Home
I can't really afford it, but the fact is that my 10 year old quad is getting a bit tired of keeping up with all the snowplowing and mowing chores around my place. The quad is a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin, carbureted and while it's done a good job, it's getting older and certainly won't last forever, even though I've only put about 340 hours on it since I bought it new in July of 2005.

I found this tractor for sale a couple hours away with less than 60 hours on it. It has a front loader and an aftermarket back blade. Primary uses for the tractor would be snow removal, moving a bit of dirt here and there in an effort to get our yard done after only 11 years of living here, collecting firewood and just general use around my 40 acres.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

If I buy it, I'd sell the quad to offset some of the $14,500 asking price and eventually outfit it with a front blower, brush hog and tiller for our small garden. Seems just the perfect size for what needs doing around my place.

Anyone care to offer input on the M-F brand? Care and feeding?
Here's a pic of the actual tractor for sale.

[Linked Image]
The forums here- Tractor forums can help you out. There are brand specific sub forums where you can find out everything you need to know about that particular mode.
Thanks, SmokeEater2. And Happy Birthday to ya'!
You said 'front blower'.. For that you need the mid-mount PTO option.. Does the one you're looking at have that option? If not, no biggie - just get a 3-pt mounted blower and go backwards. Nice thing is about a rear-mount blower is that the loader is still on and available for moving/piling snow going forward.

M-F should be ok. My only negative would be the hydro drive - never liked those things but that's just me. The JD 4210 I have now could be obtained with gears and I have never regretted it.. The hydro will sap some power from the PTO so be prepared for that..

Otherwise - it should work for your needs just fine..
Around her you see more older 235's than anything except maybe them Kuboto's..I guess you could do a lot with that little tractor,but unless you will really be putting a lot of hours on it .I would just buy a used 235 with Perkins for about $3,000,or $4,000.You would be getting a locking differential,and with the extra weight you probably wouldn't need 4wd..and with the money you save you could buy a lot of 3pt impliments.
Snowplowing and 2 wheel drive should not be used in the same sentence. YMMV.
Lee-yes, it has a mid PTO.

DeereJohn - with the ground composition around here 4wd is a must. We're pretty low with a lot of clay once you get a couple feet down, so any significant rain saturates the ground and stays near the surface. If you break through the turf in those conditions it's all over. I nearly got a borrowed 40 hp New Holland buried in the field out back. If the owner hadn't showed me how to lock the diff. and power out, I'd probably still be shoveling.
Is it flat where you are, Scott?
Yes, pretty flat and low.
I have two MF tractors, an older 2 wd 85 hp and a 4x4 40 hp 1440V. Both have been superb, no mechanical problems at all. I can recommend the MF brand.

However, if I had it to do again I would not have bought the 1440v. While it has enough Hp to do the small jobs it does not have adequate width so is prone to rolling in even the slightest depressions. I got it for the wife, but I can't let her use it much because it is so easy to roll.

Our farm is in middle TN so I have no experience pushing snow, but I certainly would not want to be on slippery ground with it.

It does climb like a cat though!
BRUINRUIN I AM IN SALES FOR JOHN DEERE BUT HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT FOR THE MASSEY FERGUSON BRAND.MY ONLY QUESTION IS IF THERE IS A LOCAL DEALER?I WOULD NOT HESITATE ON BUYING A MASSEY,GOOD EQUIPMENT.
I had a MF 245, bought in 1990? damn good tractor.... Now I�m using a Kubota.
I just talked to the owner on the phone. A couple things he didn't list in his advertisement make the deal look a bit sweeter. It has loaded rear tires and a full set of tire chains that are still in the box.

I'm seeing tractors of similar age with slightly more hours and less equipment for about 1K more.

