Home
Posted By: NoCAL Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Awhile back there was a post on the best muffs. There was a specific brand and model recommended but it was not Peltier. Does anyone remember the post or the model? If not, what does everyone recommend for hunting? Not so much for range work.

NoCAL
Posted By: eh76 Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
I use Peltor Tactical 6

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pixarezzo Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Howard Leight?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by eh76
I use Peltor Tactical 6

Ditto... they're excellent..
Posted By: haverluk Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
I have had great luck with MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X.

Picked them up because they are supposed to be far more waterproof/resistant than the other brands.

Three seasons in and they have performed very well. No complaints.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
I use Peltor T6
Only problem is I often accidentally turn it on and run down the batteries.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
I got a pair of Magnum Ear, inside the ear, hearing protectors/amplifiers. I went to my hearing aid guy and got fitted. I am VERY happy with them. They are analog and not tuned to my hearing loss like my every day digital hearing aids, but they work just fine for me and I can hear stuff a long way off. They tame the noise of the loudest firearms down to the point that they just sound like gunshots on TV.
Posted By: Paladin Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by eh76
I use Peltor Tactical 6

Ditto... they're excellent..

^^^^This^^^^

Howard Leight here.

These work GREAT for me!

Virgil B.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
After putting a break on my .06 this year, I bought a set of Howard Leights. At the range I use foam plugs under them, but just the muffs while hunting. At my age I do mostly sitting so I don't do a lot of walking. I did try them a little and with the right setting, I could hear a lot better when walking around. Two F15 jets came over and that was way too much. You cut the sound down so you can just barely hear the wind and they work great. You also get an idea of what you need to work on to cut your noise down as you are sneaking.

I did not get a chance to really use them while sitting very long. I put them on about 25 yards from where I was going to sit, got there and in less than30 seconds I saw the bull I shot a at about 125 yards away. They did do the job as I had no more ringing in my ears than usual and the shot did not seem loud

I have a late buck deer hunt coming up next weekend and I will use them whether I use the .06 or 6.5 Swede loud.

Posted By: sse Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Having used the HL's, which claim protection equivalent to all of the electronic muffs out there, I can say the protection is far from ideal. Shooting indoors, or outdoors at a roofed range with cement floor, the noise protection is nowhere near to that provided by simple ear plugs. In most environments, I think they should be used only with earplugs underneath.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by sse
I think they should be used only with earplugs underneath.

Especially if you wear eye protection because they break the seal around your muff/ear...
That is unquestionably one of the reasons...
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/24/14
Originally Posted by sse
Having used the HL's, which claim protection equivalent to all of the electronic muffs out there, I can say the protection is far from ideal. Shooting indoors, or outdoors at a roofed range with cement floor, the noise protection is nowhere near to that provided by simple ear plugs. In most environments, I think they should be used only with earplugs underneath.

Reread my post, I said I use plugs and muffs at the range. I use eye protection there. Out hunting I seldom have glasses on and they were adequate.

Then reread the OP ,he asked about hunting. His words were " Not so much about range work".
i was talking about shooting at a range...big deal
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Electronic ear muffs - 11/25/14
Part of the beauty of the Magnum Ears, to my way of thinking, is the fact they don't interfere with glasses or with a hat.
© 24hourcampfire