Home
I gotta go to Memphis next week for business. I'm supposed to fly via Charlotte. But I think I'll drive instead. About 10 hours.

Anybody else worried about Ebola enough to do that, or am I just a worry wart?
SC to VA next week. 8+ hours. DRIVING!!

Fast truck, CD's and Biscuitville country ham and biscuits. I'm happy!!
Wife's headed to Cleveland next week to visit our daughter. She hasn't cancelled her trip, but needless to say hearing about the nurse that flew to Cleveland isn't exactly comforting.
Don't touch the door handles in the head while traveling. The in thing now is bottle of bleach water to spritz on public surfaces.
flying is the most unhealthy environment you can be in. i avoid it like the plague. literally. i have driven 12 hours to avoid flying 2.
I hate airports anyway. I have travel insurance that might cover most of the tickets. My boss doesn't care. My wife and children would rather we didn't all die from Ebola.

I can't imagine why I would fly at this point.
Originally Posted by rem141r
flying is the most unhealthy environment you can be in. i avoid it like the plague. literally. i have driven 12 hours to avoid flying 2.

Agreed! And I thought I was the only person I knew who would drive 12 hours to avoid flying two!
I drive unless forced to fly....will drive from now on
No change. Still driving to Colorado/Wyoming for Thanksgiving smile
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
I gotta go to Memphis next week for business. I'm supposed to fly via Charlotte. But I think I'll drive instead. About 10 hours.

I have decided to drive on all my trips as well or reschedule as video conference calls.
I flew through Charlotte to NOLA on USelessAir on Sept 28, and then back from NOLA through Houston on United Oct 1. Hope I didn't get it...
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rem141r

Agreed! And I thought I was the only person I knew who would drive 12 hours to avoid flying two!

I've made several trips from the Rockies to the East coast via driving.

Aircraft are unsanitary and I hate being treated like a sheep.
Tucson next week.

Driving.
Almost every trip from here involves flying, a bit worrisome.
I was going to surprise my wife and take her to Ireland for her birthday next month...I am the one who got the surprise...swmbo has decided neither of us is getting on any airplane unless and until this "thing" is over with.....now I have to figure out where to drive her to for the surprise!

Just had a conversation with my brother about this; he and my SIL are planning two weeks in southern France shortly. Were it me and my wife it would be a no-go.
Going to Germany, Holland and England next week. Haven't heard about Ebola over there.

Not going anywhere near Texas anytime soon. eek
Won't be headed to Texas anytime soon.
We're flying to Dallas for a few days for my birthday.
My daughter and little grandson live there.

Keep my fingers crossed.

Flying?
Ha.

Ha ha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaqhahahahahahaha.
I'm hoping I can turn this into a reason to not go to the SIL's.

I think I can do it.
Just flew into Korea from San Antonio through Japan on Monday and just booked a ticket home on Christmas Eve and back to Korea in January, so no.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Going to Germany, Holland and England next week. Haven't heard about Ebola over there.

No confirmed cases in the UK at present, although we've had one or two scares. We were treating at least one patient we brought back from West Africa, but he made a recovery and was released from hospital some time ago.

I think Germany have also received one or two infected patients from over seas for treatment, but I've not heard of any breaches of bio security over there.

No news from Holland and I think the only other European country with confirmed cases is Spain, but that now seems to be under control.
Weather driving or flying everyone need to pay attention to conditions. While driving the restroom cleanliness gas pumps, using gloves and wipes.

Moving from one mode of transportation to another has it own issues that one need to be careful of.

It looks like long pants and shirts are in order, gloves as need be.
Seem to recall an azzload of folks die driving every year.

I won't fly regardless; haven't since '09..

But we're scheduled to be on a cruise next May. I'm driving down with luggage but family is flying - and as of now they're a bit worried but will have to make choices at the time..

They may end up riding down to the ship with me..

Lots of time yet to figure it out..

Hysteria

Pronunciation: \his-ˈter-ē-ə, -ˈtir-\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from English hysteric, adjective, from Latin hystericus, from Greek hysterikos, from hystera womb; from the Greek notion that hysteria was peculiar to women and caused by disturbances of the uterus
Date: 1801
1 : a psychoneurosis marked by emotional excitability and disturbances of the psychic, sensory, vasomotor, and visceral functions 2 : behavior exhibiting overwhelming or unmanageable fear or emotional excess <political hysteria>
� hys�ter�ic \-&#712;ter-ik\ noun
� hys�ter�i�cal \-&#712;ter-i-k&#601;l\ also hysteric adjective
� hys�ter�i�cal�ly \-i-k(&#601;-)l&#275;\ adverb

Pragmatic (me)

prag�mat�ic (prg-mtk)
adj.
1. Dealing or concerned with facts or actual occurrences; practical.
2. Philosophy Of or relating to pragmatism.
3. Relating to or being the study of cause and effect in historical or political events with emphasis on the practical lessons to be learned from them.

dipstick (you)

1. the penis

2. a stupid or obnoxious person
Shut up you sleazy dipstick.
by Light Joker April 17, 2007

You just aren't very smart, are you?
I think it's far too early to start worrying about things to that degree.
Might as well just slide on down to the doomsday shelter, and bunker up.
My college kid is flying to Dallas for a good job interview in a few weeks. I'd do the same as well at this point. If the wheels fall totally off the bus, I guess I will reevaluate. As of right now, I am not changing any travel plans.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
You just aren't very smart, are you?

Understatement of the day
Traveling by air during cold and flu season is always a big risk.

