Home
Posted By: krp I collect... fill in the blank... - 10/18/14
For me it's coleman stoves and lanterns, vintage usa cast iron, vintage USA knifes with a few german, 50s toasters, coffee pots, old Disston saws. That's just my garage stuff.

I didn't really mean to collect them but they are things I use and if I see one for a couple bucks I can't resist.

Cleaning the garage I had this stuff scattered everywhere, including the old trailer I unloaded after getting another one.

When I organized it... HOLY Crap!

What do you collect intentionally or unintentionally?

Kent

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing but heads and horns off critters I shot.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nothing but heads and horns off critters I shot.

Unfortunate to say, I didn't keep any of my horns and stuff till later in life. The folks I grew up with just chucked the heads out by the corrals and the dogs dragged them off to chew on... I remember some huge Kaibab and Dove creek heads my uncles and cousins killed...

My first deer was a nice 4X muley. My friend was talking about it when we were elk hunting last month. He said, 'that was a big old buck, and the one I missed was bigger, it still haunts me 40 years later'... I never kept that rack and it haunts me now.

Kent
DUST! Unintended of course.
Savage 1899's
Old clothes irons with wooden handles (sadd irons)
Vinegar cruets
Brass horse bells
I must be wierd
I collect revolvers:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/rdinak/12-3/1_zpsfe9c946b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/Relic_123/629%20617%2034/DSCN0840.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/Relic_123/IMG_3720.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/Relic_123/IMG_3721.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/Relic_123/IMG_3717.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/Relic_123/IMG_3679.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/gdiiifb/DSCN0457_zpsa36400d9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/gdiiifb/Pre%2029/DSCN0416_zpsd4b05f2e.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/gdiiifb/DSCN0400_zps27889d58.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/gdiiifb/DSCN0379_zpsb2772723.jpg[/img]
If'n the original poster decides he wants to let go of a cast iron dutch oven for a few bucks, please give a holler. Would like one and the new ones look like crap. Wouldn't mind finding an old Griswold or comparable DO.
I collect time off work, cute kid photos (hard not to with my two daughters), good memories, and according to my wife, less hair on my head.
Kent
I have friend who collects Coleman lanterns. He strives for one of each year and or model, I think in some cases he had more than one may be you two need to get together and se if you can help each other complete your collections. PM me if interested
give me your E-mail and if he is interested I will have him contact you. Cheers NC
P.S. Do you have any wood augers in the 2-3inch diameter?
Belly Button Lint.
Very nice revolver collection.
coleman stoves

Have you seen the prices they are getting for those on fleabay?
Used em for many years, and always had the 2 foot flame until they warmed up grin
Kent - cool things you gather, and nice examples there. Thanks.

Several 52-72 trucks (some big - mostly Chev/GMC) have collected me, as have some blue collar rifles.

I love gathering up wonderful people as close friends. Have found precious few - and they surely are precious.
Miocene shark teeth. It IS part of my job, too, but I still do it on my own.
Originally Posted by JonS
If'n the original poster decides he wants to let go of a cast iron dutch oven for a few bucks, please give a holler. Would like one and the new ones look like crap. Wouldn't mind finding an old Griswold or comparable DO.
I collect time off work, cute kid photos (hard not to with my two daughters), good memories, and according to my wife, less hair on my head.

Unfortunately my cast iron and carbon knives in the cardboard box are untouchable.

As far a dutchovens, the lodge are the best for cooking. I do have an old Wagner titetop made with the griswold molds after they merged. A griswold footed DO will cost 300.00 bucks if you could find one.

Kent
Originally Posted by northcountry
Kent
I have friend who collects Coleman lanterns. He strives for one of each year and or model, I think in some cases he had more than one may be you two need to get together and se if you can help each other complete your collections. PM me if interested
give me your E-mail and if he is interested I will have him contact you. Cheers NC
P.S. Do you have any wood augers in the 2-3inch diameter?

I have three green pumpups... 220F, 220H, 220J, fairly common but if he needs one That's fine with me. I just use them and don't need that many. I have a red 200A but that one I'm keeping.

No augers, sorry.

Kent
Originally Posted by CCCC

Several 52-72 trucks (some big - mostly Chev/GMC) have collected me, as have some blue collar rifles.

I love gathering up wonderful people as close friends. Have found precious few - and they surely are precious.

Yes you do have nice trucks... friends, I'm not so sure about...

