Home
I have a heck of a time finding something I'm happy with! I can be picky about stuff like this though. Can't be heavy. They gotta last more than 6 - 8 months. My feet/skin gotta agree with them otherwise I get a skin rash. Non-steel toe. I prefer waterproof. I also prefer American made. I've tried lots of them in my young (20yr) working career. What say you?
I'm on my first pair of Chippewa boots. Have only had them for about 5 months but I like them so far.
Redback, except Aussie made.
If its made in the USA I'm happy.
Redwing Pecos
Redwing or Double H American made loggers. I alternate between brown and black every 4 years when I get my new pair.
Double H I like. I need your job if they last 4 years.
My job requires steel/safety toes. I've been wearing the same pair of Redwing loggers daily for four years! Lugged Vibram soles are getting a bit smooth, but the uppers look like there's another couple years in them....
1D
Redwing Iron Rangers
Since I retired, I do nicely with bedroom slippers in cold weather and sandals when it's warm.
White's Smoke jumper or Double H logger. Both made in the USA.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Since I retired, I do nicely with bedroom slippers in cold weather and sandals when it's warm.

BaHaHaHaHa! I'm right there with ya if I can live long enough to see my retirement.
I get some mileage out of them these days, no more farm work or welding. But I still kinda splurge on my work boots, I'm on concrete all day and I wear them about 350 days a year. Gotta take care of them dogs.
WESCO Jobmaster. Made in the USA. They seem to last forever and they can be rebuilt, if needed.
I like Redwings and Danners. Redwings out last the Danners, but Danners are warmer and more comfortable.

Both have American and Chinese made boots. Pay attention if buying
Georgia loggers that look similar to the Danners. These boots are strong as hell. The Goretex is nice and keeps feet warm and dry..
White's
keen.........and my brother works for red wing ........then again I got feet like a duck....
I was issued Redwing's steel toes when I got here in the Samsung yard in Korea and they have been fine. I am in them 10+ hrs a day and they just work. No idea what model they are, where they were made or how long they will last as they are reissued as needed.
I have the loggers from Carolina have worn for work every day past years .3rd set of laces made in the USA.Time for a new pair .they have been good boots and rebuildable.
I have a pair of Red Wing work boots that I can wear all day long - and when I take them off at night, my feet feel just as good as when I first put them on.
Keen sandals, but then I don't 'work' anymore. laugh
i wear nothing but merrel shoes and hikers. best shoes i ever owned
Keens.. I don't care where they're made. Good boots..
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Redwing Pecos

what he said.....been wearing them since before they started calling them Pecos...
Red Wings are one of my favorites but there is something they use in their leather that makes my feet break out in a rash and itch like all hell! I have tried switching back to them several times over the years and get the same damn results every time.
I love Rockports since my mom has worked for them for years. They are super comfortable, but I wear them out fast. I'm trying to stockpile them as she is about to retire.
RickyBobby. The best pair of boots i've found that are light, non steel toe and comfortable are a pair of Altima desert combat boots. They are made in USA and cost me 50 bucks new. They have lasted well, and i would definitely buy another pair
Wesco. I've used lots of Red Wings (which are increasingly Chinese-made) and think they're WAYYY overrated. Wesco (as well as White's) beat the f*ck out of anything Red Wing.
I have problems with my feet and ankles from playing year around sports when I was young. I have wore all kinds of boots but the brand that I wear now and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever wore is Georgia Boots. They make all kinds of boots. They are actually more comfortable than my sneakers and I buy very expensive sneakers for the support. I love my Georgia boots. Rocky boots has bought the company and I hope Rocky does not ruin Georgia boots. Good luck with your choice.
IMO Georgia was already ruined years ago...
I started wearing the wellington style pull-ons about 15 years ago, loved them. Waterproof, comfort core, more comfortable than slippers, concrete all day. Usually got two years out of a pair,
wearing 7 days a week.

Loved them so much I put up with the sole problems they had for a couple years, coming apart early. Watched the same boots climb in price from 60-something to over 175. Now they dropped that model, can get comfort core OR waterproof, but I can't find the old model that had both. And China made.

