Home
Posted By: MColeman Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
at my feeder a few minutes ago. smile I've been wondering if perhaps the ones still hanging around know instinctively they don't have the stamina to make it to Costa Rica and are resigned to living out their last days here?

I know that may be anthropomorphic but it was just a thought that passed through my mind. I'm glad I left one feeder out for stragglers.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
I've often wondered that exact same thing regarding all migratory birds that hang around after their flocks have gone.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
We only had a few around Enterprise when I left in mid-August. Lots of them out here in Tucson. Curious to see how long they stick around here.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
You're seeing ones coming through on the migration. We had a few pass through here last week; might be one you just saw. They are all on their way south.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
I haven't seen mine in a couple of weeks. I only had one but it stayed for 3 or 4 weeks. Last year was the first year I had a feeder and I only saw one once. Hope it comes back.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/15/14
saw one when I was 10 Mickey

truthfully, I doubt if he's still there though
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/16/14
still seeing a couple zooming around my wifes flowers. Saw them this morning..
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/16/14
Migrating birds are one of God's amazing mysteries.

I know our migrating birds always have a few stragglers, and some that even winter over. There are always going to be a few slow pokes that take their time moving along.
Posted By: shortleade Re: Saw a hummingbird - 10/16/14
I still have at least one still hanging around. Saw one this morning.
© 24hourcampfire