mind...

best regards
seafire

Addendum...oh forgot to answer one other legit question...

as far as verification to someone actually being needy or deserving...so far it has not been too hard to see thru the posers.. and we have had a couple in the past... but they are not hard to spot...

each judge also reads and is privy to the submission requests...
so it is also a group decision...

if you'd like to volunteer to be a judge, I am currently looking for volunteers...
As a past recipient of a rifle from one of Seafire's Veteran Rifle Project's I have to say it was one of the most humbling and honoring events I have been a part of. I feel so honored and humbled every time that rifle comes out of the safe(which is alot!) It has become my favorite rifle, although it has yet to be bloodied. Deployments kept me from using it before, and had my hunting plans this year ruined with my accident 2 weeks ago. If there is any way I can contribute to this, let me now once it gets going.
how about being one of my judge panel?

Since you are laid up...etc... whistle

naw Brent... that would be a nice gesture... pay it forward kinda thing...if you have the time and don't mind helping out in that way...
John, set it up, and I'm in to help.
John, I wouldn't mind being a Judge for it, time is something I seem to have an abundance of now! Just let me know what you need me to do.
Thanks Sam and Brent....

its a pleasure gentlemen...

now just 3 more and its a done deal and we'll start getting submissions for nomination of candidates...
Y'all might contact RIO7 on this. I know that he does a lot of Wounded Warrior things and might have knowledge of a person that would be a candidate. He is busy this time of year and might not see this, so a PM might be in order. miles
Thanks to all who responded we all appreciate your input. I wish to have no part with nomination or selection of the recipitant. I will get the rifle and scope and knife to Seafire.

How about donations of binos, gift certificates to Midway, Cabelas, couple boxes of ammo, gun case, etc.

Thanks again, don't forget to nominate someone please.

Paul
Originally Posted by Seafire

..so far it has not been too hard to see thru the posers.. and we have had a couple in the past... but they are not hard to spot...

damnit, no wonder I never get any free stuff cry

and it turns out I'm spotted as well?

kudos gents, pretty good way to honor the blessings bestowed upon us, by bestowing some of them on someone else.

but you guys are still a bunch of heartless, conservative bastids! well according to some, but not me

good form MOEd

and yes Seafire, you're great at making this stuff happen

and yes Seafire, you're great at making this stuff happen

Well your chances just increased 100%...maybe 101 %... whistle
Posted By: KSMITH Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
I would think you would never know vets who are truly down on their luck as they just don't bitch about it.
Posted By: byc Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Thanks to all who responded we all appreciate your input. I wish to have no part with nomination or selection of the recipitant. I will get the rifle and scope and knife to Seafire.

How about donations of binos, gift certificates to Midway, Cabelas, couple boxes of ammo, gun case, etc.

Thanks again, don't forget to nominate someone please.

Paul

Paul.

I'm in. Not wanting to judge but always willing to donate.

As Sam stated, just let me know.

David
Posted By: bea175 Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
If i don't personally know the person , then i don't think i would be qualified to be a judge .
John - I have a buddy who visits the ABQ VA average 4 times a week.
I'll see if he knows any candidates.
Thanks for ramrodding this deal!
Posted By: 79S Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Is it all scratched up?

Uh safariman isn't selling it so no.... Please stay on topic
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
As a past recipient of a rifle from one of Seafire's Veteran Rifle Project's I have to say it was one of the most humbling and honoring events I have been a part of. I feel so honored and humbled every time that rifle comes out of the safe(which is alot!) It has become my favorite rifle, although it has yet to be bloodied. Deployments kept me from using it before, and had my hunting plans this year ruined with my accident 2 weeks ago. If there is any way I can contribute to this, let me now once it gets going.

You crying?
Can I nominate myself I'm almost a veteran I washed out in basic training every time I ran I have panic attacks.
1998-1998 ft sill

thanks guys
Posted By: chas05 Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
Gotta say...I'm a about to considered an asshhhhole....I've contributed to multiple causes over the last eight years, not insignificantly, always promised a PM of thanks...canned nno doubt, but would a happily accepted...never received..

Cast me with a jaundiced eye,

Charlie
Well Charlie,

I have no clue if it was anything I was involved with, but if I neglected to thank you for your support, please accept my apology, and a belated thank you for all you have done...

