Home

Not a bucket list item, but I'm wanting to try a 30-30 one of these days. Hell I've never even shot one..

So which one and why - I'm not worried about doing it cheap as much as buying one I won't hate because its low quality.

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot
get an old model 336.
I like the old pre-safety Marlin 336
I think it will be a lever action. The only 30-30 I ever had was a single shot Break action. I traded it off without even shooting it.
Win 94 with a peep. Ct made marlin if scoped.

If you have a choice I would go older. The old gold trigger marlins were great. For the win 94's older in good condition is better.
easy answer is that there are only two to buy. Winchester or Marlin. With both, eschew the new models, and buy an older rifle.
Then you can't go wrong.
Something like this Marlin 336 would do nicely
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Not a bucket list item, but I'm wanting to try a 30-30 one of these days. Hell I've never even shot one..

So which one and why - I'm not worried about doing it cheap as much as buying one I won't hate because its low quality.

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot
If you get a Winchester, I'd get a pre-64. Some don't like the Marlins after Remington took over. IMO, Winchester if you don't need a scope, Marlin if you want one.

[Linked Image]
I have no experience with the newly made Marlin rifles so can't comment on those.

The older Marlin rifles have an advantage if like me, you need a scope for anything over 50 yards blush Most are D&T'd for scope mounting from the factory.

They are also easy to clean from the breach. Every one of the Older Marlins I own (5 in different calibers) are quality guns and have given me no problems over the last 30 years.

A Winchester model 94 was my first gun, Dad bought it for me the day I was born in 1960.

I still have it and it still works perfectly all these years and rounds later. I just wish I could see the buckhorn sights like I used too.

The Winchester is much harder to mount a scope on unless you find one of the AE models. There are some good peep sights available for them though.

Either is a quality rifle imo and depending on personal preference either is a good choice.
Spotshooter;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and keeping sufficiently warm in this first blast of winter.

While I'm by no means an expert on all things .30-30 - I am going to assume from your OP that you meant a lever rifle?

If not then I'd say that a Savage 340 or Remington 788 would most likely give the best accuracy potential IF that's what you're after.

I've played with a few older Winchesters - 1901, 1903, 1958 and a couple from the '60's and '70's. My current truck/camping rifle is a 94 from the mid '70's and while it is OK, I've played with a couple others made then that were not great in craftsmanship or material.

If possible then I'd say if you want a Winchester and your budget can stand it, then a "shooter" from the late '50's would be my first choice.

Just this past year I played around seriously with my first Marlin 336 - from the mid '70's as it turned out and overall it was a pretty fair rifle.

As an aside, when I say played around - there's a number of things I do to lever actions that stay here to make them work better day in and day out. I can maybe find a link to a thread I did on it years ago if there's interest - but anyway the older Winchesters pretty much came that way from the factory and didn't need any mods - I can't say about the older Marlins.

Shot of both truck/camping guns this spring.
[Linked Image]

Oh sorry - if you'd like to use a scope then the 336 is the way to go.

Anyway that's just one guy's experience with some samples of lever guns. Hopefully it was useful information for you or someone this morning.

Good luck with your rifle search whichever way you choose and on your remaining hunts this fall/winter.

Dwayne
Agree with the others, get an older Marlin 336. Pre safety if possible.

maddog
Pre rem marlin. Pre safety if possible. Be sure it has "jm" stamped on the barrel.
I'd look for one with a bolt handle on the side and chambered in something different.

Travis
Agree to look at something older - it's only right. Felt same as you, just curious, hefted a few and wasn't sold until stumbled on a Marlin Model 1893, octagon, full length, est. 1906-15 vintage. *That's* a 30-30, I said. Sure it's heavier and longer than necessary, but it feels just right and it's one of the rifles the cartridge debuted in. Just got it cleaned up and itching to try it.

[Linked Image]
If you can find one of the old Savage 99's in .30-30 in good shape, with a good bore....you're golden...puts all those other leverguns to shame.
love the thutty thutty

hate to guess how many levers we have or have passed through our hands here

haven't used one on a hunt since a kid hunting whitetails

but don't think they won't get er done

bestest pard's son used my old truck gun (early win 94) to take his first moose, 46 incher

ime they're handier than a pocket t'shirt or sliced bread
Without question a pre-64 M94. I picked up my mint 1957 one whilst living in Alberta. They were relatively inexpensive up there.
Originally Posted by cra1948
If you can find one of the old Savage 99's in .30-30 in good shape, with a good bore....you're golden...puts all those other leverguns to shame.

That's serious truth right there! Not as easy to find though, I finally bought one on GB a couple days ago and I'm really looking forward to getting my paws on it.
I'll need to use a scope
I'll need to use a scope

Then a Marlin is your rifle.
Those are nice Dwayne.
[Linked Image]

Just snapped.
Henry and Mosberg are options. I have had both the Marlin and Winchester they both have pro and cons.

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot

go for a SAvage lever action bullets are all in the receiver for better balance,,they are setup for peep sights ,and if not drilled and tapped for scope , there are mounts available to mount scopes .

Savage made their last 30-30 in about 1946 but there's about 20 modles to chose from.

with all bullets in the receiver it allows you to use pointed bullets which are not recomended in Marlin or Winny rifles.

norm
I am a Marlin guy but I don't think that you can go wrong with a Winchester or a Savage. Nothing handles better in the N.C. mountains than a lever gun.
I've owned a Marlin 336, a Rem. 788, and a old, rather odd looking Mossberg lever action (external safety and trigger stayed with the lever when cycled) all chambered in 30/30.

If I were to get another 30/30 I'd probably go with the fairly easy to find and relatively inexpensive Marlin myself.

Besides their great lever action, Savage also had the 170 pump and 340 bolt action chambered in 30/30.

Remington's 788 bolt action and Model 14 pump could be had chambered in 30/30, as well.

Originally Posted by noKnees
Win 94 with a peep. Ct made marlin if scoped.

This.
The Winchester feels better in my hands but I have and use both.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
I'd look for one with a bolt handle on the side and chambered in something different.

Travis

smile
Not as easy to find as a Marlin or as common as Winchester but a Savage 99 in .30-30 is rarely a wrong choice.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by joken2
I've owned a Marlin 336, a Rem. 788, and a old, rather odd looking Mossberg lever action (external safety and trigger stayed with the lever when cycled) all chambered in 30/30.

If I were to get another 30/30 I'd probably go with the fairly easy to find and relatively inexpensive Marlin myself.

Besides their great lever action, Savage also had the 170 pump and 340 bolt action chambered in 30/30.

Remington's 788 bolt action and Model 14 pump could be had chambered in 30/30, as well.

pretty good advice. and the atvantage of the non levers is the pointed bullets. I have had a winchester 94 since i was ten. I think personally the marlin is the better engineered gun. I would say stay to the older winchesters. Few years ago i bought a post 64 winchester, new in the box, that had sat unused in a swamp cooled, high humidity house. It was a pile of rust on the outside, and became a project. Looks like a new one now. Had to cerrakote the reciever as the allow material would not hold bluing. It's kind of a two tone now. As time went along winchester cheapened them in the wood, and other areas to maintain a price point. Older ones are definitely much better.
Originally Posted by RWE
get an old model 336.

this
Except when the OP wants/needs to mount a scope. Unless he finds one that someone has already drilled
Stith?

Yeah, I know. A whole 336 can almost be bought for what a Stith goes for these days.
Long way round the barn. I've bought 336's for less than the price of a Stith.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Except when the OP wants/needs to mount a scope. Unless he finds one that someone has already drilled

The one I just bought was drilled and tapped long ago. Bad for a collector since it's been altered.

Good for me since it kept the price down and my blind azz needs a scope anyway. frown
All the assorted older lever guns - the pre-safety Marlins, pre-64 Wins, and Savage 99's are fine tools, each with their pros & cons.

Contenders make a pretty good .30-30. Very light & compact yet still has a 23" barrel, and can take any bullet you want.

[Linked Image]

Ruger also made a small run of the #1A in .30-30. That would be the rifle, if one wanted to load up the round to higher pressures.

But one of these days I'd like to get one of the modern Low Walls, either custom built or rebored, in .30-30. I think a good Low Wall would be the optimum choice for strength & handling.
Hmmm...

Stuck between a Marlin 336 with a scope or a 99 - I need to get info on putting a scope on a 99 though. Always wanted to try a 99, that would be killing two birds with one stone
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
easy answer is that there are only two to buy. Winchester or Marlin. With both, eschew the new models, and buy an older rifle.
Then you can't go wrong.
Something like this Marlin 336 would do nicely
[Linked Image]
Ummm...you're forgetting the best one out there Mannlicher-the unbeatable Savage 99. All others just fight for second best.
A .303 Savage in a 99 would be cool. I know where there is one, but it will never be for sale. It belonged to a friend of mine who died of early onset Alzheimers. His sons will never part with it.
lets see, a savage 99 in 30.30 costs how much?
a marlin 336 costs how much?
ouch.
I went through this about 4 years ago. I started by hitting the pawn shops and bought a few Marlins

'70's 336A..24" Barrel 2/3 magazine pistol grip
30A.. Custom wood $500.00 checkering job 20" barrel 2/3 magazine 20" barrel.
336TS.. 18.5" Barrel straight stock
336 LTR..16 3/4" barrel straight stock

Photobucket isn't working or I'd post pictures, After playing around with all 4 I hunted with the TS & factory sites. Killed a pig but no deer. If you hunt out of a tree stand, I'd use a later model with the safety because they are much safer getting out of the stand with a chambered round.
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

.....I'd use a later model with the safety because they are much safer getting out of the stand with a chambered round.

Uh oh.
I don't see the point of a 30-30 if you are going to scope it. If I want to shoot something with a scope, I'll choose a different caliber and platform.

So, with that said, go with a Winchester. The great thing about a Winchester is that they fill almost any price range. The post 64s are ugly and all of them have spotted receivers where the bluing went away, but they work, stamped lifters and all. You can get one for 250$ and throw it under the seat of your truck forever and not feel bad. Or you can buy a pre 64 for more and have a nice rifle.

If you really have to scope one, you can find lots of angle ejects for 300$ to 400$ in pawn shops.
The Marlin 336 can be very accurate as long as the magazine tube is not tied to the barrel too tightly. It's not hard at all to get one to print 5 shots in 1 1/2" or sometimes under. The best ones I've owned would put 10 shots in that group, and produce some three or four shot groups that would embarrass a lot of bolt actions. The most accurate 336's are the models without the forward barrel band, those with just a forend cap. But even barrel band models can be fixed, it just takes a little sandpaper.

Savage 99's are nice rifles. I've only owned a couple but they look a bit odd with a scope - it sticks out way high over the buttstock. That's just my opinion, someone else might not care.

As much as I prefer the 336 over a 94, nothing handles as well as an original configuration Model 94. They can be easily "accurized" the same way as a Marlin and will shoot surprisingly well.

But either way, IMHO a .30-30 just screams lever action. In one of the reloading manual's intros to the .30-30 it said that the cartridge has survived not so much for its ballistics but for the plethora of lightweight, fast handling lever action carbines it comes in. I'd agree with that sentiment.
Skip the scope or shoot something else.

