Home
Posted By: Bristoe Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
9 McDonald's All Americans. Only 5 can play at a time. That means, no matter what,..at any given time during a game Kentucky will have 4 McDonald's All Americans sitting on the bench.

http://collegespun.com/features/the-2014-15-kentucky-wildcats-will-feature-9-mcdonalds-all-americans

Of course, during the recruiting process for this upcoming recruiting class, Calipari and his staff certainly could not have expected this type of unprecedented return in talent. Aaron and Andrew Harrison, Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee, Willie Cauley-Stein, and Dakari Johnson make for an amazing core by itself, but the �Cats also have four blue-chip recruits coming in. Trey Lyles, Karl Towns Jr., Devin Booker, and Tyler Ulis are each five-star recruits according to ESPN, and they are each one of the top five players at their position based on ESPN�s rankings. While many of them probably expected to start right away, there is now a log-jam for minutes at Kentucky.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
thats ok. None of the jiggaboos will stay more than a year. Hell, half of them won't qualify academically anyway.
I smell violations.

Calipari is a low down snake. Enjoy your negroes while you can B. grin
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Calipari is a low down snake.

Actually, Cal is the most honest NCAA coach out there.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/101252046/john-calipari-kentucky-ncaa-amateurism-season-preview

"People jumping at money is not particular to basketball," Calipari writes in his most recent book, "Or sports. It's just part of the human condition. It's what most people do, given the opportunity. And by the way, we're not talking about money that's out there for getting involved in something criminal. No, what these kids are faced with is having a big pile of money put in front of them for something they already love -- playing basketball. Are you kidding me?"

Sure, Coach Cal is no saint. He will, in his own words, forever wear the "black hat" as far as the NCAA, his peers, and much of the media are concerned. But in an operation that runs on pretense, and hypocrisy, and deceit, there's something to be admired about Calipari's brazen way of getting things done. Yes, he's going to recruit the best players in the world. Yes, he's going to help make them millionaires. And yes, he's far more concerned about their ball handling abilities and their quick first step than he is about whether they're still around for senior year. College basketball has become big business, and John Calipari is the ultimate tycoon. But at least he's living in reality, and not the absurd amateurist fantasy that the NCAA so desperately clings to.
He's left a trail of collateral damage in every place he's ever been.

My prediction is that he'll continue to win at Kentucky until the shtf and then he'll skip town and go to the NBA.

One thing is for sure, Kentucky is friggen loaded. It's almost unfair! cry

He's left a trail of collateral damage in every place he's ever been.

My prediction is that he'll continue to win at Kentucky until the shtf and then he'll skip town and go to the NBA.

One thing is for sure, Kentucky is friggen loaded. It's almost unfair! cry

Things are changing in big time college sports,..and right now the NCAA infraction people are under the microscope.

If they don't completely hammer North Carolina, they will lose all legitimacy.

And,...to hammer them in a manner that goes by the rules, they're going to have to make NC vacate almost 2 decades worth of wins and championships,...which will never happen.

Big time college sports have outgrown the NCAA organization.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ented-academic-fraud-case-will-test-ncaa
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
In light of football activity the SEC may just need basketball this and next year.

Thanks Kentucky!!

BTW Virginia will a player this year as well.
Yeah that North Carolina thing is pretty egregious. It'll be interesting to watch it play out.

You might be right about the whole 'too big to fail' dynamic.
Halftime of the Kentucky/Buffalo NY game right now.

Kentucky down by 5 at *home*.

who-eee,...I wouldn't want to hear the halftime rant.
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
With the loaded talent they should be up by 20 over Buffalo.
True enough.

It's been an ugly game so far.
And just like that it's tied up.

Trey Lyles, a freshman forward, comes out and scores 5 points in the first minute of the second half.
Posted By: lastround Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
Go Kat's.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
does this in any way affect the availability of the McRib sandwich?
Posted By: MColeman Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by cutNshoot

I'm the least knowledgeable person re: basketball at the fire but if the five players for a team are not playing as a team they're in trouble. If you have five players fighting each other for the glory and the limelight you don't have a game, you have a free-for-all.
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by cutNshoot

I'm the least knowledgeable person re: basketball at the fire but if the five players for a team are not playing as a team they're in trouble. If you have five players fighting each other for the glory and the limelight you don't have a game, you have a free-for-all.

Youth is Kentucky's issue every year. This year is a bit different. There's a bit of experience back from last year, but there's a lot of freshmen also.

The freshmen don't really understand how aggressive the college game is and there's no way to explain it to them. They've got to get beat up a while before they know.

Buffalo has some big, aggressive players. It's a good learning experience.

In any event, Kentucky is up by double figures now,..so all is right with the world in the Bluegrass.
In a related note, my Gophers got stomped last night by Louisville 81-68.

The battle between father and son coaches. Father kicked his youngster's ass.
Rick Pitino's teams always play hard. He had a dynasty going on here before the Celtics offered him 50 million dollars.

Then we got Tubby Smith.

Then you got him.
Yeah...he really sucked.

I remember the day we hired Tubby and was thinking, this is it baby! Good times ahead!

Wrong.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by Bristoe
And just like that it's tied up.

Trey Lyles, a freshman forward, comes out and scores 5 points in the first minute of the second half.

Watched Trey play HS ball here in Indy. Wasn't fun watching him go to UK...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/17/14
Well,...don't feel too bad.

If he keeps playing like he did today his college career is only going to last one year.

He'll go NBA next year.
UK fans need to get excited about basketball. Though they are used to that. After the a$$rape they took against Tennessee last Saturday, as usual, the football team needs to wear brown paper bags over their heads for a month or so.

Kentucky football is a painful thing.

I've spent many, many Saturdays sitting in Commonwealth Stadium back during my youth, but one day I couldn't do it any more.
I don't go to Commonwealth Stadium unless they are playing Alabama.

When I was playing at Eastern, they wouldn't play us either. You probably won't see them play Western anymore, either.

pitiful joke.

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

When I was playing at Eastern, they wouldn't play us either.

I remember that. I would have liked to have seen it.
Posted By: Teal Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/17/14
Randall Cobb is the best to come out of KY - IMO...
Originally Posted by teal

And he's a Tennessee boy. He single handedly kicked my high school out of the playoffs when he was at Alcoa.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/17/14
I am sure Florida will kick KY's ass all over the court this year, just like they did last year.
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Originally Posted by teal

And he's a Tennessee boy. He single handedly kicked my high school out of the playoffs when he was at Alcoa.

He absolutely is a Tennessee boy. Helluva good football player.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/19/14
Well,...that was interesting.

Kentucky just held the preseason #5 ranked team in the country to 40 points and beat them by 32.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/19/14
Kansas didn't have much fight left in 'em after about the 8th blocked shot
On which possession?

lol,...just read that it was the least points Kansas has scored in a game in 25 years.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/19/14
the first of course
Calipari usually tries to be a bit diplomatic in the post game interview, but you could tell,..he just wanted to holler out, "WAS THAT AN ASS WHUPPIN' OR NOT?"
Where did I put my riot gear? Guess I'll need that [bleep] in early April again.
I don't shiv a git.
As far as I'm concerned they can all dribble their ebonic axxes back to an african ebola infested jungle.
What are these "stellar" monkeyshines "studying" in kolledge? Mahdik and white women?
If you haven't noticed there is a war against white people by these sons of Obozo.... I won't give them the time of day much less my money.
Ef'em all
okay
Posted By: lastround Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/19/14
Go 'Cats!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/20/14
I would agree with the thread title, and I would add that it is a problem for college basketball as a whole.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/20/14
why?
What's good for one team is seldom good for the sport as a whole.
Yeah theY destroyed Kansas.

This thing could get pretty ugly by March. They be good.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
What's good for one team is seldom good for the sport as a whole.

So,...college basketball should be modeled after communism?

,...that every team should get players "according to its needs"?
Not at all - I would no more like to see that than to have it modeled after captialism where the team that invests the most and/or the most wisely is the most succesful.

I would like to see each team composed of students from the general student body who came to the school for a rigorous academic challenge and who participate in athletics as a diversion - just my preference.
Not at all - I would no more like to see that than to have it modeled after captialism .

What do you dislike about capitalism?
Capitalism is alive and well in the NBA.

Capitalism shouldn't be alive and well under the guise of a college education should it?

Spare me the fact that CBS makes money off these kids. Someone could form a minor league if they wanted...correct?
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/20/14
I still say watch out for Bennett and the VA Cavaliers. They're building something special and developmental.
Capitalism is alive and well in the NBA.

Capitalism shouldn't be alive and well under the guise of a college education should it?

For the most part, a college education is obtained in order to more successfully participate in the practice of capitalism.
Simply put,..people go to college so they can make more money.
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 11/20/14
It also sounds pretty cool during pro player self - introductions.

"Maximus Samsonite...The U!"
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/06/14
Texas has a powerful team this year,..very big and physical.

They out-rebounded Kentucky by 12,..played a very good zone defense and caused Kentucky to go 1 for 12 from 3 point range.

