Home
Posted By: UtahLefty Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
My wife's mom van (toyota) is now officially a bottomless money pit and needs replacing. We got a good 12 years out of it but not a ton of miles (95K). Worth $2-3K and needs $5k of work.

There's a 2012 lease-return Honda CRV-EX (certified pre-owned) with a moon roof here locally that she really likes. It's only got 4K miles on it and is listed low end of KBB.

We've had a crap ton of accords, a civic, and even a prelude but don't know much about this thing.

skinny?

Posted By: Mossy Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
Basically a Civic with a lift kit. Our 2013 gets 30+ on the highway,low to mid 20s in town. We really like it.
Posted By: RNF Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
My wife like hers. She averages 28 mpg highway and 23 around town. 2011 model that has only had oil changes and one battery for maintenance.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
is it built on the same frame as the civic ?

ie. is it more civic-y in interior room than accord-y ?
Posted By: Montivagant Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
My love's '03 has about 130k on it. Been great since it was new with just regular maintenance, if we don't talk about the time I took it song dog chasing....
Posted By: tommyv Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
We bought my wife a new one in 06. Got 28 mpg 4 adults went to the beach 7 hr Drive and all our stuff. 3 out of four are over 6 ft. They are very comfortable. Only reason for selling was two seats. Had to get a odyssey van.
Posted By: RNF Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
My wife had the Accord before the CRV and my daughter has the Civic. I would say close to the Accord.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by RNF
My wife had the Accord before the CRV and my daughter has the Civic. I would say close to the Accord.

good deal!

the three kids will still be toted along for a bit yet, albeit more often as a foursome than a fivesome with the way our schedules work
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
I was dead set on a CR-V when we decided to trade our 07 accord in 2 yrs ago......then I sat in it and drove it. It had to cheap a feel for us. To much plastic and way to noisy. for a Honda product, I was very disappointed. I have no doubt the reliability was still there but I couldn't drive that thing 600mi and be happy.
Posted By: hunt1415 Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
It depends on which model you get. I have a base model which is less than a civic. Not even in your dreams will it compare to an Accord. This '03 CR-V has 230,000 miles and going strong. I have F150, Accord, and Miata. I drive the CR-V. All of my hunting and shooting gear is in the back---yes, it stays covered. There is room--not comfortable--for two on the second seat. If it gets a scratch, I don't worry about it.

If you get the top end model---which it sounds like you are looking at--you will be happy.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
Recently, I looked hard at the 2014 CRV's, along with the Nissan Rogue and the Toyota Rav4. Both the Nissan and Honda had the CVT transmission. This is basically a gearless transmission, and acts a bit like a turbo charger when you step down on the gas, meaning there's a lag and it takes a while for the thing to get going faster. The Rav4 has a standard 6 speed and acts like a normal tranny when you step on it. This I preferred and just felt safer with, so I bought the Toyota.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/19/14
I spent almost a year looking for a clean lower miles 2002-2006 CRV and finally found one early this year - a clean 2005 EX. I sure like it, its been really pretty darn good in the snow and gets in the high 20's so can't complain. I bought it as a scouting/shed hunting rig when I don't want to drive my 4Runner that sucks gas. Its also a great rig for fishing and running around town so its been exactly what I needed. No not fancy and a little nosier but overall not a bad option.
Posted By: RNF Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Wife's Accord was a EX and the CRV is a EX-L the Accord had more road noise than the CRV one of the reasons we traded. 3 Adults in the rear seat is tight but can be tolerated for short trips.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Get it.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by RickyD
Recently, I looked hard at the 2014 CRV's, along with the Nissan Rogue and the Toyota Rav4. Both the Nissan and Honda had the CVT transmission. This is basically a gearless transmission, and acts a bit like a turbo charger when you step down on the gas, meaning there's a lag and it takes a while for the thing to get going faster. The Rav4 has a standard 6 speed and acts like a normal tranny when you step on it. This I preferred and just felt safer with, so I bought the Toyota.

We went with the Crv partially because it was still offered with a 5 spd auto and it was regular fuel injection. I'm not sold on direct injection yet
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
this one we're looking at seems to have a STD transmission:

Drivetrain
Transmission
Drivetrain Four Wheel Drive
Trans Type 5
Trans Description Cont. Automatic
First Gear Ratio (:1) 2.78
Second Gear Ratio (:1) 1.61
Third Gear Ratio (:1) 1.08
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.77
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.56
Reverse Ratio (:1) 2.00
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1) 4.44
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), High 1.00
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), Low - TBD -
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
You can't beat a CRV. We currently own three (1999, 2001, 2005) and have owned four. The new ones have a CVT tranny and get 34 highway MPG. You can't beat their reliability. The earlier generation were underpowered. Our 2005 (which we just bought) has 165 ponies and is not underpowered. The new ones make 185 ponies.