Marlin 1893-

[Linked Image]

Staggs Bilt lever action over under 30-30-20 "single shot"-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Button mag 16" Winchester 94-

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
A .303 Savage in a 99 would be cool. I know where there is one, but it will never be for sale. It belonged to a friend of mine who died of early onset Alzheimers. His sons will never part with it.

You just hadda' bring up the .303 didn't ya? cry I've got dies and a stockpile of .303 brass just waiting for the day when I stumble across a good hunter grade .303 Savage.

For some reason that caliber has always grabbed my attention but I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas since I've already bought 2 model 99's this month.
Hmmm...

Stuck between a Marlin 336 with a scope or a 99 - I need to get info on putting a scope on a 99 though. Always wanted to try a 99, that would be killing two birds with one stone

With a low mounted scope on exposed hammer Marlin and Winchester lever actions you'll likely be needing a hammer extension (if it doesn't already have one).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mike-s-hammer-extensions-for-a-better-grip.html
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

.....I'd use a later model with the safety because they are much safer getting out of the stand with a chambered round.

Uh oh.

Yep, its been a while.

I'll get the beer.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don't see the point of a 30-30 if you are going to scope it. If I want to shoot something with a scope, I'll choose a different caliber and platform.

So, with that said, go with a Winchester. The great thing about a Winchester is that they fill almost any price range. The post 64s are ugly and all of them have spotted receivers where the bluing went away, but they work, stamped lifters and all. You can get one for 250$ and throw it under the seat of your truck forever and not feel bad. Or you can buy a pre 64 for more and have a nice rifle.

If you really have to scope one, you can find lots of angle ejects for 300$ to 400$ in pawn shops.

I used to say that too when I was young and my eyes worked fine as issued. frown
[quote=Fireball2]Skip the scope or shoot something else.

I don't want to shoot something else.

I used to say that too when I was young and my eyes worked fine as issued. frown

I would just about 100 percent guarantee that your eyes are not worse than mine. But with glasses or contacts I can shoot a peep fine. I even have an astigmatism.
for the love of all things Holy, shoot what you want.

This shouldn't even be an issue.

can't you see that we had a near collision with hot chamber versus cold chamber?
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2

Then go small, like this Leupold 2.5X-

[Linked Image]

I would just about 100 percent guarantee that your eyes are not worse than mine. But with glasses or contacts I can shoot a peep fine. I even have an astigmatism.

Have glasses and a peep on a .250-3000. I can use it when the light is good.

That would be fine if 99% of the deer I've killed hadn't shown up at first light or very late in the evening.

If a peep works for you in low light that's great but they don't work for me anymore.
I think the Win 94,AE is nicer handling gun if you need to put a scope on it ,which I certainly understand with my old eyes.

Most of these young guys I on here don't understand that. Peeps work for awhile,but then you will have problems in low light as your eyes get older. BTDT ( Remember the miss I had with the Peeps on my ML out at Bonnie?)

I never warmed up to the 336, but the older Marlin 94's are about identical to the Win 94's except for the side ejection.
Of course it would be almost sacrilegious to D&T an old Marlin or Win. for a scope, so stick to the newer ones. I also never liked the fat forearms on the newer Marlins.

Be aware that you will need to put a shorter scope on those small levers as the scope base holes are pretty close together and I had a hard time stabilizing a full size scope on them. Lot of compacts on the market though
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Then go small, like this Leupold 2.5X-

[Linked Image]

I hear ya. My levers have compact scopes in 1-4X or 2-7X except for the .218 Bee and one .300 that have 3-9X.

2-5X sounds perfect.

Have glasses and a peep on a .250-300. I can use it when the light is good.

That would be fine if 99% of the deer I've killed hadn't shown up at first light or very late in the evening.

If a peep works for you in low light that's great but they don't work for me anymore.

Of course it doesn't work as well in low light as a scope. Who said it did? A scope is a superior sighting system in all ways as a 30-06 is superior to a 30-30 in all ways.

Anyone using a 30-30 is already compromising to a degree. If a deer shows up before daylight or after sundown, you will have trouble with peeps unless he is close. But, hey, if one shows himself at 35 yards when I'm shooting my longbow, he is going to get to walk as well.

If simply killing deer is the point, I would never compromise with anything less than my Forbes in 7mm-08. It is lighter than the 30-30 and almost as handy, shoots a better round, and is well scoped.
I would never compromise with anything less than my Forbes in 7mm-08. It is lighter than the 30-30 and almost as handy, shoots a better round, and is well scoped.

Finally, a sensible post! grin grin
And sometimes you are just willing to compromise. If they win, they win.

This was 15 minutes before sunrise, though I didn't use the aperture. I just put it on the rifle to see if the screws would fit. Used the open sights it came with. Rifle is a 30/30.

[Linked Image]
Don't forget the lowly Savage 340....

Like the 99, you can use pointy bullets an it will probably be cheaper if you can find one...

[Linked Image]

Spotshooter,

Peep sights work good for older eyes, especially with a fiber optic front sight. (HINT!) And they don't wreck the looks and handling of a classic lever rifle.

If you have to have a scope, the Marlin is the way too go, otherwise a pre-64 Winchester is IT. (in my opinion)

Virgil B.
[Linked Image]

I have a soft spot for the lever guns and understand their limits and their usefulness. I happen to like the M94s. I don't have any of the better ones but not all post-64s are junk either. (It's pretty easy to see if the internals are stamped or cast; the stamped stuff is pretty cheap). There were some good years between the stamped-internals models and the AE models which is what I like. If you share vision challenges like many of us have as we age, you can always use larger peep apertures and fiber-optic type front posts. A svelte, nimble lever gun is fun and can be handy in it's naked form. If you insist on glass, then a 336 is the way to go IMO.

[Linked Image]
Not a 30-30, but how does the Sako Finwolf stalk up against the levers mentioned here?
Man's got to have a lever action 30-30. Get an old model Marlin 336
Originally Posted by Pete E
Not a 30-30, but how does the Sako Finwolf stalk up against the levers mentioned here?

2 Different critters. The Finnwolf is more like a Win M88. And both are way cool IMO. IMO, both are more inherently accurate rifle designs than the 336 or 94......
I have 2 Win 94s, a Win 55, Win 64, in 30-30. I have a couple of Marlins, but sold my 30-30 and 35 Rem in favor of a 356 and a 444.

The Marlins are scoped, the Winnys are not.I think the Marlins do better with the larger cartridges/bores.

As others have said, if scoped go Marlin. If Winny use a nice peep set up.....
If a scope seems too much and a peep sight doesn't suit one's eyes then one of the reflex sights might be a good solution.

I've used the Burris FastFire II and it works well for those of us with presbyopia (old eyes wink ). It's not the greatest for group shooting but it's light and mounts down low on the receiver. You don't need to focus on anything close, you just look through it out to your target and put the dot where you want to hit.

These pics are my old Model 1894 - the base that Burris makes hangs over the back of an 1894 so it's mounted forward but on a 336 it will be flush with the back of the receiver. That's important since it doesn't get in the way of wrapping your hand all the way around the receiver at the balance point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found this pic from Vic in Va showing the mounting position on a 336.

[Linked Image]
I like that a lot.
Find a good used presafety Marlin 336, mount a Leupold 1-4x20mm scope nice and low and be done with it.
[Linked Image]

This is my Granddad's pre '64 Winchester with a Marble Peep Sight. It's a special order rifle from Winchester back around 1907.

Any pre '64 Winchester or older Marlin 336 would be a good choice. I've owned a Marlin 336 chambered in 35 Remington, it was a good gun so I would not be afraid of one in 30/30. Although if I was going to scope the rifle I would lean toward the Marlin as it ejects the fired brass to the side not the top like the Winchester which ejects the fired brass out the top.

Travis

smile

I'll throw out one contrary point. In places where folks stand hunt at short ranges, and have multiple tags, it may not be a bad deal to lighten up on calibers. I've been in stands where you touch off a short barrel .270, and deer disappeared for three days. Then a couple days alter shot a deer in the same stand with a .300 Savage, and there's deer around the next morning.

I'm using Dad's old .25-06 this year, but one or two deer is plenty for me. Were I out to fill all 5 tags, I'd seriously consider a smaller less blasty round. And the ammo is cheaper, and you need less powder. YMMV smirk
Often over looked is the Henry. A little pricier, better quality than the Winchester or Marlin and made in the U.S. Heck of a lot better gun

Comes with Ghost Ring sight and D&T for scope is desired

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-henry-3030/
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Often over looked is the Henry. A little pricier, better quality than the Winchester or Marlin and made in the U.S. Heck of a lot better gun

A 30-30 lever that weighs more than 9 pounds is made by a company that just doesn't get the point of a 30-30 lever.

The Henry I had had plastic parts and didn't work. Sorry but no thanks. I'd rather have a Western Field or Ted Williams.
Does Henry know that guns are commonly made from steel? laugh (My sample of one has plenty of zinc and plastic in it��and some people wonder why Japan and even China make so many the things we want?)
I'll need to use a scope
I felt the same way but got macular degeneration and tried a peep sight with a ghost ring. Prefer it over a scope up to 100-150 yards.

You just hadda' bring up the .303 didn't ya? cry I've got dies and a stockpile of .303 brass just waiting for the day when I stumble across a good hunter grade .303 Savage.

For some reason that caliber has always grabbed my attention but I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas since I've already bought 2 model 99's this month.

there is a beauty on the rack at Jerry's Pawn and Gun in Ocala FL. I wiped off the drool, when I handed it back to the clerk.
http://www.jerrysonline.com/
can't beat an ole savage 99 with a k4 scope
I like 'em all, but the old waffle tops are extra nice.

[Linked Image]
Why do people dislike older Marlins with the crossbolt safety?
Have Win. and Marlins.. My favorite is the old Marlin with the 24 " barrel and half magazine.. with or without scope it is a winner
Originally Posted by night_owl
Probably because they've made a change in the design. Some people don't want an item until they stop making it and then everybody has to have one....like Remington 788's for example.
Yeah, but those 788's don't shoot. Heck, ya gotta ship 'me off ta Alabama to get 'em to work right. wink

FC

A 30-30 lever that weighs more than 9 pounds is made by a company that just doesn't get the point of a 30-30 lever.

You must be reading a different spec as I see 7 lbs for steel and 8.3 for brass.. DUH!!!!!!!!.

Also, the ones I see out the Cowboy SASS matches, although not 30-30,are not plastic and zinc.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Yeah, but those 788's don't shoot. Heck, ya gotta ship 'me off ta Alabama to get 'em to work right. wink

FC

Back when I set up at gun shows I had a 788 on the table and some guy asked me if I knew why Remington stopped making them. I told him it was because of sales and he said, "No. They stopped making the 788 because it shot so much better than the 700's that they were embarrassed by them."

If a person could sit behind a table for a few gun shows it would help them understand the attitude of some of the dealers. I had some new Douglas premium stainless barrels on the table once. If I remember correctly, it was at the Jackson, MS gun show. Some big fat guy asked me about the price and I quoted him dealer price. He said that he contoured his own barrels and he bought his from Douglas, not contoured at all, for $84 each. I just looked at him and wondered if he really expected me to believe that. If you really want an education in barrel making try contouring an unturned blank in a lathe.

I had a 788 in 30-30 and had two in .44 magnum. Like an idiot I sold them.

I can barely walk through a gun show without losing all hope in humanity.

I don't know how you guys sit behind those tables.

Travis

You must be reading a different spec as I see 7 lbs for steel and 8.3 for brass.. DUH!!!!!!!!.

Also, the ones I see out the Cowboy SASS matches, although not 30-30,are not plastic and zinc.

They changed the specs because a few years ago, they showed them over nine pounds. And having handled a few of them, there is absolutely no way they are a mere seven pounds. Heck, I'll bet nine pounds is light. Duh!!!
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
lets see, a savage 99 in 30.30 costs how much?
a marlin 336 costs how much?
ouch.
Yeah, but it's a Savage.....
Well I for one think a .30-30 ought to be used with open sights, so that means pre-64 Winchester 94 to me, but since there any men left in the world who know how to hit anything with open sights, that's why they make Marlins and Angle Eject Winchester 94's.

Here's my piece on the Winchester 94: http://shootersjournal.net/winchester-model-94/
My choice would be a Savage Model 1899 if I could find another one�..my son has the one I grew up with. My Grandfather killed around 10 deer with it�.(not sure how many were killed by my uncles), my Dad over 30 deer and I killed my first ten with the gun. Hopefully my grandson will kill his first buck with the gun. I have only seen a couple of others at gun shows. The gun was very accurate and extremely reliable. I�ll pick one up if I ever find another one in decent condition.
Of course you could go another way and get a Savage 170 or Remington 7600 pump!
Originally Posted by carbon12
Not as easy to find as a Marlin or as common as Winchester but a Savage 99 in .30-30 is rarely a wrong choice.

[Linked Image]

carbon12 - In November, it's hard not to love that picture of a Mod 99 and a wood pile.
Savage made the Model 99-G, the 99-T, the 99-H saddle rifle, and the very fancy 99-K in 30/30.
All great rifles and also high dollar.
Originally Posted by Gremlin1104
Of course you could go another way and get a Savage 170 or Remington 7600 pump!

I guess they could have but I never heard of Remington ever offering a regular production 7600 chambered in 30/30.
There were also Model 54 Winchester bolt actions in .30-30, but they are fairly rare beasts.
The allure of the 30-30 is contained in the Model 94 and the Marlin, not the cartridge itself. If you get away from those two rifles, there is little to nothing to recommend the 30-30 over any other cartridge.

Travis

I don't anymore. Got tired of looking at all the "SWAT" guys with no hair and no necks and no money walk around. Most of them were probably donut bakery employees.
The allure of the 30-30 is contained in the Model 94 and the Marlin, not the cartridge itself. If you get away from those two rifles, there is little to nothing to recommend the 30-30 over any other cartridge.

Paco Kelly disagrees.

Interesting read:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030again.htm

Many years ago I looked down my nose at the 30-30. In fact, I considered the maximum load in the manual as a good starting point. Now, I've come full circle and embrace the old cartridges with cast bullets. I am convinced that you can take a .358 Winchester with cast bullets and take any animal on the continent. I will admit, however, if I were in big bear country I'd want a .45-70 with cast bullets.
Originally Posted by MColeman

Many years ago I looked down my nose at the 30-30. In fact, I considered the maximum load in the manual as a good starting point. Now, I've come full circle and embrace the old cartridges with cast bullets. I am convinced that you can take a .358 Winchester with cast bullets and take any animal on the continent. I will admit, however, if I were in big bear country I'd want a .45-70 with cast bullets.

Yeah, but what does it do that something else won't do as well or maybe better? Nothing except that it is chambered in two of the handiest rifles ever to grace the earth. Put the 30-30 in a Remington 700 and while adequate for most anything, it is decidedly inferior in most ways to most other chamberings. But put it in a Winchester 94? Why then you have 75% of the power of a 30-06 in a package scarcely bigger than the Model 92 chambered in pistol cartridges.
Spot, handle a 94 and then the others. You choice will be made for you.
get a nice old 50's marlin 336 SC. get one in 35 and 32 while you're at it.
Originally Posted by rem141r

I would tend to support that idea. wink

1955 336 SC .30-30. Some of the nicer wood I've seen on a factory stock, much less a Marlin lever action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoots pretty good for an old lever gun, too. wink

[Linked Image]
vurrry nice. vurrry nice indeed.
I'll also say that every 94 or 336 I ever shot was a really good shooter. I've got a post 64 Ted Williams that is the ugliest gun ever made and has all the stamped lifters and roll pins that the purists hate. But that ugly thing will shoot 2 inches all day everyday with a Williams receiver sight.
This old post-64 has been absolutely problem free, and is reasonably accurate. I don't know how many deer have died because of this thing, but they continue to do so.

[Linked Image]
vurrry nice. vurrry nice indeed.

I agree- hard to find them like that.
I had posted earlier about accurizing lever guns but all they need is to have the magazine tube "untied" from the barrel. As the barrel heats up it wants to expand and if it's joined tightly to the mag tube that adversely affects accuracy.

That Marlin I posted above would string shots 4" high when I first got it. The mag tube was wedged solid on the barrel stud supporting it. All I did was enlarge the hole just ever so slightly so it was a slip fit, then made sure the two screws on either side of the forend cap had light and equal pressure and it started grouping as shown.

Same with Model 94's or barrel band .336's. Make sure the front barrel band isn't constricting the barrel and give a little room under the rear band and most all 94's and 336's can put several shots into 2" or less, sometimes much less.

There was an article in an old Gun Digest, I want to say the 25th Anniversary edition, where they tried different things to see what would make lever actions shoot. They even put a match grade heavy barrel on one and it shot almost as well as bench guns of that era. The main thing, though, is to give the barrel some clearance to move where it wants to.

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot
Winchester model 94
"Sears"chester

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
This old post-64 has been absolutely problem free, and is reasonably accurate. I don't know how many deer have died because of this thing, but they continue to do so.

[Linked Image]

Now that is nice. Perfect balance and you can wrap your hand around the action about as well as a man can with with something he grabs every day. You can jack 7 loads out in two blinks of an eye. It's a joy to hold in your hand and whip it around. smile
Have had a Marlin 336 for over 30 years I, and my 3 sons have all used it from time to time. Has accounted for many deer including a 140 B&C blacktail. Brought it out this year to celebrate my 50th year blacktail hunting. Still does the job.
Originally Posted by treejack
Have had a Marlin 336 for over 30 years I, and my 3 sons have all used it from time to time. Has accounted for many deer including a 140 B&C blacktail. Brought it out this year to celebrate my 50th year blacktail hunting. Still does the job.

Can't beat that track record. And welcome to the 'fire treejack!
I've had several Model 94 Winchesters and Model 336 Marlins. I prefer the Marlin.

The one I now have I bought from a fellow 'fire member and it is scoped and shoots both Winchester 170-grain Power Point factory loads and my handholds with 170-grain Core-Lokts into close to an inch.

The one I should have kept, but sold it like an idiot, was a Savage 24 with a .30-30 over a 12-gauge. And of course, they quit making them.
I've got a post '64 Winchester model 94 and a Winchester model 64-A, (the second version of the model 64) the pistol grip version with a 24" barrel. Both shoot as well as I can hold but the 64-A has a VERY nice trigger.

Years ago I put Lyman 66 (?) peeps on both (no drilling or tapping required) to help with the "older eyes" syndrome and that made a big difference for me.

Travis

I don't anymore. Got tired of looking at all the "SWAT" guys with no hair and no necks and no money walk around. Most of them were probably donut bakery employees.

Mickey, would you mind if I borrowed that ABSOLUTELY SUPERB LINE ?
I love the looks of the 30-30, I'll own one some day.
Greg, Be my guest, my friend. smile

obviously, my eyes are worse then. open sights are pretty much useless to me.
Carried serial numbers in my wallet a few years until I found a nice Winchester 94 30WCF made the year I was born, and that is what I choose for a 30-30.
If wanting to scope one, it would be the Marlin

I agree. Nostalgia maybe, but that's about it. The 30-30 and Win 94, 64, 55 are synonymous. When one says 30-30 you think Win 94.

As for the Marlin, mine are in 35 Rem, 356, and 444. And I prefer all to the 30-30 Win.....
Originally Posted by Hotload
Man's got to have a lever action 30-30. Get an old model Marlin 336

Clear, simple, easy to understand. Go with this!!!
I've got a pre-64 model 94 with open sights and a 1957 Marlin 336 with a vintage 4X scope. I find myself grabbing the Marlin more often than the 94. I love the classic look of the 94 but the 336 is simply an easy and accurate shooting lever.
I've threatened to buy one of these in the past...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453509646

Sounds like me, I am using a 1961 model 336 now in .32 WS....
I worked for an Indian Reservation for about 10 years. Some of those guys, one in particular with a reputation as one of their best hunters, shot the heck out of all kinds of game with the old 30/30, including plenty of moose and certainly whitetail deer, along with the occasional black bear.

I started deer hunting up there in 1989, having hunted bow and shotgun zones previously, and borrowed one of the venerated 336s from one of the indians. I shot a deer with it opening morning and liked it so much I bought one for myself and killed half a dozen deer with it, including some dandy bucks, before perceiving my reduced accuracy with open sights out past 100 yards, which doesn't come up too often in the woods, but missing a nice buck out in a clear cut from the other side of beaver pond got me into my current deer hunting weapon.

This past year after shooting my buck with the 06 out of a stand, I carried the 336 for my scouting and still hunting in off and on snow showers. I still really like for that type of thing.
Every time I think I've got a good bead on things you guys give me something new to think about - thanks!

I need to reread the thread and do more think, then get a few of these in my hands and see which way I want to go.

Lots of valuable experience out there.

I have one, a takedown, also have the .410 barrel for it. I've killed deer, caribou and spruce grouse with it. It'll never be for sale either.
Originally Posted by cra1948

I have one, a takedown, also have the .410 barrel for it. I've killed deer, caribou and spruce grouse with it. It'll never be for sale either.

ya I,ve only got bout 1030-0s and 14-15 303 Savages not enough yet grin

norm
I'll also say that every 94 or 336 I ever shot was a really good shooter. I've got a post 64 Ted Williams that is the ugliest gun ever made and has all the stamped lifters and roll pins that the purists hate. But that ugly thing will shoot 2 inches all day everyday with a Williams receiver sight.
The post-64's were good rifles, just ugly. The stamped shell riser was actually an improvement to the design, but people hated it because it looked cheap (and it did). But shell risers often break on Winchester 94's, I've replaced more than a couple. But I've never replaced a broken stamped shell riser because the stamped design was lighter and stronger...but it did look cheap.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The post-64's were good rifles, just ugly. The stamped shell riser was actually an improvement to the design, but people hated it because it looked cheap (and it did). But shell risers often break on Winchester 94's, I've replaced more than a couple. But I've never replaced a broken stamped shell riser because the stamped design was lighter and stronger...but it did look cheap.

