Home
Virtually every day I'm researching the possibility of moving to one of these states and today I came across this interesting factoid.
Not much supporting the statistics in this article, I was curious to the underlying reasons????

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/alaskas-suicide-rate-no-longer-nations-highest/26893506
Rates are influenced by population.

Factor in the numbers of vets in both states (we lose 1 vet per hour to suicide), as well as those on reservations and I'm not surprised.

People in Wyoming are depressed because they don't live in Montana. People in Montana are depressed because so many people from Wyoming are planning to move here-
4ager got it.

Originally Posted by Royce
People in Wyoming are depressed because they don't live in Montana. People in Montana are depressed because so many people from Wyoming are planning to move here-

Not...I've driven through Montana a couple times. I certainly didn't lose anything there laugh
Problem is the natives are killing themselves. The folks moving in from Kalifornia and Washington and Colorado are too busy being happy and building travel plazas so they cab phouc this place up too....
Montana would be an awesome state if kicked all the neo-liberal fascists out. And the Feds. But I repeat myself.
When they get that close to heaven, a lot want to finish the trip. grin
In Montana, it's mostly caused by elk hunters, driving half way across the state and bringing ammo that doesn't match their rifle..
Alcohol/drug related suicides(and sober suicides) are a problem here.

That and the fact that 40% of native babies are born with meth in their system.

Fuucked up deal all the way around.
I like MT and WY more than a little bit.

This part of the country is not for everybody. That's part of the reason I like it.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Alcohol/drug related suicides(and sober suicides) are a problem here.

That and the fact that 40% of native babies are born with meth in their system.

Fuucked up deal all the way around.

Harsh reality. Very tragic.
It's all those guns in Montana and Wyoming. If they didn't have guns they'd not commit suicide. wink More gun control is in order to save them from themselves! crazy

L.W.
Suicide rate on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming is just pitiful, many teens and even younger, drugs and alcohol, dysfunctional families, poverty, place has it all.
http://www.montanameth.org/

Mike
Originally Posted by jnyork
Suicide rate on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming is just pitiful, many teens and even younger, drugs and alcohol, dysfunctional families, poverty, place has it all.

This......
Spend three days working in the Lander hospital and you will leave saying WTF to yourself.
Sadly, it isn't confined to the Rez. We have more than our share here as well.
Salmonella: Don't let the "ratings" stop you from a better life in Montana (or in Wyoming!).
The quality of life hereabouts is FANTASTIC.
Bring your own mental condition and enjoy - don't let that one detrimental aspect of life in Big Sky Country deter you.
Good luck to you if you can manage the "move".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
watched one of my daughters bury a friend when she was a freshman....wasnt fun, the kids mom blamed the school instead of looking in the mirror
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Salmonella: Don't let the "ratings" stop you from a better life in Montana (or in Wyoming!).
The quality of life hereabouts is FANTASTIC.
Bring your own mental condition and enjoy - don't let that one detrimental aspect of life in Big Sky Country deter you.
Good luck to you if you can manage the "move".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't believe this guy.

Montana's a miserable place to live with miserable neighbors (varmintguy, ingwe and deflave for example).
Harry there is room for you and your family here, but then we are at full capacity...so all you other guys bugger off!
Originally Posted by 4ager

Factor in the numbers of vets in both states (we lose 1 vet per hour to suicide), as well as those on reservations and I'm not surprised.

That's part of it. additional factors: cold. dark. the wind blows like a sumbee. expensive to live (heating a house, fueling a car, shipping). lots of small towns. fair number of dropouts, small number of good jobs. outsiders driving up price of real estate in desirable areas. everyone has cable or dish, so they see what they don't have. they feel bad. they wish they graduated high school.

if you have a little jingle, and your [bleep] together, it is a beautiful place.

If you are a little messed up, or behind the 8-ball somehow, it can be a hard row to hoe.

Drugs and alcohol don't help.

Sycamore

p/s lot of irish and scandinavians in the gene pool. not always the cute ones, either!
They kill themselves out of sexual frustration, especially in the winter....the snow is too dep to rub through and catch the sheep
The effects of meth on all of America is rapidly reaching epidemic proportions and the children born to meth heads will cost billions to support, Obama care is going to force these cost to all of those whom still work in our country.
We are loosing a generation to the wanton waste of drug abuse.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
They kill themselves out of sexual frustration, especially in the winter....the snow is too dep to rub through and catch the sheep

The natives keep their sheep hobbled close to the porch for that very reason, its the newbies that haven't planned that far a head.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Montana's a miserable place to live with miserable neighbors (varmintguy, ingwe and deflave for example).

Fixt it for you.
Two beautiful states with lots of good people and good attitudes abundant. But, as someone said, not for everyone and certainly not for feckless dependent fools. No state is a great place if a person is not self-reliant and possessed of a modicum of self respect.
I didn't care for SW Wyoming, too desert for me!

Would love either State where mtns are close by and grass grows!

Mike
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I didn't care for SW Wyoming, too desert for me!

Would love either State where mtns are close by and grass grows!

Mike

There's all kinds of grass growing in Seattle. Take your pick.
Too drizzly and wrong kind of grass!

I have a friend that lives out there and being from the South where people are friendly and generally talk to each other feels that people in Seattle are kind of rude.

I think it's just "the city" in general.

Mike
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by 4ager

That's part of it. additional factors: cold. dark. the wind blows like a sumbee. expensive to live (heating a house, fueling a car, shipping). lots of small towns. fair number of dropouts, small number of good jobs. outsiders driving up price of real estate in desirable areas. everyone has cable or dish, so they see what they don't have. they feel bad. they wish they graduated high school.

if you have a little jingle, and your [bleep] together, it is a beautiful place.

If you are a little messed up, or behind the 8-ball somehow, it can be a hard row to hoe.

Drugs and alcohol don't help.

Sycamore

p/s lot of irish and scandinavians in the gene pool. not always the cute ones, either!

not that expensive to heat a house....gotta remember our houses are built for it for the most part....thats one thing that floored me about Adelaide, Australia Troy was complaining his house was cold, well no chit it couldnt keep out a popcorn fart, ild go broke trying to heat his house here.....meant to grab some pics of the windows of his house before i left....couldnt believe them....

but its not a chunk of country for everyone....winters are long, even in the spots that dont get as cold as my corner of the state still have to deal with more cold days than warm, our growing season here is bout 90 days, warm part of the state is a maximum of 130 days on a warm year, 100 during a cold....after over 30 winters here im not sure how many more i want to deal with
© 24hourcampfire