Kent
$100 bills.
Memories
Brass of various chamberings which I subsequently turn into ammunition. Hafta be ready.
Nice revolver collection. Some real treasures.
Originally Posted by CCCC

you really didn't expect not to get carded on that, did You? SEVERAL TRUCKS? That is worth at least ten hail mary's in confession.
what i don't understand is that clean garage, my stuff is scattered all over the place.
I don't collect anything, but I have accumulated a lot of old kitchen stuff, including boxes full of vintage Pyrex Flameware.
Scottie motif stuff, knives, guns, camping equipment..........I stash away a lot of junk. laugh
Coyote art. Paintings, drawings, sculptures etc. Rather hard to find because every body does wolves and such. Here are a couple.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The second one is by a local artist of a local area. It's all covered by apple orchards now. It's called "Shifting Elements"
Hi
I have tried to collect T.C. Contender barrels. Just factory chambered barrels, no custom. I am missing just one, a 10 inch, oct. in 17 Hornet. I have never, even seen one. I do have other 17s but not a Hornet. Then other stuff snuck in T.C. knifes, cartridge wheels, and banners. I do have K-Hornets, but no just Hornet.
It is fun to look!
jim
single shot rifles, of various flavors...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And more or less, 1911's in various flavors:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

<=== Zippo Lighters.
Church keys (bottle openers): old ones from current breweries, and old ones from defunct breweries. Screw mount Leica camera stuff. Morgan silver dollars. Indian arrow heads (but only those I find myself).
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Memories

Priceless..
Originally Posted by krp
For me it's coleman stoves and lanterns, vintage usa cast iron, vintage USA knifes with a few german, 50s toasters, coffee pots, old Disston saws. That's just my garage stuff.

I didn't really mean to collect them but they are things I use and if I see one for a couple bucks I can't resist.

Got some of that happening in the garage too, if my garage was as organized as yours I'd probably realize how bad it really was!

Your last sentence sums it up for me, too.

Although I just bought a propane stove with 20k BTU burners, I might throw rocks at my Coleman Stoves now. frown

Sycamore
Hand powered ice crushers.
Around my place if I have two of anything its a collection.
Telephone insulators and Beer cans
Paychecks and tax bills.
Memories

I used to but now days I can't remember what the memories were.
Stuff.
Lee Loaders
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Geeze Kent, you made me realize I also collect Coleman lanterns and cast iron even if I don't mean to.

Went and looked in the basement and found 6 lanterns. Probably others in the garage or shed.

Cast iron is everywhere.

I guess what I really collect is "stuff", most of which is junk.

Old steel traps.
If I ever get to the back of my 25X40 shop -

I'll let you know! (seems to be a bit of everything)
After organizing some ammo in a couple drawers, I realize I have become somewhat of an ammo collector.

Spent a little time explaining to my son why it's handy to have so much. Hate to be beholden to someone or something if the supply dries up over night.

I'd be embarrassed to say how many rounds of 22 I have. Scared to count the 223 and 9mm as well.

Really need to start reloading and then I'm afraid of how I might get with components.
Daughters, step daughters, god-daughters, grand daughters and God grand daughters.
When I'm not reponding to what ever problem one or the other has discovered, created or imagined, I collect S&W model 25, 625 in 45 Colt and Winchester 95s in 30-06.

I tried collecting wives but that turmed out to be expensive.

Jim
Creek Chub Pikie Minnows. Ambassadeur baitcasting reels. .22 ammo. (Just in case, but not from the gougers, and I don't resell it for profit.) Wheat pennies.
I don't really collect them, they just keep following me home.

Fishing rods, over 100 of 'em !!

[Linked Image]

Casting, trolling (mostly), spinning, a couple of fly rods, and some for ice fishing.

I keep them on the barn walls, in the boat, and leaning in a lot of corners.

My favorites are Okuma Blue Diamond trolling rods, Diawa Saltist line counter reels with a spool full of 20# Fireline (and maybe some lead line) for walleye trolling on Erie. I have ten of those in different sizes.

Here's my Grandson with his first limit from this summer.

[Linked Image]
Krp: I collect (in order of preference/importance to me):

Rifles
pistols
rare Hunting books
knives
shed horns (Antelope) and antlers
binoculars
spotting scopes
arrowheads and scrapers
old 22 rimfire cartridge boxes
old medicine bottles (snake oil/opiates)
fossils
animal skulls
coolers
old phone/electric pole insulators
hand crank phones
petrified wood

Needless to say the VarmintWife is about to the end of her rope with me!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Kent, what's that old hand meat grinder you got there?
only thing i collect just for fun is old powder measures. most of mine are belding & mull. i gave up collecting knives a few years ago.

you lantern collecters got any yellow colmans?
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Kent, what's that old hand meat grinder you got there?