I flew to South Dakota 2 years ago for a hunting trip. Spent 4 out of the 5 days I was there in bed sick as a dog from something I picked up while traveling. I'll be driving there in a couple of weeks. Made that decision even before the Ebola cluster fark.
I am at a million and a half miles to/from all manner of hpucked up places and nary a problem with sickness even on those where locals wore a mask (must be the gin...) and only two flight connections missed requiring an unplanned but well executed (via the airline company) overnight stay. Both were domestic US flights and one was a miss from Dallas to San Antonio. There is a world outside the cave. crazy
Still flying, but can see the writing on the wall. Once Ebola shows up in several US cities, lots of people will start staying home. Once Ebola gets into South/Central America our vacation plans will change as well.
Originally Posted by Redneck

But we're scheduled to be on a cruise next May. I'm driving down with luggage but family is flying - and as of now they're a bit worried but will have to make choices at the time..

Far greater chance catching something on that ship than the plane ride.
Reconsidering upcoming trip to Liberia.
Originally Posted by EdM

Wow, someone gets the dangers....

Always say its more dangerous to drive to and from the airport than get on a plane..

Now those that just dno't like flying, thats another issue.

It gets me places I can't get withotu long drives and I don't have the time to spare, so we fly. I"d love to drive to AK every fall to hunt a few weeks. Given 2 weeks off driving is not an option.

But as with anything, some precautions would go a long way to not get the flu or ebola.

Careful? Yes. Paranoid, no not at this point.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Redneck

Far greater chance catching something on that ship than the plane ride.

Not if you're an idiot in Wisconsin.

Just put my wife on a plane to Daytona Beach. She's a professor of nursing and she's not worried.
I'd rather drive for five hours than fly for one.

But that has nothing to do with Ebola.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

It used to be I'd drive instead of fly if I could get someplace in one long day. Lately, it's been two.

But that has nothing to do with Ebola, either.
If they ever come up with a bridge to Africa I'll likely go on a safari, till that time I guess I'm stuck hunting N. America.

Travis

Flying from burbank to john wayne on a friday afternoon is the exception.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If they ever come up with a bridge to Africa I'll likely go on a safari, till that time I guess I'm stuck hunting N. America.

I'd worry more about that flight running outta booze before ebola.
phouc no. Then again, I'm not prone to hysterics.

The fact I hate flying commercial aside, particularly with the great unwashed in coach, with all their oversized luggage (these phokers haven't discovered the fact you can CHECK YOUR BAGS) gross foodstuffs etc, we just got back from a great week with some friends in Montana. Spectacular in so many ways, I can't say enough about that place.

I ain't worried about Ebola, I just can't sit in a plane for 15 hours.
Same here. I have well over a million FF miles that will likely go to waste. Flown all I want with corporate America.
I flew once. I liked it. 1971
Originally Posted by Pashooter
Won't be headed to Texas anytime soon.

Who woulda thought there'd be an UPSIDE to this Ebola deal.

I ain't worried about Ebola, I just can't sit in a plane for 15 hours.

Me too.. That's where the booze comes in.
Fact of the matter, I hate airports more than planes.
Incubation time for EB is what, 2-3 weeks? By the end of the first week in November any case from the Frontier flight with the infected Dallas nurse should be showing up.

I'd give the odds of encountering EB at one in many thousands. I'd guess the odds of adding significant hassle to already miserable commercial flying is one in four, maybe even higher by the time three more weeks go by. It's gonna hit airline profit hard.

I gave up on flying many years ago. Why ... The fu*king TSA azzholes are the main reason.
Also I prefer to travel with a knife and a fully loaded 1911 grin
Originally Posted by EdM

No question about it .... driving is much more dangerous than flying.
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by EdM

No question about it .... driving is much more dangerous than flying.

do those stats include the odds of catching Ebola?
I would never change travel plans due to a Media Scare
So how many people have actually contracted ebola in the US? Two, so far?

I try to avoid driving thru Liberia whenever possible wink
Fact of the matter, I hate airports more than planes.

My feeling as well, but the only way to travel in a time effective manner is via air, so I deal with the hassles of the airport and go about my life. I actually enjoy flying, but being crammed elbows to azzholes with the masses of azzes isn't my idea of a good time.

Just gotta figure out the next great fad so I can afford a corporate jet laugh
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

FYI
Germany: On 14 October 2014, German health officials reported that a United Nations Sudanese healthcare worker that was infected with EVD in Liberia and tansported to Leipzig, Germany for treatment died.
I just made my plane reservations today. Flying back to hunt whitetails with my brother in Ohio
Can't drive to Maui so yes, our plans remain unchanged for Feb/Mar.
An ebola scare like up in Belton could possibly shut down the school for at least a couple of weeks, that couple of weeks would have to be made up over the summer. That could screw up any travel plans.

Travis

I'm getting there (pun whistle). I was in Ghana (several small countries away from Liberia but the same climate and poverty) two years ago at this time and I can see something like Ebola killing thousands in a Third World country before flaming out.. or worse--not.

Two of the worst illnesses I experienced were after rather short domestic flights. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but imagine a hundred fifty or so folk some with viruses and bacteria coughing and sneezing in a "closet" while circulating the same air.

Off topic, but the rarefied incompetence of this administration is just........awesome.
Yes I am going to change my oil before I go on a road trip this weekend

- Travis

I've boarded up all my windows, barricaded the doors, and am hiding under my bed - - -
It isn't going to change any of my plans. I wasn't planning on going anywhere and I'm still not planning on going anywhere.
The news of late reminds me of a Kinky Friedman quote I heard once: "It doesn't matter if you're going to heaven or hell, all flights go through Dallas/Fort Worth."
© 24hourcampfire