Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Hurt?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Hell yes! Like a Mofo!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Yes, but only when you kick a football with it
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Yup. It hurt. Dropped an old fashioned clay weight on my little toe on the left foot when I was thirteen years old. I was barefoot at the time. Broke the toe, turned it sideways and it is like that today.

Ed
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
No, it felt great.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
broke big toe first section into 4 pieces. it hurt
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
broke mine when I was 8, running down some open-back steps and somehow got my foot turned and between the steps. turned all kinds of interesting colors and since I could walk on it no one believed it was broken.

doctor did though lol
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I was in high school when a cow stepped on my foot and turned, giving my middle toe a good twist. It smarted a bit. The doc taped it to the next toe but that hurt a lot worse than just leaving it alone. I have a lump in the bone that's been there for 50 years without any problems.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
A couple of times. Once while racing a dirt bike and jammed my foot under the brake pedal and a large rock. Dropped a small anvil on my foot wearing tennis shoes the other time.

Did it hurt? Not as much as a kidney stone but enough that I was wishing my mom and dad hadn't met, at least for the first hour or so.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Yup, I'm a slow learner also. Broke several times. Hurt every time..
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I broke mine the morning of a planned deer hunt way back in the early 1980s. Had to cancel it. Was supposed to meet a coworker who was taking his two boys to their deer camp for a few days and invited me to join them. Really pissed me off.

Funny thing was that our boss got wind of our plans to call in sick to go deer hunting and told us that if we didn't show up for work we were fired. He didn't show up and was fired. I showed up with a broken toe, because I knew if I called in and said I broke my toe, I'd be fired for going deer hunting even if I didn't. I had to cut the toe area out of one of an old pair of sneakers because that was the only way my swollen broken toe would fit in any kind of footwear. Boss gave me some funny looks because of that.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Hurt?

It made my eyes water it stung so bad... grin I had poured some candy corn in the trough & was busy milking the cow, when she shifted her feet (& weight) straight down on my big toe...I was wearing tennis shoes & when the weight shifted I heard 3-4 snaps. That sonofabitch hurt for a couple months.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Hurt?

I'd rather nail my nuts to my knees, while giving birth to a porcupine.

After breaking mine, the next day I was a foreman on a job renovating a High school. LOTS of walking.
On the job I earned the nick-name "Step an 1/2".
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
YES ! cry
Posted By: badger Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I managed to break four at the same time. Running WOT from my dog when I was about 12 and kicked the step, barefoot of course. Broke all but my big toe on my right foot. It still hurts when I think about it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Hurt?

No more than pulling your teeth w/o Novocain.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I broke a couple during a little disagreement with another guy long ago. And he said it hurt plenty. I laughed at him. whistle
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope this finds you folks doing well.

I believe I broke the big toe on my left foot while cornering on a motorcycle when I was about 14 and yes while it was conspicuously uncomfortable it wasn't as bad as when I'd broken my arm a couple years previous to that.

When I was 25 on my first day on a new job at the cabinet shop I worked at for the next 26 years more or less I dropped a sheet of 3/4" mdf on the same toe.

So that hurt as well, but significantly less than the previous melees I'd put my body through. So really judged on that scale it was a mild discomfort and I worked most of the rest of the day until going to the hospital where they confirmed it was crushed and weren't going to do anything about it.

While I'm not anxious to do it again anytime soon wabigoon, I've been in far more intense discomfort than either time I broke my toe - but that's the dubious position one sometimes finds oneself in sometimes is it not? wink

All the best to you folks this weekend wabigoon.

Dwayne

Posted By: laker Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Id rather break my toes than break my nose and reset it myself more than once.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I broke the little toe on my left foot years ago at work; I never knew how I did it, had no recollection of doing anything that could have broken a toe. When I got home, I took off my shoes and it was turning purple and swelling. THEN it started hurting! It healed back crooked with a protrusion on the outside. It was very odd, as usually an impact strong enough to break a bone and you WILL know it.
Posted By: Downstream Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Broke one yesterday. Hurt like blazes. Would not believe it was broken at first, so I walked and climbed ladders all day working thinkin I would just tough it out. Last night came in and took off boot to find multi colored foot and crooked second toe. Gently pulled it straight and taped it to one next to it. Spent night with it propped up high and today was on light duty. Never a good time to break a toe. Hurts like heck every time.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Broke my little toe on my left foot in 07

90� strait out from my foot had to have it set at the ER

Hurt? Yes
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Downstream Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Ha! That's the look I'm sportin too. I got a touch more blue with mine.
Posted By: Paladin Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14

I've broken several over the years and they all hurt enough that I never wanted a do-over.

Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Yep. Broke my big toe about 45 seconds in to a 3 round bout. Theres a treat for you. Pain isn't bad but sure screws with your balance.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I've broke both of my big toes at different times as well as broke and reset my nose a couple of times after being young and dumb.

I'll take 10 broken noses to a broken toe any day. I don't have to walk on my nose...... $0.02
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Extremely! Especially if you try to curl your toes back under your foot.

I've done it twice. Once was on one of those $%#-%^#%$@ wheels on a bed frame. The other time was in high school. Some field hockey sticks had appeared from somewhere and our coach split us into two teams and armed us. The ball came out of the madding crowd. I had been hanging around the fringe of the mayhem, hoping to at some point in the future father a child, and it came directly toward me. I took off, shoving it along it front of me. Another player (could have been a teammate for all we knew about the game) couldn't catch me, so he just swung his club down in front of me, hitting me in the big toe.
Posted By: looper Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I've broken every last one of mine. The first time I was 6 and helping my dad take apart a brick fireplace on our porch. I was loading the bricks on my little wagon and dropped one right on my big toe. Snapped it clean in two. It hurt. I cried.

Over the next 20 years, I managed to break, dislocate, and otherwise mangle the rest of them. Motorcycles, both dirt and street, claimed a few. Horses and cows claimed a few more.

A friend of mine broke my left little toe by throwing a paddle into johnboat I was standing in. The bad thing about that one was that I had broken my right little toe the day before while wading in a river. I was not happy.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
First time was when I was a freshman in high school. Set the St Louis County half mile record four days later. It hurt when I broke but it really hurt after the race.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Originally Posted by Scott F
First time was when I was a freshman in high school. Set the St Louis County half mile record four days later. It hurt when I broke but it really hurt after the race.

Dang! That's tough now! And just imagine how fast you would have been without a broken toe wink
Posted By: milespatton Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I have broken a couple but pulling the nail off of one hurts like Hell too. miles
I broke my big toe in 2003!!!!!! It still hurts sometimes. It is also my Built in weather predictor, When my Toe starts Hurting expect cold and rainy weather. smirk
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
I slipped on some steps about a month ago and tweaked my left pinkie toe. Not sure I broke it, but I was able to bend it sideways at the second joint. I taped it to the second toe and it seemed to be getting better, so I untaped it and promptly kicked one of my work boots, re-injuring it and here I sit with it still taped up and tender.

I broke the same toe when I was 17 and going on vacation. It was miserable for a few days until the swelling went down and I could get a shoe on. The colors were spectacular.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Broke my left toe in Iraq when a tow bar from a broke down HMMWV was dropped on it. Toenail is still messed up!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Originally Posted by Downstream
Ha! That's the look I'm sportin too. I got a touch more blue with mine.

My son did me in trying to get on a tube in the lazy river at Seaworld San Antonio. tube flipped over......I flipped over......son flipped over.....I saw my glasses drifting away. My toe was the last thing I had on my mind.....LOL.

Posted By: rem141r Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
hurts like hell. unreal how much it can hurt. radiates half way up my calf and throbs.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/19/14
Hurt?

Yep
Posted By: KMS Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/20/14
Yep. Working on an old heavy side by side barefooted once. Dropped it butt plate first on my big toe. Shattered that toe. Swelled up like a plumb.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/20/14
Broke my right big toe a couple of years ago. Dog had cornered a big possum and I went on to the fray to get the dog and the possum came after me. I kicked at the possum and hit a big rock instead. Serious pain. Picked up another rock and smashed the possums head. End of toe was split open and bleeding. Had to go to ER.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/20/14
Hurt?

Its does tend to smart somewhat....
Posted By: goalie Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/20/14
Kinda depends on what else you broke at the time you broke the toe.

I had my big to broken when it was run over by a bariatric bed while trying to transfer to an ICU in a hurry. That hurt.

I broke a few toes in a rock climbing accident where I also broke my back. Those toes didn't hurt much at all.
Posted By: krupp Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/20/14
Broke my big toe on my right foot in 2011.
9 Cortizone shots and the quack trying reset it for 1 hour and I still have problems with it to this day.
My second toe is longer than my big toe, was reaching for the ground on a night, combat equipment jump on Sicily drop zone at Ft. Bragg and stuck my foot straight down and hard then piled in right on the hard packed dirt runway.

Said toe turned about the whole spectrum of blue over the next week or so and hurt like crazy, of course I never went and had it looked at and PT pretty well sucked trying to run on it. I took that white medical tape and wrapped it to my big toe.

Mike

Posted By: stanimal Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Hurt?

Yes, but didn't hurt nearly as bad as when I severed part of all 5 left toes at once. Lost big toe between knuckle and nail, the next two at the knuckle, and essentially all of the smallest two in one shot. 20+ years back and still have some fun pains at times with that one ...

I've used stories like "lost them on Everest", "shark attack", "gator", etc. but the boring truth is that they were severed when a 1000 pound steel furnace door fell from over my head and landed on my left foot. Took them about 3.5 hours to remove my steel toed shoes stitch by stitch. Actually quite thankful to only be missing some toes at this point and still able to do the things I want to do. A little time in a wheel chair, much more on crutches and learning balance, and now I have an excuse for why I never could jump that well smile
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Pretty sure I broke my little toe by running a pallet jack over it

[Linked Image]

Hurt a fair bit for awhile, though never went to the dock and just hobbled around until it felt better. It's a bit crooked which leads me to believe I broke it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Should have followed Ben Agajanian's path and become a place kicker. smile
Posted By: eyeball Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Two toes and the hand bone behind my right little finger. I seem to remember they hurt pretty good at the time.
Posted By: GhettoSportsman Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
broke the little toe on the left foot 45 years ago! It's still broke! lol
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Should have followed Ben Agajanian's path and become a place kicker. smile

Didn't think about that at the time but not a bad idea ... smile
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Years ago when I was about 13 I had a lawn jart go through my shoe and half way through my big toe. Does that count?
Sounds painful to me ...
Posted By: Snorkel Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Younger and dumber, I dropped a full keg of beer off of my shoulder onto the toes of my right foot. I tried to walk it off but was leaving blood spots on the floor. When I pulled my boot off, my big toe and the next two were mangled. Went to the ER, lost the toenails off all three and came home with about 50 or so stitches. I couldn't get a shoe or boot on for three weeks.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Originally Posted by Snorkel
Younger and dumber, I dropped a full keg of beer off of my shoulder onto the toes of my right foot. I tried to walk it off but was leaving blood spots on the floor. When I pulled my boot off, my big toe and the next two were mangled. Went to the ER, lost the toenails off all three and came home with about 50 or so stitches. I couldn't get a shoe or boot on for three weeks.

Holy Socks,

We might have a winner here eek
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Years ago when I was about 13 I had a lawn jart go through my shoe and half way through my big toe. Does that count?

Sorry, it only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. wink
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Originally Posted by BGunn
Originally Posted by Snorkel

Holy Socks,

We might have a winner here eek

'least you had the beer to get you through those 3 weeks, right? grin
Posted By: pal Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
Couldn't remember how I got in this position, laying on the ground. Had I been knocked out? The guy was standing over me with a gun, taking his time. What did I have to lose? Gathering all my strength, I kicked at his nuts as hard as I possibly could.

And woke up in a world of pain, big toe broken from where I had kicked the bulkhead next to my bunk. blush sick

Broke the other big toe dropping some heavy machinery on it. That one didn't hurt as bad because the broken ankle hurt worse.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ever break a toe? - 10/21/14
I broke the little toe on my right foot when I was about 6 years old!
It hurt for months as I did not tell my parents I had been running in the house and caught it around the wrought iron leg of a 1950's style dining room chair.
To this day that toe lies atop the next toe to the left (the ring finger toe?).
My right foot has been kind of a jinx over the years as I was bitten on the right foot by a rattlesnake, then two years later a spider bit my right big toe causing much pain and loss of toe nail, about twenty years ago I dropped a Hale Pump (95 pounds!) onto that foot crushing a nerve causing four toes to go numb for over a year and it seems I have rolled that foot several times while Hunting or running playing sports causing spraining of the ankle.
Never had any trouble with the left foot or my left toes!
One of the foot Doctors who treated me for later injuries noticed the broken toe and X-rayed it concluding it had "healed wrong" and he could re-break it and re-set it and it would heal correctly once in a cast.
Remembering the pain from the childhood toe breaking - I opted out of that remedy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Ever break a toe? - 11/01/14
Yes I have. This year in Florida. Hit a curb walking in from the beach. Hitting it wasn't so bed, but pulling it to straighten it out was a bear.
© 24hourcampfire