It's a universal. I've never tried it, we have am electric grinder at dad's barn where we butcher. I should take out a couple pounds of elk and see if it will grind breakfast sausage.

Kent
Sheet music, lots and lots of sheet music...I kind of wish I could just put it all on a kindle, it's so much of a pain to take when I move.

Used to collect Japanese swords, and French Rapiers/small swords but sold them all when I went back to get my grad degree. Wish I had one or two back now.

Originally Posted by gophergunner
Creek Chub Pikie Minnows. Ambassadeur baitcasting reels. .22 ammo. (Just in case, but not from the gougers, and I don't resell it for profit.) Wheat pennies.

I have some old 50s tackle and tackle box, some neat stuff.

Kent

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BGunn
I don't really collect them, they just keep following me home.

Fishing rods, over 100 of 'em !!

[Linked Image]

Casting, trolling (mostly), spinning, a couple of fly rods, and some for ice fishing.

I keep them on the barn walls, in the boat, and leaning in a lot of corners.

My favorites are Okuma Blue Diamond trolling rods, Diawa Saltist line counter reels with a spool full of 20# Fireline (and maybe some lead line) for walleye trolling on Erie. I have ten of those in different sizes.

Here's my Grandson with his first limit from this summer.

[Linked Image]

Now that's a winner!

Kent
Old Coleman lanterns, pocket knives made in the U.S., fenwick fishing rods & ambassaduer 1600 and 3600 reels and old cardnal spinning reels. Just about anything old, especially old fishing gear. I'm just old enuff to remember when lots of stuff was made here and made well. I have to many boats, tiller out boards and canoes and layout boats and poke boat. I also never trade a car, I just keep buying new ones. I have 4 vehicles, a jeep, truck, honda element and wifes nissan.

.22 rifles are a fetish as are semi auto shotguns and old cast iron skillets. I collect mounted birds too but that is pricey. I will get my first pheasant back form Iowa in about 3 weeks. I have many ducks of many species but unfortunately all of them have been killed in Tn.
Stone points.
Knife steel, assorted knife handle material, guard material,grinders,knifemaking magazines and books.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Old Coleman lanterns, pocket knives made in the U.S., fenwick fishing rods & ambassaduer 1600 and 3600 reels and old cardnal spinning reels. Just about anything old, especially old fishing gear. I'm just old enuff to remember when lots of stuff was made here and made well. I have to many boats, tiller out boards and canoes and layout boats and poke boat. I also never trade a car, I just keep buying new ones. I have 4 vehicles, a jeep, truck, honda element and wifes nissan.

.22 rifles are a fetish as are semi auto shotguns and old cast iron skillets. I collect mounted birds too but that is pricey. I will get my first pheasant back form Iowa in about 3 weeks. I have many ducks of many species but unfortunately all of them have been killed in Tn.

I also like anything old usa made. Pans, tools, utensils, electric cookware with cloth cords. And I use it all.

Kent
Not a collector, I've got too many hobbies and interests to have focused on one paticular item, or items.

I guess it would be fair to say I've collected a little bit of everything, though my wife would likely say more than a little bit wink
Memories

Yup. "Stuff" means nothing to me.
Old stuff carries it's own memories. Reminds me of my grandparents, my aunts and uncles, my mother, guys that taught me the outdoors.

I use the same stuff building memories with my granddaughter. She'll remember the old hammer and old pan that cooked her smallmouth for lunch today. She'll remember the smell of whitegas camping... she'll remember her fishing with an old zebco rod and reel her mother used when she was little.

Memories are all that's left when you're gone.... except someone has to pick up your dirty underwear where you last left them.

Hopefully there's someone that sees, smells or hears something that triggers a memory... and say's,' I remember...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hurricanes don't let you keep "old stuff". That's how you realize it doesn't matter.
Losing a child and looking at all their stuff that meant so much to them stacked in the garage is even more real on how much stuff doesn't matter.

This thread isn't about what matters, it's about what you accumulate beyond just for normal use because you just like it.

