Home
Saturday is opening day of muzzleloader.

Normally, I'm not worth a sloppy noodle in the sack for a couple of days before season, but damn it feels worse this year.

Impulse buying the tiller, and mind numbing fence installation isn't helping, let alone my actual paying job.

It's getting to the point I'm going to have to take a week off before season, just because I'm pretty well "Hind Tit on Boar" at this juncture.

Some people never grow up.

I am one too. grin
That happens when your neck starts to swell... laugh

Be glad you still have that anticipation!
I have decided that in the future, I will hunt out of the area in a camp. So I can spend the week prior to season traveling and camping.

Of course, that means that I won't be worth a damn for the week before I travel.

I need to just quit everything and hunt all the time.

The luster would fade if you hunted for a living... wink
Ours opens up here in Virginia this saturday as well. Oddly, it hasn't hit me yet.
You're cracking me up.

Last week I cleaned out and tilled both garden plots, installed new fencing, and today I'm finishing the cyclone wire gate on the new dog kennel.

One thing though. I saved all of this work until after I went ML hunting. It takes me weeks to prepare for a hunt. grin
Originally Posted by Raeford
Ours opens up here in Virginia this saturday as well. Oddly, it hasn't hit me yet.

check your pulse
You think you got it bad? I gotta go to Boone for some father / daughter sorority tailgate bullsh!t function on Saturday. This one is about to wreck the marriage.

Originally Posted by CrowRifle
You think you got it bad? I gotta go to Boone for some father / daughter sorority tailgate bullsh!t function on Saturday. This one is about to wreck the marriage.

My condolences, man.

App State - you might as well get tanked.
It's a big reason I went back to full time retirement. All I want to do come November 8 is hunt, eat, sleep, watch a little football and do it over again.

Originally Posted by RWE

check your pulse

That, and your nut sack.

You should have enlightened them about a condition called buck fever.

There's have to be some sorority sister tail involved, my choice of a trio, to make that one worth it.

You aren't showering this week so you'll fit in I hope.

You aren't showering this week so you'll fit in I hope.

And he's not shaving his vagina.

FWIW.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by RWE

check your pulse

That, and your nut sack.

Nut sack is fine albeit a tad tired. wink Wife hunts too so maybe she is rutting......

Don't ya wish you had Sundays to hunt like we do!!! grin
I Painted the den and visted both kids in college the last few weekends. I told the wife the rut only comes once a year and over the next three weeks she will be a sorry sack if she tries to make plans on any Saturday so there will be no misunderstandings about what I want to be doing the next three weekends. I'm getting stoked about bowhunting.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's a big reason I went back to full time retirement. All I want to do come November 8 is hunt, eat, sleep, watch a little football and do it over again.

My wife refers to the time between 11/1 and 1/1 as the prelude to "missing and presumed dead".

If it weren't for the freezer becoming magically full, and occasional snoring, she'd apparently forget I was even here.

Nice to hear Scott...I am enjoying full time retirement as well, but not hunting as much as I should....
Originally Posted by ingwe

Nice to hear Scott...I am enjoying full time retirement as well, but not hunting as much as I should....

You'd hunt a lot more if you weren't wasting time fixing Remingtons all the live long day.
i am going thursday. Thus, i have stuff scattered all over the house and garage. Wife will probably be glad to see me gone.
Originally Posted by RWE

My wife refers to the time between 11/1 and 1/1 as the prelude to "missing and presumed dead".

If it weren't for the freezer becoming magically full, and occasional snoring, she'd apparently forget I was even here.

I know Raeford's "lament". Mine has said she's "getting as much fun as possible now, because I won't be home until January." Not quite true, but hey, who am I to correct her? wink
Sex is only a distraction now. Something just to keep me busy until I can hunt.

I may get some more in between the end of small game season, and when I get down to the pond to fish sometime in March.
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by ingwe

You'd hunt a lot more if you weren't wasting time fixing Remingtons all the live long day.

The bolts keep falling off, and the triggers allow the guns to go off all by themselves!!!

What am I supposed to do???? cry
I got up at 4am this morning.

Reached into the top drawer and grabbed my lucky wool socks.

Sat on the edge of the bed, slipping them on, and realized its only Wednesday.

Dammit dammit dammit dammit.

dammit.
Laffin'. BTDT.

Off to sight in my MZ and 7.08 now. Have a good day, gents.
Wait, your sighting in your own guns?

Thanks for the laugh.

That'll get me through a couple hours...
Is the new project gonna be ready for opening day?
I know who's in trouble now, smartass.
I still have not gotten to the range to site in the new .243 single shot rifle I will use this hunting season. Maybe tomorrow.
Is the new project gonna be ready for opening day?

The muzzleloader is ready.

[Linked Image]

Although I am seriously considering taking it from 42" barrel down to 32".

No rush there.

Still making that thick ass denim work - made a sizer out of some laminated walnut and brass - kind of like a loading block, just a little stouter.
Cool. Good luck.

If'n you hear reports of a deranged man stomping some punk a$s fraternity pukes in Boone, think nothing of it.
Start bowhunting. You'll be worn out before the first buck ever shows itself in daylight.
I got a recurve collecting dust.

Before the logging a couple years back, I had some good archery spots, but after the woods were cut, the deer dynamic changed a bunch.

I need to set up some new stands, which is going to require a lot of clearing to get to; that time became preciously low after the work promotion.

..but the exercise will help you sleep.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
..but the exercise will help you sleep.

If I start looking better by exercising, all the sex will keep me awake.

You must be in the western end of the state. We been killing deer Down East a couple of weeks with real guns!
Originally Posted by isaac
Laffin'. BTDT.

Off to sight in my MZ and 7.08 now. Have a good day, gents.

Who is going to the range with you this time?
Originally Posted by RWE

Before the logging a couple years back, I had some good archery spots, but after the woods were cut, the deer dynamic changed a bunch.

I need to set up some new stands, which is going to require a lot of clearing to get to; that time became preciously low after the work promotion.

What is the recurve?
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
You must be in the western end of the state. We been killing deer Down East a couple of weeks with real guns!

Yeah, that disparage in seasons has always had me wondering what your local politicians did to bribe the WRC.

Or blackmail, for that matter.

Someone's got pictures of someone.
Originally Posted by RWE

What is the recurve?

Mamba. 60lb@29"

(Left hand wink )
I think is was a bunch of farmers griping to the right ones about deer in the soybeans
They give permits for that here in the civilized part of the state.
Oh, you're definitely in the syphillized part of the state.

BTW - you have 69 hours until legal shooting light on the 1st.
I haven't even checked when shooting light hits.

It seems like weeks away.

Woe - is me.

Someone get me some sack cloth and a mouth guard.
0700 is legal shooting light on Saturday. 0600 on Sunday. Oh, oops. You only have Saturday; I forgot.
[Linked Image]
LMAO!
When you got 10 or 15 thousand acres of beans and getting 25% loss to deer eating them you don't need permits you need belt fed
When you got 10 or 15 thousand acres of beans and getting 25% loss to deer eating them you don't need permits you need belt fed

I think you need some friends to come help you with your problem. wink

I don't have belt-fed, but I do have box magazines (and a bunch of them).
Wow, 15K on the acreage and a quarter loss?

You know, I uh, I'm available to help out.

No belt fed, but I got a couple centerfires and a truck...

Originally Posted by RWE
Wow, 15K on the acreage and a quarter loss?

You know, I uh, I'm available to help out.

No belt fed, but I got a couple centerfires and a truck...

Have we played this game before? wink
Bambi saw it as some terminal game of dodge ball.

That is signature line worthy. grin

Thanks for the grin this morning.

I'm on the road again, still. Rifle season starts Saturday and the Sharps is ready to go, so its just up to me to be there and out in the woods.

Not much hope of connecting on my place this year. Two packs of coyotes and a very large bobcat have been showing up on the game cams and there is not much deer sign at all. Not even raccoons nor hogs at the neighbor's feeders. frown

Ed
0700 is legal shooting light on Saturday. 0600 on Sunday. Oh, oops. You only have Saturday; I forgot.

Don't that just suck. I'll be sitting 30 miles north of the state line on Sunday morning-in a tree.
48 hours until RWE needs to be in a stand.

grin
Two more days, 48 hrs, 2880 minutes.........
Gee, thanks for the countdown.

I almost hit a tall rack 8 this morning on my way to work.

By almost I don't mean "successfully avoided", I mean I unsuccessfully tried to hit the bastard, and he got off the road too fast.
You didn't go cross country after him?

You're slipping.
I hope Ya shoot better than Ya drive! grin
Oh, RWE is getting quite touchy about the fact that it's now 48 hours to legal shooting light for him.

He's referencing different weights of silicon dioxide (technically 0.45 kgs of it).

See what you get when you're trying to he'p a brutha out?

wink
45 Hours
nov 8th before I can break out the Savage smokeless, but it stays ready. I don't wait till the day before to sight anything in.

one more weekend to finish up lingering summer projects
Good grief.

The schools are off tomorrow for a teacher work day (WTF is that - isn't every week day a work day?)

Anyway, there is apparently a sleepover of 8th grade girls planned for this evening at my house.

Suddenly, I understand euthanasia.
Maybe they will stay all weekend.
I'm cleaning out the bed.

Of my truck.
Mobile shooting blind and camp all rolled into one?
Mobile shooting blind and camp all rolled into one?

Not so much shooting here, with the cutover grown up, but it wouldn't be the first time I sacked out in the back of a truck.
Oh, RWE is getting quite touchy about the fact that it's now 48 hours to legal shooting light for him.

He's referencing different weights of silicon dioxide (technically 0.45 kgs of it).

See what you get when you're trying to he'p a brutha out?

wink

Yeah, not very appreciative is he? Just think, in the mornin' it will only be 1440 minutes or 86,400 seconds......it's really not that long.....
24 hours until RWE needs to be on a stand.

I wonder how the 8th grade girl sleepover is going? Have they extended it through the weekend?
They were still awake when I left the house at 4:30am.
So, when will get the message that they are staying over for the weekend?
Not taking MY mz out tomorrow morning if the rain hits as forecasted. Love my old TC Thunderhawk too much. I'll just have to take my wifes mz.
The stainless inline goes tomorrow. The sidelock smoothbore gets the nod on Sunday.
I think I'll take the underhammer....
Originally Posted by RWE
I think I'll take the underhammer....

Yeah, I'm sure. grin

I will take my wifes stainless. She will hunt with mine....from the kitchen table.
© 24hourcampfire