Home
i know nicola tesla and albert einstein have been instrumental in getting us to the point that solar powered cars are the std issue, the status quo.

but, what about a world without the advancement of technology? the siberians, american indians, etc. had bows & arrows. can we allow that?

so, just how much technology is enough? anyone know for sure?

humans without technology? is that a oxymoron?

we're meant to populate the planets around the stars, or not?
Lost as thee.
are you suggesting we don't konow from whince we come, where we are, nor where we're headed next?

i mean, i'm just trying to understand.

is thee a plan, or is it all a free-for-all more or less?
i for one wish we had never crawled out of the mud. it was easier in the mud.
For sure.

Technology is just one facet of evolution which is eternally cyclical, or in layman's terms, 'circular'.
You have to think in circles to understand it.
I doubt it! smile
Well then , if so, Gus would be a professor.
i have responded but all my posts got lost in the etheral.

y'all carry on,
We would be not talking to each other on the Net.
Everything happens for a reason.

Gus might not ever know the reason why but everything happens for a reason.

Roll with it Gus, quit worrying so much.
It's not so bad screaming around in a 1978 Toyota with normal aspiration via Weber. Stick and string don't bother me neither. Primitive dental care? Count me out!

Each technology is incrementally advancing individually, not all as a whole unit with some preconceived outcome in mind. Nobody is setting the bar and asking us to raise it.
Without technology most of us would be DEAD from starvation.
Pre 'computerized/EPA'd' diesel engines are where it's at.

That technology peaked awhile back.

Still possible to grow food without the latest 'improvement'.

The level of production per acre has for sure increased with new practices not necessarily new technologies. Some of both I guess.

The medical field is really the only thing I think we need to keep improving on. Amazing what our doctors and scientists can figure out.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

The level of production per acre has for sure increased with new practices not necessarily new technologies. Some of both I guess.

The medical field is really the only thing I think we need to keep improving on. Amazing what our doctors and scientists can figure out.
netin

to this i can agree. it's amazing what's going on in bio-technology in mediciene and the food sciences with both plants and animals. not everyone might like it, but genetic engineering is probably here to stay unless the Luddites pass laws against it.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I guess it depends on your definition of technology. Those diesel engines you mention are certainly technology. All the fertilizers, pesticides, and even those "practices" you mention are technologies developed, often, in our universities. In the last 110 years we've gone from it taking 30% of the population to feed this country, to 2% feeding it 10 times over.

The modern American farmer is an incredible marvel of modern innovation.
We would be up that well known creek without a paddle.
Paddles were a very early form of technology.
We are headed for a survival war next.
Clothes, spears and rocks are technology. Ready to go hunting bare handed & naked?
I've seen it already on TV.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I've seen it already on TV.

i suspect thatas a society we have invested so much in technology there's no going back. if a neutron or plasma bomb or whatever goes off, we won't have a fall back position.

well, most of us won't, but a few of us might?
STARting from scratch would not be an easy task. without distributed fuel, electricity and food supplies, adapting to a fast & furious change would be detrimental to one's well-being.

maybe we'll know how to get to Mars before it's too late?
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Clothes, spears and rocks are technology. Ready to go hunting bare handed & naked?

It all started because we have opposing thumbs. We could pick up a rock or a stick and do something with it. This forced us to start thinking and one thing lead to the next.
I get a kick out of scientists who go crazy with excitement if a monkey picks up a stick to poke in an ant hill. They make a big deal out of the monkey 'using tools'...after they drive to work in a Toyota and write up all the test results on a computer connected to the internet.
I poke at things with a stick, and I'm not a monkey ... or a scientist.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I guess it depends on your definition of technology. Those diesel engines you mention are certainly technology. All the fertilizers, pesticides, and even those "practices" you mention are technologies developed, often, in our universities. In the last 110 years we've gone from it taking 30% of the population to feed this country, to 2% feeding it 10 times over.

The modern American farmer is an incredible marvel of modern innovation.

This is the real technological innovation that has allowed the world's population to explode. Specifically the development of synthetic fertilizers in the late 1800's and early 1900's, most of which was done in Germany, the UK, and the Nordic countries, not the U.S.

We wouldn't have 7 billion people on the planet now if it weren't for chemical fertilizers, our population would be much lower and a lot more people would be concentrating their labors on food production to feed the population. Chemical fertilizers allowed a lot smaller number of people to produce enough food to feed the entire population, allowing the population numbers to grow and people to move off the farm & concentrate their labors on making other things, things and technologies that led to the world we have today. Without the development of fertilizer, technology wouldn't have been able to develop nearly as far as it has. Whether you view that as good or bad is debatable.

So if you really want to point to one development that contributed the most to the modern technological world we live in, that's the invention of chemical fertilizers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fertilizer

Probably the single largest jump in tech came from the harnessing of electricity. It's not just a light switch. It's industry, automotive, electronics, medicine, communication, science, entertainment. It's hard to think of anything in the last few hundred years that doesn't require electricity.
wacky on the junk

tis evident some are already there
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I poke at things with a stick, and I'm not a monkey ... or a scientist.

ok I'm following you on the scientist part...... whistle

jk, have a great day! grin
© 24hourcampfire