Home
Posted By: HugAJackass Baby Steps - 11/27/14
In an effort to get the Nation back under the second amendment, I think it's a good time with the incoming congress to push to allow vets to carry in every state like active and retired LEO's do.

Ultimately, of course, this should be the right of every citizen. But we have to fight the lies of the anti's. I think that one way to do that is to increase the data numbers. I think that with the popularity of the military right now, this is doable.

We'd have millions of more people carrying across the country, raising the statistical evidence that such a law would lower crime.

Just a thought. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Shoot, I knew lots of folks in the Army that I wouldnt trust with a gun!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Instead of adding more, why not repeal all the unconstitutional second amendment laws on the books already?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Your trust has nothing to do with their rights.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
I would much rather see a national reciprocity for concealed carry!
No, but just being a vet shouldnt be a reason to carry. I am in favor of everyone being able to carry. Vet doesnt mean familiar with firearms.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
If you can legally own a gun then you should be able to legally carry a gun, period.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
The Viet Nam vets will well remember the art of fragging.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14

Me too!

I also know a lot of LEO's that I wouldn't trust with a gun. The idea is to make it legal for more people.
LEO doesnt mean familiar with firearms either.

As said above, if you can legally own, you should be able to legally carry.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Instead of adding more, why not repeal all the unconstitutional second amendment laws on the books already?

I wish!

I just don't see then doing that right off the bat.

Equating vets with LEO's, they might be able to sell.
No, but just being a vet shouldnt be a reason to carry. I am in favor of everyone being able to carry. Vet doesnt mean familiar with firearms.

Agreed!

Being a LEO shouldn't either. But it's palatable to Democrats and the public at large. I think the argument could be made for retired vets as well thus increasing the numbers with the ultimate goal being constitutional carry for every citizen.

Baby steps
Posted By: antlers Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you can legally own a gun then you should be able to legally carry a gun, period.

Agreed.
Retired LEO's or veterans shouldn't have 'special rights' that the rest of the citizens don't have. Equal rights for everyone, and 'special rights' for no one.

Agreed but Congress won't do that.

Of course

That's the goal.

Baby steps. Win the fights we can.

I think that with the popularity of the military, this could be done, with the new congress.
Even if Congress allowed it, too many states would over ride it anyways.
It's not a question of allowing, it's a question of why are we disallowed.

I can exercise my 1st Amendment Rights without a test.
Liberals, thats why.

Give them enough time and your 1st Amendment rights will be limited. Unless you agree with them.
Even if Congress allowed it, too many states would over ride it anyways.

Not if it's federal law. If that was the case 34 a states would ban Obamacare.

Liberal's need to learn that the 14th works both ways.
Is the sale/possession etc of Marijuana considered illegal by the Feds?
Posted By: smalljawbasser Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Lol. HAJ has illustrated why our government is screwed up.

He postulated a simple idea and asked for thoughts. And not one person just simply agreed with him.

And that's a sample of about 10 people, all of whom I'd bet are good people with extremely conservative values.

No wonder 550 lawyers can't get anything simple accomplished!

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, the thought just sort of jumped off the page at me.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14

This ^^^^
I'm not crazy about the idea of one person having more rights than I do (especially 2nd amendment) just because of military or civil service.

We should all live under the same laws.
No special 2nd amendment rights for military/law enforcement and no Obama Care waivers for congress.
Same laws for everyone,,, period.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

He postulated a simple idea and asked for thoughts. And not one person just simply agreed with him.

And that's a sample of about 10 people, all of whom I'd bet are good people with extremely conservative values.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, the thought just sort of jumped off the page at me.

I actually thought the same thing.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Then replace congress.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Then replace congress.

Yeah, as quickly as possible, too. Not after they have 40 years under their belts.

Or,,, just maybe,,, no one agreed with him because it's a stupid idea.
I have never understood how Congress gets around "...shall not be infringed upon."
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
Originally Posted by Esox357
I would much rather see a national reciprocity for concealed carry!

This.

Then replace congress.

Good luck
I have never understood how Congress gets around "...shall not be infringed upon."

Me neither, so I figure use the lack of logic against them.

I see one of two things happening.

Either they legalize national carry for millions more people, or they take guns out of chips hands.

I see this as a way to back then into a corner.

This ^^^^
I'm not crazy about the idea of one person having more rights than I do (especially 2nd amendment) just because of military or civil service.

No special 2nd amendment rights for military/law enforcement and no Obama Care waivers for congress.

All or nothing will leave us with nothing. Are you happy with that?
Or,,, just maybe,,, no one agreed with him because it's a stupid idea.

An armed society is a peaceful society. Agree?

It would logically follow then, that the more armed citizens, the more peaceful our society would be.

Tell me an idea that you have that you truly believe could be sold to both Congress and the American people, right now, that would put liberty into the hands of millions more people.

Replace congress? Won't happen. What else ya got?

This ^^^^

Beautiful utopia you live in. I wish it were reality.

The only way you can get the 2nd Amendment upheld for everyone is to continuously uphold it for bigger and bigger chunks of society.

The wide brush you and I want would never happen. You know this.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I actually thought the same thing.

Yep! Who would have thought that an idea that would make national carry a possibility for millions of Americans would be considered stupid on this site.

It's actually cracking me up. laugh
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Then replace congress.

Yeah, as quickly as possible, too. Not after they have 40 years under their belts.

Ten four,,,, term limits, balanced budget amendment, and close the borders.
Then we can go about reinstating our rights under the constitution instead of creating more laws that provide for special interests while disregarding the rest of us.

This ^^^^

All or nothing will leave us with nothing. Are you happy with that?

And going along to get along is what got us where we're at. Are you happy with that.

Did you somehow miss the recent election results.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings but I stand by my statement that passing laws that only benefit a select few is a stupid idea.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Baby Steps - 11/27/14
HaJ is arguing for incrementalism, which is how a "democratic" republic has to work. So yes, I would be all for having vets allowed to carry. How many vets do you know that are liberals???
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
HaJ is arguing for incrementalism, which is how a "democratic" republic has to work. So yes, I would be all for having vets allowed to carry. How many vets do you know that are liberals???

So,, you're in favor of congress and trade unions be exempted from O-Care.
Or is "incrementalism" only a good idea when you agree with the law?

As far as liberal vets,,,,, Colin Powell comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
Something has to be done about concealed carry. I have a permit for WA but had to jump through a bunch of good to carry when I visit OR. Forget about CA. If I cross that state line I become a sub human with less rights than a illegal. And here I wasthinking I was born a citizen and covered under the Constitution.
Shall not be infringed unless I cross a state line.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14

Did you somehow miss the recent election results.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings but I stand by my statement that passing laws that only benefit a select few is a stupid idea.

No feelers hurt at all. I know you to be a good man and I have no problem with you speaking your mind.

I didn't miss the election results. What baffles me is that you actually think the results of this election mean that we will have those freedoms under the constitution as a result of this last election.

You trust them more than I do, I guess.
I don't see how proposing a change from the status quo towards the direction we all want to end up at is "going along to get along"
As a Vet I like your idea but I would much rather see every law abiding citizen able to carry in every state. If you can pass a background check you should be able to carry open or concealed in every state.
I'd much rather see that too.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
No way in hell if vote for that.
Why not? If you can pass a background check you should be good to go. That is really all you have to do in WA to get a permit.

Just curious on your reasoning my friend.
Quick reply to the OP. Not directed at your post.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by Scott F
As a Vet I like your idea but I would much rather see every law abiding citizen able to carry in every state. If you can pass a background check you should be able to carry open or concealed in every state.

I'd much rather see that too.

Now there's something we can agree on, but for you to have more gun rights than someone else just because you're a vet isn't something I'd ever vote for.

Again,,,, no different than exempting congressional staff from O-Care just because they're "civil servants" as far as I'm concerned. Two wrongs don't make a right.
The same laws for everyone,,, and enforce the dam things,,,,,,,, and that's my last word on the matter:)
I'm with you 100%, FG.

Creating special classes of people is one of the things ruining this country.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm with you 100%, FG.

THIS!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
Instead lets take "one giant step for mankind" and do away with unconstitutional laws beginning with the GCA of 1968.
Do you really believe that Congress would do that?

I'm with you 100%, FG.

So, when the founders made it so that only male land owners could vote, they were ruining this Country?
Posted By: antlers Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
Ya' learn as ya' go (hopefully). Extending 'special rights' to certain segments of our society, but not to the rest of the citizens, is fundamentally wrong. Equal rights for everyone, and special rights for no one...it's a sound concept.
Do you still think that only male land owners should be allowed to vote in our country...?
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14

Just a thought.

A very elitist thought
I'm with you 100%, FG.

So, when the founders made it so that only male land owners could vote, they were ruining this Country?

Yes. Especially for non-male landless citizens.
Article I. All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; that of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property; in fine, that of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness.

They got this part right.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14
I know I said I was going to zip it but I'd just like to go on record that I'd be happy to give vets a complimentary CCW permit if only male landowners were allowed to vote or own guns. smile

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Baby Steps - 11/28/14

I agree. If you can legally own you should be legal to carry. That does NOT mean all eligible citizens should be carrying. It's like having children, just because you can have them does not mean you should have them. Some folks just can't be trusted with kids or guns. kwg
I know I said I was going to zip it but I'd just like to go on record that I'd be happy to give vets a complimentary CCW permit if only male landowners were allowed to vote or own guns. smile

laugh

So, there are exceptions to your rule!

I thought maybe. smile
Originally Posted by antlers
Do you still think that only male land owners should be allowed to vote in our country...?

To be honest, I've thought long and hard about that.

I do think that there is some merit in the idea. I don't think that it's practical anymore though.

I also think that Senators should be elected by State Legislatures and not in a general election.
Originally Posted by Pat85

Just a thought.

A very elitist thought

Maybe, if it were the end of the story. As I've stated repeatedly though, is that it's an effort to get to universal carry for all.

It's grabbing what segments of our society that we can, while we can.
It sure would change things in DC in one election. wink
I'm with you 100%, FG.

Yes. Especially for non-male landless citizens.

Ok, in that lens, I can see your perspective.

I disagree however.
© 24hourcampfire