Home
Posted By: badger Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/22/14
I'm sorry, but your weather is just rude.

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the picture quality. Cellphone pic while trying to drive on a straight line.

Saw 2 semi trailers flipped over between Douglas and Cheyenne today.
Posted By: badger Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/22/14
Dang, pic is worse than I thought. Basically, stay th hell off the road if you have a trailer or high profile vehicle. 70 mph winds.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/22/14
And the people who get hurricanes complain about a little wind and rain grin just another day in paradise my friend!

A picture on I-80 also known as the Sno Chi Min Trail

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jnyork Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/22/14
Helps keep the riffraff out. laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jnyork
Helps keep the riffraff out. laugh

Yep. Trying to walk in a 70 mph breeze with you pants hanging down around your knee's doesn't work very well.
I wish I could find my pictures of the wind turbine by Rawlins that failed a collapsed due to a rather brisk wind gust. Folded right up.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/22/14
Originally Posted by eh76
I wish I could find my pictures of the wind turbine by Rawlins that failed a collapsed due to a rather brisk wind gust. Folded right up.

Ah, life in Rawlins. A fate worse than death. grin
Could be worse............Rock Springs eek
Posted By: jnyork Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. They do, however, have some redeeming qualities. Folks from other states driving through Wyoming on I-80 stop in there, take one look and swear never to return to Wyoming, certainly not to move here. What's not to like? grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
Point well taken wink

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. They do, however, have some redeeming qualities. Folks from other states driving through Wyoming on I-80 stop in there, take one look and swear never to return to Wyoming, certainly not to move here. What's not to like? grin

That wind blows all the Californians and New Yorker's right out of Wyoming and into Colorado.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That wind blows all the Californians and New Yorker's right out of Wyoming and into Colorado.

Thats too funny
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by badger

I'll take rude weather over rude people any day. I hope you enjoyed your visit, friend!
Posted By: McInnis Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
The first winter I spent here I was complaining about the wind and a construction supt. I work with told me, "If it wasn't for the wind this place would be as crowded as Colorado". That's stayed with me ever since.
Posted By: badger Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by badger

I'll take rude weather over rude people any day. I hope you enjoyed your visit, friend!

It ain't over yet smile Going to be here for a few days. Bison shopping on Monday and Thanksgiving with our daughter. Leaving Friday.
Posted By: byc Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
looking pretty rude in the East this week as well...Especially around GA, SC, NC and TN.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
Will it be like that until June 2015?
Posted By: byc Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
good point!!! wink
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14

That was Arlington. I have a pic from out there of a truck being used to stall the blades on a turbine while a blade was being replaced. The wind picked the truck up and over a crane. Expensive day. smile
Posted By: gmoats Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
And the people who get hurricanes complain about a little wind and rain grin just another day in paradise my friend!

A picture on I-80 also known as the Sno Chi Min Trail

[Linked Image]

�..I'm told that 30 miles both east and west of Laramie on I-80 is the most dangerous stretch of road in America. Last year when I drove to the SHOT show, I counted 9 big-rig trucks blown over on their sides between Laramie and Rawlins (about 90 miles).
The 40+ miles between Wolcott Junction to Coopers Cove are insanely windy - thus all those wind turbines...

When you move to Wyoming, this only happens to you once before you learn two rules:

Codes of the West:

1. Only one car door opens at a time.

2. Always open the door with a very firm grip on the door handle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
3. park facing the wind
Posted By: jnyork Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
The 40+ miles between Wolcott Junction to Coopers Cove are insanely windy - thus all those wind turbines...

When you move to Wyoming, this only happens to you once before you learn two rules:

Codes of the West:

1. Only one car door opens at a time.

2. Always open the door with a very firm grip on the door handle.

[Linked Image]

Exact same thing happened to me, brand new Toyota 92 pickup, wife opened the door downwind, got the door and the fender.
Posted By: Paladin Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/23/14

I was in Medicine Bow in the early 80's when they built the first large wind turbines near East Allen Lake. They got the first tower built and were preparing to set the turbine when the wind up and blew the tower over.

Last time I was there those turbines were derelict with parts and pieces strewn all about. Don't know if they are even still standing.

Wind has been known to blow trains off tracks between Laramie and Cheyenne.

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Hey youse Wyoming guys! - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by gmoats

�..I'm told that 30 miles both east and west of Laramie on I-80 is the most dangerous stretch of road in America. Last year when I drove to the SHOT show, I counted 9 big-rig trucks blown over on their sides between Laramie and Rawlins (about 90 miles).

I don�t know about statistics, but I-80 westbound between Cheyenne and Laramie is dangerous. I never ride alongside an 18 wheeler except when passing, and only then by punching the accelerator and getting past it quickly. I never pass an 18 wheeler unless it is on a straightway or a curve that will put the centrifugal force of the trailer in the direction opposite from my lane. You have to pay attention or the back of a trailer will whip into your lane and swat you like a bug. The worst part is that the truckers are all talking on cell phones while driving this stretch.

Eastbound isn�t so bad because the 10 mile uphill from Laradise to the summit has most trucks going about 20 mph. The biggest danger is if one jumps in your lane while you�re doing 75.
© 24hourcampfire