It was tough. Kentucky only beat them by 12 points.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/13/14
North Carolina wasn't enough.

Almost Christmas and haven't lost one yet.

UCLA up next.

The fun part of the season is here.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/13/14
Well,...don't feel too bad.

If he keeps playing like he did today his college career is only going to last one year.

He'll go NBA next year.

Yeah, and if the Pacers keep losing they'll get a lottery pick. Wouldn't be a bad thing to get a hometown boy in the draft...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/21/14
Stomped UCLA's ass in a rather major fashion.

It's getting very interesting.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...r-seen-a-team-like-kentucky-in-24-years/
do you think they'll go undefeated this season Bristoe?

I've yet to see them play but would like to, seems they have a NBA junior team playing against other colleges from what I've read of your postings this season.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
do you think they'll go undefeated this season Bristoe?

It's looking more likely than before.

They jumped out to a 24 to 0 lead on UCLA yesterday,...held them to 7 points in the first half. After that Kentucky didn't even seem to be playing hard. I wouldn't exactly say that Cal has been holding the team back against some opponents, but it's obvious that he's not pushing them real hard either.

Word has it that the toughest games they play is during practice against each other.

The hardest game they've had all season was against Texas. Texas is big and plays very physical. That's the only way to come at this Kentucky team and have any hope of winning.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/21/14
What is this game contested by black peoples with a large round ball and a circle in the sky?
I watched some of that ucla game. There's no doubt in my mind that they'd stomp the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Kentucky/Louisville comes up next on the 27th.

That *could* be the toughest game Kentucky plays all season. Louisville doesn't have the size or the talent of Kentucky but Pitino is a hell of a game coach and he understands how to play to his strengths.

Willy Cauly Stein is Kentucky's best all around player by a sizable margin,..a 7 footer that runs the floor like a 6'3" guard. On defense he's everywhere and he's very effective against every player from the guards to the center. But he's not particularly physical. He's no wimp,...far from it, but he plays a finesse game, which is very unusual for a 7 footer.

I look for Pitino to put somebody on him and play him rough.

Seems like he may be getting Harrell worked up for it.

Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
2PM!!!! Going to be a good one!!!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
looking forward to this game.

Pitino will his team ready - this won't be Kansas or UNC
This is important because????
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
I certainly haven't seen any great basketball so far. Has looked sort of like two main battle tanks who have crushed (literally) the rest of the field in the Indy 500 now grinding onward, colliding with each other, and in the end someone will say, "What a great race!"
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
You kiddin'?

This is a *great* game.

Hard nose defense everywhere.
Poor shot selection, poor shooting percentage on shots with room, turn-overs, lots of uncalled travels, lots of uncalled fouls. It is closely contested, but it isn't great basketball.
Posted By: okok Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
I don't shiv a git.
As far as I'm concerned they can all dribble their ebonic axxes back to an african ebola infested jungle.
What are these "stellar" monkeyshines "studying" in kolledge? Mahdik and white women?
If you haven't noticed there is a war against white people by these sons of Obozo.... I won't give them the time of day much less my money.
Ef'em all

lmao
Poor shot selection, poor shooting percentage on shots with room, turn-overs, lots of uncalled travels, lots of uncalled fouls. It is closely contested, but it isn't great basketball.

That's what physical basketball looks like.

Pitino's teams *al*ways play rough. That's why he's ranked #4 in the country with rather typical division 1 talent.

What you're witnessing is a finesse team (kentucky) having to find a way to win against a team that spend its free time in the weight room. Pitino knows that he can't win playing Kentucky's game, so he's doing what he has to do,..draw blood.

Kentucky, on the other hand, is having to adapt their play and toughen up.

Hell yes,...this is as good as college basketball gets.

If you want to see "pretty" basketball, you watch NBA. they don't play defense in the NBA.

Big time college basketball is based on defense,..and some of the best games are the most physical games.

The second half is going to get even more physical.

It seems that Saruman has loosed his Uruk-Hai on college athletics, which has gleefully embraced them.
I don't disagree with any of your assement; I just don't think it is basketball but is some other contest played without regard to the rules of basketball. In any contact sport, you can play in such a way that it takes control of the game away from the officials - "They can't possibly call us every time we do this, so we'll continue to do it the way we want to do it."
Now it's starting to stink. The refs have allowed Louisville to play bruiser ball all the first half, now they're calling touch fouls against Kentucky.
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/27/14
Cats are starting to kick some azz.
Well,...that was a fun game.

It had it all,...hostile crowd,..chitty refs,...bloody players,..Kentucky's best big man in foul trouble most of the second half, and still beat the undefeated #4 ranked team in the country.