I put a Butler Creek synthetic stock set on that rifle, and I would be surprised if it weighs much more than five pounds. I spray painted it black and it is pure ugly. But it carries like you don't even know it is there and out to 150 yards, it is money.

Once off of prone rest, I shot a group at 300 yards that I'm not even going to bother telling anyone about because they wouldn't believe me. But, with a rest and time to line them up finely and correctly, most people would be amazed and what can be done with open sights.
Older Model Winchester 94

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot

I don't think I've ever met a gun owner that hasn't shot a 30/30...growing up I knew a lot of people who only had one gun and a shot gun....

The gun was usually a 30/30 and bought at either Western Auto or Sears...

Micky funny you should mention the 45-70. Years ago I was Elk hunting out near Forks, WA. I met an old boy hunting Elk with an old '94 Winchester chambered in 45-70. He said it was the perfect Elk gun. He could shoot an Elk with it in either season or out of season and the game warden wouldn't even come out and check him as he would think it was some logger out there blowing stumps.
I put a Butler Creek synthetic stock set on that rifle, and I would be surprised if it weighs much more than five pounds. I spray painted it black and it is pure ugly. But it carries like you don't even know it is there and out to 150 yards, it is money.

Once off of prone rest, I shot a group at 300 yards that I'm not even going to bother telling anyone about because they wouldn't believe me. But, with a rest and time to line them up finely and correctly, most people would be amazed and what can be done with open sights.

I sold my �ugly gun� which was a 1971 Winchester 94 with a Williams FP rear sight and a brass bead front sight. The gun was nothing to look at, but like you said, anything inside 150 yards was dead meat. With my �nice� �94 I turned in a 3 shot group at 225 yards shooting with the factory iron sights from a prone position, group measured .90 inch�I just couldn�t believe it. So I shot it again, 1.25 inch; hell, maybe it wasn�t a fluke�for the rifle that is, I don�t know that my eyes are still that good (that was 10 years ago). But I don�t doubt the accuracy of a Winchester 94. They�re very accurate for 3-5 rounds, and then things start to open up and string, but high volume isn�t what it was intended for.

Nothing carries like a 94, and it�s my favorite rifle to hunt with just because they carry so well, shoulder so naturally, and shoot so well.
I had one that would do stuff like that too, but it was post 64 with the rattling trigger and a 4x scope. A Dimocrap lifted it from my truck in my drive one Sat night.

Now I have a proper pre-64.

If I need a heavier, more accurate, longer range gun I have them. I use them more than the 94, living in west Texas, but nothing can beat it for easing through East Texas river bottoms full of palmetto and oin oaks or the surrounding pine, white oak, red oak ridges.

It's easy to hold in one hand down by my right thigh and parallel to the ground with the muzzle forward for long periods of time. Easing along and not having to move the gun a lot going through undergrowth and held low reduces movement that alert deer.

I guess I have to buy a damn lever gun now.....

So - 30-30, 35 Rem, or a 99 or BLR in 308 or 7-08 (BLR only)????
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I guess I have to buy a damn lever gun now.....

So - 30-30, 35 Rem, or a 99 or BLR in 308 or 7-08 (BLR only)????

I have a 99 and I've had a BLR. They are fine rifles, but to me they are just that, rifles. When I want a lever gun, it is a Winchester 94 or a Marlin with a heavy preference for the Winchester.
Why a lever? My Savage .30-30 over 12 gauge puts a 125 grain Nosler BT and a Brenneke rifled slug within 2 inches of one another at 75 yards. The 125 gr Nosler BT is a wonderful deer bullet if you can shoot. I also use a 165 gr Sierra BTHP on occasion - both take down deer as quickly as my .308 or .30-06 at similar ranges. Of course the Savage is a single shot rifle - that - so far - has not been a problem!

Terry
I would choose, in the following order

1) savage 99
2) marlin 36 or early 336

3) Winchester 94 ( distant third )

I had a Winchester 94 "XTR" in 30-30 years ago a friend traded me a Lew Chidre graphite fishing rod for the gun...I kid you not. The rifle would shoots the lights light with Winchester 748 powder and a 150 gr bullet. I felt the rifle wasn't classy enough and traded it off for God knows what.

Fast forward and got bit by the Marlin Bug and have 5 now. Being a lefty the Marlins just works....loading gate is in the right place.

A 30-30 should be in every one's "Bug out" kit....plenty of ammo supply every where and will handle anything the 30-30 has been used for since 1894.

Doc
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
I had a Winchester 94 "XTR" in 30-30 years ago a friend traded me a Lew Chidre graphite fishing rod for the gun...I kid you not. The rifle would shoots the lights light with Winchester
748 powder and a 1550 gr bullet. I felt the rifle wasn't classy enough and traded it off for God knows what.

Fast forward and got bit by the Marlin Bug and have 5 now. Being a lefty the Marlins just works....loading gate is in the right place.

A 30-30 should be in every one's "Bug out" kit....plenty of ammo supply every where and will handle anything the 30-30 has been used for since 1894.

Doc
If the S ever really hits the F you'll be surprised how fast the thutty thutty ammo dries up.
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
I would choose, in the following order

1) savage 99
2) marlin 36 or early 336

3) Winchester 94 ( distant third )

I would choose in the following order.

1) Savage 99.

The end.
If you can find it and like peep sights, this is the one to look for in my opinion. [Linked Image]

If you want a scope, then find a good, clean, pre safety Marlin 336 that is already set up for a scope in what ever version suits your fancy. Don't drill and tap an old Savage 99 or Marlin.
Savage made a bolt gun....model 340. They were crudely finished but good quality and if you can find a scope mount they do shoot really well.
Rem did the 788 in 30/30. With good hand loads the 788 will hold its own with just about anything...they bring pretty good money tho...
The Savage 99 is a magnificent but when chambered in .30-30, it's vastly inferior for the job than the Winchester 94.

