Home
Posted By: Whelenman Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
What did you get, pics, storys??
Posted By: Teal Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
I hunted Sat and Sun am.

I saw (total) 16 does, 2 different spike horns, 2 different fork horns, 2 different basket 8 pointers.

Pulled the trigger on nothing.

My son, at 8 am shot his 2nd deer of his career. I heavy and tallish 7 point. Little bastard's 2/2 with his Ruger 243.

First deer last year was @ 60 yards, this one at 80.

View from my stand - 3 degrees out when I took this:

[Linked Image]

The runt's buck:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mr. Woo - get the sled......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
We had no idea this deer was on the property. There are still 2 good sized 8 points and 3 10 points worth shooting and I'm holding out for them.

I head back LATE Tuesday night to hunt the rest of the week.
Posted By: old70 Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
Saw 27 separate deer yesterday, for 33 total sightings. We're antler restricted, so one of the three bucks I saw was a non-shooter. The first I missed, been years since buck fever. The second, a decent 8 pt, was chasing a group of nine does and fawns, and paused for a moment when I shot. He ran about 95 yards uphill and required a finisher after taking a 110 gr. accubond at 2900 through the right shoulder and out in front of the left shoulder. Tiny exit wound, but the right shoulder was mush. One of the club members took the deer I missed this morning, a very nice 10 pt. lots of sightings, lots of fawns made it through last winter. Good times, has to leave for work, but wil go again after thanksgiving.
Posted By: JoeMama Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
My youngest brother and I both passed on this guy so my nephew could have a crack at it. The nephew's stand is a couple of hundred yards down the trail.

[Linked Image]

This picture has been floating round town. Supposedly whacked by a lady in Eaton Rapids with a minivan the day before opening day

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
Out of 11 hunters, we took 4 bucks and a doe, 2 8pts a six and a huge 5pt. no brow tines I saw 11 deer in 2 days, 2 were spikes, 1 buck chaseing a doe, have to count points now so couldnt tell what he was! deer numbers are down in my area. still have 12 days to go tho!
Posted By: jbmi Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
8 does and fawns, have a doe permit but missed on a nice one about 120 yds, some brush in the way but didn't show up in the scope.
Let the mama's walk if there were fawns in the group.
Some nice bucks on the trail cam, but we didn't see any.
Very quiet opener for a Sat., may have heard a total of 6 shots.
Try again Wed.
Posted By: passport Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
Saw 6 bucks on opening day, killed a 6pt at 8:45 and an 8pt at 2:30, both chasing does. The guys that hunt across the road from me usually really do well and came up empty this year. All the bucks were on my side this year smile

[Linked Image]

Yanked gut with this Crotts

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
So far, nothing to report here in the West michigan area......although there were fresh Bear tracks where we built a fire and roasted our lunch sausages on opening day!
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
I hunted the first 3 mornings here south of Ann Arbor and never saw a deer. They just picked the first few rows in the last standing corn field around. I'll wait until Thursday and head out to my tripod that overlooks where the cornfield borders the woods. :-)
Posted By: PAMac Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/17/14
An 11 pointer my son's best friend shot in Decatur opening morning about 6 minutes into shooting hours.... 180 dressed

Friend of mine also shot an 11 point 205 dressed in Cassopolis 2nd day of season.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/18/14
We hunt in the Lewiston and Atlanta area. As a group we saw a fair amount of deer. We took an 8pt and 2 does. I do believe the antler restrictions are working.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/18/14
My dad has property in Nunica in Ottawa county. Saturday morning, everything dried up. Sounded like crockery township was taking on the Taliban. Sunday morning didn't see squat for tracks in the fresh snow. Neighbor to the east didn't see anything, neighbor to the west got a small 6pt. As of Friday we had some nice bucks on the camera, they just went to different parts of MI.

I can't get out again til this weekend and I hope it picks up.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by Mac84
We hunt in the Lewiston and Atlanta area. As a group we saw a fair amount of deer. We took an 8pt and 2 does. I do believe the antler restrictions are working.

Mac is there much snow on the ground around Atlanta? Headed up there for the first week of December...

Thanks!
Posted By: passport Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/19/14
[quote=passport]Saw 6 bucks on opening day, killed a 6pt at 8:45 and an 8pt at 2:30, both chasing does. The guys that hunt across the road from me usually really do well and came up empty this year. All the bucks were on my side this year smile

[Linked Image]
Yanked gut with this Crotts

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PAMac Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/20/14
Three 130 score bucks and better, here in south west Michigan..... Two are 11 point.... One 10 point
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/20/14
Was on Bois Blanc island and got a big doe with a 9.3 cast bullet never saw a 3 on a side buck but a buddy got a nice 8pt and a doe. Had a great time Clint
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/20/14
Shot a 9 point in Eaton Rapids Saturday with the NULA MZ

Posted By: 405wcf Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/20/14
Hunted in Eaton Co. Probably saw a 12-15 different deer opening morning. One 8 pt, couple 6 pts, two fork horns. Let the bucks walk and both dad and I shot does.

Saturday evening I did see a 105-110" buck that I believe was wounded from the morning at about 60yds but could not shoot for safety reasons. Sad to see.

I really believe I heard a lot less shooting than usual, and on Sunday evening only counted six shots. I have heard similar reports from friends. I suspect hunter numbers are down.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Michigan deer hunters - 11/20/14
Local paper reported a decrease in license sales. They cited the higher costs and the new base license as reasons why. Oh well.
Coldest 5 days of deer hunting that I can remember in a long time. We had over a foot of snow in the woods for the opener. The last few days the windchill has gone below zero and we got another 12". Had to blaze trail in 4WD just to get to someplace near our stands. Walking in that stuff is whole 'nother story.

So far with 5 hunters in camp; zero hanging, 1 miss. I personally had 33 sightings, crosshairs on a 6pt., and saw 3 different spikes. Lots of hunters in the woods Sat, fewer Sun, next to none Mon and Tues. Everybody's back home now. I'm going up after Thanksgiving solo.
© 24hourcampfire