I think I'm going to jump on this.
You will wonder how you ever got along with out a front end loader after you get one and more than likely won't ever be without one henceforth....Massey is good to go just make sure you can get parts and service locally because if you can't it will make life harder. You spend money on stuff like this to make life easier and free up time...
Originally Posted by bruinruin

DeereJohn - with the ground composition around here 4wd is a must.
Same here - and if you're doing any loader work, 2-wheel drive is about worthless.

You say 'loaded' tires.. You mean they have fluid in 'em? If so, that's a plus when doing loader work - less apt to tip it over if on slight angles.. Another nice thing on that unit is the 'contractor' style tires - those should last you about 20+ years, easy..

I ordered my 4210 with those and even after 11 years (and 1200 hours) the tires on the front are still 70%. The rears are 90% + easy.. They might last me until I'm dead... laugh
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
The forums here- Tractor forums can help you out. There are brand specific sub forums where you can find out everything you need to know about that particular mode.

Thanks for the link.
Well, it's a done deal. I'll be mailing him a down payment and hope to pick it up next week and hand over the remainder of the payment, pending condition matching the description.

No more struggling through the snowdrifts and worrying about keeping up with Mother Nature's whims this winter, or the next 20 for that matter.
Originally Posted by Redneck

DeereJohn - with the ground composition around here 4wd is a must.
Same here - and if you're doing any loader work, 2-wheel drive is about worthless.

You say 'loaded' tires.. You mean they have fluid in 'em? If so, that's a plus when doing loader work - less apt to tip it over if on slight angles.. Another nice thing on that unit is the 'contractor' style tires - those should last you about 20+ years, easy..

I ordered my 4210 with those and even after 11 years (and 1200 hours) the tires on the front are still 70%. The rears are 90% + easy.. They might last me until I'm dead... laugh

Yes, they're loaded with beet juice. Pretty common around here.

I hope you're right about the lifespan of the tires. Upkeep/maintaining a tractor is one of the reasons why I've been nervous about getting one.
Originally Posted by wageslave
Snowplowing and 2 wheel drive should not be used in the same sentence. YMMV.
Locked axle or not, in 2WD, you'll likely need to chain up to push much snow.
That's a great little tractor, it should serve you well. The Masseys in that size range are Japanese made, they're quality machines. Take care of it & it'll last forever. I agree with the others saying 4wd is a must, especially for pushing snow. The small tractors like that don't have the weight that the older 2wd ag tractors had that somewhat made up for lack of 4wd. I wouldn't own a tractor with a front end loader that wasn't 4wd. You'll find the front end loader to be one of the most useful pieces of gear you've ever owned, there's a million things you can do with one. I've used mine for hanging deer, moving furniture, trimming tree limbs, getting on top of the house, hauling out deer, etc. you'll find things you never dreamed of to do with the FEL.

[Linked Image]
I agree on the FWD. Definitely get it.

The low hp scares me on that particular model. I would feel more comfortable with about 30hp. I'm assuming you could get one that's the same size as the 20hp you've got pictured, that had more. Hell, my lawn tractor is 26 or 27hp. No offense and this ain't the same thing. Just saying though.

Plus 100 on the front end loader, I absolutely love mine.

Did someone say hanging deer?? Just a couple of weeks ago, I used my front end loader to bring this buck into the shop and lift it to hang for skinning�..sure saves wear on the back!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

The low hp scares me on that particular model. I would feel more comfortable with about 30hp. I'm assuming you could get one that's the same size as the 20hp you've got pictured, that had more. Hell, my lawn tractor is 26 or 27hp. No offense and this ain't the same thing. Just saying though.

This one is actually a 26 hp with 20 hp at the rear PTO. Sure, I'd like more oomph, but for what I'll be doing I feel confident that this little unit will be sufficient.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

Did someone say hanging deer?? Just a couple of weeks ago, I used my front end loader to bring this buck into the shop and lift it to hang for skinning�..sure saves wear on the back!!

[Linked Image]

Boy, I hope finally owning a tractor helps me get nice bucks, too. grin
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

There's some wisdom to this. With tractors HP is like 2' longer when buying your first boat. wink

Still, the price is good on a great little tractor. MF small tractors are big here in my small farm community. They're great workhorses and easy to operate.

I wanted a MF compact tractor, but I had to elect to get a Chinese 30 hp from Northern Tools. I got a demo with 6 hours on it and a new loader for $10,200.00, delivered to my driveway. The same in a MF was $23,400.00. The Nortrak is now 10 years old and still working fine (one voltage regulator replacement is all needed in that time), but I still wish I had the wherewithal to get the MF. You'll be pleased with yours!

Congratulations. laugh
I can't really afford it, but the fact is that my 10 year old quad is getting a bit tired of keeping up with all the snowplowing and mowing chores around my place. The quad is a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin, carbureted and while it's done a good job, it's getting older and certainly won't last forever, even though I've only put about 340 hours on it since I bought it new in July of 2005.

I found this tractor for sale a couple hours away with less than 60 hours on it. It has a front loader and an aftermarket back blade. Primary uses for the tractor would be snow removal, moving a bit of dirt here and there in an effort to get our yard done after only 11 years of living here, collecting firewood and just general use around my 40 acres.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

If I buy it, I'd sell the quad to offset some of the $14,500 asking price and eventually outfit it with a front blower, brush hog and tiller for our small garden. Seems just the perfect size for what needs doing around my place.

Nice tractor and not a bad price the way it is set up. I don't think you will regret the purchase. This is the one i purchased 70 HP Kubota

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
you'll find things you never dreamed of to do with the FEL.
This is no lie: I once saw a guy that had his (running) push mower strapped to the loader on the front of an AC WD-45 and was trimming his hedge with it...

If I'd have ONLY had my camera at the time... Redneckiest thing I've ever seen around here.. laugh laugh
The HP in that model is appropriate for its size & weight, it's not underpowered. It's about the same power/weight ratio as competitors tractors. Looking at comparable kubotas the Massey actually has a bit bigger engine which should give it a bit more low end. 26 hp in a tractor that size is plenty, it works a bit different than lawn mowers or vehicles. It's got almost the same HP as an old 8N Ford which weighed 50% more.

It's got plenty of power for its size, not to worry.
I'd bet you will run out of traction long before you run out of power.
Congrats and enjoy.
I'd bet you will run out of traction long before you run out of power.
Perfectly stated - and spot on..

This one is actually a 26 hp with 20 hp at the rear PTO. Sure, I'd like more oomph, but for what I'll be doing I feel confident that this little unit will be sufficient.

Plenty of HP for what you wanna do Scot, it'll make a fine snow removal machine for you. The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=bruinruin]

The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.

YES! cool
You did real good. For 40 acres you have all the justification you need.

I used to have a Case 530 CK backhoe/loader.

Actually in tractors the older the better.. To a degree. The massy has iseki. Engine. Verry good product. Consider dealer support. Do you have a massy dealer handy?
I saw this thread and immediately thought of Dad's old tractor he bought for mowing the lawn when we built a house in the country. He had a Ford 1510D 4x4 with the little 3cyl diesel. 24 HP and absolutely unstoppable for anything you would ever dream of doing with a 24 horse tractor. We even loaded the weight rack up and moved bluestem roundbales with it a time or two. It was small for its power rating which was nice for moving and blading driveways etc.

He sold it last year and got a newer 30 or so horse New Holland because the original tires were about rotted off his old one and he just felt like getting something newer. It was an 89 model and he sold it for exactly what he paid for it after putting 1800 hours on it. The only thing it ever needed was a new battery every couple years. Would have made a superb snow plow tractor.

Hope the MF treats you right. You'll have lots of fun and find all sorts of new projects you never knew you needed to do now that you have a tractor. Have to turn up a half acre garden with it next spring.
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Actually in tractors the older the better..