You can't go wrong with a CRV. Best cars I've ever owned.

Jordan
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
My wife's 08 CR-V EX has a little over 100,000 miles now and is running good. So far it has been very reliable and only required normal maintenance. Can easily get 30 mpg on the highway. Very surprised at how well the 4wd drive system works.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
crv = road NOISE ....rick ...u did good! rav4 best of that lot hands down
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
The CRV was high on my list until I drove one. Small and Noisy.
A lot of the road noise in ours is from the cheap oem Bridgestone tires. When I put our winter Blizzaks on, it's an entirely different beast.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by RNF
Wife's Accord was a EX and the CRV is a EX-L the Accord had more road noise than the CRV one of the reasons we traded. 3 Adults in the rear seat is tight but can be tolerated for short trips.

I had a CR-V and liked it a lot. Good mileage and basically trouble free. It was actually given to us by a neighbor who had crunched the top a bit with a garage door, which is why my wife eventually prevailed about getting rid of it. Oh, the embarrassment with her friends.

Another American expat told me that the CR-V was much more comfortable and with much better leg room (he's rather fat) than an Accord, which is why he got one.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Bought a new 2004 CR-V as a daily commuter/city/country runabout and couldn't be happier with it.

The only complaint I would have is that there is some road noise particularly with the rear seat folded down, even with good replacement tires. On certain surfaces at freeway speeds it's hard to hold a conversation in the car.

But at 10 years old and 90,000 miles it's been trouble free, has consistently gotten around 21 mpg city and 26-28 cruising at 65 or 75 mph (now 80 mph) on the highway. Highway mileage is not as great as some more aerodynamic vehicles but acceptable. I didn't get it to take a lot of long trips in. With the back seat down it has enough room for 95% of the stuff I carry and the other 5% would need a full size pickup anyway. It has enough acceleration to pass on these two lane mountain roads. It has a short turning radius and is easy to get around tight parking spaces or parking lots.

It has decent ground clearance for rutty or washed out forest service roads or driving across open BLM land and it handles very well in snow. I've taken it on a few medium distance trips - drove 1200-1300 miles over three days twice this summer on freeway and mountain roads and it is comfortable to drive for long periods.

I'll keep this one for years, overall it's been a great and very reliable little utility vehicle.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
2015 Honda CR-V performs poorly in Swedish AWD test

Click Here

Wife has had her's for seven years now. Normal maintenance, decent gas mileage, good in snow, and safe. I would buy another.
Originally Posted by walt501
2015 Honda CR-V performs poorly in Swedish AWD test

Click Here

Mine does everything I need it to do in the snow.

I'll be sure to drive around the next set of rollers I see on the highway. smile
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
You've seen the car adv showing a crushed vehicle saying they survived!My friend, wife, and a friend of theirs was hit headon by a large American PU at highway speed. They had to be cut out of the CRV. They all survived with the 2 females having pretty severe injuries. It was amazing that they survived! I do know that they liked it and the gas mileage.
It might or might not be your cup of tea, but a cry is one of the best vehicles made.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Buy 'Merkin.
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Wife has had her's for seven years now. Normal maintenance, decent gas mileage, good in snow, and safe. I would buy another.

This is what my dad has experienced. He bought one in the mid 2000's as his Dodge diesel was getting horrific to maintain. He is 6'2" and says it is plenty roomy, good mileage, dependable, nothing except routine stuff like oil changes.

Can't comment on noise as I have not noticed it. I did test drive a new one for the wife and rather liked it. Perhaps the noise is related to the tires?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
don't own one, but folks I do know own em

seem to be pretty danged happy with them
Posted By: KFWA Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
I have an '03 with a 5 speed manual

Its my wife's commuter car in the winter and our weekend trip car - for us anyways, its a tank in the snow. Gas mileage is about 24 putting around the city.

I have 110K miles on it - and I have replaced the alternator, sway bar links and an oxygen sensor. Need to put in new front struts and get an alignment. Also bought new headlights for $80 a pair because the old ones had glossed over and you couldn't see them.

I have no intentions of selling this car. It does everything I need it to do. I hope to get 300K on it. I intentionally chose the 5 speed because I didn't want to deal with an auto tranny down the road.

I've never noticed road noise but it would have to be bad for me to notice given my other car is an F150 with A/T tires.
Posted By: John_G Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with ANY Honda product, from lawn mowers to automobiles. They make stuff that works and lasts.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
A friend of mine has one and she loves it. She said she has never got stuck in the snow with it and enjoys the fuel economy. She is a retired school bus driver..in her 70's.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Love ours. No problems yet.
Posted By: thirdbite Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Can anyone compare the CRV to the Honda Pilot?
Posted By: whelennut Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
My girlfriend sold her CRV and bought a Subaru.
She likes the Subaru better.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
I had a Honda Civic, which I think was the precursor to the current CRV. I bought it years ago with 125k miles on it. I put almost 100k miles on it myself, then sold it cheap to a college student, who finished the last 2 semesters of college driving it.
It drove forever without a hitch.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by thirdbite

If you are referring to ride and road noise, night and day but for 20k, there should be.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
My Son has a Pilot. Great car, but poor mileage.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14

I have both----a 2005 CRV and a 2012 Pilot. The Pilot has softer seats and is a little quieter, but surprisingly little difference in that department. The Pilot being heavier just has a softer ride. Our '05 CRV is plenty comfortable for long trips however. I suspect the 2015's are prolly quieter and a better ride than my '05 too. Honda dealer tells me the Pilot still has a noticeably better ride than even the brand new CRVs.

Jordan
Posted By: thirdbite Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

If you are referring to ride and road noise, night and day but for 20k, there should be.

2015 CR-V $23,320 to $32,770 ... 2015 Pilot $29,870 to $41,620 ... [1] Prices shown are American Honda Motor Co., Inc. suggested retail prices only and do not include taxes, license ...
Don't see the $20K difference for similar models.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
My numbers are based on the vehicles I test drove ,not the all knowing internet.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
My wife has a CRV and she likes it for around town errands and we sometimes take it on trips. I find it to have the following issues that I don't like:

Noisy/4 Cylinder idles rough
Seats are on the small side and rather hard
Back seat fits only two adults
Ride is choppy due to short wheelbase
Upholstry/carpet cheap quality, difficult to clean

My daughters had a Civic and it was a nicer vehicle than the CRV.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
I ended up purchasing this unit yesterday.

It's a one owner 2012 CR-V EX AWD with just over 4,000 miles on it. It's basically a brand new car, sans immediate depreciation.

We drove it quite a bit yesterday and the EX trim level is noticeably quieter than the civic we owned but not quite as quiet as the accords we've owned.

(I did find that closing the sun roof cover made a big diff in road noise).

my wife loved it (which would be priority #1) and we got it for $275 over what the dealer paid for it.

thanks for the quick responses!

smile
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I ended up purchasing this unit yesterday.

It's a one owner 2012 CR-V EX AWD with just over 4,000 miles on it. It's basically a brand new car, sans immediate depreciation.

We drove it quite a bit yesterday and the EX trim level is noticeably quieter than the civic we owned but not quite as quiet as the accords we've owned.

(I did find that closing the sun roof cover made a big diff in road noise).

my wife loved it (which would be priority #1) and we got it for $275 over what the dealer paid for it.

thanks for the quick responses!

smile

You done good.
one thing that Honda tries to do is pre-sell a 3-pack of oil changes.

this couple apparently bought the package and (god love 'em) the service history shows they changed the oil twice in that 4,000 miles they drove!

laugh
Posted By: 4ager Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
I hope you bought it. If it's a 5-speed manual, there are conversion modifications out there that add the 6th gear that the transmission is already set up for. It'd cost you about $1k-1500 in parts and labor, but kick the gas mileage up from low/mid 20s to just over 30.
it has the standard (mechanical, not CVT) automatic transmission
Posted By: 4ager Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Well, there goes that. Most are automatics, so finding a manual is rare enough.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
I bought daughter daughter #2 (of 4....) a new CRV when she graduated from High School 12 years ago. It now has approaching 200,000 miles on it. If you ran it through a detail shop, then took it out for a long test drive, you would (almost) not believe it wasn't a brand new car. Runs like new. Drives like new. Cleans up to look like new inside and out. Fantastic.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Change the oil and the timing belt and you can drive them practically forever. Talked to a Honda rep that worked at the Marysville, OH assembly plant, during her time there a gentleman drove a Honda in that had a documented 500K miles on it and was still gong strong. They are very well made vehicles, especially the engines.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Change the oil and the timing belt and you can drive them practically forever. Talked to a Honda rep that worked at the Marysville, OH assembly plant, during her time there a gentleman drove a Honda in that had a documented 500K miles on it and was still gong strong. They are very well made vehicles, especially the engines.

The CR-V's no longer have a timing belt, they use a timing chain. I believe this started in 2002.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/21/14
Thank god for small miracles.
Posted By: penrod72 Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/22/14
My mother has an older (2005?) CRV, likes it a lot. I have driven it a few hundred miles, most annoying thins I find are the tire noise, and those darn headlights that you have to turn on and off manually.
Posted By: Stoneybroke Re: Honda CRV. opinions? - 11/22/14
Son has a 2012. Daughter has a 2013. Both suffer from wind and tire noise. 4 banger is buzzy, underpowered and interior looks cheap. However, they never break.
© 24hourcampfire