Home
Leaving Friday to go to Bozeman for a week. The girlfriends mom and step dad live there. We are planning on going to spend a couple days in Jackson the first part of next week. Any must do must see things in either town or place close by. I have been there when I was a teen and snowmobiled through Yellowstone and I remember passing by the elk refugee and thats about it. Any recommendations for places to eat, bars, etc.?

I noticed Montana has some left over OTC non resident tags left.... Anyone want to drag me a long on a hunting trip???!!

Matt
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a place to eat or drink. Got to say I was heart broken last time I was in Jackson. Had been there to meet an outfitter -Bob Adams- on one of my first big game hunts. There was a boardwalk with about 4 bars and a couple of stores. Stopped in a couple years back to visit with a friend and couldn't recognize the place except for the silver dollar bar.
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Leaving Friday to go to Bozeman for a week. The girlfriends mom and step dad live there. We are planning on going to spend a couple days in Jackson the first part of next week. Any must do must see things in either town or place close by. I have been there when I was a teen and snowmobiled through Yellowstone and I remember passing by the elk refugee and thats about it. Any recommendations for places to eat, bars, etc.?

I noticed Montana has some left over OTC non resident tags left.... Anyone want to drag me a long on a hunting trip???!!

Matt

�the "Gun Barrel" restaurant is a really cool place to go for dinner----guns and dead critters on the walls----can get bison and elk as well as steak and trout for dinner. They've gone down hill a little in the past couple of years, but still a neat place to eat dinner. North of town is the wildlife art museum---if you're into wildlife art, it's a definite place to go. The Wort Hotel is a great destination for dinner or drinks and the Million $ Cowboy bar across from the town square is a must-see (bar stools are saddles). The town square has elk antler arches in all four corners=a great photo op. The Bunnery (a block north of the square) is a must place breakfast=wonderful pastries.

edit: all of the above is in Jackson
�..also in Bozeman is Westley Richards:

Westley Richards Agcy USA LLC
Bozeman, MT
3810 Valley Commons Dr # 2
Bozeman MT 59718-6477

It's been a few years (i.e 8 or9) since I've been there; last time looked thru the gun safe and bought some Courtney Shoes for my wife and myself. It's not quite as nice as it was when it was in Springfield, MO, but still worth a visit if you like fine sxs shotguns.
national (international?) museum of wildlife art, 3-5 miles north of Jackson. Much better than I thought it would be, spent 2-3 hours there easy.

Sycamore
For me, there isn't much in Jackson that interests me. It is too touristy. Now the scenery is phenomenal.

In Bozeman, no eating places really come to mind. If you go down the valley a little to either Manhattan or Logan, there are a couple pretty good steakhouses (The Oasis in Manhattan and Land of Magic in Logan). For the love of all things good, don't give Turner any money by eating at his restaurant. There are some nice day hikes in the Bozeman area up Hyalite Canyon or in the Bridgers. You can drive up the Gallatin and find some other nice trails.

I would hit the museum of the Rockies while in Bozo and if you're a guitar person, I think Gibson Guitar has a facility there. Another outfit based in Bozeman that is worth a stop is Mystery Ranch Bacjkpacks. Good gear!

Head across the pass to Livingston and there a couple bars and the Rib and Chop House which is a pretty fair restaurant. Lots of fishing shops there and in Bozo too.

If I had any time to do any hunting for certain, I'd drag you along. But as it is, I am struggling to find a day or 2 to head west after another elk. Got a cow already, now need to find another cow or bull that my A tag will work for.
From what I hear, the winter high season doesn't start for a few or two. Will the places you have mentioned be open?

Still waiting on that invite to hunt! I will return the favor with a true old fashioned southern quail hunt walking behind German short haired pointers in the georgia pines!
Dan Bailey's fly Shop in Livingston comes to mind if you are into fly fishing and Hallowells if you are into really high end guns, I am sure you can find a good steak some place, not much for drinking so I am no help there! If its not to cold next week wet a fly line and some nymphs and streamers!
Don't know if you are into this sort of thing but I believe there are still a few bronze sculpture galleries there. Use to go there alot in the 70s and 80s. You need to take in the refuge it is amazing if the elk have started to winter there and a trip to the teton village and a ride up the tram for a great view.
Thanks for all that good ideas guys. Keep them coming!
In Bozeman..Aleworks on East Main is good - bar, food and service.. Open only for dinner..
Blackbird Italian on Kagy is pretty new, and good. Across the street from the museum of the rockies, which is a good time.
Western Cafe on east main is an OG breakfast cafe..
Rib and Chop house in Livingston is good, not a long drive, interesting town.. Sir Scott's in Manhattan is worth the short drive.
Shedhorn sports in Ennis is about 45 minutes away, good gun store, nice drive if the weather is good. Crappy if bad.