A lot of the old timers, including my dad, used to say that. Unsurprisingly they always seemed to be working on broken down junk tractors too. In my dad's case it was me that always got to work on the old junk. When I needed a tractor I bought new, now I just get on it and it starts then I do what needs to be done and get on with the rest of my day instead of turning wrenches.

It all depends upon how much your time is worth to you. Most of the old timers didn't have much to do other than sit in front of a country store and BS so working on broken equipment wasn't a hassle. In my dad's case he had a son that was handy with wrenches (me) that he was perfectly willing to put to work fixing broken equipment. When I got older and my time became my own then it became a lot more valuable to me therefore I don't want anything to do with old equipment. When I get older and retire maybe I'll become one of those old guys that restores old tractors, I have to admit I do like to see the stuff from bygone days all fixed up and running. Right now though I don't want anything to do with old equipment, it breaks too much. Give me the newer stuff any day.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Actually in tractors the older the better..

A lot of the old timers, including my dad, used to say that. Unsurprisingly they always seemed to be working on broken down junk tractors too. In my dad's case it was me that always got to work on the old junk. When I needed a tractor I bought new, now I just get on it and it starts then I do what needs to be done and get on with the rest of my day instead of turning wrenches.

It all depends upon how much your time is worth to you. Most of the old timers didn't have much to do other than sit in front of a country store and BS so working on broken equipment wasn't a hassle. In my dad's case he had a son that was handy with wrenches (me) that he was perfectly willing to put to work fixing broken equipment. When I got older and my time became my own then it became a lot more valuable to me therefore I don't want anything to do with old equipment. When I get older and retire maybe I'll become one of those old guys that restores old tractors, I have to admit I do like to see the stuff from bygone days all fixed up and running. Right now though I don't want anything to do with old equipment, it breaks too much. Give me the newer stuff any day.

My thoughts, exactly.

I'm looking at a new JD 3046R for the very reasons that you stated.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

I was in a situation similar to yours at this beginning of this year.

I have 16 acres and owned a quad I never rode and an old Farmall Cub that was handy for mowing and plowing/discing my garden, and that was about it. I sold both and bought a Massey Ferguson 1734E, 4wd, front end loader, box blade, and a brush hog. Since then I have picked up an old Pittsburgh-Taylor double bottom plow, a set of discs, cultivators [as you can tell, I like to farm] and an old wagon [for firewood.] Chuck your chainsaw and milk crate full of tools, fuel, spare chains, etc. into the bucket and cut firewood until you can't cut anymore.

Best decision I ever made. The back blade you speak of [with an adjustable angle?] will do wonders with the snow [that will be my next purchase,] and you will find a million and one uses for the front end loader. After using it all summer, I can't imagine how I made it this long without one. Pretty soon, you will come up with new projects just so you can play on your new machine, as it is more fun than any four wheeler!

So far, with over 30 hours, my Massey is running just fine. Sips fuel, plenty of power (34hp,) and it goes anywhere I point it. Just keep the fluids changed per the manufacturers guidelines and use their recommended or name branded fluids.

As for implements, keep an eye out on Craigslist as there are always used ones for sale that are cheaper than new, and if they are older, usually built a damn sight heavier.

If it makes you feel better, since purchasing my place back in 2010, my Massey was the best decision I've made yet.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by luv2safari
[quote=bruinruin]

The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.

YES! cool
+2 Hydro is awesome especially when doing loader work. Just a few things to share with you. You will need a lot more ballast behind the axle to safely do loader work. Also remember a tractor has no front brakes, so if you are carrying a load down an incline make sure it's in 4wd. If the rear tires come off the ground it's a ride from hell.

[Linked Image]
Lots of good input here and it's much appreciated. As always, when I make a post looking for help/advice, I read and appreciate all constructive responses, so thanks to all who offered input.

