Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck The winter project - 11/22/14
My Chuckette and I are inveterate DIYers. We have an old camp trailer that we've been racking our brains over. The bed is only 48" wide and we've been trying to figure out a way to widen it without extending the front of the trailer. We finally gave up and bought this '76 23' camper to renovate. We paid $700 and I'm sure you'll think it's worth every cent of it. grin All the lights work but I had to cut the brake wire to bring it home yesterday. The breakaway switch is locked and frozen so the brakes were set whenever the light cord is plugged in. The roof leaks badly in several places. I used to be a roofer and this will be a piece of cake to fix. After I'm done, I'll set a sprinkler on the roof to test it before we start underneath.

We'll be tearing out the entire ceiling and possibly all of the walls, adding insulation, and new panels.

All of the cabinets will get either new paint or panels and I'll make new doors and drawer faces all around. We won't leave any of that dark, dismal paneling in place. It all goes.

All of the cushions will get new fabric. Real Tree has a pattern called Max 1 that looks like our local sagebrush and it comes in upholstery fabric so we're using that. We'll make the walls a light cream color to go with it.

The toilet is cracked all around so we'll be replacing that.
We'll be putting in a larger water tank to replace the current 25 gal. one.

There's no fridge and the ceiling is rotted out around the roof vent. We found a rebuilt fridge yesterday with a 2 year warranty so we'll be reworking the cabinets to make it fit.

We'll be replacing the flooring and will put new laminate on the tables & countertop.

At the end of it all, it'll get a new paint job.

This condo will look a lot different by spring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: The winter project - 11/22/14
Sounds like a fun project.
Posted By: yeselk Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
That's kind of like replacing the head and handle on an axe?

Just kidding of course.
Posted By: eh76 Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
The seller should have paid you to haul it off..
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by eh76
The seller should have paid you to haul it off..

+1 laugh
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
It was priced at about 1/2 of the going price here for similar ones. The tires are worth at least 2/3 what I paid for it. If it was 5 years older, it would be in the 'vintage' class where a similar one sells for $3k or more. We saw a 15' 'vintage' that was a total wreck for $4k.
When we get it done, it'll be a classy trailer for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
Nice, good luck on the project!
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
I'm glad it's you. But then, I will no doubt be very impressed with the finished product.
Posted By: norm99 Re: The winter project - 11/23/14
watch for a rotten floor at the steps and hitch, just a caution

norm
Posted By: snubbie Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Hey it's the same color as the old one, though I suspect that may change by the time you're finished.

Having spent a few nights in last year's winter tent project, aka "The Motel" I have no doubt you and Mrs RC will git er done!
Posted By: snubbie Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Though I AM having a difficult time envisioning llamas riding in there!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
That strongly resembles hard work in some ways.
One thing about it, it should be just as you like it when you are done.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by snubbie
Though I AM having a difficult time envisioning llamas riding in there!
I keep reading about people hauling llamas in the back of SUV's, etc. From my experience, the llamas won't be hauled in anything that can't be easy hosed out.
Posted By: rem141r Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
you are an ambitious man. good luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: ringworm Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
You like dags?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Vintage Trailer Supply is your friend. We're on a first name basis after our project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A friend has a trailer he's junking, it's got a good toilet, IIRC, if you're interested.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
i've picked up 2 from craigslist that were free . i'm hunting out of one of them this season.the other i scraped and built a trailer out of the frame.
The cheapest junk I've seen here has been $500 and that's with rotten tires and rusted frames.
Posted By: ringworm Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
I hate fkin pikeys.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
That one would put you in the high rent district around here. Losta my neighbors live in campers much worse than that.
Heat and electric optional.

Originally Posted by weaselsRus

[Linked Image]
Anything with the name Airstream will bring a good price regardless of condition. They're very popular for rebuilding projects. That one appears to have a good body. If the other side is as dent free as this side, it would be in demand.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
There's one in rough shape up on Pritt Mountain.

Currently occupied though.
Posted By: powdr Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Just some sage advice...if it's going to be a deer lease trailer don't do anything that doesn't need it. Make it as nice as you can within reason but don't go overboard. You'll thank me later. powdr
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: The winter project - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
That one would put you in the high rent district around here. Losta my neighbors live in campers much worse than that.
Heat and electric optional.

[quote=weaselsRus]

[Linked Image]

That's our tin can where it sat for 30 yrs. The ranch owner wanted it hauled off. My wife wanted to see my aluminum recycling project, "Baby, you could rebuild this for me, right?" And it snowballed from there.
© 24hourcampfire