Kent
books on hunting and shooting....mainly in Africa and Asia....also sorta a big bore/African classics cartridge(really need a 404 Jeffery and 318 WR) collector as well as minerals and gemstones though as a bit of a FU to my ex i sent my precious stone collection to a friends daughter who was having a rough go of it during his divorce which was going on at the same time, figured she could use the distraction better than the wife and i and i just kept my favorites and will start over whenever im settled....my buddy said he should have had a camera ready when she opened the box grin
Savage 99s, Savage Arms memorabilia, vintage ammo in mostly Savage calibers
Guns....John Deere toys. 4 inch crescent wrenches..great key chain fob..

Loved Creek Chub Ding Bats. Had a bunch and they were all stolen. Think all I have is one now. All my old baits were stolenover 25 years ago. Just never had the desire to replace them.
I like old hunting rifles. Looking through a few I've got out, I evidently really like those that are hard to find ammo for and don't shoot too good.
Anything that catches my eye. I have too many 28 gauge shotguns, pocket knives, Martin guitars, five string banjos, books magazines and reloading tools.

I lost a complete Gun Digest Collection to a fire 16 years ago plus other books, shotguns, rifles and musical instruments, but have regained more stuff than I lost.
i collect junk i don't really need - right now but might some day - usually

kinda funny - buy stuff at yard//garage sales- know its a great item/tool- sits in shed for 4-5 yrs and then really need one - great to know its somewhere even if it takes a day to find it - case in point - faucet in sink leaked

that tool with long handle and floppy wrench jaw head - worked great and took no time - instead of trying to get a hand wrench or something to reach way up there to tighten the faucet hoses - now i'll probably won't need it for another 4-5 yrs.

come on kent - a thin fin shad - what happened to the fish frying pan ?

yep good/great memories can't/shouldn't be forgotten

if some want to take'm(collections) with you to the deep 6 - i know some who need 3-4 plots!

Originally Posted by krp
Losing a child and looking at all their stuff that meant so much to them stacked in the garage is even more real on how much stuff doesn't matter.

This thread isn't about what matters, it's about what you accumulate beyond just for normal use because you just like it.

Kent

Kent, i take an ol double barrel out first day of dove season, and a set of binnocs given to me, and will stop by a favorite camping spot next week. All connected to my son. It's been over ten years now, and losing him never got any easier, really.
My house up in prescott where a daughter is living is full of about a 100 years of "junk" and i can look at every piece and remember the person. It's kind of like a shrine to me. I would say burn it after i am gone, but the daughter is the same way i am, and i will be part of the collection too. By the way, there are cast iron skillets, and coleman stoves all over the place too.
And there you go posting pictures of that fish, and i got to clean the slobber off the keyboard.
I collect old glass bottles. Every year when I'm duck hunting I keep my eyes peeled for old glass. I take it home clean the mud out of it and write a note of where I found it who I was hunting with and a few details of the hunt. I put the note in the bottle and set them on top of my kitchen cabinets.

The first bottle I ever found was a old whiskey bottle while my son and me were building brush piles to crappie fish when the lake rises in the spring. He was about 5 years old then.
Old USA made Johnson spincast reels.
Cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. Both enameled and bare cast iron. It is all I use to cook with.

While cooking with 90 year old skillets, it is hard to imagine the meals the pan cooked, who used it when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and the day I was born. Helps to remember this life is short, so make good choices and leave good tracks.
Originally Posted by azcoues

come on kent - a thin fin shad - what happened to the fish frying pan ?

That's the pan you found for me... that tackle box is full of stuff for fishing up north, pike and such. I should find a collector who would appreciate it.

Kent
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent, i take an ol double barrel out first day of dove season, and a set of binnocs given to me, and will stop by a favorite camping spot next week. All connected to my son. It's been over ten years now, and losing him never got any easier, really.
My house up in prescott where a daughter is living is full of about a 100 years of "junk" and i can look at every piece and remember the person. It's kind of like a shrine to me. I would say burn it after i am gone, but the daughter is the same way i am, and i will be part of the collection too. By the way, there are cast iron skillets, and coleman stoves all over the place too.
And there you go posting pictures of that fish, and i got to clean the slobber off the keyboard.

I've whittled my son's stuff down to his his craftsman tools, his concrete tools we used, his free weights and some parts for his GTO he totaled.

Gave away a crap load of stuff to his friends and cousins.

I wear his tool pouch on the jobsite...

Kent
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Loved Creek Chub Ding Bats. Had a bunch and they were all stolen. Think all I have is one now. All my old baits were stolenover 25 years ago. Just never had the desire to replace them.

Gopher!!! Picked up a Ding Bat yesterday. First one I e seen in a while! Big tackle box came in yesterday. Had 3 Ding Bats in it. Picked out the best one!

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire