Home
Posted By: 5sdad Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
For those of mature years and discriminating taste, I found a place today that still serves them - part of a wonderful day with family.
Posted By: okok Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
We use to get those as a Kid...they were deeelish. Where did you find them?
I do.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by okok
We use to get those as a Kid...they were deeelish. Where did you find them?

Hickory Park (barbecue place in Ames, Iowa)
Pardon my ignorance, but what is/are Green Rivers?

Ed
Posted By: jnyork Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Pardon my ignorance, but what is/are Green Rivers?

Ed

I'm only 74 and don't remember them, don't even know what they are (were), must have been before my time. whistle
Posted By: broomd Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
Cupid candies and soda fountain had them in Chicago in the early 70's....
Hell, I'm durn near 80, and I have no idea what your talkin' about! Must be a Eastern thing!
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes
Hell, I'm durn near 80, and I have no idea what your talkin' about! Must be a Eastern thing!

It isn't a Northwest thing. The only thing I thought of regarding "Green River" was the Green River killings in WA state ?? Just had a correctional officer over at the house giving us an update on death row here at WSP.
Indeed, I do remember the Green River Killer, and that is what I thot this thread was originally about. Was much surprised to find that it was some kinda sweet snacky thingy!
Posted By: KDK Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
I used to get them at a pizza place that is no more. There's a candy shop in Sunriver, OR that still makes them. I also see them frequently in local grocery stores in single 12 oz. glass bottles. (I'm 47, so it's not an age thing...)
Originally Posted by KDK
I used to get them at a pizza place that is no more. There's a candy shop in Sunriver, OR that still makes them. I also see them frequently in local grocery stores in single 12 oz. glass bottles. (I'm 47, so it's not an age thing...)

No kidding? In Oregon? We're the same age. Maybe they are just in tourist type areas out here?
Posted By: KDK Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
Uh, Tualitin and Tigard are not exactly touristy... Yuppie as hell in areas, yes.
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes
Indeed, I do remember the Green River Killer, and that is what I thot this thread was originally about. Was much surprised to find that it was some kinda sweet snacky thingy!

Twinkletoes,
Warped and twisted minds think alike. laugh
Originally Posted by KDK
Uh, Tualitin and Tigard are not exactly touristy... Yuppie as hell in areas, yes.

No, but it seemed like Sunriver had it's share when I visited there years ago. Fun place.
KDK, I also grew up in Oregon, the Rogue Valley, but, left long before you were born. Been back a time or two tho.
Wasn't Green Rivers a contemporary of Muddy Waters?

Actually I have very distant memories of Dad buying me Green Rivers at a drug store soda fountain in a small town in northern Wisconsin - grandparents lived there. A lemon-lime soft drink that was a real treat - Imagine that, a soda as a treat. Here's a link to a Wiki.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Wasn't Green Rivers a contemporary of Muddy Waters?

Actually I have very distant memories of Dad buying me Green Rivers at a drug store soda fountain in a small town in northern Wisconsin - grandparents lived there. A lemon-lime soft drink that was a real treat - Imagine that, a soda as a treat. Here's a link to a Wiki.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Who Remembers Green Rivers? - 10/27/14
Oh yea! Flannery's Pharmacy in Winterset. Hickory Park is probably the last place in Iowa that I know serves them. kwg
I've never heard of Green Rivers either, but a quick google came up with this-

link

Green River, that's a place in Utah with a place called Ray's Tavern that shouldn't be missed as you blow by on I-70. Best burgers in the west. How's that for sidetrack?
Ace Hardwares in town have vintage sodas. Green River, Nehi, Moxie, etc..
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/453/1
© 24hourcampfire