Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
Ran across these recently. The first is my Grandfather, DW Hounshell, at the curing trough. Smoke house behind the farm house, SW Virginia. Taken right after WW II. We did all our own meat slaughter, curing and were pretty much self sufficient.
Second is the same gentleman, but much earlier, with his sons. More were born later, but this is Bill, Charles and Fred. Bill and Charles went on to serve in WW II. Bill with Patton in North Africa and Europe. Tank commander. A Sargent. Charles with the Navy. Gunnery officer on Destroyers. Had 4 ships sunk out from under him. Three by kamakazi.
Third picture is my Mom on the left, (now 98 years old), with Bill, Charles, Fred and my aunt Mable.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
Neat old pictures Sam!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
Thanks for sharing, Sam!

Nice indeed.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14

Cute pictures!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
These old photos can be really interesting.

This is my father and his future FIL, my grandfather. They ran a portable grain grinder for a while at the end of the depression. Shortly after this, Dad joined the navy, 6 mo. before Pearl Harbor. He and Mom got married a few weeks after Pearl. They'd planned it for the following summer but with the war, many couples moved up their plans because of the uncertainty.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
Here's my G,grandfather. Small grocer in Cleveland Tn (Bradley County)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
small world. I have a number of close friends from Cleveland, including one old buddy from elementary school down in Kissimmee FL, that is a doctor there now.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
I have a bunch, but currently the only ones I have posted on Photobucket are of my dad circa WW-2. A few.

[Linked Image]

Dad and his oldest sister

[Linked Image]

Coming home from Europe, Spring 1946. Dad spent almost a year in Europe after the war ended.

[Linked Image]

Feb. 1945. Dad was sent to Europe as a replacement at the height of the Battle of the Bulge. He was sent as a rifleman, but transferred to a medical unit after getting there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
Somewhere my wife has a pic of the inside of a restaurant in Chicago during the depression. It was owned & operated by some of her ancestors. It was a regular eating place of some notables like Al Capone.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Old Family Photos - 11/26/14
There is something about looking at old family photos. Sharing the past, learning more about who we are.
Anyone else have old family photos? Back around WW II or earlier?
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My brother and I driving my grandmom's brother's WWII Surplus 1940 Ford Jeep.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14

My prized BB gun and cowboy hat. My grandmother had that Oldsmobile long enough, I helped drive her back to Montana from California in 1970...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

My prized BB gun and cowboy hat. My grandmother had that Oldsmobile long enough, I helped drive her back to Montana from California in 1970...

[Linked Image]

Daisy md. 25?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
This was my dad's ride during the 2d half of the war. They used them to watch for U boats along both coasts. Dad was a radioman but he had a fine touch for machines and when landing in bad weather got dicey, his captain often put him in the seat to land it. They tried to get him into OCS so he could take flight training but the navy said he was too old, at 27.

I'm not sure if this pic was from his 1st duty in NJ or his last 2 years at Tillamook, OR. The 1 remaining hangar at Tillamook is now a WWII air museum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14

My Grandmother on the left and great uncles and aunts

[Linked Image]

My Dad early in the Korean war.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beefan Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
A well scrubbed bunch, eh76.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
That was 1911
Posted By: ingwe Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My dad on the Rhine....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Thanks for these great old photos - love 'em. Will try to find and post something.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
The family homestead near Denver. My grandpap holding the team.

[Linked Image]

great grandpa on moms side. the tall kid...
[Linked Image]

great grandpa on dads. in back and later in life
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grandpap on the wagon and dads aunt having a beer on the sacks
[Linked Image]

grandpap
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/1907/IMG_0177_zps81712712.jpg[/img]

couple more of great grandpa
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/1907/IMG_4355_zpsf2425cee.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/1907/IMG_4356_zps0f644003.jpg[/img]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14

My all time favorite of my dad in the Yellow Mules, near where Big Sky is now...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Those are all so cool! Some of 'em at or around WWII time frame gave me goosebumps just thinking what they went through!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My granddad (right) on wedding day with his cousin, who was his best man. 1913. Eastern Williamson co. Texas

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My great grandparents at the turn of the century, prescott az

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/kentpowellp/archambeau/Picture007.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My great-great grandmother somewhere around 1885.

The baby in her lap is my great Grandfather, Noah Bristoe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Some more of my dad's WW-2 service.

After the war German civilians were forced to dig up mass graves and properly re-bury bodies around some concentration camps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Czech civilians celebrating after the war

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1129.photobucket.com/a...riends3_edited-1-1_zps3d145d5c.jpg[/img]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My father (center) somewhere in Europe.
[Linked Image]

On his truck mounted crane. (Pants optional.)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
There is something about looking at old family photos. Sharing the past, learning more about who we are.
Anyone else have old family photos? Back around WW II or earlier?

