Home
Keee-rist! It's 40 degrees with 15 mph wind. I fear I may freeze to death.

Having only been in Texas a bit less than four years, I can't help wondering... Does this mean it's time to wear something other than shorts and a T-shirt?
Posted By: g5m Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Definite maybe.

Wait for the ice storm.
Posted By: krp Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
40 degrees means longjohns here in Az...

Kent
Posted By: eh76 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Hmmm it was -24�F when I left for work this morning...but it is a dry cold.
Posted By: rattler Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
also depends on humidity, here in northeast Montana when spring rolls around i wear t-shirts at 20*.....this last spring out at ScottF's i was wearing a wool jacked at 50*.....i phuggin hate humidity...
If it hit -24 in Texas life as we know it would cease...
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

EXACTLY!!!
Posted By: k20350 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
My cousin from Florida was up here in Michigan last year and it got to 30 degrees. He told me I was crazy for living up here 'cause "people die in this SH^T!!!"
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

EXACTLY!!!

crazy laugh laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by eh76
Hmmm it was -24�F when I left for work this morning...but it is a dry cold.

I considered possibly going up there to work... but that's why, doubt I could adapt.

71 degrees here right now, the granddaughter and I just got done sitting in the shade blowing soap bubbles.

Kent
Originally Posted by k20350
My cousin from Florida was up here in Michigan last year and it got to 30 degrees. He told me I was crazy for living up here 'cause "people die in this SH^T!!!"

Funny thing with the wind chill today. I was walking through a parking lot to grab lunch and an older gent asked, "Are you really out walking in this?"

I said, "No, I'm pretending to walk, because I'm too phuggin' cold to move."
Kent not much goes on outside with construction work when it is that cold. They don't even run crushers then.
Kent not much goes on outside with construction work when it is that cold. They don't even run crushers then.

The other thing here is it's all year in construction except rain days, which are seldom.

Though I promised myself I won't do concrete in the summers anymore here, 30+ summers is enough.

Kent
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
42 in Anchorage, kinda funny when it's warmer hear than Texas, in November.

Yea, I can see that weather spoiling you. Took a friend from Texas fishing last year and while the boys and I were in shorts and t shirts he was in jeans and a sweatshirt and the temps were in the 70's

[Linked Image]
That's because Texans only own two types of pants -- shorts and jeans.
Posted By: temmi Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Texas Has Ruined Me...

God bless Texas

Snake
One of the coldest times ever was when I was in Houston working on the railroad in March and it had been 80 and then a snap blew in off the Gulf turning it to around 40. It was miserable with that icy wind off the ocean. I've also been in some hellish ice storms down there.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by rattler
also depends on humidity, here in northeast Montana when spring rolls around i wear t-shirts at 20*.....this last spring out at ScottF's i was wearing a wool jacked at 50*.....i phuggin hate humidity...

This. I've been in T-shirts at 20-30F and for short perdiods and been fine. The wind and humidity here sucks and it's 40F and I freeze my ass off in a wool jacket for even a few minutes.

The coldest I ever got in a none hunting situation was 0F in Baton Rouge LA. Refineries run 24/7 365 and they had a boo boo otherwise known as an explosion related to the cold weather. Nothing beats climbing a pressure vessel to 200' in nothing but a nomex suit (which aren't windproof) because you didn't have a nomex rated jacket to try and measure something with a tape measure and then write it down lol. They changed the rule now and you can wear a non nomex jacket over your suit which helps.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

If it did I could skate to Cancun.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

If it did I could skate to Cancun.

You'd need a lot of tequila to stay warm enough to make it...
You all ought try working out side when it drop into the -70's at night and warms up to -55 to -60 during the day, I have doing seismic work. Cheers NC
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by northcountry
You all ought try working out side when it drop into the -70's at night and warms up to -55 to -60 during the day, I have doing seismic work. Cheers NC

Nope. I'll take 106*, 99% humidity and a ballistic vest any day. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14

Where was that?

Travis
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
When I lived in Idaho I told some people there about the cold winters in the florida panhandle . They didn't seem to believe 30* and windy felt like below 0* in Idaho.
A hunting bud here in florida has hunted alaska said it feels just like florida's cold days there .
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
I'd like to let Texas ruin me this time of year .... EVERY year!

Don't think I could put up with all the football though. Have to get a hockey fix somehow.
Posted By: EdM Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
We are in the mid-30's here on the island in Korea. Harsh winds off the sea make it darn cold. That said, dry air or not, I do not miss Alberta winters.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I had to break out the ski gear here in Cali - it was less than 50 last night....gasp.....
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Don't think I could put up with all the football though. Have to get a hockey fix somehow.

Baton Rouge had a "pro" hockey team for a while. Not sure what became of it.
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I had to break out the ski gear here in Cali - it was less than 50 last night....gasp.....

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by EdM
We are in the mid-30's here on the island in Korea. Harsh winds off the sea make it darn cold. That said, dry air or not, I do not miss Alberta winters.

