Home
About 2 months ago, I bought a 700 Mountain Rifle LSS stock with a cheesy aftermarket recoil pad, so I called Remington to order a new factory pad. Boy, did the adventure begin! 1st off, they tried telling me that the correct pad was one of the new Supercell pads, even though the Mountain Rifle LSS stocks use the thin Old English style pads. They assured me that the Supercell was the right one, so I went ahead and paid for it. A week later, I get an email that it was shipped. 2 weeks later, still no recoil pad. I called them up, and was told "Sorry, it must have gotten lost in the mail, we'll send you another one." 4 or 5 days later, I get an email that that one had been shipped. 2 weeks later, still no recoil pad. I called them up AGAIN, and discovered that they were shipping them to the wrong address. They said, "We're so sorry, we'll send another out to you". 3 days later, I get the shipped email. About 10 days later, I get a recoil pad SCREW in the mail. I was kinda nasty when I called them that time, only to find out that the pad THEY think I need is on backorder, with no projected restock date. I asked THIS guy if they had any of the LSS thin pads in stock, and was told yes. I asked if he'd send me one of those, and he said yes. I'm pretty sure it's the one I need, anyway, but if not, I'll have a Pachmayr fitted to it. So, anyway, here it is 2 months AFTER I paid them for a simple recoil pad, and have still NOT received it. WTF?
Apparently, the move to North Carolina erased what little institutional memory still existed in Ilion...
and then there's Smith & Wesson, who bought Thompson Center, then closed the TC custom shop and wants nothing to do with any Contender repairs
Remingtons suck.
Originally Posted by lilderrick
Remingtons suck.

AHA!!!!!! We just came full circle laugh
TFF
Originally Posted by badger
Remingtons suck.

AHA!!!!!! We just came full circle laugh

Wow. 2003 just called. Wants its topic back..... (grin)
NEW Remingtons suck.

Like most guys here, I have more than my fair share of rifles and shotguns. Including 2 Remingtons
I have been shooting for 25+ years. A Rem 870 12ga and Rem 700 30-06. Never had one problem with either one.
Remingtons suck.

They shoot pretty good too, unlike my last (and I do mean last) Winchester.

At least Remington doesn't forget to finish machining the bolt and they put the barrels on straight.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
About 2 months ago, I bought a 700 Mountain Rifle LSS stock with a cheesy aftermarket recoil pad, so I called Remington to order a new factory pad. Boy, did the adventure begin! 1st off, they tried telling me that the correct pad was one of the new Supercell pads, even though the Mountain Rifle LSS stocks use the thin Old English style pads. They assured me that the Supercell was the right one, so I went ahead and paid for it. A week later, I get an email that it was shipped. 2 weeks later, still no recoil pad. I called them up, and was told "Sorry, it must have gotten lost in the mail, we'll send you another one." 4 or 5 days later, I get an email that that one had been shipped. 2 weeks later, still no recoil pad. I called them up AGAIN, and discovered that they were shipping them to the wrong address. They said, "We're so sorry, we'll send another out to you". 3 days later, I get the shipped email. About 10 days later, I get a recoil pad SCREW in the mail. I was kinda nasty when I called them that time, only to find out that the pad THEY think I need is on backorder, with no projected restock date. I asked THIS guy if they had any of the LSS thin pads in stock, and was told yes. I asked if he'd send me one of those, and he said yes. I'm pretty sure it's the one I need, anyway, but if not, I'll have a Pachmayr fitted to it. So, anyway, here it is 2 months AFTER I paid them for a simple recoil pad, and have still NOT received it. WTF?

All Sucks jokes aside, that is crappy and inept service. Shame when you know the product better than they do....
It is a shame to see a great company slide so far downhill.

I had reason to use their customer service to fix a rifle I had screwed up back in the early 80's and they were reasonably fast, did the work well and charged me a fair amount. Bought a left hand FS stock from their parts dept. in the late 90's, turns out the guy I talked to lived about four houses down from me from when I used to live near Ilion so he gave me a greatly discounted price on it.

Bought a LH M700 in the early 2000's and it was a total f-up in fit and finish. Sent it back with a nice letter pointing out the numerous things wrong, they exchanged it for an entirely new rifle which is excellent in every way and as it turns out is one of the most accurate out of the box M700's I've ever owned.