I can understand where even a little appreciation goes a long way, especially when one never seems to receive it..

best regards
seafire
Posted By: chas05 Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
Well Charlie,

I have no clue if it was anything I was involved with, but if I neglected to thank you for your support, please accept my apology, and a belated thank you for all you have done...

I can understand where even a little appreciation goes a long way, especially when one never seems to receive it..

best regards
seafire

Appreciate your thoughts and not sure how to reply:
Thanks?
or...
GFY

Charlie
Originally Posted by chas05
Well Charlie,

best regards
seafire

Thanks?
or...
GFY

Charlie

Well that's a mood killer.

How in the world you guys gunna figure out who's deserving? I mean come on, if he smokes cigarettes and drinks beer but doesn't have money for hunting stuff does he qualify? What if he occasionally wears a wife-beater t shirt? Or lives in Tennessee? Is he up on his child support?

Seriously, one of the criteria should be that he himself needs to be a selfless giver, the kind of guy that doesn't have anything because of his own generosity. Someone that wouldn't do this for himself, unlike me, and maybe a couple others on here. wink

Lots of professional victims out there.
We did this with the Hunter Education program here when I was the Chief Instructor. We gave away a scoped rifle, took the youth on a guided antelope hunt and had the trophy mounted for the youth when it was all done.

This was a great experience for the youth and those of us participating in the program. Choosing the young people that we did was done through an announcement that we made through the Hunter Ed program at the beginning of the class during our scheduled class that we held annually.

It is easier than you might think, the success was beyond our expectations. I saw one of the recipients years later and he still remarked at how much this meant to him. This isn't charity as much as a hand up to our young people that would like to engage in the outdoors, specifically hunting.

Giving someone a gun adds a component in the effort to do such a good deed, but it worked well.

If there are any questions I can answer on how we did this, I am willing to share all the success we had, not to mention the support from many sources. We did this for 5 years and took several young people on their first and possibly greatest adventure and saw how in just a few days, lives were changed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by chas05
Well Charlie,

best regards
seafire

Thanks?
or...
GFY

Charlie

well, if ya think I am an okay guy, I guess "Thanks?" is the proper reply.....

deFlave set the trend on the campfire, If ya like someone, then its GFY....

Let your conscious be your guide, or just accept it.. with no need to reply...

everyone deserves some appreciation and it is not always given...
Again thanks to everyone. Your comments and support are appreciated.

How about someone or several donate a cleaning rod, attachments, targets, cleaning patches.

Thanks
Posted By: bea175 Re: 24CF Christmas Project 2014 - 10/01/14
If brain damage qualifies the person, then give it to someone who choose to live in California .
Good suggestion BEA....

We will start checking on some of the guys that reside down at Pelican Bay...see if anyone of them would like a firearm... whistle
TnBoys take care of Tn Remfs, keep your $20 and broadcast your PMs. Although I wouldn't call our selection a remf but a Rakkasan
If brain damage qualifies the person, then give it to someone who choose to live in California .

Yo! grin

Great pics Shrap..
TnBoys take care of Tn Remfs, keep your $20 and broadcast your PMs. Although I wouldn't call our selection a remf but a Rakkasan
"You will be accepted around here if you open your wallet boy"
Assshole De Jour
AKA EH76
Originally Posted by FlyingDog
"You will be accepted around here if you open your wallet boy"
Assshole De Jour
AKA EH76

RFRP

rifles for remfs program?????????????????????????????????????
laugh laugh laugh
Firearm for Christmas Project 2014 is currently intransit.
wish i had access to my stuff.....think its in Cody WY now.....have two pairs of used but in good shape binocs there....
Maybe it will be a HER that receives.
That's certainly OK as long as it furthers the shooting and hunting sports.
Being in state, I'm forced to cheer for the Lowly Oklahoma Sooners and the OSU Cowboys...

Does that make me pitiful enough to qualify.?
I've got a good scope that would be available for this project. Let me know if you want it.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've got a good scope that would be available for this project. Let me know if you want it.

Contact Seafire please. Thanks you
Where do we sit on this project? I'm not a huge poster all the time, but would be willing to help if needed. I can be a judge.

Thanks,

Mike
Firearm (Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts) shipped this morning. Im sure that Seafire might add to this thread and give an update on his part.
© 24hourcampfire