Said phug 'em, went with a pair of Justins, only thing I could find that didn't look totally glued together like a pair of sneakers. Felt good in the store, but 170 pissed away, so bad I can't wear 'em after a few weeks.

Don't like laces, ride MC as primary transport year round,
but gotta find something else!
White's packers
Wesco Boss for riding the motorcycle
Boulet(Canadian) makes a decent boot for a good price.

I wear them 9 months out of the year, Schnee's during the chilly months.
Been a few years since I had a need for them, but I used to swear by Rocky 9.11 boots. They were light, never had to be broken in, and lasted for years.
I like Red Wing's 875 and Pecos boots but also have a pair of Danner Rain Forest that are just about indestructible.
The Rain Forest's are allot more boot than I need since I retired but I still wear a pair of Pecos boots when I don't have my slippers on.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Redwing Pecos

what he said.....been wearing them since before they started calling them Pecos...

+2 --- Got them on right now

I still have a pair of the original (pre-Walmart) Herman Survivors hunting boots - an Icon!
Double H Wellingtons.

http://www.doublehboots.com/Product?stockNo=3720

Best ever...

[Linked Image]
for lightweight boots I vote for Keen. For a solid workboot, I have been using the Cabelas logger in brown. Great fit and they last a long time.
Without a doubt my favorite are the 2 pairs of USA made Redwing boots. I have a non-insulated steel for pair and an insulated non-steel toe pair. Both are the most comfortable footwear I have of any kind.

I wear a size 9EEE, and the RW's fit great.
whites packers and farmer/ranchers and I've been enjoying cabelas meindls perfekt romeo slip ons.
Still waiting for Steelie to weigh in smile
I wear them all of the time.
Light weight and i don't feel bad if they get messed up.
Have some from Rocky that have Goretex in them and in the cold/wet they are warm and dry.
Best work boots I ever had were the Vietnam era combat boots I had when I left the service back in the mid seventies...half leather half canvas with drain vents.
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I have a heck of a time finding something I'm happy with! I can be picky about stuff like this though. Can't be heavy. They gotta last more than 6 - 8 months. My feet/skin gotta agree with them otherwise I get a skin rash. Non-steel toe. I prefer waterproof. I also prefer American made. I've tried lots of them in my young (20yr) working career. What say you?

Danner, RedWing, and Chippewa all have a good selection of boots made in the USA. If you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro, or any other "Big Box" type outdoors store anywhere near you, they typically have huge selections of boots. Also, try to find a men's shoe, or "boot" specific store if you can, and that's your opportunity to try a bunch on.

Here's a pair that took a long time to wear out: http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/8-inch-boots/chippewa-29416/
I was given a different pair of work boots as a replacement, and when I wear those out, I'll return to the Chippewa's.

If you don't need steel toe (that's nice) and you're on you feet a lot, Merrell Boots are VERY comfortable. I don't think any are made in the USA, but I can vouch for their comfort.

These from Ecco are very comfortable, but foreign made: http://us.shop.ecco.com/men-classic...?dwvar_522054_color=58213#cgid=men-boots

I've personally have or had Merrell's, Ecco's, Chippewa's, and RedWing's. Merrell's are consistently the most comfortable. All my years on the Ambulance, my fire boots were Chippewa's, and they were outstanding quality boots. I put a gel insert inside the Chippewa's and they were awesome.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Best work boots I ever had were the Vietnam era combat boots I had when I left the service back in the mid seventies...half leather half canvas with drain vents.
Those were decent back in the day, but boots have come a long way since then.
Wesco
This thread is remarkably timely for me. Just yesterday I decided it is time to buy some new work boots. Today I bought new Red Wing work boots due to the favorable reviews here and my previous positive experience with them. The boots I bought were among the very few in the store that were made in USA. Thanks, guys!
no steel toes. Sorry cant' help ya there.
WESCO or Whites, nothing else mentioned here comes close, and I have had Danner loggers (smoke jumpers) and Red Wings logger boots.
Thorogoods hands down. Most of their boots are USA made. Im on concrete all day long most days so i wear their wedge sold, and nothing is more comfortable
© 24hourcampfire