Home
Posted By: Boise AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
My gawd our local Bakan Park store sucks!

We're going on three months trying to get my wife a new phone. Maybe some of you will be able to laugh at our misery.

We have little to no Verison coverage at our home so we are trying to switch over to AT&T. So I go into the local ATT store, and of course I have to wait then get some young twit that stands there snapping a little suction cup against the counter every couple of seconds until I have to tell him that it is annoying. His manager was standing only a few feet away but must of thought the behaviour was acceptable.

We be my wife's iPhone 6 on order and I pay the full $650 up front cost. I get home and am reviewing the order and find they ordered the 16G model and not the 64G model I had requested. Now you would think one would be able to easily change the order but NO. Even though the store manager says I can change the order he is wrong as I clearly learn from AT&T website and again after speaking with a service rep. You wouldn't believe their their solution: wait the four weeks and then refuse delivery BUT the phone is being delivered to the store so of course they accept delivery. So it's back down to the store and explain the situation and they graciously agree to waive the restocking fee for the phone I didn't request.

Thinking it might work if my wife was actually there at the store (a mono thing), we go in and reorder the phone taking care to double check their work before leaving.

I track the USPS shipment and see the phone arrive at the store last Saturday. We wait all this week but no notification from the store. I look again at the USPS tracking and it says, rerouted. Oh carp!

This morning I log into ATT and receive an error message whenever I attempted to pull up our phone order. So I call AT&T and get some mush mouthed, English is my second language, person. Obviously something is wrong so mushy says they'll transfer to someone that will resolve the issue. Bet you know how this goes: yep, on hold for a long time until I hear the click and see my call has been ended.

I'm not one to give up so I call back, get in their wait que, they say 2 minute wait, and after 5 minutes someone answers. This call goes for 25 minutes and they still don't have a resolution but said, "We'll call you back." So now I know my order will be resolved - they're going to call me back.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
You need to go up the ladder until you are happy.

Try calling customer service until an American answers your call.... I get an Indian/Pakistani, I just hang up and call again. It doesn't take long to get a real American, (and worth the effort.)
Posted By: Bwana338 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
I called Verizon and complained about there coverage where i live. solution was they gave me a 50% discount on a device that plugs into my internet and provides great coverage as long as you are with in about 30 feet of the device with your cell phone and with an ear piece i can be another 20 feet from my cell phone.

Verizon next day delivered the device at no extra cost and i was given a 30 trial period to test the device to see if i would be happy with it. works great by the way.

Here is what i would do:
I would call the AT&T business manager you are dealing with and ask them where your new phone is at and give them 2 business days to get it in your hands. Explain that to them and that after the two day and you do not have the phone that you will be calling your credit card company to dispute the charges as you have not received your merchandise as promises.

Posted By: eh76 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
I get my phones through Sams Club. They handle both AT&T and Verizon.
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
Verizon offered the PC based fixed but our internet is so slow it wouldn't work. I complained numerous times about coverage, they even noted I had numerous dropped calls but there was never any mention of a discount. They did lie to me several times saying they would be improving service to our area but of course that never happened.

It is my intention to sue them in small claims court for the extra I'm paying for my wife's line and for what ever else I can get. I'm betting my complaint will fall on a sympathetic judge's ear.

I tried our local Sams Club and they didn't have the latest phones available when I was at the store but that's been nearly 3 months ago so... This may be a better plan.

Still no ATT call back.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14

ATT sucks donkey balls. The entire corporation. I decided this about 15 years ago and see no reason to change my opinion of them now.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
att= sucks I have a tower 7 miles away in the middle of no where on top of a mtn ...and I can only receive calls I can't make any ...and no amount of talkin to them gets ya any where...
Posted By: Scott F Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
several years ago I needed a cell phone for about three months. ATT had a deal where you bot a cheap phone and got a grate monthly rate by allowing them to do an automated debit withdrawal. In big bold letters you could stop service at any time. Three months were up and I called to stop service. They could not stop it because there software system was down. called back the next week, same story. Up the chain to district CS and got the same story. Three months later I closed my bank account and started another in order to get them to quit the automatic withdraws. Then they sent ma a nasty letter threatening be with legal action if I did not pay them. I had a laugh at that as my contract stated clearly I could stop at any time.

They got me once, they will never see another penny from me.

Ten years with Verizon and they have bent over backwards to keep me.
Posted By: 308ragincajun Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14

Several months ago, my wife switched from Verizon to ATT. Verizon had apparently done something to piss her off. since then, we have had nothing but problems with the way the phones function and service at the local AT&T store. I wish we could get Verizon back, but we are in a contract.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
If you think that's bad,try working for those a-holes for almost twenty years and get hurt in a car wreck. Your little rant ain't spit...
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14

My next door neighbor wired up his house with ATT U-verse.

The ATT truck is parked in his driveway so often, he's renting out one of his spare bedrooms to the crew.

Posted By: mirage243 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
I've been with AT&T for over 15 years and just switched to Verizon, I love it, don't know why I waited so long.
Posted By: slumlord Re: AT&T Rant - 11/22/14
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
If you think that's bad,try working for those a-holes for almost twenty years and get hurt in a car wreck. Your little rant ain't spit...
lay it on us oh great Story Feller

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
I've had AT&T for years because Verizon told me they had no service in this area. I've never had a serious problem, but I'm glad you folks are happy with Verizon. It helps keep those pension checks coming in every month!
Posted By: bucktales Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Truth.
They just bailed on us and sold us to Frontier last month. Glad they're gone.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
Don't expect any miracles out of Frontier. I've been a Frontier customer since they bought out Citizens years ago and they do okay, but they're stretched pretty thin.

The fact is that there's just not any money to be made in the landline business. A lot of new companies tried, but even by cherry-picking the prime markets, they pretty much all went under.

Thirty years after the feds broke up the Bell System, they still control prices and even force the local companies to allow competitors to install their equipment inside their offices. The only way to make a profit is with internet, cellular, and video, which aren't covered by the original ruling. The competition for those services is pretty fierce.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
I've been with AT&T for years. Only been in an AT&T store once. Customer Service / Sales Reps are the biggest idiots I've seen in the Cell Phone business.

I've bought all my IPhones through BestBuy. Great service, knowledgable sales staff, and better than going direct through AT&T on the Phone's as they will meet or beat anyone's prices.
I just have them pull up my AT&T account, buy the phone at BestBuy, and I'm done. And usually end up with at least a $100.00 or more free BestBuy Gift Card to boot. If there is not a BestBuy locally, then got to a Sam's Club.
Posted By: pira114 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've been with AT&T for years. Only been in an AT&T store once. Customer Service / Sales Reps are the biggest idiots I've seen in the Cell Phone business.

I've bought all my IPhones through BestBuy. Great service, knowledgable sales staff, and better than going direct through AT&T on the Phone's as they will meet or beat anyone's prices.
I just have them pull up my AT&T account, buy the phone at BestBuy, and I'm done. And usually end up with at least a $100.00 or more free BestBuy Gift Card to boot. If there is not a BestBuy locally, then got to a Sam's Club.

This is my experience as well. ATT stores are only good for messing around with the phone before you buy since that's the only place that they're turned on. Other than that, ATT stores suck.

I will say that whenever I've called ATT customer service, they've been great. I've had them take money off my bill that I was up front about being legit charges (son didn't understand the way it worked and charged up hundreds of dollars). I was just trying to set up a payment plan and set up alerts for certain usage. Lady said no problem, alerts are set up and we'll just remove the charges. Very cool.

Just stay away from the stores (and iPhones grin ) and you'll be fine.
Posted By: CLB Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
I was an AT&T Uverse customer for a while and this sale to Frontier gave me a great excuse to bring in Comcast which I am thrilled about.

When they flipped the switch at AT&T, they effectively [bleep] over every Connecticut Uverse customer. I went 4 days with partial service, then 8 days with nothing. No phone, internet, or TV.

Had 2 technicians in my house, about twenty phone calls in a bunch of excuses....an epic cluster [bleep].
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
I left Honduras in Mar 08 and was headed to AL. Went to TX for a couple weeks on the way and decided it was time to get a cell phone. Roll into the AT&T store, pick one I want, dude assures me they have service and coverage in Enterprise, AL. I get there and the service sucks, no bars at the house, a couple in the local area.

Soooo, after I get a landline turned on at the house, I place a call to their customer service. Long story short, guy tells me I need to move about 25 miles north to ensure good coverage. I was still in the 30 day trial period, cancelled it and never looked back.
Posted By: bucktales Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by CLB
I was an AT&T Uverse customer for a while and this sale to Frontier gave me a great excuse to bring in Comcast which I am thrilled about.

When they flipped the switch at AT&T, they effectively [bleep] over every Connecticut Uverse customer. I went 4 days with partial service, then 8 days with nothing. No phone, internet, or TV.

Had 2 technicians in my house, about twenty phone calls in a bunch of excuses....an epic cluster [bleep].

Most of the troubles stem from AT&T's handoff to Frontier. You know, kind of like a parting shot and rumors of sabotage on AT&T's part of the transition. Non compatible data bases ,routing and the likes.
Thank God I have the time in already, so it's only a few years before I pull the rip cord and retire.
Posted By: victoro Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by tjm10025

ATT sucks donkey balls. The entire corporation. I decided this about 15 years ago and see no reason to change my opinion of them now.

I agree but all big corporations today are just like AT&T. They are all still into "Affirmative Action" big time so most of the employees (and especially the managers) are not the most qualified people. I worked for AT&T for 30 years (Western Electric-20yrs. Southwestern Bell-10 yrs.) and have done contract work for them off and on for the last 20+ yrs. The sad thing is that when AT&T employees have to deal with different AT&T departments they go through the same misery the general public does. If you get somebody on the phone that you can't understand (which is usually the case) you can insist on talking to someone in the USA.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: AT&T Rant - 11/23/14
So there I was on a sage rat hunting trip to Oregon, where my old friend lives. Oh NO! My AT&T cell phone craps out - dead. No matter, there's an AT&T store just up the highway from the hotel. I stop in and tell the pimple faced know-it-all behind the desk that I need a new phone. We agree on a phone and I give him my old one as the number is on a label stuck to the case. I also show him that my wife's phone number is also on the case - do not mix them up! He does his thing on the computer and away I go. Next thing I know is that I could only receive calls for my wife's phone, and I couldn't call out. A trip back to AT&T was a nightmare, they could only completely disable my wife's phone and reprogram mine. When I got back to California we had to go to another AT&T store and have a new SIM card installed in her phone.

We now use Tracfone for mobile phone calls, knowing that we have OnStar in her truck as backup when on the road. AT&T can plant it's lips on hot pavement as far as I am concerned. As for AT&T Uverse, I'd rather have a root canal without xylocaine.
Posted By: Redneck Re: AT&T Rant - 11/24/14

The ATT truck is parked in his driveway so often, he's renting out one of his spare bedrooms to the crew.

LMAO..

We've had Verizon for years now - and it's been fine (so far).. No lapse in coverage, even in Rapid City.. And in Sturgis... And in Custer, Hill City, Deadwood, Lead, yada yada yada... NO problems to date..

Guess we're lucky..
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: AT&T Rant - 11/24/14
After having a local cell carrier for years my wife and I went with Consumer Cellular (AT&T system) and saved half of our previous bill. We pay for 600 minutes call time and 1000 texts shared. This costs 39 dollars and some cents per month with aarp discount for our two phones.

We own the phones that are Doro brand flip phones (nothing fancy) and the coverage here west of Green Bay WI. is adequate.
B-I-L has the same plan and then upgraded to a fancy phone and did run into problems and is back to the Doro phone. Doros are around $60 each.
Posted By: joken2 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/24/14

Same story for my son and his wife.
Lost count of the times they've had to place service calls for problems with their AT&T U-verse.
Daughter-in-law told us last night that they had to place yet another AT&T service call on their U-verse connection scheduled for today.

I know I sure do miss our old BellSouth service.
I've even heard a few senior AT&T service technicians express the exact same sentiments as well.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: AT&T Rant - 11/25/14
I cancelled my order with ATT for two IPhone 6+, been on order for two months. Sent me an email Friday that it would take another 10-12 weeks.

Went into a sprint store this morning, guess what they had on the shelf. Went to Walmart later, they had them too. Got two from sprint.
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 11/25/14
Finally, yesterday evening, after store hours, the Bakan Park AT&T store manager called to let me know my phone was in their store. You know, the phone that I tracked arriving at their store a week ago last Friday. My wife is headed there today to pick it up. I'll cover all bets that it doesn't go smoothly.