Definitely Sam...

thanks for posting...many of those look just like the same South Western VA and SE WVa family pics I have tons of... Mountain Folks...

They might not have had much in the way of possessions.. but they certainly were Rich in Family, and other values that our society is very poor in nowadays...
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Great pics all, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Cool thread
Posted By: EdM Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My maternal grandmother on the right working at the Booth Cannery in Pittsburg California (where I was born and raised). Hard to imagine that the salmon population was basically decimated with commercial fishing closing in the mid-50's. Mt grandfather and uncles all fished. She cruised a skiff across the Sacramento river, a mile and a half or so, from my mother's home in Collinsville to work every day. The smile says it all to me as I find it hard to imagine many women doing this today. By the way, she was an inch shy of 5'. Tough and, at times, downright mean.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: steve99 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
KRP

The gentleman on the left in the top photo shows good taste in firearms, looks like a Savage 1899. Not still in the family is it? Those are great pictures.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
[Linked Image]

My Dad during WWII.
Originally Posted by steve99
KRP

The gentleman on the left in the top photo shows good taste in firearms, looks like a Savage 1899. Not still in the family is it? Those are great pictures.

My GGfather is sitting and that's his hunting partner, both named Joe. They were quite famous in Arizona territory as lion hunters and were invited by President Roosevelt to hunt with him on Judge Wheeler's ranch in California.

He owned the Old Winsor Hotel on Gurley st. Helped pull the bar out of the Palace when it was burning down and help rebuild it along with other business owners, as it was a famous landmark frequented by the likes of the Earps and Doc Holiday. It was said the Holiday was on such a winning streak at the Palace, that after a couple of months, he went to Tombstone following Wyatt a rich man.

That is a 1899, that picture was taken between 1910 and 1915. Though that wasn't our family's gun, it's funny that my first rifle I bought with my summer ranching money was 99, it was a 60s model in 308. Killed a lot of deer with that gun.

My GGfather died in a horse wreck in rough Az country, hunting a lion for a local rancher solo with one dog. 1915.

Kent
Posted By: willowcreek1996 Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
^
Joe Archambeau my GGfather and Joe Drew had many articles written about them. This one's funny because of the guy they took with them claimed to be treed by their dogs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These aren't my family photos, but some museum photos of Joe Drew, just interesting the equipment and gun he has in the scabbard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
[Linked Image]
On the farm during the Oklahoma "Dust Bowl" - My mom (on left) with her uncle and older sister (Geri)

[Linked Image]
My mom (left), older sister Geri, and baby brother (Vince) and a younger sister (Helen.) Total of eight sisters and one brother.

[Linked Image]
My mom waiting for her fiance (my dad) to return from the war.

[Linked Image]
My mom and dad, right after the war

[Linked Image]
My mom on her honeymoon at an undisclosed hotel. (I got this photo from one of my aunts a few years after my dad passed away.)

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/orangeokie/Mom%20and%20Dad/6-24086.jpg[/img]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
Another pic from the war...

My dad someplace in France or Germany with a pike he no doubt killed with a grenade...

[Linked Image]

Probably beat C-rats!
One of the greatest men I ever knew. My cousin Carlisle.

[Linked Image]
Here he is again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ihookem Re: Old Family Photos - 11/27/14
My great grandpa in the middle around 1900 in Upper Micihigan or northern Wisconsin. Before he left in the fall he left a dollar for his wife in case she needed it for something. In the spring when he came back she still had the dollars. I don't know where I went wrong.[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
[Linked Image]
Hunters in 1944 check in a deer at a check station. Today, check stations are a thing of
the past, as all Oklahoma deer hunters must use the Internet to check in their harvested
game. Photo Provided by Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
A few from Gila River, AZ 'Internment camp' during WWII, and a couple others of my aunt's beau and friends before he headed off to war with the 442nd RCT. He was killed in action in Italy. A pic or two after the war too. Neat thread.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...lt%20Point/2011-07-10_18-36-15_799-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Aya%20and%20Salt%20Point/442pic2.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
Love these old pics. Thanks for sharing 'em!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
[Linked Image]

Wisconsin family farm established in 1862. First house was made of logs and can be seen in rear of new two-story house.
My paternal ancestors. Left to right rear: Great grandmother, GG grandmother, Great grandfather. Front: Aunt, grandfather.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
what a great thread!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
My Great Grandfather, and his family. Mom's side of the family. Picture taken about 1908. SW Virginia, in the mountains.
[Linked Image]

My Dad's mother, top left, taken in 1914. The kids are my Dad on the left, his twin brother on the right. Middle Georgia.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
[Linked Image]

Grandfather ...1940-ish when stationed in Panchevo.

Posted By: benchman Re: Old Family Photos - 11/28/14
My Great Grandfather getting lunch, Erie, Pa. [Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire