Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Posted By: jpb Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
That wus braw, mate.

I am reminded of Winston Churchill's statement that "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." and I am very glad to see that Mr. Vickers was back on the job right away with no apparent need for trauma counseling.

In fact, I hope he went home to his family and friends for a nice celebration. For sure, the man will never have to pay for his own drinks if he ever goes to a bar.

Good show, Sargeant-at-Arms!

John
A good man should never be overly troubled for stopping a bad man.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Classy. He did well.
Maybe our Congress could learn a thing or six from our Northern neighbors. They get it.
Posted By: g5m Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Thanks for posting that. He did a fine job and likely saved a number of people's lives.
jpb;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you keeping warm and well.

Of course there's been a lot of airplay about Mr. Vickers up here, but this news story I found on another gun site up here puts it into sharp focus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ended-the-attack-on-parliament-1.2812802

He was informed of the situation, armed himself, moved toward the threat and eliminated it. cool

My favorite part of the article:

"After identifying himself to gain entry to the room, Vickers strode to the microphone at the front of the room and explained what had happened:

"I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased," he said.

According to sources, the entire room erupted in cheers, as Vickers left to continue to secure the grounds."

As they noted on the other site, he'll never have to buy another drink again in Canada for sure and then some.

Apparently he was a career RCMP officer and did a fair stretch up north. I have the privilege of knowing some retired members of that age group and experience - typically they're tough folks to say the least.....

Anyway thanks to my cyber friend kamo gari for posting this. To say we're proud of Mr. Kevin Vickers up here across the medicine line would be understating it to say the least.

All the best to you both this weekend gentlemen.

Dwayne
Posted By: norm99 Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
+1

norm
norm99:
Good morning to you sir!

Chris Wilcox says he knows you and hello! wink grin

I just need to find a barrel and then Chris will be getting an action from me for the latest money pit venture.

Anyway sir, have a good weekend.

Dwayne
It appears Mr. Vickers isn't subjected to the mandatory leave with pay in order to investigate the shooting, undergo grief counseling and a psych exam. Well done!
I very much agree that Mr. Vickers is a genuine hero, and saved the day. He deserves all the good things that come with being a hero.

That being said, as I was watching coverage of the event, and saw that Parliament had barricaded themselves and been reduced to breaking off flag poles for the staffs to be used as weapons.

[Linked Image]

Had this been something beyond a single rabid shooter, and been an organized terrorist attack like we have seen elsewhere in the world, those people would have been fish in a barrel. Even a very small force of Jihadists of 5-6 would have changed the outcome of this tragedy immensely.

I would hope that Canada and the rest of us learn these lessons now, before the next event like this incurs a far larger footprint.
God Bless Mr. Vickers. Great job
Posted By: ingwe Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
God Bless Mr. Vickers. Great job

+1

We can all learn something from him.
If you ever met a true hero, one of the traits they all seem to have, as does Sgt at Arms Vickers, is their humility....

you could see it was difficult for him to accept the accolades, as he probably didn't feel he deserved them, and was looking at this as he was just doing his job, and doing what he was trained to do...

his deeds were not for fame or glory.... his deeds were done by arising to the occasion and defending the lives of the legislators of Canada, by neutralizing the threat that appeared out of nowhere on their door step...

I am sure Cpl Cirrillo would have done the exact same thing, if he would have ever been given a chance...

I feel empathy for Canada for their loss and feel pride in that they have men who selflessly rise to the occasion and do what needs to be done with NO hesitation....

That is the face radical Islam needs to see..

Lets just hope Islamic Radicals, now do not target Sgt At Arms Vickers and his family...if they do, we know we are at war, within our own borders....

and its NOT work place violence, Mr President...
Posted By: n007 Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Listening to the CBC news this morning they gave more details of the shooting. Vickers hearing the gunfire grabbed his handgun and ran out into the hallway. He saw the terrorist behind a large stone pillar. He ran to the other side of the pillar within arms reach of the shooter, could see the rifle barrel sticking out from behind pillar. He dove to the floor towards the shooter on his back and shot several rounds lying on his back up into the shooter. He went back into his office reloaded in case there were other terrorists in the building, finding none, he then went to where the MP's were and made the announcement of engaging the suspect who is now deceased.
Originally Posted by n007
Listening to the CBC news this morning they gave more details of the shooting. Vickers hearing the gunfire grabbed his handgun and ran out into the hallway. He saw the terrorist behind a large stone pillar. He ran to the other side of the pillar within arms reach of the shooter, could see the rifle barrel sticking out from behind pillar. He dove to the floor towards the shooter on his back and shot several rounds lying on his back up into the shooter. He went back into his office reloaded in case there were other terrorists in the building, finding none, he then went to where the MP's were and made the announcement of engaging the suspect who is now deceased.