Tyler Ulis should be seeing more time at the point. That little guy's a player.
I like Willis
I stand by all of my comments.
Kentucky won the game 58-50,...but you *know* you've been jobbed by the refs when the box score total show 20 fouls on Kentucky and only 16 on a team like Louisville,...who is known far and wide for its physical style of play.
I stand by all of my comments.

Well,....you have to understand the Kentucky/Louisville rivalry.

This is what it looked like a couple of years ago.

It's always rough.

Flop of the year by Louisville

Tyler Ulis should be seeing more time at the point. That little guy's a player.

This is why:

Included in today's stats, 14 points, 0 turnovers, 3 stitches.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/tyler-ulis-had-more-stitches-than-turnovers/
That guy should have been thrown out of the game.
Of all the crap that the officials let go, they did get that one right.
Posted By: broomd Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/28/14
10 minutes I'll never get back....
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/28/14
lots of great defense in that game. RP is not looking too good these days.

BTW....Any way you look at it KY is gonna be danged hard to beat. They are deep in talent as any team I can ever recall.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/28/14
Originally Posted by broomd
10 minutes I'll never get back....

Stay the fug outta this thread and you won't have to worry about it again,..azzhole.

This is for us,...you're not welcome here,...so piss off.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/28/14
Originally Posted by byc
lots of great defense in that game. RP is not looking too good these days.

Actually,...I have to disagree.

Pitino came in and made a game out of playing a team that stomped #5 ranked Kansas into the ground and held UCLA to 7 fuggin' points in the entire first half,...and he ain't got a name player on the team.

Pitino did okay.

3 or 4 possessions could have given him the victory.

He's a hell of a coach,....maybe he's not much of a human being,....but he does plenty enough to keep his job.
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 12/28/14
Actually, I meant health-wise. Post-game he had that look in his eyes that almost spells out heart problems. But then he is an excitable guy. And some of that might be my fault for sitting right behind his bench when the Knicks visited the Bullets. Washington fans were brutal towards Coach P.

Game-wise he did great!
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 01/05/15
B! Better look out for UVA!!

Bennett has something special brewing there!!

Go Hoooooooos!!!!
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 01/10/15
A&M giving the Cats all they can handle.

Aggies up by 3 at the half. They were up by 11.

WOW took KY 2 OT's to put the Aggies away!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 03/01/15
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 03/01/15
Congrats on SEC!

Now the fun begins!
Yeah,...they turned it up today against Arkansas. This team is 29-0 and so far, they've just been playing hard enough to win.

Of course, they could be beat,....but some team is going to really be having a good day to do so.

I'm looking forward to seeing them play against some other big conference teams. Gonzaga could be interesting,...as could Virginia and Arizona.
Gonzaga is ho-hum. I watched them the other night and wasn't overly impressed.

The big 10 doesn't have jack this year either.
The refs apologized to Kentucky today with their calling and thing is they did not need any help. They put an ass whooping on the Razorbacks. miles
Oh,...I didn't see the refs calling a real bad game. They put 2 fouls on Karl Towns and removed him from the first half of the game right off the bat. After that they allowed some contact on both ends of the floor until Coach Anderson threw his fit and got a technical. Then they tightened it up.
BYU beat Gonzaga tonight.

Restin' my case.
Oh,...I didn't see the refs calling a real bad game.

You had your Kentucky blinders on then. Kentucky was bigger and they let them maul Arkansas for the better part of the game. I will admit that I do not like the current way the game is called. They let the ball handler use his free arm way too much, to ward off the defense, and they do not call palming the ball near enough. But the main thing is that underneath the basket you can get by with assault, damn near, and out front they will call a touch foul. Your Kentucky big man with the funny name, got by with Chicken winging his man on damn near every play, and he had arms long enough to do it well. Another thing about the ref's, everywhere is they give the highest ranked team better calls than the underling. Not just Kentucky but even Arkansas when they are playing a lesser ranked opponent. It happens in football too. miles
[Linked Image]

20 personal fouls called on Arkansas, 19 on Kentucky, including 4 each on our post players.

Portis plays 32 minutes and only picked up one foul?
20 personal fouls called on Arkansas, 19 on Kentucky, including 4 each on our post players.

Just because it comes out even in the box scores does not mean it was even on the floor. Kentucky had the best team, by far. I am in no way trying to dispute that. miles
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 03/07/15
31-0 for the regular season.

Now the *real* season begins.
Posted By: byc Re: Big problem in Kentucky - 03/07/15
Gators never had a chance!

Nice run by the Cats!
© 24hourcampfire