Again, for all you Verison fans, Verison service at my home is extremely poor with no to little coverage and many dropped calls when I do get through.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: AT&T Rant - 11/25/14
Have had good luck with U-Verse; but for cell phone I got one word:
VERIZON
Posted By: Scott F Re: AT&T Rant - 11/25/14
Verizon is great except when it doesn't work where your are.
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 11/26/14
Just too funny not to share this update: my wife arrives at the store to pick up her phone, you'll never guess. The store has moved! No mention where to so its up to us to find them.

You would have thought the store manager just may have mentioned this tid bit when I spoke with him last night.
Posted By: Scott F Re: AT&T Rant - 11/26/14
That would be funny if it wasn't so irritating!
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 11/26/14
Soooo, I call ATT and we've all been there, its a bunch of BS and finally reach someone. They're pretty much on my side and can't seem to local my phone either BUT, hey wait, there's a new store listed. Wasn't there when I looked just 30 minutes ago so I also go on line. Sure enough, they closed both old stores and opened a new one. Well ain't that special.

My wife is so pissed I should move. She is headed there now and is too nice to say anything to them so I figure to catch hell when she get home.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: AT&T Rant - 11/26/14
I was with cingular then AT+T for cell phone service for 15 years- I dumped my iPhone and AT+T back in September, I using a burner phone, its a Samsung and a plan out of Walmart for 20 bucks a month! I can talk all I want and I have a 50 text message a month limit, I don't like text or even talking on the phone all that much, so it works ok for me, the phone dose not work all that well were I live, but I don't call anybody and I get very few calls and I am saving a good chunk of money a month. Thou I do miss the iPhone some, mostly the apps and checking email before heading into town and free wifi! I know that land lines are well coming to an end and pay phones are dam near none existent these days. Till I go back to work and my needs change the 20 dollar a month deal is fine, it would be better yet if it was just 10 bucks !
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: AT&T Rant - 12/01/14
Called AT&T a few minutes ago to cancel cell service. Freeking miracle happened, they cancelled. Kept trying to get me to reorder the phones, telling me they could get them to me tomorrow. They're like a kid with ADD, gota hit them to keep them on task. In this case it cost them a customer.
Posted By: slumlord Re: AT&T Rant - 12/01/14
They dont care

Theyll tell ya like Direct TV told me

Said "we got 20 million customers, we can make it fine without ya"

Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 12/08/14
Saga continues:

I get my credit card bill and ATT has charged me the full $794.99 for the new phone, PLUS they have me on their "Next" program where I'm signed up to pay $25 per month for 30 months for the same phone. Yep, that's double billing.

So down once again to my local store where I'm told they can't resolve their issue because no one there has the authorization to return the money for the phone. They do offer to take me off their Next program but I'm pissed off enough to want my money back.

Now I call the ATT corporate number and after 72 minutes on the phone their solution is for me to dispute the errant charge with my credit card company. In other words, I need to spend mine and my banks time to resolve their double billing error. I asked if they thought it right for me to spend my time to fix their problem and they said that was the best way. And this was after escalating past a supervisor to an ATT finance manager.

This ATT encounter may very well be the worst purchasing experience in my life. And it still isn't over.
Posted By: Scott F Re: AT&T Rant - 12/09/14
Unbelievable.
Posted By: Redneck Re: AT&T Rant - 12/09/14
Geez....

If you ever (and I mean 'ever') get that resolved, I'd not touch a single ATT item/service again - EVER..
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: AT&T Rant - 12/12/14
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Called AT&T a few minutes ago to cancel cell service. Freeking miracle happened, they cancelled. Kept trying to get me to reorder the phones, telling me they could get them to me tomorrow. They're like a kid with ADD, gota hit them to keep them on task. In this case it cost them a customer.

Decided to check account just because. Well guess what there's a bill for $1998.98. After 30 minutes on the phone with CS I find out the bill is wrong. Another 20 minutes to have them tell me they are giving me a credit for amount of errant charge. GFY
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: AT&T Rant - 12/13/14
Checked account tonight and amount owed is $0.
Posted By: NathanL Re: AT&T Rant - 12/13/14
I had AT&T for a long time for my cell phone. When I got sick I was having issues with it. I was partially paralyzed and could barely walke with the aid of a cane and it wasn pretty ugly. I went into the local AT&T store and asked for a chair because they didn't have any out. I was told they don't provide chairs for costumers because they want you to look around.

Notice if you go into one they don't have any chairs.