What to do in Bozeman and Jackson??

Only suggest that based on distant memories, things might have changed?
Check this...

Attached picture MomNJackson.JPG
Sir Scotts Oasis in Manhattan MT. for an old fashioned MT Steakhouse dinner.
Meet shrapnel.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Meet shrapnel.

Travis

Yes.

I am out of my element here but did eat at the Rib and Chop House (IIRC) in Livingston based on Shrap's recommend. It was good; met him, Mule Deer, his better half, and some other very pleasant 'fire folk.
We get up to Jackson a few times each year to see our sons. All the tourist stuff in and around the square is nice. Some of the shops command an oil baron's salary for sure, but are interesting. As for eating; we like the Snake River Brewery and a local place south of town called The Bird. Its a beer and burger joint with an attitude. Plus the owner has a free shuttle van back into town if your DD falls off the wagon (just tip the driver). The Bunnery as mentioned is great for breakfast, bring an appetite. Pearl Street Bagels has great coffee and fresh made bagels. Not to mention that the gals working there are quite attractive and I know they find me irresistible by the way they ignore me as one look my way and they would not be able to control themselves.

If it is still open (last winter they shut down seasonally) the interpretive center at the south entrance to Teton National Park is a good stop.Nearby is Dornan's Restaurant. Good food and a great view. The Wildlife Art Museum is worth the visit. Snow has set into town and elk may be heading to the refuge. The Moulton Barn, allegedly the most photographed barn in the US, with the Teton Mtns as its backdrop is a short ride out of town on Antelope Flats Road. Finally, if you are into history and museums, the Jackson History Museum, across from the Forest Service offices on Cache St has a good perspective on the areas roots.

If you don't mind a ride, head over to Dubois and the Bighorn Sheep interpretive center and a ride into Whiskey Basin where they winter over. They were already coming down when I was there in late October. Be sure to stop at the Cowboy cafe for homemade pie. Another good side trip is to Pinedale and the Museum of The Mountain Man. Both rides offer spectacular scenery and are about 90 minutes one way.

Have a great trip!
isn't Schnee's located in Bozeman? Should be good for a stop, just bring your wallet
http://www.schnees.com/
Most Wyoming people avoid Jackson like the plague, there are so many other places so much nicer and more interesting.
At this time of year Jackson will have a few business closed.

If the ski lift is open take a ride to the top to look the area open. As for eating places there are many on the main drag, it just depend on what you want to spend.

The art gallery's make sure your take a hi limit cc or just look around. Walking the street was ok, however i usually drive through during tourist season and it is busy.

Boseman, more to my liking, they have a hatters business to have a custom hat made for you and the misses.

Some good gun stores for you to look at and shop from low end to very high end. WR shop had some nice rifles and shotguns. This would be your chance to pick up a nice double rifle or have one special built for you. Talk to Trigger.

Schnee's is always worth the stop to shop for some clothing or vest's. they also have custom knives and rifles for display and ordering.

Being a college town there are many eating places. and if you get bored head over to Billings and take in Cabela's and some other good sporting stores.
Originally Posted by Robster
isn't Schnee's located in Bozeman? Should be good for a stop, just bring your wallet
http://www.schnees.com/

That's all I ever did my one time passing through Bozeman. Stopped at Schnees for a couple of things, a lot of drooling, and 'Montana" tee shirts to take home to the wife and kids.
Had a good dinner at Aleworks tonight and a damn good hefeweizen they had on tap. On to Jackson Monday.
Don't know where you're staying but the Antlers & the Elk Country are both decent. Elk Country has some cabins & will accept dogs.

Gun Barrel is a good dinner restaurant.

There's a decent breakfast place almost right across the street from the Antlers on Pearl St........can't remember the name but it's open early.

Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is a must see.........lots of shops & restaurants that come & go around the town square. Dan Bailey's if you fly fish.

Stay away from the Snake River Brewery.

Should be some elk on the refuge & take time to go over to Jackson Hole ski area.

MM

Go see a movie at the Ellen Theater...northside of Main street.

Stacie's Bar in Gallatin Gateway...
Most of Bozeman will be in mourning as they just got there AZZ handed to them again by the Griz.

Gun Barrel in Jackson for dinner, Billy Burgers for lunch. Walk around the town, Jack Dennis is good for fly fishing stuff. Dornans has a shop too. Rellax and do the touristy thing. Sleighs should be open on the elk refuge (maybe) and doing the tour is AWESOME. Lots of big bulls to look at. Wildlife art museum is good to. Million Dollar cowboy bar for drinking.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/things-to-do/sleigh-rides.html

Bozeman, lots of fly shops.
© 24hourcampfire