I've been badgering my wife about my "need" for a tractor since about 2005 - shortly after we put in our house. I can see all sorts of projects and improvements that I can work on. High among them is rough grading and finishing off what we call our yard. I can see better shooting range backstops, graded walking/cross country ski paths through the woods and mostly, a big smile on my face where there used to be worry lines when a big snow was forecast.

Sounds kind of silly, but this kind of a small dream come true.
Sounds like you made a very good decision.. One tip (which you're most likely aware of anyway) ensure you have a source of #1 diesel when December 1st rolls around - especially if this tractor will be stored in an unheated shed.. In parts of the country like WI, MN, MI etc and temps can reach -20 pretty easily you won't be movin' any snow when your fuel is gelled..

Oh, and does this tractor have an engine heater of some kind? If so, use it when needed.. The starter and engine will appreciate it...

smile smile
Hydrostatic drive can have parasitic losses in HP up to 25% but It's also much easier, faster to switch from forward to reverse and reliable. The MF brand is good and you should have no issues with parts or service.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Hydrostatic drive can have parasitic losses in HP up to 25% but It's also much easier, faster to switch from forward to reverse and reliable. The MF brand is good and you should have no issues with parts or service.

I ended up choosing a 9x3 gear transmission. Though hydros making doing loader work significantly easier, I opted for the 9x3 because I do alot of plowing and discing, several acres worth, as well as pulling a wagon overloaded with firewood. I have heard stories of hydros overheating during those sorts of activities, doing nothing obviously for their longevity. I don't think there is a WRONG choice, there are good and bad points for each transmission type, just be sure to weigh all of the facts with the type of work you will be using your machine for.
I'm one of the old timers with old equipment. I'm retired now, but had the same when I was working. A 1952 Ford 8N. At times I yearn for one those $30K green machines or Kabotas, but when they break, you have to send them to the shop . My old tractor,I can call up TSC and have a part in 24 hours, and fix it myself. Unless it stops running completely, I can always get $3500 out of it.

But you will like your MF
Well, I got the tractor home last Wednesday. I think I picked absolute worst possible day to do it, though. It took me about 3 hours to drive 140 miles, mostly due to road conditions, but also because I got into some pretty heavy lake-effect snow for the last 50 miles.

Once I got loaded up, I decided to head straight East to get inland and hopefully, away from that damn lake-effect mess. It didn't work out so well. 6 hours after the last chain binder snapped into place I pulled into my driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

What are you owners of smaller diesel tractors using for engine oil?
Any block heater, or heated garage ?

If so, Rotella T 15 /40 dino

GTC
Nope, no block heater frown and cold shelter.
bruinruin, sorry that I am late to see this thread because we have a tractor very much like the MF you show here - ours is a bit bigger. It is our "second" tractor - I use a much older and much bigger MF gas model for the heavier work here and we got this new one because it is very easy for my wife to operate and much handier for smaller tasks. It has proven to be well made (foreign made as with just about all current small ones) and we have experienced no manufacturing defects or uncommon troubles.

I use Rotella or Delo, as in my Dodge Cummins diesel and all is well. The only potential disappointments you may encounter are that lifting/pushing ability will more limited than you might expect (early breakout/stall compared with other/older tractor you may have used) and while working with snow removal on any uneven surfaces you will lose the 4WD traction rather easily due to early wheel spinning due to balance issues. That is where the smaller size of those front wheels becomes an issue. But, it should work a ton better than your ATV did.

It is a fun tractor - hope you enjoy it.
Well, I got the tractor home last Wednesday. I think I picked absolute worst possible day to do it, though. It took me about 3 hours to drive 140 miles, mostly due to road conditions, but also because I got into some pretty heavy lake-effect snow for the last 50 miles.

Once I got loaded up, I decided to head straight East to get inland and hopefully, away from that damn lake-effect mess. It didn't work out so well. 6 hours after the last chain binder snapped into place I pulled into my driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

I use JD 10-30 diesel (manual recommended) in my JD 4210.. At the same time, I rarely keep mine in the unheated shed in the winter when temps drop to 0F or below..