Picked up a pre paid cell phone and will change providers once I get done moving.
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 01/09/15
My nightmare continues. Was told by the AT&T rep that it was fixed but found the $794.99 on my bill yet again so called. This time they agree again the charge is incorrect and will have it removed. BUT they can't fix it right now but file a case ensuring me the charge will be removed by January 7.

So I call again today to check on the status of my case noting the $794,99 charge is still on my bill. I ask about my case and am told "it was denied" on Jan 2 - no one had told me.

After 45 minutes on the phone today speaking with Cory McGreggory (with various holds) I'm told "You are correct..." and I'll not be charged the $794.99 "...100% certainty".

I'm guessing it's a 50/50 chance of going my way - same odds it won't go my way.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: AT&T Rant - 01/09/15
I think you're being optimistic.

AT&T has owed me $100 for an unneeded DSL modem for over 18 months now. I've decided that the best course of action is for that money to be turned over to the CA state comptroller as unclaimed property, then claim it.

Needless to say, my AT&T landline went bye about 9 months ago...
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: AT&T Rant - 01/09/15
I just dumped AT&T and went with Verizon. Best move I ever made! One of the AT&T rep's at work warned me about the Frontier take over and how bad they were. He left AT&T just after the take over and came to work for us. Now he gets to deal with them full time to correct their mistakes! No more AT&T for me.
Posted By: ldholton Re: AT&T Rant - 01/09/15
ATT = less bars in all places
Posted By: BGunn Re: AT&T Rant - 01/10/15
With Verizon I had great service except at my house where I had 0 to 1 bars.

Got the Verizon network extender, and now ALWAYS have 4 or 5 bars, Love it !!
You do have to have a decent computer/internet signal.
Posted By: Boise Re: AT&T Rant - 01/10/15
Originally Posted by BGunn
With Verizon I had great service except at my house where I had 0 to 1 bars.

Got the Verizon network extender, and now ALWAYS have 4 or 5 bars, Love it !!
You do have to have a decent computer/internet signal.

We had Verison but very poor coverage at our home and slow satellite internet but ATT coverage is good.
Posted By: GunGeezer Re: AT&T Rant - 01/12/15
Sorry to hear about your ATT experience, wish I could say mine was better. Had a cell with them since '98. (For several years we had one ATT and one Verizon just to make sure we had service where we worked and traveled.) As of May '13, both the wife and I have Verizon cells but we have no other option then ATT for our DSL.

So, since June '13. my ATT file is over 1" thick as I try to get my cell/DSL bill (two accounts) corrected/credited/etc.. I've keep notes on everything: the department, the promises, and the person I talked with (plus what movies they've watched, vacation plans, etc., as we chat while waiting to get picked up by another ATT department that will solve everything - usually get transferred 3 times!!)

I've now logged over 40+ hrs on the phone with ATT reps (also with numerous dropped calls). Today, regardless of all the promises for resolutions, I now have THREE bills lying beside me as I type... each with a different NEW account number! Instead of being double billed, I'm being billed three times for the same DSL line!! (I'm no quitter but no idea how this would turn out if I wasn't retired.)

One tip that has helped some... ask for the "retention department" or tell them you want to cancel your service... the folks in retention have more options for credits, etc. (And their promises are good more often then any of the other departments.)
Posted By: TopCat Re: AT&T Rant - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by Boise
My gawd our local Bakan Park store sucks!

We're going on three months trying to get my wife a new phone. Maybe some of you will be able to laugh at our misery...etc

If this is your initial experience and how they treat you when you are trying to become a customer, how do you think it will go down the line...some things are an indication that things will only get worse and not better.

You have a lot more patience than me...a vendor gets maybe 5 minutes of my time and I'm outta there...

Posted By: rost495 Re: AT&T Rant - 01/12/15
Interesting we had verizon and for some reason ended up going to ATT. I believe our local carrier switched or some such.

Have never had an issue at all with ATT.

We did have sprint once and that was a joke and got rid of them asap.

Personally I suspect it can be individual stores, we haven't had ATT store ever until just now, and I HOPE I can still get our phones from our local land line provider... they have been the reason, I suspect, that our ATT experiences have not been negative ever.
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: AT&T Rant - 01/12/15
Anytime I have an issue with them, I call and ask to be transfered to the Retention Dept. Those folks get paid to do what they can to keep you from switching carriers. I have had pretty good luck, and have received some free stuff to boot.
© 24hourcampfire