That's how it's done.

The man has a solid set of stones, for sure. smile
Posted By: jpb Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Originally Posted by BC30cal
jpb;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you keeping warm and well.

Apparently he was a career RCMP officer and did a fair stretch up north. I have the privilege of knowing some retired members of that age group and experience - typically they're tough folks to say the least.....

Dwayne

Thanks for the new link, Dwayne -- I had not seen that paticular one. Here is an image from that page that shows Vickers in action:

[Linked Image]

Dwayne, I know exactly what you mean about RCMP guys of that age -- lots of experience in the rough northern areas, and I know many like him from northern Ontario, Manitoba and the NWT. These guys (often just two of them at the smaller reservations) had to handle everything on their own without backup -- I remember what it was like on the reservation at Oxford House (Manitoba) for example.

Also, Vickers joined so long ago that the requirements he met were VERY high (physically and otherwise) -- in the RCMP of 3 decades ago there was no political correctness or quotas! smile

I've watched several other videos, and noticed that some of the cops were hanging back (one did so until until he saw he was on camera -- human nature I guess!). Fortunately, most other cops and soldiers did a good job of pressing forward -- and we all know which type the Sargeant-at-Arms was!

John
Sadly, internet search for details of what happened in Canada are cluttered by the tweeky Brit, Rushrill Brand, who insists on orally defecating every time he opens his mouth.
Posted By: las Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
I guess "SAA" isn't entirely a ceremonial post? smile Well done.

On another thread there was speculation about the handgun used- appears to be a SA- a Glock is my guess.

You will note he didn't fire just once and then wait to see if the bad boy falls down?
Originally Posted by las

On another thread there was speculation about the handgun used- appears to be a SA- a Glock is my guess.

You will note he didn't fire just once and then wait to see if the bad boy falls down?

Never seen a silver Glock. Regardless, it got the job done.
Posted By: mart Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
The standing ovation he received is how a hero should be recognized. I'm afraid if it had happened in our house or senate, the current administration would fall all over themselves to apologize to the muslims and there would be no accolades for the Sergeant at Arms.
Whoops - I missed the silver part- if it isn't just a reflection. In the video on TV I just noticed the shape. Whatever, it wasn't the revolver some thought.

Got the job done. smile
las;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well.

If the link works for me, this is the standard RCMP service sidearm.

[Linked Image]
I've handled one once when they first got them and if memory serves it's a DAO version. I can't recall them being as short as the one in the photo - in my mind it was perhaps an inch longer barrel, but then that's not what the evidence indicates so I'll believe my memory has failed yet again..... frown

They are 9mm too by the way and while the duty round at one time was a Winchester HP, I've no clue what it is now or what weight.

So as a career member of the RCMP, Mr. Vickers might have been given the option to purchase his service pistol or more likely was able to transfer it to his new position as Parliamentary Sargent at Arms.

Some members did purchase the Model 10's they carried when they were being phased out, but that might not be an option with the newer autos - I'm not sure either way.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. All the best to you this fall and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne
Posted By: CCCC Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
Excellent OP and thoughts, Leighton. Thanks. P
Nice job of laying a wall of hate into the bad guy.

Speed, surprise, and violence of action wins again.

Job well done SGT.
Thanks BC - in the video I saw on TV I also thought the barrel was a tad longer than in the pic you posted. Can't really tell in the pic a jpb posted...
Posted By: poboy Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/25/14
I was just reading that our own Democrat Senate SAA
brought more of a "city manager's touch to the job".
Cute ain't it?
still good men that walk this earth willing to do what's necessary

well done Sgt. Vickers, well done indeed
las;
Well sir here's another link with another Smith & Wesson that to my eye appears to be a tad longer in both grip and slide.
[Linked Image]

Now as they are both marked RCMP GRC they both must be issue arms, though again my memory thinks the most seen is the longer version.

Again hopefully that helps a bit and apologies to the folks for this side road on the thread.

In no way do I mean to diminish the actions of Mr. Vickers by talking about these details and I trust no one takes it that way.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by las

Noting that he went down to engage the gunman firing upward suggests that he was trained to do so when discharging a weapon where bystanders might be struck by errant bullets. That alone is an additional creditable feat considering his age and probably dexterity.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Duty. Honor. Courage. Hero. - 10/27/14
Outstanding, a real life hero. A man that sees a need and fulfills his duty.
© 24hourcampfire