If your manual has a list of recommended oils and viscosities, I'd pick one from that list.. Otherwise, consider Mobil-1 diesel 5-40..
Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated.
Ask your local hydraulic gurus about what they have available as a "Sock" that you drop into your sump, or a filter to scrub your tractor hydraulic system of the water that COLD starts, and operation in cold blowing snow conditions WILL inevitably accumulate. When you pull a level or drain plug and it hasn't got a magnet,....PUT ONE.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ask your local hydraulic gurus about what they have available as a "Sock" that you drop into your sump, or a filter to scrub your tractor hydraulic system of the water that COLD starts, and operation in cold blowing snow conditions WILL inevitably accumulate. When you pull a level or drain plug and it hasn't got a magnet,....PUT ONE.

That's good stuff, Greg. There's a couple hydraulic shops that I pass by on my way to work. I'll have to stop by and have a chat with them.

The magnet is a no-brainer that I hadn't thought of. blush

While I'm not a stranger to tractors, this is the first I've owned, so I'm trying to make sure I do this thing right.
All hard-working property owners deserve to own a nice tractor with loader wink

My New Holland doing some snow removal

[Linked Image]

Here is 'ol blue doing deer food plot work

[Linked Image]

... and here we're about to go blade/level my 1/2 mile long driveway

[Linked Image]

My tractor was by far my single best investment since becoming a small property owner! Also, she's great for mowing in summer and firewood cutting in winter. Glad you got what you wanted! Have fun and keep it well maintained ... that little tractor will outlive all of us.
Now that you have a tractor, you'll need to become a member on tractorbynet.com It's the best tractor site and group of folks you'll ever find on the internet. You'll get a solid answer to any of your tractor questions.
I'm having tractor envy. That's a heckuva nice rig, RickyBobby.

Is this how this tractor thing starts out? You buy what you think you need and then see one a little bigger and more capable and think, "hey, if I had one like that...." grin

Nah, I can't get caught up in that yet. I've only put 3 hours on my little rig and so far I love it. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm already finding unusual uses for the FEL. Just last weekend I loaded a large, used double hung window assembly in it and moved it to the more sheltered side of the barn. Beat the heck out of carrying that thing. Was fun, too. grin
I'm having tractor envy. That's a heckuva nice rig, RickyBobby.

Is this how this tractor thing starts out? You buy what you think you need and then see one a little bigger and more capable and think, "hey, if I had one like that...." grin

Nah, I can't get caught up in that yet. I've only put 3 hours on my little rig and so far I love it. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm already finding unusual uses for the FEL. Just last weekend I loaded a large, used double hung window assembly in it and moved it to the more sheltered side of the barn. Beat the heck out of carrying that thing. Was fun, too. grin

My tractor is around 70hp. I wanted something just big enough to handle round bales ... in case I'd ever take interest in making hay or owning a herd of cattle. Seriously doubt I ever do but didn't want the hassle of having to ever go buy a bigger tractor. As far as the cab, I have terrible allergies in spring and summer and it makes it very sweet for mowing during those times of year! Not to mention I can blade snow in dead of winter wearing only a t-shirt. grin My wife likes to sell or rotate out our vehicles every 5 years. So I skipped my turn for a new truck and convinced her to let me buy the tractor. Best decision ever! I have now owned my same truck for 12 years and have had the tractor since 2007. I could care less about getting to drive a new vehicle compared to the oppurtunity of owning such a nice tractor! In the end, we are now all happy!
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Now that you have a tractor, you'll need to become a member on tractorbynet.com It's the best tractor site and group of folks you'll ever find on the internet. You'll get a solid answer to any of your tractor questions.

Funny you should say that because I just registered on that site this afternoon. Same handle.
Congrats on the tractor purchase! I can't imaging living on 40 acres without a tractor, I'd be hard pressed to live on 5 acres w/o a tractor.