The 99 is for higher power, longer range cartridges. But it's much fatter, a bit heavier and doesn't carry nearly as well as the 94.

For 30-30 jobs, give me the 94. If my deer hunting is in more open fields, give me the 99 in .250 or .300 Savage.
Winchester 64 Deluxe with a Redfield peep.

A dream to carry and still hunt with.
You want a pre '64 Winchester. I have four Marlins in other camberings that the model 94 never had, but none in .30-30. While the Marlins have good points, I started with a Winchester, and Marlins never feel right.

A 24" barrel/short magazine model like the model 64 feels better to me than the 20" barrel models, but this is a minor point.

It is too easy to bump the safety on while hunting. My Marlin 444 has one, and it is an actual problem.
There is a very easy fix for that.

Remove the buttstock, find the little screw that adjusts the detent spring.

Move safety to "off" position.

Tighten the hell out of the detent spring, so the safety won't move. It takes a very small allen wrench. Loctite if you feel the need.

Reinstall buttstock, use halfcock safety, and never worry about that little button mofo again.

Reverse procedure if you want to sell rifle and buyer would like that bothersome damn feature.

Originally Posted by Youper

It is too easy to bump the safety on while hunting. My Marlin 444 has one, and it is an actual problem.
The Marlin safety is very easy to disable if you want to eliminate your problem.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Funny, I never had to replace a broken machined lifter but did have to adjust/straighten a couple of the bent stamped sheet steel lifters.The 64-68 Winchesters were junk. Black chrome plated cast iron receivers that looked like hell and got worse when they started to flake, stamped lifters and those lovely, stained, stud grade birch stocks. No thanks. In 69 Winchester started correcting it's offenses to the 94. By the mid 70's they were back to where they really weren't too bad but they were never to be nearly as well made as the pre 64's again.
Hard to imagine the need to replace high -grade machined steel. Sadly, the stamped steel guts gave the post-64 M94s a bad name when there were actually several years of post-64, pre-AE guns which are very good guns (having either forged or cast steel parts inside - probably the latter.) I have shot and abused the heck out of a pair of 80's vintage M94s and they have been utterly reliable with nothing more than rather paltry care.
Agreed on all counts.
Retrotastic, but 3 shots and my cheek feels like I went a round with Mike Tyson.

[Linked Image]
A 94 was my first centerfire rifle. Still have it. Should carry it more. As already said, a pure joy to carry and shoot.

I love the 99's.

Marlins are fuggin' uglier than sin, but they're the obvious choice if ya have to mount a scope.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I've threatened to buy one of these in the past...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453509646

I have a Legacy Model 94, before they jacked the prices up on them dramatically... bought it for less than $400, new in the box...has a 26 inch barrel, and the magazine goes out to the end of the barrel, so it holds more than the shorter 20 inch barrel..

I can't remember if I have even shot it...

also have a Stainless Marlin in 30/30, that was a limited run when they were testing the waters.. got that one on a close out down at BiMart for like $250.00

Then my 3rd 30/30 is a Model 94, my dad bought new in June 1966 in England at the base Rod and Gun Club before coming back stateside...think it was $50 new in those days...never was a tack driver.. but it seems to love SR 4759 loads giving an MV in the 1850 fps range...and then it loves the handload I experimented with, a 220 grain round nose ( deep seated in the case) fueled by W 748...

The Marlin and the Legacy have scopes ( 1.5 x 4 Bushnell 3200s) and the 1966 Model 94 is open sights...

On my short list of desired rifles is a Model 54 Winchester in 30/30....in pristine shape of course..
One that you don't see every day, but a great shooting .30-30. Savage 170 pump gun.
[Linked Image]
cool Sam....

I know I'll piss off the purists, but as I have aged, I have come to the conclusion, that for most real world deer hunting, the old 30/30 cartridge is all ya really need.. regardless of what you are shooting it out of...
the little Savage shucks 'em slicker than eel chit. Accurate as well, grouping two inches at 100 yards. Don't know about other places, but a good .30-30 will keep you in venison and pork here in Florida.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
A 94 was my first centerfire rifle. Still have it. Should carry it more. As already said, a pure joy to carry and shoot.

I love the 99's.

Marlins are fuggin' uglier than sin, but they're the obvious choice if ya have to mount a scope.

This^^^. If I want to carry a longer, heavier gun, there are better choices than the 336.

There are more effective bows than recurves, but none are more of a joy to carry.
[Linked Image]
Got this from another site in reference to the Marlin safety.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

Everyone complains about the safety. However, it does have a couple of good traits. One, it allows you to safely cycle rounds through the action to unload the magazine without the danger of an accidental discharge. Two, you can dry fire occasionally without danger of breaking a firing pin.

Five things can be done to the safety.

1. Leave it alone and use it when desired.

2. Replace it with an after market dummy that fills the hole and appears as a bolt.

3. Remove the stock. Turn in the safety set screw enough to lock the safety in the off position so that it can't be applied accidentally.

4. In a lathe, face off the left end of the safety so that it is flush with the left side of the receiver when in the off position. The safety can be applied by pushing on it with the end of a pencil.

I did this to mine

5. Remove the safety, go to your friendly hardware store and purchase an "O" ring that fits the grove in the safety. After reinstalling the safety, slip the "O" ring over the left end. This will prevent the safety from being applied accidentally.

I have fired several thousand rounds through my Marlins and have never had my safety accidentally placed in the on position

© 24hourcampfire