Home
Posted By: powdr The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
I'm sitting here watching the LSU and Auburn game from 1988 but the smells are still the same. The dressing, the cherry pie, and the ham finishing up in the oven. The rolls sitting on the cabinet. The scented candle w/it's red glow and sweet smell. Ever since I was a young boy those are my favorite smells. I'm so glad we live in a country that celebrates Thanksgiving because we truly do have a lot to be thankful for. powdr
Amen!
The smell of the first wild pig (boar)I shot was a memorable smell!!!!
Viet Nam, November, 1965, Ia Drang Valley. Smell of death all around us, hard to forget.

Respects,
Richard
Posted By: powdr Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
A heart moving battle I'm glad I was not a part of. powdr
Cheeseburgers from the O Club at NAS Sand Point (1950s)
I remember my first whiff of a full on yeast infection in gal's snatch, fall of '84. I'm still scarred.

Downwind of burning people.

Many times. The smell is still in my nose.

kd
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Viet Nam, November, 1965, Ia Drang Valley. Smell of death all around us, hard to forget.

Respects,
Richard

Welcome Home, Richard. smile

You too, kudodude. smile

I'm thankful we have better things to smell now.
Antifreeze on pavement.

Respects,
Richard

God bless you sir. Thank you for your service.
Exhaust from two P&W R-1830 radials coming to life at dusk on a hot humid evening..
A just fired paper shotshell

A diesel tractor

my bride's perfume

A trick or treat bag

I have some nasty ones, too. For those who have them, I hope, at some point, they are replaced with great ones.
Watering tomato plants on a summer evening.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
A just fired paper shotshell

For shore ^^^^^^^

The first whiff from a freshly opened bag of good coffee.

Honey Suckle.

And my all time favorite,,,, BACON!
I thank you for the kind words.

Funny, almost 50 years ago now, and it still never goes away.

Vivid nightmares, smells that bring back memory's, alarms setting off as I go through metal detectors, ect., ect.. At 71, now I kind of doubt things are change much in the time I have.

The boys I feel sorry for are our soldiers fighting the irregulars in the Mts. of Afghanistan. They just have no way of knowing who is who.

Respects,
Richard
As a kid....sagebrush, .22 longrifle powder, Hoppes Number 9.

My Grandmothers cinnamon roll coming out of the oven.

The smell of the springtime prairie when you're laying in the grass with the first girl you've ever kissed.
The smell of elk on the wind
Black shoe polish and blue starch
Bag balm
baby power and cloth diapers
rasping a horses hoof
Sourdough bread pudding.
Hoppes #9

Marijuana

Mercaptan

Cinnamon

Skunk
First cup of French-Press coffee brought by the kitchen "Toto" on my first African sunrise whilst on safari..
French Presses are awesome!
Originally Posted by kududude

kd

This... frown

kd

Yep, that is one smell that lasts awhile.......
Posted By: pal Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
Viet Nam, November, 1965, Ia Drang Valley. Smell of death all around us, hard to forget...

The smell of human excrement and diesel burning.
You guys are morbid. How about the first time you open a bag with a new leather holster in it? Or the woods when it's been too long since you've been in them? Or a beautiful woman? A fresh Christmas tree. Thanksgiving dinner cooking.
[quote=powdr]I'm sitting here watching the LSU and Auburn game from 1988 but the smells are still the same. The dressing, the cherry pie, and the ham finishing up in the oven. The rolls sitting on the cabinet. The scented candle w/it's red glow and sweet smell. Ever since I was a young boy those are my favorite smells. I'm so glad we live in a country that celebrates Thanksgiving because we truly do have a lot to be thankful for. powdr [/quote
You are so right bro. Have a great Thanks Giving. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by luv2safari

kd

This... frown

Having hauled lots of burn victims in Iraq, that is a smell you dont ever forget. No matter how hard you try.
Posted By: eh76 Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by 270winchester
You guys are morbid. How about the first time you open a bag with a new leather holster in it? Or the woods when it's been too long since you've been in them? Or a beautiful woman? A fresh Christmas tree. Thanksgiving dinner cooking.

No they aren't morbid. Thank God I didn't have to experience what they did. My Dad did, he would be 86 this coming January if he hadn't passed away in 1994. He too saw the horrors of war in Korea and Vietnam. It was all over by the time I came of age but I remember him struggling with some of the memories ans things that brought them back. These are things you cannot help.

For me many of the thing mentioned above bring back memories some of which are pleasant and some not.

A Happy Thanksgiving to you all. And a special thanks to those of you who served like my Dad did.
Posted By: old70 Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
Michigan woods in fall after a year out of country.

Freshly blown up pine trees, the acrid tang of c4 residue and pine sap.

My wife's hair after a long time away.

And the smell of the army will always be diesel exhaust, CLP, and body funk.
Vicks VapoRub.
Horse lather.

Just fired waxed paper hull.

Fox squirrel.

Piney woods.

Damp mesquite in cool fall.

Yellow carpet of fresh aspen.

Marina in salt bay water.

Spawning crappie.

Rutty bull elk.

Scaulding ducks.

Dry cows, two or four legged.
Wet dog.
Burning barrels of crap in Iraq. Very specific odor to say the least!
PooPoo fondue!
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by luv2safari

kd

This... frown

Having hauled lots of burn victims in Iraq, that is a smell you dont ever forget. No matter how hard you try.

Someone like you hauled some of my friends out of a couple of places I was sure a pilot wouldn't drop into.

Wish I could buy you all a beer.
The first thunderstorm after 5 months of hard winter. Magical.
Originally Posted by pal
Wet dog.

LOL...
Y E S !! X 7

grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Respects,
Richard

God bless you sir. Thank you for your service.

+1 from here.

I will keep it on the pleasant side too, and try to forget the rest.

Someone mentioned the small of spawning crappie..

To that I'll add the smell of spawning bluegills.

And one of my faves...the smell of a newly spent paper shotgun shell on a frosty fall morning...
Posted By: 700LH Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
Idaho when I was a kid.
Driving into the valley on 95 would always bring the wonderful smell of SW Idaho. I still occasionally get a whiff of that wonderful aroma now and then in rural areas, and it brings good memories every time.
Thanks for reminding me about paper shotgun shells. Nothing like the smell of a Mohawk brand .410 shell when the air was just a little brisk.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
I've volunteered off and on since the mid 1970's working on a couple of Search teams looking for lost or missing people. I've pulled a couple of bodies out of rivers after 3-4 days. Both in the early 1980's. Still can't get that smell out of my head.

That was primarily during HS and college and then again after retiring. In between I worked as a teacher and HS football coach. Smelling the paint as we lined off a field of freshly cut grass always signaled the beginning of a new year.
Sometimes when I think about a girl I dated several years ago, I swear I can smell her perfume.
The smell of a fish processing plant.
Honey suckle in the evening. I would smell it when I walked home from my girlfriends house now my wife. I smelled it when me and my uncle were fishing in beech creek for bluegills with fly rods too, my uncle is very dear to me so every time I smell it I think of my bride in her prime and my dear old uncle in his golden years. The smell of a baking turkey is also heavenly and the smell of a pumb granny reminds me of my grandmother, she always had some in season.
The smell of a creosoted pole. Any other lineman out there will remember that one.

The smell of Alaska. I've never smelled anything like it anywhere else.

Salt marsh early in the morning.

Woodsmoke from a campfire.

All good smells with good memories.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/27/14
After 3 years in south east asia, the smell of cedar and spruce trees, and sage brush, in N.W. Colorado, And mom's apple pie,Rio7
'

Submarine atmosphere.

That odor reminds me of both good and bad days... I can detect it on archived paperwork from decades past... An odd odor that I find somewhat comforting.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Fire.

Murphys oil soap.- every year, around this time, as a kid we had to move all the furniture to scrub all the grime and cigarette smoke off the paneling. Never forget that smell.

Hoppes and a few women's perfume.

Baseball glove leather and infield dirt.

Plastic toys from youth.

A neighborhood brewery I frequented as a kid- sour suds and grease all over.

My Church.

The river I grew up next to.

And for the morbid...

I had to clean up an accidental gunshot in the hand one time. Room was small 12x20 maybe, and its was less then 10 minutes afterward.
Floor pretty covered, drops as big as dinner plates in a heavy trail. Must've got a artery. Looked like a scene from a movie.couple bone chips layin.
The smell hit like a sledge hammer just inside the door way. Stopped me from entering initially.
It was incredibly hot in the room, like it was very quickly spoiling or fermenting, but it wasnt hardened, or turning black, yet. Still very fluid.

Metallic. Sour. Rusty. Heavy. Almost like it had its own full body mass. Never forget that smell. Can conjure it at will by remembering the clean up.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
The smell of a creosoted pole. Any other lineman out there will remember that one.

Yessir !

Grew up on a salt marsh,so that hits home too. Low tide at that.
Ahh good one bucktales.

Yes, creosoted ties on a blistering summer day. Walked them for miles, hopped a few trains...youth.
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Watering tomato plants on a summer evening.

Thanks Lad. Your mention of watering tomato plants and I could actually smell them as I read.
The crisp, NE Montana prairie "sippin air", on the edge of the grass and sage surrounded riparian coulee, filled with wild roses, snowberries and chokecherries, where my dad and I always opened sharptail and hun season. There was usually some fresh wheat stubble to add to the beautifully complex aroma. Startin to sound like a good whisky, but it was even better.

Mink skinning.

Herb Lenon's coyote lure, J Curtis Grigg's "Pike oil".

Musty Cottonwood leaves, in the fall.
Posted By: eh76 Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
Fresh cut alfalfa field and freshly baled alfalfa.

Respects,
Richard

I salute you, sir & am glad you made it through those hellish 4 days.

MM
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I remember my first whiff of a full on yeast infection in gal's snatch, fall of '84. I'm still scarred.

Didn't think you were skeered of anything laugh ......... Laughin' here as I almost said the smell of a nice puzzy......you did me a one up with that line.

MM
I think i might have known that gal. grin
A skunk on a frosty November night....
The bad smells I'd as soon forget will stay that way until I smell them again, and I hope I don't... Ever.

The good smells...

A horse as you brush and saddle it.

A new truck with leather seats.

A clean baby.

Peach cobbler in the oven.

Bourbon.

The way my granddad's pickup smelled when I was a kid on opening morning of deer season.

The perfume of the first girl I was in love with.

My mother's cooking.

Gun smoke.

A campfire.

Rain on the dryness of the desert.

Evergreen trees on a frosty morning in the mountains.

My dog. (Not when he's wet though.)
Running PT behind Katusa's after a Korean holiday!
IMR4227

Turbine exhaust

Cherry pipe tobacco

Tangerines

Firecrackers on the 4th

Real Christmas trees

Pumpkin bread in the oven
Posted By: rifle Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
I had an uncle who passed yesterday at 90, I remember staying him a couple of summers when my Dad would be overseas and my mother did not want to handle me,plus my two sisters.
I'll never forget his horse barn and learning to ride,then his wood shop in the afternoons till supper time...
Posted By: paint Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
The smell of my horses, a newly powdered lariat rope, and roping steers.

The decaying leaves on the first cool Fall morning.

The smell of my first new deer rifle as I opened it from its box on Christmas morning when I was 14.

The smell of newly worked Osage Orange as I'm making a bow.

And fish smell on my hands after a day on a Small mouth stream.

Ah hell, Buckskin you had to remind me:

The smell of burning sh_t in JP-4, of 3-day old bodies in 95+ heat . . . and that first time up close smell of a real American girl on that freedom bird on the way back - God Bless America
When I was about 7 years old, my grandfather coming home to a warm house after a couple days in the woods cutting balsam. The heat activated the resin on his clothes and the wonderful evergreen smell permeated the downstairs. Would swear I smelled it again just before I found out my mother passed.
Burning hoof while hot seating horse shoes.
The smell of the black mud of the river bank and the river right before dark on a humid summer evening. The smell of northern pike slime to go along with it. Just a slight hint of that smell and I am instantly taken back to several great years when I had access to a farm with a stretch of wild river flowing through it.
Posted By: PSE Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
The smell of the interior of a brand new car. Haven't smelt that for a long time - I love it.

Anyone know why it smells like that??
Honeysuckle
Hoppes #9
Paper hull shotgun shells after you shoot them.

And the smell of freshly plowed dirt the first time I run the tractor & plow through a field that hasn't been cultivated for a year.
Originally Posted by PSE
The smell of the interior of a brand new car. Haven't smelt that for a long time - I love it.

Anyone know why it smells like that??

Stuff that's not good for you... grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell
Outboard motor exhaust, I love that gas, oil mix smell.

And, blush, the smell of a paper mill.
Posted By: toad Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
quaking asp and cottonwood leaves on the ground in the fall

a jug of gunpowder when you crack it open.

Respects,
Richard

I was thinking of specifically burning flesh, but from a different battle/war.

I would say impossible to forget.
The smell of Vietnam, on a warm humid day let a Huey pass by I can close my eyes and smell the nam. I know you who fought there will understand.
Puppy breath.
Posted By: pal Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
Old Spice.
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
Puppy breath.
Or old dog with bad teeth breath............
A summer rain on hot Georgia asphalt.

Borkum Riff pipe tabacco.

A ham in the smoker.

First time I gutted a deer.
When I was 4, I had my tonsils out. Back then (1952), they used ether. It was probably 20 years later before I quit having flashbacks of that smell.
My mom's sourdough bread fresh from the oven - made from sourdough starter that came across the Oregon Trail.

The smell of hot tires, hot brakes and hot clutches in the racing pits.

The Gulf of Mexico. I never noticed it growing up, but when I leave and come back it is unforgettable. Smells like home. smile
Dad's pipe tobacco.

Fired paper shotgun shells.

Ditto fluid on freshly copied test papers.
Black mud at the bottom of a golf course pond where we searched for balls as kids.
Dad's pipe tobacco
Hoppe's #9 and the end of another hunting season
Black powder, wood stove ,fresh cut grass, Iraq, G96, fresh cut hay,hog lot ,Vicks Vapor rub, freshly spread chicken manure, cedar,
Along with Vicks there is Mentholatum. That stuff is still the best for chapped lips.
Smells....

The alert ramp with Dad or when the wind was right.

Baking summer day, fresh ties while waiting for the coal-fired steam special with no cheater power to pound past.

July lightning storms.

The first whiff of hot dirt after winter.

Hay in the barn right after put up.

Cedar in the mill. Pine, too.

Steaks on the grill.

Castrol on race day.
Turtle that's been in a beaver trap for a few days.
Outboard motor exhaust. One of my favorites.
The damp smell of our hunting camp after it was been boarded up and unheated all winter.
An hour and a half in a field ambulance with two burned bodies that we pulled from a crashed T38.

The smells of my first "true love", her hair, her perfume....

Odors, good and bad, bring back good and bad memories.
Wet lab

Swamp muck

A dead guy in the sleeper of a semi, simmering for 8 days in the august heat
Dark-Fired tobacco barns time of the year (citidiots always think they're on fire)

A new puppy

Deer jerky in the dehydrator

--------------

Ehhhhhh, the stank of a sjhitty diaper in a hot car

Smell of a gook girl's puke on a school bus

Tom cat piss
When I go to my sisters house, and she makes the same recipe of lasagna that my mother did, back in the sixties.
For some reason ,my brain is wired ,so that when I smell a certain odor that I haven't smelled in some time, I remember a certain time I smelled it . Not a chronological date, but rather a visual image imprinted in my brain.
Lasagna odor places me in front of the sink, in the kitchen of the house I grew up in.
The smell of a oil burning USN ship.

Years after discharge (1974), I went on the museum cruiser tied up in Buffalo, NY many years ago. The first inhale was like being transported back to the tin can I was on. They smelled exactly the same.

and the smell of my wife.
A speckled trout slick in Galveston's West Bay on an early morning.
I have an original tube of RCBS case lube. Every time I open it it reminds me of the early 70's when I started reloading.
Originally Posted by antlers
A speckled trout slick in Galveston's West Bay on an early morning.

Oh, yeah, or a speck in hand.
Wood smoke from a chimney on the first cold day of fall.

The dust and copper smell of a bobwhite quail.

Hoppes No. 9 when I was a kid in the 60's, It doesn't seem to smell the same now though.

An old Allis Chalmers tractor after it's been working hard.

the smell of the tundra

the smell of the deep woods

coffee brewing

a lil baby fresh out of a bath
The smell of 3031 burned over a dog field in the early Wyoming morning. By the way, 36 grains of the stuff in a Swift case topped off with 55gr V-max is a super mixture.

New car smell of Detroit Iron. Hard to find these days for a number of reasons.
Castrol 2 stroke oil I burned in my old yz 80 as a kid. No other 2 stroke oil smells like it.

puppy breath is unforgettable and a pleasure to smell too.

the smell of mint around the ol pond on my pop home place. Love it! takes me back to my first bluegill.

2legit is dead on with the fresh baithed babs. I miss that smell.
Some already mentioned but:

Sagebrush

2 cycle exhaust

Musky smell of a northern

The smell of a fresh shot shotgun or 22. As a kid, I would pick them up and deeply inhale to get as much of that smell as possible.

Fresh cut hay and fresh baled hay.

Smell of a maternity ward and a newborn baby. Although it isn't necessarily a pleasant smell to most, it reminds me of when my kids were born.

Fresh brushed horse along with a horse that's gotten really sweated up.

The smell of a frog on a horse.

When you catch a whiff of elk in the timber.

Burnt hair when you're branding.

B-vitamin shots.

Burning baling twine.

Sweaty wrestling gear.

Cherry pipe smoke. My great uncle used to smoke and although he died when I was 6 or 7, I still remember that. One of my mentors later in life also smoked a pipe and I really enjoy the memories that smell invokes.
The perfumed scent of my girlfriend's letter as I read it on the fantail of a US Navy Destroyer in the Tonkin Gulf 1966.

The scent of hay while laying in a haystack with aforementioned girl friend watching a lightning storm at home in Bridger, Montana 1967.
Pleasant memories of my grandmother's house when I was a young kid.

The smell of kindling wood starting to burn good in their old cook stove in the early morning hours as she started her daily routine.

Coal burning in her old Warm Morning heater and fireplace grate in the winter.

Boiled coffee.

Made from scratch biscuits basted with home rendered lard baking.

Home cured hog jowl and sausage frying.

Homemade lye soap.

Slight sulfurous 'rotten egg' odor of their well water.

Freshly oiled dirt roads during the dry summer months.
School lunch

Old people

Playdough

A new Iphone

Dog farts

Retards that never floss

Negggars

Tinks 69

Dursban TC

A boston butt over hickory

Orthene

Bong water

Ozone before a t-storm

And...... Renegade 50's garage laugh (dude has 27 dogs in there)
The smell of the Rogue River down by Blossom Bar.
Posted By: pal Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/28/14
The smell of Ambroid model airplane cement, hot fuel resistant dope, and glow fuel.
Originally Posted by slumlord
School lunch

Old people

Playdough

A new Iphone

Dog farts

Retards that never floss

Negggars

Tinks 69

Dursban TC

A boston butt over hickory

Orthene

Bong water

Ozone before a t-storm

And...... Renegade 50's garage laugh (dude has 27 dogs in there)

i agree mad blush laugh laugh laugh

the wife and kids kill me
lazy as heck when im away for 28 days at work
they put em in the gagarge so they dont have to clean mud paws from outside when they come back in

fuggin makes me mad

smells i wont forget

korea when ya get off the plane(land of a thousand stinks)
dead bodies bloated in the sun
burnt bodies
the coppery smell of alot of blood
the entire middle east smell
gut shot deer
your first diaper change
yukon jack
jack daniels
for some reason both of those liquors bring that sour taste to my mouth when i smell them
The smell of marijuana burning, once you smell it, you always recognize it--
Skunk, one you smell it ---
Posted By: PSE Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/29/14
The smell of cow s**t at a feed lot. As a rancher friend once said to me "Smells like money!"
Not sure I agree with that.
The smell of Kentucky in mid April when getting off an air plane after having spent 9 months in Saudi Arabia and Iraq. First time I could say that knew what freedom smelled like and was glad to have made it home to the USA. That air smelled so sweet!
My late father's '76 Ford.

A canvas tent.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/29/14
Low desert vegetation after a light rain
A small baby just after bath and feeding
High sulfur gear lube
Smelling salts in the corner or on the sideline
Leaded gas in the 50s
Posted By: Hugh Re: The smells you never forget! - 11/29/14
My dads saddle shop smell of pipe smoke, leather & whiskey.
The smell of burnt powder when ejecting a spent round just after shooting a deer on a frosty morning. I enjoy that more than anything else about deer hunting.
A beef roast doing a slow braise in the Dutch oven. Makes me drool just thinking about the smell.
A broken Port Orford Cedar arrow shaft. Love the smell of cedar.
pot
mercapton
rutting bull Elk
bacon
popcorn
The smell of elk when you're sneaking through the timber, hits me like a sledge hammer between the eyes.

Others have mentioned the smell of fresh cut or baled alfalfa. I love the smell of irrigated alfalfa when I'm changing water on a field.

We have a pellet stove and I can be outside when it's burning and catch a whiff, it makes me stop what I'm doing & just enjoy the smell.

The sagebrush smell of the first antelope I ever killed. Haven't hunted antelope in close to 25 years now but can still remember the distinctive odour of antelope.

Jim
rattlesnakes. if you handle one you can't wash the smell off.i love the whitetail gut pile smell.

how bout the smell of a pretty lady fresh out of shower when she crawl's into bed beside you.naked of course.

The years of French Toast in the Army. I still wreak at the smell.
2 smells I cant forget and 1 I love..

Ft. Dix - like that of old life

Ft Devens - Splinter City - wet mulch and pine.

I love the smell of old guns..years of oil and grease and powder and old wood.....
The smell of mountains

The smell of Alaska that is better and more distinct.

The smell of my wife.

The smell of a good dog.

Paper shotgun shells. Don't know why I don't go buy a few cases... I really should.

Smell of burned folks. Luckily I didn't have to find that smell due to combat, but I've smelled enough and continue to every so often. Everytime I smell it I wonder how we'll get it into a body bag and out of the house or vehicle...

Salt marsh smells. But its one I don't like. I like hunting and fishign them when its cool, but I don't care at all for the salt smell.
Posted By: ST50 Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/01/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When I was 4, I had my tonsils out. Back then (1952), they used ether. It was probably 20 years later before I quit having flashbacks of that smell.
Same here, about the same age. I can smell it here right now!
The good
The Sierras when you first arrive from SoCal.
The desert after a good rain.
Bacon cooking outdoors.
A lot that others have mentioned.
The worst.
The decomp room at the L.A.County morgue. We had to attend an autopsy when I went through paramedic training. I saw no practical value in it.
Burned bodies. I also wish I had never seen them.
Originally Posted by powdr
I'm sitting here watching the LSU and Auburn game from 1988 but the smells are still the same. The dressing, the cherry pie, and the ham finishing up in the oven. The rolls sitting on the cabinet. The scented candle w/it's red glow and sweet smell. Ever since I was a young boy those are my favorite smells. I'm so glad we live in a country that celebrates Thanksgiving because we truly do have a lot to be thankful for. powdr

The first time i had sex no smell or memory will last longer
A rutting buck, a dog fart and a house full of blood.

Reminds me of "Old Home Bakery"?.....Aye
Originally Posted by smarquez
The good
The Sierras when you first arrive from SoCal.
The desert after a good rain.
Bacon cooking outdoors.
A lot that others have mentioned.
The worst.
The decomp room at the L.A.County morgue. We had to attend an autopsy when I went through paramedic training. I saw no practical value in it.
Burned bodies. I also wish I had never seen them.

Both burned bodies and some folks that die in front of me, those don't bother me so much, but enough so that if I had any artistic ability I could draw exactly each one, they remain vivid in my memory. Not sure how much room I have in there for more... I guess as many more as I see/smell I'm sure.
I schitt my pants a while back! Quite odorous! Me...and bacon from the local Waffle House...don't get along!!
Fresh cut alfalfa, picking/combining corn, hardwood tree leaves in the fall just after freeze, the interior of a diesel-electric submarine, anti-freeze, dog farts (geez), liquid manure (try as I might), Japan, and probably a few more I can't recall at the moment..
Smells and sights that you experience over thirty years of law enforcement leaves unwanted lasting impressions in your head. To many to mention. Wasn't in combat but but I suspect similar to PTS. GW
Korean bar girls with Kimchi breath.
Skinning a brown bear that has been wallowing in a rotten whale carcass,, walrus are almost as bad!
Originally Posted by Hugh
My dads saddle shop smell of pipe smoke, leather & whiskey.

I can smell it now joey.
my mom's apple pie

sunday morning breakfast after barn work

my wife's chicken and dumplins

damp north Missouri woods

freshly open can of copenhagen
The smell of leaves burning in the fall
Smell of grass being cut
Hoppes # 9
Marsh muck
The woods in the fall
BBQ ribs on the grill
The air after a good thunderstorm
Scent of a cigar
The smell of newly issued military uniforms and equipment, back in the days when it was all cotton.

Wet gun dog, of course. Some outfit once sold a mens' cologne by that name. grin

Paul
Who could forget Vicks-Vapo-Rub
Originally Posted by Paul39
The smell of newly issued military uniforms and equipment, back in the days when it was all cotton.

Wet gun dog, of course. Some outfit once sold a mens' cologne by that name. grin

Paul

The fresh issued uniforms reminded me of another smell too.

Our green wool socks and glove liners were issued out of cardboard barrels that had moth balls or crystals in them. Seemed like it took forever for the smell to go away.

To this day every time I smell moth balls it takes me right back to basic training.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Oh yeah, My mom was a big believer in that stuff. And Campho Phenique too. sick
Taint Taint puzzy taint azz just taint

Bob
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2

Mine too,,,, didn't matter whether you had a common cold or Cancer and she'd rub your chest down with Vicks and put you to bed.

And I'd forgotten about Campho Phenique.
Thanks for reminding me. mad

Mine too,,,, didn't matter whether you had a common cold or Cancer and she'd rub your chest down with Vicks and put you to bed.

Just sharing the joy. whistle My Grandma's remedy for damn near everything was a spoon full of sugar with a few (too many) drops of Campho Phenique added to it. sick

She just disregarded the skull and crossbones on the label since that only applied to weaklings.

I'm still kind of amazed I survived childhood.
Lots of good ones mentioned already.

From this past weekend up north:

the "cabin smell" walking in the door

birch bark and wood just getting started in the stove

a freshly opened spear hole in a northern MN lake

fresh walleye and pike just out of the lake (both very distinctive)

fresh whitefish (smells like cucumber)

fresh snow falling

cedar and balsam trees

raw deer meat and tallow

canning venison (not too good, but distinctive anyways)

a fresh dancy tangerine out of my stocking on Christmas morning....picked one at the grove today and when I stuck
my thumb into it to peel it, it was suddenly Christmas morning and I was a kid again....

that was likely not a yeast infection, but probably a protozoal infection.
Symptoms of yeast infection:
1. Thick white discharge.
2. no noticeable odor.
3. intense itching.

symptoms of trimona vaginalis (protozoal)
1. brownish white discharge.
2. extreme rotten fish smell.
3. itching and pain.

if it has an odor, it is bacterial or protozoal. if the discharge is white and little to no odor, then it's yeast.

This is a pubic service announcement from your message board pharmacist.
The steak fart I let go down by the reloading bench after tonight's back straps. It sure didn't want to let me forget it.

Serious hang time. My a$$ sounded like a truck back firing.....
Originally Posted by rphguy

2. no noticeable odor.
3. intense itching.

3. itching and pain.

if it has an odor, it is bacterial or protozoal. if the discharge is white and little to no odor, then it's yeast.

I think we could have done without that little dissertation. sick
Originally Posted by rphguy

2. no noticeable odor.
3. intense itching.

3. itching and pain.

what the phock, i mean seriously what the phock
Pretty gross...
Medicines..... Vicks vapor rub, Absorbine Jr, bug juice, fresh blood, old blood, blood on clothing... gas gangrene...

Outside- the smell of the desert before sunrise, tumbleweeds, and dirt. The smell of the jungle when it is full on humid,
the crisp smell of pines and snow. My current favorite is the smell of the desert in the middle of summer. Hot, dry and kind of grassy. Tickles the nose if you sniff too hard.

Army canvas be it tents or whatever, it has that smell... takes me back years and years...
Diesel always reminds me of APCs, and warming coffee in the exhaust stack. The smell of the inside of your helmet is never forgotten, and hopefully only done once. The smell of Hoppes #9, the greasy smell of LSA, hot coffee in the morning when there is frost on everything and frigging cold.

My dad loves the smell of bacon and eggs, and even though he is getting on in years, when we go 4 wheeling, I always cook him his bacon and eggs...
Soot, oil and coal smoke. I grew up around coal-fired steam locomotives in England until about age ten. Prob'ly forty years later we're up on Mt Washington in NH, they have a coal-fired railway to the summit.

Forgot I even knew that odor, but took me back instantly.

Just sharing the joy. whistle My Grandma's remedy for damn near everything was a spoon full of sugar with a few (too many) drops of Campho Phenique added to it. sick

She just disregarded the skull and crossbones on the label since that only applied to weaklings.

I'm still kind of amazed I survived childhood.

Yea,,, if the illness didn't kill you the cure would.
Only reason I lived through it was because the old man was a firm believer in the hot toddy.
After mom slathered you up with a gallon on two of Vicks and wrapped you in at least five blankets dad would fix you up a glass of hot water, lemon, and honey with a spoonful of whisky in it and you'd forget all about the stink.
Posted By: Mull Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/02/14
Sweet Little Gal. That I Spent The Last
Summer Of High School With. She Smelled Good Enuff To Eat...
I too was subjected to Vick's as a child, Charlie. Passed down from great grandma, to grandma, to my mom.

But I eventually got big enough to fend them off.........
Posted By: LBP Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by DaveKing
'

Submarine atmosphere.

That odor reminds me of both good and bad days... I can detect it on archived paperwork from decades past... An odd odor that I find somewhat comforting.

Not sure it was comforting but a boat has a certain smell.
Posted By: LBP Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/02/14
The sweet smell of a beautiful chubby girl mmmm.

And the 10 day old mom and son decomp call I've been on the last two hours. Young officer said "sarge that's the worst thing I've ever smelt. I replied "you must be new it gets a lot worse than this."

Thank goodness the chubby girl smell snapped me back to reality... wink
Posted By: Rug3 Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/02/14
From the farm in my childhood 1940's
Scraping hogs
Plucking chicken feathers after dunking in scalding hot water
Mom
Brookies
Crayons
Maple sugar shanty while sugaring off
Warming my feet and the smell of steaming wet wool socks against the parlor wood stove rim
Hardwood ashes
Neetsfoot oil on the horse harnesses
Attic of the farm house
Iodine on cuts
Fresh cow manure on a frosty morning
The chicken coup (hated that place)
Dill from the pickling crock
The Shires
Hog pen
Vick's
Beaver caster
Pumpkin pie
Potato, eggs, and venison frying together in the morning.
Fresh warm milk while the foam is still in the pail
Nanny, my old goat
Fish worms

The exhaust of a street rod/musclecar running CAM-2.

My Dad when he came home from working at Oscar Meyer. They still smoked/cured in Madison back then.

No hockey smells from anyone? I'll never forget the propane (?) smell of the Zamboni as it resurfaced the ice before a game!

Hunting dog.
Posted By: EdM Re: The smells you never forget! - 12/02/14
We had a very rustic (no water, no power, outhouse) cabin in Mendocino county outside Pt. Arena that would just be flush with bats when we would show up each trip. Some would leave, others would buzz around the place for the duration. We used to catch them with the old popcorn "over the fireplace" basket. The smell was near stinky but also quite refreshing. Never bothered us in any way yet still there.
fresh cut alfalfa, wall tents, horses, gasoline, pizza in naples italy, fresh elk antler sheds... love all those
This one was mentioned above, but "fresh fired paper shotshell"

I loaded some paper hulls and shot them recently. The smell takes me back to the early 60s and before.
© 24hourcampfire