Home
My friends, what is your favorite Halibut recipe.

Aside from deep frying or fish Taco's(burnt out on both) :)I'm wondering whats your favorite way to prepare and eat Halibut and your preferred side dish/dishes to go with Halibut..

Thanks
smile
halibut Olympia and side of fresh asparagus and corn.

really all you do is smear a gob of mayo over the top and add some spices

mom's gone or I'd ask her

it's become my favorite way to eat salmon too!
It makes a great chowder, lots of recipes on the internet.
Quick and easy:
Cut halibut into chunks and dip in ranch dressing and then roll in crushed Ritz crackers. Another variation is to dip the halibut chunks in garlic butter and roll in crushed potato chips. Either way, bake the chunks hot and fast, 500-degrees for 10min.

We grill and broil a fair amount, as well. In either case, a little olive oil on the fillets before hand helps keep the fish moist. One of my favorite seasonings is Zatarains Creole seasoning, sprinkle generously. Some seasoned breadcrumbs are a nice addition, as well.

More involved:
Slice the fillets in half or thirds to reduce thickness; they should be about 1/4 - 3/8" thick. Smear with a mixture of cream cheese and chopped green onions and roll them up. Wrap with partially cooked bacon slices (microwave for a few minutes, they should be rubbery) and hold the bacon in place with toothpicks. Bake at 350-degrees for about 20-30min, until the bacon is crispy.

I also substitute halibut chunks for shrimp and crawfish tails. It works really well in etoufee.
I like to roll it up in a foil packet with a great gob of butter, lots of garlic, some black pepper, and a couple lemon slices. I slice up some onions and put in as well. Slap it in the oven at about 350 for a while, usually I listen to hear the butter sizzling and if it is the fish is done, don't have to worry too much about over cooking it with the butter.

Me and the Mrs eat lingcod and rockfish this way as well as pike and the occasional salmon. Pretty easy and pretty good.
we eat moose that way, have always called them hobo packets

gonna have to give halibut a try like that sounds good Kid
Rub on olive oil, salt, lemon, and pepper. Grill over read charcoal in a grill basket. Do Not Overcook. For the last five minutes throw a handful of fresh thyme on the coals and cover the grill. Let the smoke build up. Grilled asparagus goes well with it.
I think Scott's got this one right smile
Cut into small (1"ish) pieces, let dry a bit. Dip in oil then roll in fine crushed crackers and sprinkle with fine grated sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 500 for around 10 min.
Parmesan encrusted halibut is hard to beat.
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

This, in a baking pan, lined with aluminum foil, baked in my toaster oven. Grated Parmesan, a little evaporated milk, garlic, salt, pepper.
Getting a bunch of limes, sweet onions, jalape�os, green chiles,fresh tomatoes, and avacado together and making halibut ceviche is never a bad idea either. I can sit with a bowl of this stuff and a giant sack of tortilla chips along with a cold beer and eat until I founder. Wife had never heard of ceviche and thought it was gross when I explained it to her, until I forced her to try it, now it gets requested all the time.
Have someone with better halibut cooking skills than me prepare it wink
Originally Posted by TheKid
I can sit with a bowl of this stuff and a giant sack of tortilla chips along with a cold beer and eat until I founder.

Flounder, y'mean?

wink
Sprinkle a mixture of Seasonal, Pepper, Powdered Garlic, Dill and Tarragon over Halibut followed by a Butter Patti, thin sliced lemon and onion. Liberally sprinkle either a good blush or white wine over halibut cover casserole and poach in an oven until done or about ten minutes per pound.

Do not over cook, cook until halibut starts to flake. This recipe works well with salmon and/or any white fish.
Put a 50-50 mix of sour cream/mayo on fillets. Cover with cheddar cheese. Bake. Pretty good.

Enchiladas are good.

I eat hali about 2x a week. Momma mixes up the recipes a bunch, but the above are my favorites.
Shag;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you well and that you've found some good halibut recipes so far.

So last summer I did some work on a good friend's rifle and in return he brought us back a cooler full of Alaskan halibut and salmon chunks.

Our family loved the change to halibut which is a rarity for us here - salmon we can get locally now and is easier to find in the grocery stores too.

Anyway after experimenting with a couple different methods of cooking halibut, this turned out to be our family favorite.

In a mixing bowl we mix:
- 2�tbs grated Parmesan
- 3tbs mayo - low fat or not didn't matter
- 3tbs lemon juice
- 3tbs chopped green onion
- pinch of salt to taste

The original recipe called for � cup of soft butter too, but that was too rich for us somehow.

Put the chunk of fish into a baking dish that's been greased and preheat the oven to 420�.

If the chunk isn't too big, then 20 minutes will work fine, but larger pieces stayed in for a half hour.

Cover the dish for the first half of the baking and then cook uncovered for the second half to brown it a bit. One could vary that too if you like it more browned, etc.

Anyway sir, hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there tonight. All the best to you this fall and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne
+1 on halibut (or rock fish) enchiladas!!! Yummm

Halibut ceviche is killer also.

Yup!

Add in some panko bread crumbs. In fact, I make up a mixture of slightly melted butter, panko and parm cheese, Coat the fish and top with very thin key lime slices before baking.

Crushed pistachios also make a great coating.
Originally Posted by tkinak
+1 on halibut (or rock fish) enchiladas!!! Yummm

Halibut ceviche is killer also.

For residents of SE AK, when it comes to dinner its:

Sitka Blacktail
King Salmon
Coho Salmon
Halibut
Prawns
Dungi Crab

repeat repeat repeat..

We eat the seafood and venison so much, I don't even pay attention to how it's cooked anymore. Just gulp it down. (grin)
Happy to find the motivation to try other recipes that work.
I love making it Francese. Dredged in flour, then dipped in egg batter (salted and peppered), then into the buttered skillet for a saute on medium till golden brown on both sides. Set aside.

Make the sauce: More butter in the pan (half stick), melt it. Add lemon juice, white wine, and chicken broth. Reduce over heat till syrupy. Check for salt. Put the halibut in the sauce and let simmer covered for four minutes. Serve with sauce. Sprinkle chopped fresh Italian parsley over dish.
Originally Posted by pal
Happy to find the motivation to try other recipes that work.

Amen!! When I first joined the Fire the food section sat idle for days.

It's great how that section is all grown up and now very much alive with all day knowledgeable posting. grin
How many of your guys actually pay over $20 lb for halibut? Prices are crazy on hali.
I imagine that if you divide it by the amount of $$ I put into the gas tank of my pard's fishing boat I'm paying more than $20 a pound for it. And the fact that the wife is allergic to halibut, don't know how or why but lings and rockfish don't bother her, so I end up giving 95% of it to family and friends I'm paying a lot for what little I actually eat. Still love fishing in the salt so I still keep filling that tank!
It's okay though, the days I talk him into doing an even split, he gets halibut I get the spot prawns, I always feel like a winner. Brought home 5 gal of tails in a weekend once last summer, score!
Originally Posted by Calvin
How many of your guys actually pay over $20 lb for halibut? Prices are crazy on hali.

Sad but true. For the real deal and to get what's flown to the East coast in stores like Wegmans it's about 25 bucks a pound. On sale and in abundance maybe 20 bucks. But worth every dime as it's as close to AK waters as one can get without being there.

King salmon was 32 bucks a couple of weeks ago. eek

I do miss my annual trips to Sitka returning with well over 400 lbs of the seasons best bounty!! Need to hook back up with the Floyd brothers soon!!
That's crazy, as they pay us $4.50 for our kings. I need to figure out a way to ship fresh to the east coast. Nothing tops fresh king.
I like to leave the skin on the fillet. Grill with butter, dill, and garlic.
I might have to bookmark this thread smile
Skin side down on foil, crushed garlic, lemon pepper, (or fresh cracked black pepper & lemon juice), dry dill. Grill uncovered just until it flakes apart. Use a spatula to separate the fillet from the skin.
Originally Posted by byc

Yup!

Add in some panko bread crumbs. In fact, I make up a mixture of slightly melted butter, panko and parm cheese, Coat the fish and top with very thin key lime slices before baking.

I'm going to have to try the crushed pistachios. SOON! smile
Cheeks on the grill. Some salt, pepper...maybe a little lemon pepper or lemon.
Put a 50-50 mix of sour cream/mayo on fillets. Cover with cheddar cheese. Bake. Pretty good.

Enchiladas are good.

I eat hali about 2x a week. Momma mixes up the recipes a bunch, but the above are my favorites.
on a bed of caramelizeds sweet onion IS butt Olympia
Originally Posted by byc

Yup!

I'm going to have to try the crushed pistachios. SOON! smile

Pecan crusted is my favorite! Or just cut into little chucks, Rollin you favorite crums and throw them in the fryer. Great snack food.
beer batter... DONE RITE..... is hard to beat ,,,,,I have 30lbs to ready to eat...yum
Originally Posted by TheKid
I like to roll it up in a foil packet with a great gob of butter, lots of garlic, some black pepper, and a couple lemon slices. I slice up some onions and put in as well. Slap it in the oven at about 350 for a while, usually I listen to hear the butter sizzling and if it is the fish is done, don't have to worry too much about over cooking it with the butter.

Me and the Mrs eat lingcod and rockfish this way as well as pike and the occasional salmon. Pretty easy and pretty good.

This recipe gets my vote.
Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I will try and get pic's a recipe used up this week.

Again thanks for all the input.
A good halibut lasagna is pretty durn hard to beat too. Have made a fairly steady diet of Halibut for well over 50 years, and there just isn't to many ways ya can screw it up! Try slicein' it super thin, salt lightly, give'er a light smokein'.
Many times better then potato chips!
Just had some for supper, that was lightly fryed in butter, mixed with some rice, sliced bell pepper, jalape�os, seasoned to my taste buds, with garlic, onions, Rosemary and a bita basil.
That's crazy, as they pay us $4.50 for our kings. I need to figure out a way to ship fresh to the east coast. Nothing tops fresh king.

I'll be your first and best customer!!!

Happy Birthday to ya!!
Poor Man's Lobster

Cube halibut into about 1 1/4" chunks

Pot of boiling water, with about a cup of sugar per gallon of water. Also dissolve about a 1/2 tablespoon of salt. EDIT: Also add half stick of butter per gallon of water, if you want more buttery flavor.

Dump halibut chunks into boiling solution. The chunks will sink. As soon as they float to surface (a couple of minutes), remove them from water. Don't let them stay in any longer, or they get tough. Serve with butter for dipping. Very similar in flavor to lobster.
Marinate in Italian dressing for 30 minutes then grill until opaque. Serve on a bed of rice pilaf and enjoy!
A restaurant near us has fish chowder every day. We order a bowl to start every dinner there.

[Linked Image]

Saybrook Fish House Canton, Ct
Even though you excluded deep fried, I think I could nearly eat my weight in battered and fried 'but.

Same for shrimpies.
Thanks for the recipes guys. I use shake and bake a lot now. Try all the flavors. Tonight i made my own with lemon pepper and italian breadcrumbs. Just cut into chunks and shake, then bake on a lot of oil cause it tends to stick.
© 24hourcampfire