To me the most bitter biting cold is when it's in the mid 30's and blowing drizzle. Not that I cared for -42 ambient or -90 with windchill blush
45 degrees with drizzling rain and freeze warning tonight in S. Louisiana. I lived in Kansas City, Mo for about 1 year in 1990-91. first time I ever witnessed a real ice storm. It started snowing on Nov 1 and didn't stop until the following April. It didn't take long for this coonass to get the hell back south. grin
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/13/14

corpus christi has a hockey team
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Hockey ???? What's that? wink

We use to have a team, here, also. It was a lotta fun to go to the games. Lots of mid sized towns, with a pop. of 60,000 have local teams. And of course, we have the Dallas Stars.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Originally Posted by deflave

Where was that?

Travis

Bullshitia Peninsula up in Canada.

It's uber cold there.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Unbearable for the most part here wink
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

We use to have a team, here, also. It was a lotta fun to go to the games. Lots of mid sized towns, with a pop. of 60,000 have local teams. And of course, we have the Dallas Stars.

Lots of CDNs head south every winter and go to games in Florida and Tx. A friend of mine just got back from Tampa for a week and caught two games there. Tickets were cheap and good seats to boot.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

ours are called the ice rays every time they score people throw dead stingrays out on the ice.
Posted By: EdM Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
When we lived in Midland we used to go to the Odessa Jackalopes games. Always had a great time there. Looks like they just lost to Corpus.

http://nahlodessa.pointstreaksites.com/view/nahlodessa/odessa-jackalopes-news-2/news_222308
Posted By: rost495 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
42 in Anchorage, kinda funny when it's warmer hear than Texas, in November.

Yea, I can see that weather spoiling you. Took a friend from Texas fishing last year and while the boys and I were in shorts and t shirts he was in jeans and a sweatshirt and the temps were in the 70's

[Linked Image]

Funny. Ate with friends here from wasilla yesterday. They said they needed to get home so they could warm up. Lol
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
30* with blowing rain is cold no matter where you are.
Posted By: antlers Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
I lived in Brazoria County for over a decade. It didn't get cold very often, but when it did...the high humidity down there made it seem like it was even colder than it was.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Originally Posted by krp

Kent
40 degrees would be tee shirt weather for me......
Posted By: rattler Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
new weather map

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Heat wave hit! It was 10� F this morning. It actually felt warm compared to yesterday. grin
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
here in south louisiana (below I-10) all it has to be is 40 degrees with a little wind and you'll be freezing, and even more so if you in a boat going down the bayou.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
Couple of Texas Roughnecks working in Alaska.

"How cold is it?"

"Thermometer says 30 below."

"Damn... ain't you glad we ain't in Borger."
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
I hunted elk yesterday in a fleece over a sweatshirt. Morning started at -11 and when I hit the truck after dark it was -4. During the day it was probably above zero. I put on 7 to 10 miles and kept the heat up most of the time. You could sure feel the cold come in after dark.
Hoping for some snow tonight.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
I believe steelhead commented one time, that coldest he had ever felt was hunting here in Texas.
Biggest buck I ever shot in Texas, down by Freer... I climbed into the stand in the dark wearing just light hunting pants and a T-Shirt. Cold front blew through a couple of hours later, and when I took the shot, the stand was literally vibrating from the wind, my knees were knocking and my teeth chattering. I still count that as one of my best shots on game.
Posted By: deflave Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/14/14
1.) When it's cold, it's cold.

2.) When it's hot, it's hot.

I don't give a fugg where you're located.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
1.) When it's cold, it's cold.

2.) When it's hot, it's hot.

I don't give a fugg where you're located.

Travis

I do. Either extreme is tolearable if hot chicks are involved...
Posted By: krp Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/15/14
Coldest 'known' temp I've been in is 4 degrees, on a late season elk hunt. Last year on my 83 year old dad's elk hunt it was 12 degrees at the cabin that morning. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to go out, he said, that's what we came for... chit...

So I drove him out, walked 100 yards to a ridge and he killed a cow 10 minutes later. My brother and I loaded her up and we spent the rest of the time playing cribbage around the stove.

I hate hunting in the cold.

[Linked Image]
Travis
That was in north central Alberta just west of the Rockies. The winter of 53-54. We crossed the tundra after freeze up between Christmas and New Years and almost didn't make it out the end of March. As I have said before the men were ok but it was hell on equipment nine (9) engines replaced. Cheers NC

When hunting for pheasants with a friend on some sprawling, cattail slough, public land in northwest Iowa last Tuesday. Temps were 11-12 degrees but with a 15 mph NW wind wind chill was easily below zero and has been mentioned we always have fairly high humidity - it was in the 70% range. If you didn't keep moving - and you had to be dressed just very right - the cold would cut right through you. And it's only November.

The birds didn't even want to get up.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/22/14
Biggest buck I ever shot in Texas, down by Freer... I climbed into the stand in the dark wearing just light hunting pants and a T-Shirt. Cold front blew through a couple of hours later, and when I took the shot, the stand was literally vibrating from the wind, my knees were knocking and my teeth chattering. I still count that as one of my best shots on game.

LOL. Thats why my backpack has light rain gear and extra socks, bottoms and some type of down jacket generally.... even if its 80, you never know what the next hour or three might bring...
Posted By: colodog Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/22/14
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IPKs2Quk6Ts[/video]
Posted By: Lslite Re: Texas Has Ruined Me... - 11/22/14
Work at an industrial port here on the coast.Have Russian sailors who complain about how cold it is in Texas.The Filipinos seem to tolerate the wet cold better.
© 24hourcampfire