Not any more.

They used to rebarrel their rifles to the same caliber for a very reasonable fee but last time I called they wouldn't even do that, you had to buy a new barreled action. I've called inquiring about a couple of other things in the last few years and it sounds like the person I'm talking to doesn't know a barrel from a hole in the ground.

It is a shame.
There's a reason why custom shops have long back orders.
a lot of drama over a simple recoil pad. I"d NEVER go to a factory for that when Pachmyr sells hundreds or more every day....
I called them because I like the factory pad, the price was reasonable, and I figured it would screw right on with little or no fitting.
Had an issue with some of their 12ga Accupoint slugs, lady had me send them in, then they lost them - sorry! Sent a letter to their CEO at the time explaining the issue, got a call from their customer service manager with an apology and they sent me a check for $50. Whenever you have an issue I just keep moving up the ladder until you get results.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I called them because I like the factory pad, the price was reasonable, and I figured it would screw right on with little or no fitting.

I'd have sold you that recoil pad for even less, if I never had to ship it to you.
Just got the "order has been shipped" email today, exactly a week later......... crazy
you should see it in a month or so. or not.
try getting a remlin fixed. I think they have a affirmative action section staffed by apes. bad enough they ship brand new remlins that have enough space between the action and the stock to store a sandwich but the cracked receivers on some 95's is criminal.
I've had issues with Remington too and I will never own another one. Never. Ever.
I'm not a big remington fan. Their customer service has sucked for a longwhile. Their shotguns are less than great now but I love my 597 .22 made in about 2000. Never on problem with the 597 but a 1187 super mag = boat anchor. I hate to see a good american company go to crap like remington has in the last decade.
I know not the definition of fine arms, but recently was at a group event for work at a skeet range. Guy was loaning out an 870 youth 20 guage for the non shooters to use. Super rough action, sharp edges on all the metal pieces. Plastic pieces all over. Dad bought me one in 1993. Apples and oranges between my 20 year old one and the new ones being put out.
In any industry customer service is a make or break deal. In the shooting industry where companies like RCBS and Redding stand out as tops in any industry you would think Remington would either get their act together or close there doors for good. When good companies get bought out by executive bean counters who have no real understanding of the products they make the end will soon be near.
I called Remington Customer Service a year ago to see about re-barreling a Model Seven; they no longer do this. I will gladly pay for the work and think their customer service stinks; the person was only marginally courteous.
Originally Posted by Scott F
In any industry customer service is a make or break deal. In the shooting industry where companies like RCBS and Redding stand out as tops in any industry you would think Remington would either get their act together or close there doors for good. When good companies get bought out by executive bean counters who have no real understanding of the products they make the end will soon be near.

Quite true!!
the remingtons that i know and love are long gone given the present management. i have pumps that are almost 100 years old that are marvels of engineering and workmanship and shoot as good as they look. i also have ones that were specially done for small distributors with the past 10-15 years that are wonderfully fit, finished and functional. the ones i see coming out under the remington and marlin name remind me of chinese copies by norinko and other ripoffs. i still love my remingtons and marlins, but not what goes by those names now.
Originally Posted by rem141r
the remingtons that i know and love are long gone given the present management. i have pumps that are almost 100 years old that are marvels of engineering and workmanship and shoot as good as they look. i also have ones that were specially done for small distributors with the past 10-15 years that are wonderfully fit, finished and functional. the ones i see coming out under the remington and marlin name remind me of chinese copies by norinko and other ripoffs. i still love my remingtons and marlins, but not what goes by those names now.

That's true. I love Remington 700's, but the only current model I have any interest in is a CDL SF, which I wish had the option of a laminated stock. The older ones I like best are the ones made during the 90's and early 2000's. Luckily, they made more than a few of those, so they will never disappear in my lifetime.......... wink
I wont buy a new Remington since they told me that my 3 to 4 inch three shot groups, (not counting flyers), "met their standards".

The Model Seven CDL in 260 Rem had such a rough barrel that it would be extremely copper fouled after just two or three shots and that was with Nosler BTs and Remingtons own Core-lokts. They sent the rifle back w/o doing a thing to it.

That said, I have some older Remingtons that have been and still are great.

© 24hourcampfire