Home
He stated that he pulled the trigger on his Sig but it would not fire because Brown had a tight grip on the slide, but on the third try the gun fired.
How could this be? Is this a pistol that can fire the first round in double action, then going to single action? So said pistol needs for the hammer to have room to draw back on the first squeeze? Brown's hand kept the hammer from drawing back?
Gun went out of battery? During the struggle it went back into battery.
I believe he also mentioned that he racked the slide after it failed to fire.
Originally Posted by Esox357

OK, so he is saying that when Brown grabbed the gun over the slide, he slightly moved the slide to the rear, then on the third try the slide had moved back forward to its normal position?

Thank you.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

OK, so he is saying that when Brown grabbed the gun over the slide, he slightly moved the slide to the rear, then on the third try the slide had moved back forward to its normal position?

Thank you.

Yes

THIS
Click here for the transcript of his testimony. Scroll to pages 224 - 226.

It looks like the first time was due to being held out of battery.

After MB stepped back, then reengaged Wilson (still in the car), there was another "click", and that's when Wilson racked the slide to get it to fire.

FC
no external hammer to draw back,
Maybe the pistol didn't fully cycle because MB had his hand on it or the slide bumped into something while they were struggling inside the vehicle?

I'm just throwing stuff out there. I haven't read the transcript.

*** MB got shot in the hand. Maybe it was the first shot and he had his hand on it?
MB goes for DW's pistol.

They struggle over it, MB has his hand on the slide, the pistol fires shooting MB in the hand but it doesn't fully cycle.

DW attempts to fire a second shot.

It doesn't fire, then he racks the slide, cycles a new round, and fires the second shot from inside the vehicle.

??? I'm guessing.
Will a Sig cock the hammer before a new round cycles into the chamber?

Will a short stoke on the slide do this?
I carried one for 7 or 8 years every day, but I never short stroked the thing -- always a full slingshot action on the slide -- more so the slide would fully engage the next round into the feed ramp.

They will come out of battery easily, though. And if there was some pressure on the slide from the perps hand, it probably failed to eject the first round, the click is either on an empty chamber, a spent casing in the chamber, or an out of battery issue. Then the officer racks the action fully and loads and fires.

BUT . . . . . . i wasn't there, and I did not read the transcript. Believeable scenario, though.
With the slide even slightly to the rear a striker fired pistol will not fire. Once the slide is back in place (in battery) the gun will fire, racking the slid again is unnecessary.
The Sig has a hammer, not a striker, I think. Just on a DAO, the hammer has no spur to cock it with, and no single action pull.
I dunno.

DW racked the slide and it fired ... or so it seems.

Like I said. I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The Sig has a hammer, not a striker, I think. Just on a DAO, the hammer has no spur to cock it with, and no single action pull.

My mistake, I thought some one alluded that it was a Glock.
After I read the testimony, I attempted to recreate the condition of the SIG with one of mine. Everything the officer said was easily duplicated.

RS
A question I had in mind that may have been answered here already.
He racked the slide- did he eject a live round or a fired case?
Reports are he fired 12 rounds, was the slide locked back on an empty Mag or did he have one live round left?
By racking the slide he replaced the round under the hammer, eliminating one additional potential cause of the problem.

I'd say it was the best option. He knows it has a fresh round, he knows it's in battery, sounds reasonable to me.
Which Sig was he carrying?
Tap magazine, Rack slide, and Bang. Tap, Rack, Bang this is a common drill to use to figure out why your firearm did not go boom when it should have!

In semi auto firearms the magazine and ammunition are 2 of the weakest links. Making sure your magazine is fully seated and extracting the round that did not fire is a good start!
A couple of things I've heard on the TV ...

DW fired 12 rounds.

The pistol had a 13 round capacity.

I don't know if either is true or fact.

Did DW eject a loaded round and did he keep shooting until he ran out of bullets?

Not that it matters. It was a justified shoot.
SIG 229 in .40 S&W. Twelve round magazine with an additional round in the chamber for a total of thirteen rounds available without a reload.

RS
P229

IMO the slide rack was a reversion to training

tap, Rack reassess,

My money was it ws out of battery and he did what he was trained to do
Originally Posted by gitem_12
P229

IMO the slide rack was a reversion to training

tap, Rack reassess,

My money was it ws out of battery and he did what he was trained to do

And that training worked, and perhaps saved his live.

That's another reason I like to have extra rounds, you never know when you might have to leave a couple live one's the ground.
I learned a lot duck huntin' with an auto at a very early age.

When you have a failure to fire ... cycle the bolt.

It became second nature. grin
© 24hourcampfire