[Linked Image]

Boy, I hope finally owning a tractor helps me get nice bucks, too. grin

What's this about hanging Deer. That's just light duty work! Let's try a little bit heavier job.

[Linked Image]

Last oil change I used Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic for one of our loader tractors.
(started everyday, stored outside, multiple engine heaters)

Same tractor gets 15w-40 during the warmer months.

Thanks Sam. Biggest problem I'm having now is finding oil in the viscosity I want.
Bruin, one thing that may have been mentioned but I haven't seen it is to weld two chain hooks at each end of the loader on the top of it. You can't believe how handy they are. For one thing, if you need to secure a load within the loader such as a refrigerator or something, you just hook the end of a chain in one hook and run it around the object being transported and put the other end of the chain in the other hook and you have it.
Get some of this, Oil

And one of these, Click Here

You may have to order the oil, now that yer a farmer what ya gonna grow? have fun with the tractor.
I had to buy 10W30 diesel turbo oil from the local CaseIH dealer.

If you use a loader, best have chains for the rear tires.
Hi Scot can I borrow your tractor??? The right answer is not no but H#ll NO. Have fun and be safe with your new toy. Clint
Mickey, that's a good idea. I'll check into doing that.

wabigoon, I do have rear chains for it.

Clint, you can use it all you want as long you want....in my driveway. wink

Paul, I've been looking into different types of heaters including magnetic block heaters, radiator hose heaters and oil pan heaters like you linked to. What's the best way to go? Maybe a combination of a couple different heaters?

best? a REAL block heater..
A block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes or directly into the block is best but the one I linked you to is a very good option and uses less energy than a true block heater and will transfer the heat better than a magnetic heater as it is siliconed directly to the oil pan.

You might want to go to your local dealer and find out if the engine is equipped for a block heater as it may be and all you would have to do is remove a plug and install the heater.

Say........you didn't get this tractor to farm Marigawanna and be medical care giver did ya? grin
Originally Posted by huntsman22
best? a REAL block heater..

You're talking immersion type, right?
The JD factory heater, at least for their smaller series of tractors, heats the radiator fluid, about where it comes out of the block and back to the radiator.

It's a Yanmar engine so it is probably Yanmar's design.
A block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes or directly into the block is best but the one I linked you to is a very good option and uses less energy than a true block heater and will transfer the heat better than a magnetic heater as it is siliconed directly to the oil pan.

You might want to go to your local dealer and find out if the engine is equipped for a block heater as it may be and all you would have to do is remove a plug and install the heater.

Say........you didn't get this tractor to farm Marigawanna and be medical care giver did ya? grin

Hey now, don't you be getting any rumors going. grin Besides, if that's all I was doing I'd just need a quiet corner of the basement, a 20 amp circuit to run my lights and a bunch of TuffR with the reflective coating on one side. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about that deal from my sister's first husband. shocked

I've been doing some reading on tractorbynet.com and there is an optional immersion type block heater available for this rig. I need to do some looking on the engine and find out which freeze plug it replaces and see how difficult an install it would be.
Thanks Sam. Biggest problem I'm having now is finding oil in the viscosity I want.

Skip the 10W-30 and use this:

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html

It's full synthetic and the 5W rating will give you better flow at low temp than the 10W stuff. Plus, you can find it at a reasonable price at any wal-mart. I'm a big believer in shell rotella diesel oil, my diesel jeep liberty uses the T6 and the rest of my diesel stuff (tractor & 1999 dodge cummins) use the regular 15W-40.

If you just have to have 10W-30 then use the T5 synthetic blend 10W-30, but you'd be better off with the T6 5W-40
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-1349443-9389410?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mobil+one+diesel+oil
I'd get a block heater in that baby.
The heating elements that replace freeze out plug are very good.

I like CAT block heaters that are external and pulls the coolant from one end of the block and puts back in the other.
Heaters in the radiator hoses suck.
We have 2 block plug heaters and a coolant pump type heater on the loaders. Use the pump unless it's really cold then we plug everything in.

And a tank full of #1 with some additive and the fancy synthetic engine oil. And the occasional shot of ether.

Nothing worse than dicking around for an hour or two in the morning trying to start a tractor.
I know im late to this but, old tractor being better than new sometimes refers to the fact that a 1950-60's tractor with the same horsepower will be bigger and heavier along with more torque. If you have ever seen a john deere B two cylinder tractor in a tractor pull, it is unreal what one can pull with with only 12HP. Even though the new small tractors have four wheel drive in many instances a "B" would pull them around. YMMV based on conditions
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We have 2 block plug heaters and a coolant pump type heater on the loaders. Use the pump unless it's really cold then we plug everything in.

And a tank full of #1 with some additive and the fancy synthetic engine oil. And the occasional shot of ether.

Nothing worse than dicking around for an hour or two in the morning trying to start a tractor.

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope this finds you and yours well and warm on this chilly morning.

Although I'm by no stretch either a diesel expert or live where it's extremely cold anymore, I did grow up with them in Saskabush and since moving here to BC we've had at least two diesel powered machines/vehicles on the place for over two decades.

I think it might be helpful if folks always remember two things with diesel engines, the first being that they need to be at full operating temperature to run correctly and efficiently.

The second is open for a wee bit of debate I suppose, but I've always contended that most engine or motor wear takes place in the time between a dead cold start and full running temperature.

As evidence I present all the diesel powered trucks that died premature deaths from folks using them in town to run for coffee or get the mail - which never brought them up to temperature and in many cases washed the cylinders.

You'll appreciate this I think Sam - a good friend in the Yukon told me that on his old Cummins Dodge he had an electric blanket heater for each battery, an oil pan heater and the block heater. He told me once, "When I plug it in Dwayne the lights in Dawson City go dim...." grin

Anyway Sam, not that you need it but I'm another former cold dweller and diesel engine enthusiast that whole heartedly agrees with your approach.

Oh, lastly though to the OP or anyone else - if the engine in question is a pre-chamber injection like our old '90 Jetta 1.6 or our Mitsubishi powered tractor is, then DO NOT use ether as it can blow the side of the intake off. Food for thought for sure, eh Sam? wink

Have a good weekend and do keep warm Sam.

Dwayne
Morning Dwayne, I should have mentioned only to use ether where 'applicable'. Don't use it on the pickups, etc.!
Good morning gentlemen, I'll toss in clean fuel filters for cold weather starting. Along with all the other advise that is.
Morning Richard, that is another good idea.

I'm just glad engines really only care about ambient temperature!
Sam and wabigoon;
Top of the morning to both of you gentlemen, hopefully you're both keeping warm this chilly morning.

It must be a sign I'm getting on in life as I can't seem to sleep in past 4:00 or so even on weekends AND it's the last day of whitetail season and I'm not inclined to go out because of the conditions.

We had a near record dump of snow last week so it's deeper than my knees where I usually chase whitetails and it's about -20� as well. Where the deer went now I don't know either, as I spent Friday morning marching about in the deep stuff and only found tracks heading into canyons that I will not be packing whitetail carcasses out of in these conditions.

Ah well, it looks like I'll be supporting the beef producers a bit more then - which you all need from time to time too, no? wink

Anyway I'm just saying good morning to you both and adding nothing useful about tractors or diesels except to say I'm really glad I don't have to use mine to plow this morning! laugh

Stay warm and all the best to you and your families gentlemen.

Dwayne
Dwayne, these short days have me screwed up as well. Go to bed about 8 or 9 and get up way too early.

Sit around for an hour or two and wait for the sun to come up.

And keep eating that beef, the whitetails think it's a good idea....grin
Inline heaters work faster , block heaters more complete (heats oil up better ) and inside combustion chamber
© 24hourcampfire